NYC #7 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That lady who "saved" Bono was every know it all mother and nagging wife. My balls shriveled up listening to her. Hate her. But it was a great comedy show tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think one has been played at all 4 shows I've been at. I think it's a reward. But we like when he sings.

I think one has been played at all 4 shows I've been at. I think it's a reward. But we like when he sings.

Got played at 0/2 of the shows I went to. I may be the one person on this forum who's been to multiple shows and never seen One live :sad:

Where's concert I've ever been to by any band.

That snap is hilarious. It looks like the people behind her are laughing at her.

The funniest part was the band"s reaction, Larry face palm, Adam and Edge laughing and Bono drinking the Jameson trying to get the mike from her. I couldn't hear most of what she said and was standing right by the e stage because the people around me were screaming, shut the fuck up. The entire thing was cringeworthy.

Wow well that all looks a bit disappointing, I really expected at least crystal ballroom and bad, and something different in second slot!

Got played at 0/2 of the shows I went to. I may be the one person on this forum who's been to multiple shows and never seen One live :sad:

Don't worry, the 3 times it got played out of 4 shows I went to, it didn't get played for real. It's fun when you're there singing, sure, but you always kind of wish that wasn't the last song... AT LEAST PUT LYRIC ON THE SCREEN SO CROWD CAN PLAY ALONG WHEN THEY DON'T KNOW IT.

I'm gonna sound like people on this board now that I make fun of... but a lot of the time during this tour, they break up songs in weird ways with talking, changing setups, bringing people on stage... encore really you want to leave with a bang, but they keep playing that Paul Simon song which is a great song, but it's just not flowing... you want bang, bang, bang. Every Breaking Wave should be the stand out, but I find people find that the bathroom/talking really loud time. It's weird. I guess it's too quiet and not full band. I love it. Sounds beautiful. But it's not epic.

I miss this -- https://youtu.be/-MS6kZ8u0zY Obviously songs are great, but where's the non stop movement.

Tonight he at least had different things he was saying, but there was like a 7 minute stand up routine Bono did before Iris that was weird... I was like maybe they are going to do a different song, but no.

And am I the only one that hates the way Bloody Sunday ends with that Pink Floyd style car bomb... and is Raised by Wolves is about a worst incident, but same type of terrorism... it's just a lot to handle.

I like this album much more. I much prefer arenas. Songs sound great. But it's missing that moment that stays with you for months later... UltraViolet on last tour was epic... I couldn't wait for it every night... Until the End of the World kicks ass still... Even Better Than the Real thing is a song I love, but I don't love this version...

I was happiest hearing Satellite of Love tonight. It really sent me back to 93. And for christ sake, the fly remix during halftime pumps up the crowd more than most songs. Dying for them to play it.

And why o why isn't Bad played every night instead of a song like Bullet. Can't figure it out. too hard to sing? Just feels like it should be a staple or played more than Elevation. I fucking love Elevation. But Bad... too long? Fuck if I know.

Does part 8 give us same set list as night 2? Will BONO TAKE MANHATTAN?

Last edited:
Bullet is one song that is kicking all sorts of arse this tour and you want it dropped? There are so many other songs I would drop for bad rather than bullet

The tour really suffers without a memorable ending. Part of the issue is that the best U2 tours implement the new album in some way during either the encore or as the closing song and this tour is the first in decades (possibly ever) to do neither. Towards the end it is, truly, a greatest hits set. And the way that Beautiful Day, Streets and One are threaded together is not imaginative enough to justify the influx of big hits. You don't even see overkill like that at festivals.

When you look back on ZooTV, you remember what closed it. You remember what closed Elevation. You remember the entire encore of 360 fondly because it was so well crafted. I+E's ending, for now, will be memorable not for its quality, but for giving us the two most controversial moments of the tour: the Mother and Child Reunion speechifying and One karaoke. It's so weird because the rest of the show is built around memorable stage design and band interaction, but the ending is a total dud and has been since night 1.

The tour really suffers without a memorable ending. Part of the issue is that the best U2 tours implement the new album in some way during either the encore or as the closing song and this tour is the first in decades (possibly ever) to do neither. Towards the end it is, truly, a greatest hits set. And the way that Beautiful Day, Streets and One are threaded together is not imaginative enough to justify the influx of big hits. You don't even see overkill like that at festivals.

When you look back on ZooTV, you remember what closed it. You remember what closed Elevation. You remember the entire encore of 360 fondly because it was so well crafted. I+E's ending, for now, will be memorable not for its quality, but for giving us the two most controversial moments of the tour: the Mother and Child Reunion speechifying and One karaoke. It's so weird because the rest of the show is built around memorable stage design and band interaction, but the ending is a total dud and has been since night 1.

You read my mind :up:

You remember the entire encore of 360 fondly because it was so well crafted.

I agree with you on other points, but not with this. With or Without You was at its worst and Moment of Surrender was an awkward closer. It worked alright when it had One Tree Hill or Out of Control or 40 to finish it afterwards.

They've had troubles with endings since the Vertigo Tour. The Vertigox2 catastrophe and the anti-climatic All Because of You-Yahweh-40 2nd encore are the most prominent examples. They did manage to get it right with Bad and Kite later on.

I agree with you on other points, but not with this. With or Without You was at its worst and Moment of Surrender was an awkward closer. It worked alright when it had One Tree Hill or Out of Control or 40 to finish it afterwards.

They've had troubles with endings since the Vertigo Tour. The Vertigox2 catastrophe and the anti-climatic All Because of You-Yahweh-40 2nd encore are the most prominent examples. They did manage to get it right with Bad and Kite later on.

Good god your so right there, no other tour could have a worse ending than vertigo x 2, and I was never really a fan of moment of surrender ending, I didn't leave the stadium as elated as I felt I should after that, although Cardiff 360 is still best U2 show I have been to overall

UV>WOWY>Moment of Surrender was a coherent trio that brought to mind ZooTV's terrific ending, only with a dark closer from NLOTH instead of Achtung. It's the kind of ending I wish they had the guts to attempt on this tour with The Troubles. It wouldn't leave you on a high note, but neither did Love Is Blindness. At least the new album comes into play somehow and there's real texture happening.

ABOY was totally out of place, but I thought acoustic Yahweh>40 was an emotional and well thought out way to end Vertigo, considering the themes of that particular era. 40 made a lot of sense in that backwards-looking tour and it works well this tour for similar reasons.

The current ending is a mess musically and adds nothing thematically. There's no attempt by the band to structure these disparate hits into something coherent, either through mood (360) or theme (Vertigo).

Last edited:
Bullet is one song that is kicking all sorts of arse this tour and you want it dropped? There are so many other songs I would drop for bad rather than bullet

For once we are agreeing on something :applaud:

NEVER DROP BULLET THIS TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UV>WOWY>Moment of Surrender was a coherent trio that brought to mind ZooTV's terrific ending, only with a dark closer from NLOTH instead of Achtung.

You're reaching when comparing it to ZooTV. The ZooTV WOWY was stunning, the 360 is a snooze. Moment of Surrender may be a good song for U2 of this century, but it doesn't have the emotional punch and sadness of Love is Blindness, darkness that is conveyed by Edge's fantastic guitar playing, unlike MOS which has a lukewarm fart of a "solo". It's a song that is way too sparse musically and lacking any true build-up (unlike LIB, Kite, Bad or even Walk On) to have that kind of a resonance a closer truly needs.

Love is Blindness brings hardly earned, merciless closure that can be interpreted in so many ways, while Moment of Surrender just ends with another cringe-worthy and misplaced WOAHWOAH (done better in Stay anyway) - not to mention Bono "rapping" - and ends the show with a whimper instead of a bang.

I'll grant that it's better than what we have now, but almost everything is. Apart from repeating the same song again for some bullshit nostalgia reasons.

Last edited:
You're reaching when comparing it to ZooTV.

We could go back and forth all day about personal preferences, but it's not debatable that U2 was trying to evoke ZooTV with the closing trio of 360. 2/3 songs are the same as the 1992 legs and they simply replaced the most brooding new track of the ZooTV era with one of the most brooding tracks of the 360 era. I'm certainly not "reaching" by comparing the two.

If you mean that they're not worth comparing because one is vastly superior to the other, that's a different matter.

We could go back and forth all day about personal preferences, but it's not debatable that U2 was trying to evoke ZooTV with the closing trio of 360. 2/3 songs are the same as the 1992 legs and they simply replaced the most brooding new track of the ZooTV era with one of the most brooding tracks of the 360 era. I'm certainly not "reaching" by comparing the two.

If you mean that they're not worth comparing because one is vastly superior to the other, that's a different matter.

They're not worth comparing. That was my whole point.

Nevertheless, pulling the "not debatable" card about something that you simply cannot know (whether U2 wanted to do this or that) isn't gonna work.

Whether Moment of Surrender is "brooding" is also highly debatable. As far as mood or theme is concerned, I see little to no similarity with Love is Blindness.

Last edited:
In light of recent news regarding Morrissey, they should play Sleep Like a Baby Tonight as a tribute.

They're not worth comparing. That was my whole point.

Nevertheless, pulling the "not debatable" card about something that you simply cannot know (whether U2 wanted to do this or that) isn't gonna work.

Whether Moment of Surrender is "brooding" is also highly debatable. As far as mood or theme is concerned, I see little to no similarity with Love is Blindness.

I didn't think you despised MOS so much as to completely lack objectivity on this. UV and WOWY are back to back in precisely the same area of the set as the first three legs of ZooTV, with a different slow burner to close. Later in the tour, they introduced an Achtung Baby-heavy opening as well. Over the course of the tour, the Achtung Baby reissue was being planned and eventually released.

It's not as if they hadn't used an encore to call back to ZooTV in the past. Vertigo had Zoo Station/The Fly/Mysterious Ways in sequence.

This debate is incredibly stupid. I hope you agree. As an olive branch, I'll downgrade my observation from "beyond debate" to "very plausible." :wink:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom