Random Music Talk CXV: Kill Em All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a special place in my heart for gnr solely because November Rain is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Anyone watch the Lemmy Kilmister documentary? It's on Netflix streaming now. I thought it was bad ass that he lived in a 900 dollar a month apartment off the sunset strip just because it was within walking distance of his favorite bars and he filled his apartment with shit he loved.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Also:

Cinderella: No
Skid Row: No
Slaughter: Yes
Firehouse: Big Yes
Great White: No
Bon Jovi: Pre-1987 No, Post 1987 Yes
Mr. Big: Huge Yes
Bullet Boys: Debatable
Warrant: Yes

worse than Poison.

There are some worse than Poison, but Poison due to their popularity are the poster boys for all that's bad about 80's Glam Rock/Metal. Anyone who didn't live through it may have no idea who Firehouse or Mr. Big are/were, but most would know Poison. But the nadir of the movement was without a doubt Warrant's Cherry Pie video. Hard to believe that dreck and Uncle Tom's Cabin were on the same album.

And I knew the Laz defense of Every Rose Has its Thorn was coming, its like sending out the bat signal.

Most of my feelings of those bands are due to their lead singers. I hate hate HATED "Once Bitten Twice Shy", and Jack Russell's vocals are like nails on chalkboard. Sebastian Bach isn't much better, or what's-his-name (Tom something?) from Cinderella. And don't get me started on that tool from Firehouse. My best friend in high school was so deep into this genre and I had to listen to it all the time in his car. Which is why I defend Poison, because for me they were the cream that rose to the top.

Bret Michaels didn't have the obnoxious, screechy voice like many of his contemporaries, so while visually they may be the poster boys (that band logo is so unfortunate), they were considerably more normal-sounding. I don't think a comparison to Cheap Trick is off-base, I hear them in Poison more than Van Halen (which I think you rightfully point to as a main inspiration for many of the bands in this genre). It's in Nothing But A Good Time, Talk Dirty To Me, and others.

GnR had far superior musicianship, far better lyric writing, a darker, deeper, more honest theme to the lyrics.

I suppose there is an interpretation where the rantings of a racist, misogynist, crack-addled hillbilly count as "an honest theme."

Anyone watch the Lemmy Kilmister documentary? It's on Netflix streaming now. I thought it was bad ass that he lived in a 900 dollar a month apartment off the sunset strip just because it was within walking distance of his favorite bars and he filled his apartment with shit he loved.

yeah i watched it the other day (or maybe that was last week already) and had to listen to motorhead for the rest of the day. holy fucking wall of knives.

I suppose there is an interpretation where the rantings of a racist, misogynist, crack-addled hillbilly count as "an honest theme."

Yeah, Axl is one of the biggest asshole frontmen of all time. But sometimes we allow talent to overshadow being an asshole.

I.e. Kanye West

I have recommended Kevin Morby once or twice in this forum, and now that he has an excellent new album out, I will again. He's a great blend of old-school blues, gospel, and folk influences.

Surprised and quite pleased that they played Coma in Vegas. Sounded good.

I'm late and catching up on this thread, but I had to reply to this because I'm shocked anyone here knows this song. One of my favorite GNR songs, and never thought it would be played again live. I actually stayed up watching the show on Periscope and when I heard the opening notes I actually jumped up off the couch and yelled Holy Shit they're playing Coma! The fact that they nailed it brought a tear to my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom