Official "Bitch about the stupid mask" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe you all care enough to complain for 26 pages. The tour hasn't even started yet. Why is this such a big deal? It's not like they're handing out masks with tickets. It's a U2.com thing. Probably about 5 people will do it. Let's wait to see if Bono makes a big deal about the masks before we start freaking out. cuz if he doesn't even mention it then what does it matter?

Secretly Alone- you have an outstanding avatar...:applaud:

Why thank you...I did this ->:lol: when I first saw that pic!

AtomicBono is right about U2.com...I wouldn't say this idea is popular in Zootopia, but it is being defended quite a bit. We'll see how it plays out in Barcelona...in 2 days! :hyper:

I can't believe you all care enough to complain for 26 pages. The tour hasn't even started yet. Why is this such a big deal? It's not like they're handing out masks with tickets. It's a U2.com thing. Probably about 5 people will do it. Let's wait to see if Bono makes a big deal about the masks before we start freaking out. cuz if he doesn't even mention it then what does it matter?

you have been to these forums before haven't you?

Bless her heart, but personally i think what she is doing is wrong. I don't support democracy, im more of a dictatorship fan myself. We the people are not smart enough to choose, we need to be forced to do what they want us to do. And if we don't then we should all be killed at the public square to serve as an example. I think countries like North Korea, Iran, and yes Burma are among the few that actually got it right. American almost had it right with Premier Bush, but now they suffer from lack of order and discipline. Time for the American military to take to the streets and crush the non-believers!

You are joking......right?

Oops.....sorry, I back tracked a few pages and saw that you were! :wave:

Actually, this would make a good photo for the newspapers. You don't have to wear the mask, if you don't want too. Instead hold a picture of Aung up, while U2 is playing "Walk On." This will still bring greater awareness to her plight.

I really don't care if I get flamed or even banned from this site for saying this but you all are a bunch of infantile losers.

You people are whinning about a mask. I'm not going to waste any energy by typing all of the contradictions but ...seriously... you've taken this bashing too far. I find this thread extremely disturbing not because you don't want to wear the masks but because you are totally making a mockery of this woman and everything she has been through in order to try and bring her people simple freedoms.

You are all spineless bastards. get a life and a clue.

I wish I could handle things more like Birdlover but, bless her heart, she is new to this forum and she doesn't know yet how miserably thick in the head you all are.

I really don't care if I get flamed or even banned from this site for saying this but you all are a bunch of infantile losers.

You people are whinning about a mask. I'm not going to waste any energy by typing all of the contradictions but ...seriously... you've taken this bashing too far. I find this thread extremely disturbing not because you don't want to wear the masks but because you are totally making a mockery of this woman and everything she has been through in order to try and bring her people simple freedoms.

I wish I could handle things more like Birdlover but, bless her heart, she is new to this forum and she doesn't know yet how miserably thick in the head you all are.

Whooooooosh.....

thank you. i'm glad i started it because "disturbing" is what i was going for when i made this thread. :up:

i'm going to now wear the mask, but put Ultimate Warrior face paint over it.

mike_sdwarrior_warrior.jpg

Nothing better than generalizing a group of people. :up:
I have not read every single page here but are there really a lot people questioning her intentions and if so; why?!
If not and there are only a few idiots out there, why this rude and unappropiate behaviour?

Oh by the way, the masks suck

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the masks, but you need to discuss it without personal attacks please.

Someone having a bad case of the Monday's?

:wink:

and by the way you have to admit the Masks are pretty stupid

I heard from someone in Barcelona that Bono actually has a custom mask made of leather that allows him to wear his glasses over it.

I see, you mean ala "gimp" in Pulp Fiction? Well, I suppose that would be alright then.

I really love the live version of Walk On so if it takes me wearing a mask for them to bring it back, I guess I'm game.

Maybe we should all brainstorm masks for the songs we want to hear and then just coerce the band into playing them by wearing throughout the show?

Anyone else wanna wear the A Sort of Homecoming mask I'm making (thinking a leprechaun's face might do the trick)?

okay, about the only way i would wear that silly mask in NORMAN would be if a) its Halloween and b) if Bono wears an OU ballcap for an entire song and at the end of it shouts out BOOMER SOONER at the top of his lungs several times.

FUCK! I missed all of this epicness...

I wonder whose bright idea this was! *looking at you Bono

lol. there is not one post supporting this.

It's not exactly a very hospitable thread title or thread discussion for people who do not share your consensus.

Of course, "the outside world" has heard about it. It was all over the newswires.

So these supporters who initiated the idea may be alright, but U2 are not for liking this gesture or suggesting we might want to join the gesture? Is that the problem?

picture3_600.jpg

V for Vendetta is what I instantly thought of.

So all the people on this thread who really hated the cell phones and Africa speeches and who now may hate the Tutu speech and the Walk On masks, what about Bono and his preaching and politics do you like?

I find it curious that folks wanted Larry to "veto" this. Larry thinks Bono is too conservative for hanging with warmongers Bush and Blair not that Bono is too goofy or radical or whatever for supporting political prisoners.

Amazing thread.

One of her most famous speeches is the "Freedom From Fear" speech, which begins:
“ It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it."

I could not find any quotes about the power of fear that other U2 fans will make fun of me if I bring her picture to the shows to hold up during Walk On, even if all the people who do not like this idea are causing congestion problems in the beer and bathroom lines.

Here is another picture:

Aung-San-Suu-Kyis-United--001.jpg

I do not like any of the politics Bono puts in U2 shows. I think it's a great thing he does, BESIDES his work for U2. The speeching on stage is just NOT appropriate. It's a rock show, people don't pay money to hear you preach Bono, just play the goddamn songs.

And I cannot believe that someone would seriously defend this ridiculous idea of printing out a paper mask for a U2 show.

Again, the problem is not the idea, it is the execution, imho.

I don't hate the speeches, or the cellphones, or the politics. I wouldn't even mind holding up her picture. The idea of bringing attention to the situation in Burma is great.

But cutting out eyeholes, stapling a rubber band and putting on a paper mask of her face turns this into a creepy, almost Halloween type joke.

Wow. If Halloween = creepy, then what was Zoo TV? What is Bono in Machphisto make up?

However, all that said, notice the picture of an actual rally, from a story already posted where the band apparently got the idea. No rubber bands, no eyeholes. Just peops holding up pics. In fact, someone on here suggested that we hold up pictures instead. Lovely suggestion.

So, instead of panning the whole idea because all y'all are far too mature to wear a silly mask (unlike old geezers like Bono and me who find costumes and guyliner just fine), why not just hold up pictures instead?

I remember the "Shut Up and Sing" thing from Dixie Chicks fans (I do live in TN), but I suppose I really am surprised if I am in a minority among U2 fans who actually like the singer of the band. Lots of amazing bands out there with cheaper tickets and singers who do not preach or pull stadium sized political stunts. I like a lot of them, too.

Speaking of costumes, a few years ago, an entertainer friend of mine worked the Brooks & Dunn tour. He had to wear Red, White, & Blue sequined bell-bottoms over stilts while he juggled fire during the Star Spangled Banner. So it could be worse, right?

What would U2 be without Bono and his preachin' anyway?

Back
Top Bottom