Pearl Jam Discussion Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These prices are a big jump from the last tour and the Ten Club seat offerings are back of arena lower bowl, floor (behind GA) and side upper bowl. Seems like the best lower bowl seats - which were historically reserved for 10C - are going to be platinum and/or dynamic.
In short, wtf.

These prices are a big jump from the last tour and the Ten Club seat offerings are back of arena lower bowl, floor (behind GA) and side upper bowl. Seems like the best lower bowl seats - which were historically reserved for 10C - are going to be platinum and/or dynamic.
In short, wtf.
Yeah MSG and LA, they took all the good lowers out of the 10 club allotment. Green disease indeed,

Yeah MSG and LA, they took all the good lowers out of the 10 club allotment. Green disease indeed,
I don’t like how they group in the back floor seats with the lower bowl. Standing on the back of the floor in front of a folding chair behind the pit sucks. It should be it’s own option.

if a producer told U2 they had to finish an album in 3 weeks, they'd slap him across the face with Rick Rubin's hand.
I believe it was at Rubin's studio. I assume the songs were done and fairly ready to roll, but still. I think they would surprise themselves with the result. I mean Zooropa was 3 months get everything done, and it's fantastic.

I'm very excited about seeing them live again. I find it astonishing that at their age they've only been here twice in the last 15 years, and the last time (2014) was only at a festival. They haven't played proper shows here since 2009, which was one of the best shows I've been to. The new song did little for me and not sure I'll give the album anything more than one cursory spin but pumped to see them live again for the first time in 15 years! Might even go to a couple of shows if they do multiple in Melbourne. I'm gonna be holding a huge sign for Dissident.

I really dislike Fenway as a concert venue, but I've never seen Pearl Jam and that's on my bucket list.

I was selected for the presale and had a turf seat but lost it. Then I had an appointment and had to go to work after so I just gave up.

Is there a general sale or is it sold out now? I wanted the 15th. I would just like to be there, but in my experience at Fenway the only decent sound is on the field. I'm just trying for one ticket
Got GAs for both Fenway shows in September.

Plus the whole MLB site thing is ridiculous, they said my password was wrong so I made a new one and that wouldn't work either.

Ridiculous to have to deal with that, the suck you know what Red Sox mess up everything.

Why can't you just buy it in one step through TM? What happened to Pearl Jam hating TM? I probably brought up a sore subject, sorry

I really dislike Fenway as a concert venue, but I've never seen Pearl Jam and that's on my bucket list.

I was selected for the presale and had a turf seat but lost it. Then I had an appointment and had to go to work after so I just gave up.

Is there a general sale or is it sold out now? I wanted the 15th. I would just like to be there, but in my experience at Fenway the only decent sound is on the field. I'm just trying for one ticket
You no longer need a code to look for tix through redsox.com, so basically the general sale is on, but there's just crap left.
Keep an eye out as the show approaches, some stuff will be released. I'll let you know if/when I see anything.

I think I heard someone elsewhere say they're doing the face value "resale" option for some of these shows? That's how I was able to get some decent lower levels for one of their arena gigs last year. Might have to keep an eye on TM later in the year, but if you're only looking for one, it might not be hard to come by!

They held 10% of tickets as Platinum, dynamically priced to tickets in exchange for having a much larger than normal allotment for the 10 Club.

People are losing their minds over this.

Ticketmaster sucks - don't get me wrong. But the real issue here, to me, is that the band doesn't play nearly enough dates and cities on these tours anymore. Inevitably people will get squeezed out of tickets, and then be faced with a big sticker price or not seeing the show.

20 North American dates... 8 cities. It's not nearly enough to meet demand.

But the real issue here, to me, is that the band doesn't play nearly enough dates and cities on these tours anymore. Inevitably people will get squeezed out of tickets, and then be faced with a big sticker price or not seeing the show.

20 North American dates... 8 cities. It's not nearly enough to meet demand.
They’re playing 2 nights of stadiums in Chicago and Boston… and 2 arena shows in NY. :cautious:

The European tour sales are a total clusterfuck. The ticket prices are at an all-time high (higher in some cases than some of the more popular acts here such as Springsteen or AC/DC - 160 pounds for the London show, 165 Euros for Barcelona, 175 for Berlin...), the platinum system was introduced and caused the ire of many fans, and in places like Berlin, the ticket prices were the same on the 1st day of sales for all sectors, nosebleeds included.

The result is that there are tons of tickets left, e.g. for both Berlin and Barcelona. It seems odd that they have announced consecutive concerts at the same time for those shows. I guess the sales system is redirected now to having tickets available for a longer period of time, as opposed to having them sold out immediately. Certain sector prices have already decreased from their (non-platinum) counterparts.

Geographical coverage is also a bit weird, especially considering the limited number of gigs - three concerts in Spain (including a major festival), plus a festival in Portugal, but no concerts in France or Italy (not to mention Central and Eastern Europe that always gets screwed). I am happy for the fans on the Iberian Peninsula, as the band sometimes ignored that region in the past, although the demand is not reflected in the number of tickets sold so far.

The band may need to address the accusations made by fans, as the story is spilling over to the media. There has to be some kind of an explanation behind the exponential increase of ticket prices (and this is not even taking into account the exorbitant platinum prices) from the last tour. I am not sure that inflation and Covid can alone justify this kind of an increase (as an example, the GA price for Barcelona increased 70 per cent from the last gig they did in that city in 2018). I don't know if they simply acquiesced to the realities of the concert market and Ticketmaster's nefarious methods, but the change does seem egregious. European concert market has managed to somewhat avoid the disaster that is the US 'platinum' market, but I guess that is now gone as well.

In any case, I got GA tickets for the two shows in Barcelona, and I will make a nice trip out of that with my wife, but the prices leave a bit of a bitter taste. And I actually came out of it well enough, getting the sector I wanted and not paying the platinum shit.

Last edited:
The European tour sales are a total clusterfuck. The ticket prices are at an all-time high (higher in some cases than some of the more popular acts here such as Springsteen or AC/DC - 160 pounds for the London show, 165 Euros for Barcelona, 175 for Berlin...), the platinum system was introduced and caused the ire of many fans, and in places like Berlin, the ticket prices were the same on the 1st day of sales for all sectors, nosebleeds included.

The result is that there are tons of tickets left, e.g. for both Berlin and Barcelona. It also seems weird that they have announced consecutive concerts at the same time for those shows. I guess the sales system is redirected now to having tickets available for a longer period of time, as opposed to having them sold out immediately. Certain sector prices have already decreased from their (non-platinum) counterparts.

Geographical coverage is also a bit weird, especially considering the limited number of gigs - three concerts in Spain (including a major festival), plus a festival in Portugal, but no concerts in France or Italy (not to mention Central and Eastern Europe that always gets screwed). I am happy for the fans on the Iberian Peninsula, as the band sometimes ignored that region in the past, although the demand is not reflected in the number of tickets sold so far.

The band may need to address the accusations made by fans, as the story is spilling over to the media. There has to be some kind of an explanation behind the exponential increase of ticket prices (and this is not even taking into account the exorbitant platinum prices) from the last tour. I am not sure that inflation and Covid can alone justify this kind of an increase (as an example, the GA price for Barcelona increased 70 per cent from the last gig they did in that city in 2018). I don't know if they simply acquiesced to the realities of the concert market and Ticketmaster's nefarious methods, but the change does seem egregious. European concert market has managed to somewhat avoid the disaster that is the US 'platinum' market, but I guess that is now gone as well.

In any case, I got GA tickets for the two shows in Barcelona, and I will make a nice trip out of that with my wife, but the prices leave a bit of a bitter taste. And I actually came out of it well enough, getting the sector I wanted and not paying the platinum shit.
Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of negative comments from European fans on the PJ message board. And saw the lack of sales in Berlin and Barca. Also, Tottenham stadium in London looks like a huge overreach, tons of unsold seats there as well.

i'm sorry but i don't see 165 Euros - or $178 USD - as being overly expensive in comparison to similar acts anymore.

I guess the sales system is redirected now to having tickets available for a longer period of time, as opposed to having them sold out immediately.

yes. this is exactly the case.

and we see it over and over again as tickets go on sale, and each time people are still confused and outraged by it - almost as if the last time never happened.

what you said is exactly the case - they've set it up now to where tickets will intentionally last longer on the market. those willing to pay a premium will do so, those who don't can wait and, unless demand is unreasonably high, the ticket prices will inevitably come down. nobody cares about instant sell outs anymore - because even in the past, when a show would sell out instantly? half the tickets would end up on StubHub. So they're trying to combat that.

that's not a vote in favor or against the new way of doing things - it's simply a statement of reality.

one thing that is working against ticket prices coming down is pearl jam's refusal to play full scale tours anymore. they won't come remotely close to meeting demand this way - which will keep prices higher.

ticketmaster / livenation suck. there's no doubt about that. they're an awful monopoly and the government should break them up.

i'm sorry but i don't see 165 Euros - or $178 USD - as being overly expensive in comparison to similar acts anymore.
That's $272 Australian and absolutely outrageously expensive. I am willing to cop arguments about inflation and how expensive it is to tour now, but concert prices at the moment are completely fucked - cheapest tickets to see blink-182 at an arena last night were $120 Australian and they were behind the stage.

GA tickets for U2 in 2006 were $100 AUD, and accounting for inflation, they should now cost $156. I suspect the only tickets in that realm if U2 tour down under again will be back row, upper level, restricted view side of stage.

it's an estimate and not exact - but based on what's there - pearl jam's entire history of streams on spotify - 5.1 billion lifetime streams - has generated just over 12 million dollars. that's lifetime - not one year.

now nobody is crying for anyone who is fortunate enough to make 12 million dollars. but obviously not all of that goes to the band - you have to pay the label, promotion, marketing, production, crew, etc. etc.

you're not touring the world on what's left. and again - that's lifetime - not one year, or even one album cycle. now sure - there are other streaming services, physical sales, and other sources of royalties. but it's nowhere near where it was in, say, the 90s and even early 2000s.

now toss in the cost of touring...

it's costing $500k to $750k per day, whether there's a show or not, to put on a tour. if you're on the road for 60 days - that's 30 million dollars in expenses.

a lot of that money used to be covered by album sales - well, that money's a fraction of what it once was.

so obviously ticket prices are going to have to increase at a higher rate than the rate of inflation - if only to cover the added costs.

it sucks - and the fan gets screwed out of the deal. and obviously the ticketmaster/livenation monopoly doesn't help the situation at all. but we traded cheaper ticket prices for convenience.

andrew watt should work with all aging rock bands...

wink wink nudge nudge

i like his "ya know guys, it's possible to put a modern touch on things while still sounding like, ya know, the band that people fell in love with" approach.
Yeah I wouldn't say I'm all in love with this song or anything but at the same time, I'm even more excited for the album.

Back
Top Bottom