NY2 Rescheduled!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either they need something like 8 or 10 hours realistically, or there is something else going on.

I think your first theory might be very close to the truth. It's also what I think.
As others have found out, the announcement of the game brought forward three hours already came in April. At that time, the stage wasn't even built. They probably thought that they could make it so that the stage could be taken down in about 36 hours (which is roughly from midnight Fri/Sat night until noon Sunday, providing no building up has to be done for the American football game).

When the stage was ready in June, they found out that it might very well take longer to disassemble the Claw, but they haven't practiced it yet. When the crew gets more experienced, the time needed to take down the stage will decrease.

However, during the tour, it becomes known that even with more experience, they cannot shorten the time even more. They faced a cut-off date after the Dutch and Irish concert. I think that after both concerts, the cut-off time was 6 PM after the next day (so about 42 hours after the end of the concert). In the Netherlands they made it, barely (I heard they were finished at 5:40 PM).

So, now the first leg has finished they saw that it wasn't possible to be ready before the cut-off time and thus they made the decision to reschedule. I don't think that in the end moving the cut-off time forward three hours is the real cause. Even with a 4 PM game they wouldn't have made it. The stage is just too big to disassemble in the time given to them by the stadium.

agreed. i do think it was poor form on u2's part to not come to this realization sooner. as soon as they got word in april about the time change, they should've bumped the ny shows then. better safe than sorry.

It makes me wonder if tear down is taking longer than they originally calculated or if the Jets are making them because they're afraid the field may not be ready in time, U2 tried to fight it and lost...

Red Sox/Yankees

It was just announced yesterday that the Red Sox/Yankees game at Yankee stadium for Sunday 9/27 was also moved up to accomodate Yom Kippur. Game time was 8:00 but is now 1:00.

It makes me wonder if tear down is taking longer than they originally calculated or if the Jets are making them because they're afraid the field may not be ready in time, U2 tried to fight it and lost...

giants stadium has field turf. the playing surface will be ready to go once U2's stuff is out of there.

on top of it, the Jets do not own the stadium, and aren't even the primary football team in the stadium, and really aren't the decision makers as to the use of the stadium... it's actually the state of new jersey's call, and again, as pointed out, it's only 3 hours.

this is a u2 fuck up through and through. the fact that the jets are involved, as pathetic an organization as they may be, is secondary.

Has anyone gotten an email yet? I don't know how far in advance they send them out

giants stadium has field turf. the playing surface will be ready to go once U2's stuff is out of there.

Yeah, I'll admit I'm not sure how turf really works, not my area of expertise, but I guess I just assumed there would still be some prep work needed after a several ton structure was removed from it. Carpet still needs time and prep after you remove a heavy piece of furniture from it. :shrug:

Yeah, I'll admit I'm not sure how turf really works, not my area of expertise, but I guess I just assumed there would still be some prep work needed after a several ton structure was removed from it. Carpet still needs time and prep after you remove a heavy piece of furniture from it. :shrug:

This makes me wonder how my carpet would react to a 180-ton steel claw on top of it for a week, supporting 200 tons of equipment.

But nearly all that weight in situated under the "claw feet" and only takes up a very small area of the playing field. Grass in those small areas is likely removed and returned after 360. The other 95% of the field only has the weight of people and maybe some speakers/stage/fencing.

can we use our presale codes for 2010 if we used them for NY and have to cancel

I can't go to NYC now...I used my presale codes. Does antone know if U2.com will honor presale in 2010? I paid $50 bucks for those codes and now I can't use two of them.

But nearly all that weight in situated under the "claw feet" and only takes up a very small area of the playing field. Grass in those small areas is likely removed and returned after 360. The other 95% of the field only has the weight of people and maybe some speakers/stage/fencing.

Several thousand people, a stage, and the flooring they put down isn't exactly light, which makes me wonder if they remove all the turf before hand?

Well I hope this puts to bed all of the conspiracy theories that U2 did this so they could be in Vienna for the MJ tribute thing. Looks like the SNL rumour was true and they were going to be in NY on Saturday anyway.

Megan Fox, U2 to kick off new ‘SNL’ season - Access Hollywood - msnbc.com

Maybe Bono didn't feel he could do 3 straight nights of singing but they had to wait until the ink was dry on the SNL deal. Funny how confirmation came AFTER they announced they were changing the date. He's already doing 4 concerts that week prior to the SNL gig.

If I have one by the end of the week. I'm going to DC on the 29th. I may not be able to talk :lol:

the playing surface at giants stadium is akin to an advanced version of the fake plastic grass on your grandmother's patio. it'll be fine.

every pro sports team in new york has now changed their game times because of yom kippur, including the mets and yankees. that's the reason, there is no other reason like boner not wanting to sing 2 measley songs on saturday night live after two shows thursday and friday.

it was a fuck up.. it's ok, you can say it. u2 fucked up. i'm sure they're sorry, but yea.. their camp fucked up.

I think your first theory might be very close to the truth. It's also what I think.
As others have found out, the announcement of the game brought forward three hours already came in April. At that time, the stage wasn't even built. They probably thought that they could make it so that the stage could be taken down in about 36 hours (which is roughly from midnight Fri/Sat night until noon Sunday, providing no building up has to be done for the American football game).

When the stage was ready in June, they found out that it might very well take longer to disassemble the Claw, but they haven't practiced it yet. When the crew gets more experienced, the time needed to take down the stage will decrease.

However, during the tour, it becomes known that even with more experience, they cannot shorten the time even more. They faced a cut-off date after the Dutch and Irish concert. I think that after both concerts, the cut-off time was 6 PM after the next day (so about 42 hours after the end of the concert). In the Netherlands they made it, barely (I heard they were finished at 5:40 PM).

So, now the first leg has finished they saw that it wasn't possible to be ready before the cut-off time and thus they made the decision to reschedule. I don't think that in the end moving the cut-off time forward three hours is the real cause. Even with a 4 PM game they wouldn't have made it. The stage is just too big to disassemble in the time given to them by the stadium.

That's what I'm thinking too.

Back
Top Bottom