NLOTH Reviews Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please I hope the new album isn't compared to JT! I want it to be a different experience. If I want to hear something like JT I will then listen to JT. U2 are about reinventing themselves with each 2 to 3 records.

What I really hope for is an album I can listen to from beginning to end without skips and that I can return to the album over the years.

And after 11 of those you're not satisfied?
:wink:

I'm doing my best to keep all of these reviews in check, but I'm sooo damn excited. I keep telling myself that it has been 4+ years and these feelings are normal simply because it has been so damn long between albums. However, one thing that most of these reviews seem to touch on is that this album seems to have some serious atmosphere and mood. :drool:
This is one aspect of U2 that I love very much. The UF, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby! has tons of this (for me). This isn't meant to be a knock on the U2 ( "the 2" :wink:) of this decade, but the atmosphere and mood has been quite lacking (again, for me) in this decade. It has been a very "basics" approach for U2 with the last album and even with the "classic coke" U2 of Beautiful Day and most of All That... . I still love some of these songs, but the ones I really love from this past decade have been the one that had atmosphere and mood. Songs like Kite and, to a lesser extent, Blinding Lights have been the ones that have stood the test of time for me.
If these reviews are any indication (even as guarded as I'm trying to be with my expectations), this is going to be an album that will take some time to completely digest and fully appreciate. This could be something really special here. There are going to be sounds here that are going to take many listens before they get truly discovered. This has me so excited that I'm not being very productive at work. The anticipation is slowly gripping my mind and taking over any moments of free thoughts. It is time to move on from the "basics." I know I'm ready for it. :drool:

I'm doing my best to keep all of these reviews in check, but I'm sooo damn excited. I keep telling myself that it has been 4+ years and these feelings are normal simply because it has been so damn long between albums. However, one thing that most of these reviews seem to touch on is that this album seems to have some serious atmosphere and mood. :drool:
This is one aspect of U2 that I love very much. The UF, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby! has tons of this (for me). This isn't meant to be a knock on the U2 ( "the 2" :wink:) of this decade, but the atmosphere and mood has been quite lacking (again, for me) in this decade. It has been a very "basics" approach for U2 with the last album and even with the "classic coke" U2 of Beautiful Day and most of All That... . I still love some of these songs, but the ones I really love from this past decade have been the one that had atmosphere and mood. Songs like Kite and, to a lesser extent, Blinding Lights have been the ones that have stood the test of time for me.
If these reviews are any indication (even as guarded as I'm trying to be with my expectations), this is going to be an album that will take some time to completely digest and fully appreciate. This could be something really special here. There are going to be sounds here that are going to take many listens before they get truly discovered. This has me so excited that I'm not being very productive at work. The anticipation is slowly gripping my mind and taking over any moments of free thoughts. It is time to move on from the "basics." I know I'm ready for it. :drool:

good post!

I remember Nevermind got 3 stars from RS when released, then 1 year later they gave it 4 and then in 2004 they gave it 5. :lol:

Ain't that the fucking truth :up:...my older brother showed me that magazine a few years back....just to prove a point about how flaky reviews/reviewers can be....wish I had it now so I could scan it...no doubt Jan Wenner(RS publisher) buried any available links to that article.

I think that the craziest aspect of the build-up to this album is, that for the first time since achtung baby, we were able to hear most of the songs way before the album's actual release, and still got a very vague idea of what they sound like...

I mean, we had leaks of Magnificent
Beach Clip+U2.com http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/edgeputitdown.swf
http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/FatherBrianEnoDrums.swf
Unknown Caller (Here Is What is Trailer+Beach Clip), Crazy Tonight (beach clip), Get On Your Boots (beach clip + u2.com clips), Stand Up Comedy when it was still titled "For Your Love" (HQ clip U2 Exit News Blog � Blog Archive � Beach Clip minus the beach - new audio + u2.com clip http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larrystuff.swf)
Breathe in an HQ clip, beach clips, and u2.com clips highlighting the different parts and instruments, and even a short bit of Being Born from the Here Is What Is trailer.
that's seven songs out of eleven, the only ones we haven't got a clue of are MOS, WAS, COL, and NLOTH (of which I won't be surprised to find out that we got a really short taste previously).

Funny enough we're still so far from getting the bigger picture. It's no surprise, especially with a band where the sound often defines the context and perception of the songs rather than the plain chords and lyrics, but it is still an amazing fact - to mind, just the gap between the information we already have with all the leaks and reviews and feeling of uncertainty about this record.

It's U2's most extensively reviewed and previewed album to date, especially considering the fact that in the build-up to Achtung Baby, fans had neither so much of the excess and access provided by technology, nor the crazily over-blown expectations of constant re-invention of nowadays. Yet, I Still don't have a bloody clue how am I going to swallow this piece as a whole.

I can't fucking wait!

When did you hear the album?

So you(people) really really believe that they can top Where the streets have no name , I still havent found what i'm looking for and With or without you???

Be very happy if they can even do better than Beautiful Day, Stuck in a moment and Elevation...

Sorry, but it's the best three first songs from any band from any time... so no, not a chance they can top them...

So you(people) really really believe that they can top Where the streets have no name , I still havent found what i'm looking for and With or without you???

Be very happy if they can even do better than Beautiful Day, Stuck in a moment and Elevation...

Anything is possible. No need to write that off just yet.

Not sure if this has been posted, another review of NLOTH.

Friday 6 February 2009, by Corinne/Dead
Tags:

* Nouvel album
* No Line On The Horizon
* review

This week, I had the privilege to hear the new U2 album. I got to listen to the full album once, and to the designated singles a second time.

If I had to describe this album in one word, I would say it’s dense. There is a lot going on and it’s definitely the kind of record one has to hear at least a dozen times to fully understand, if not more.

Generally, I liked what I heard very much. There are some great, classic U2 songs (Magnificent, Breathe, Unknown Caller). And there are songs that break new sonic territory for U2 (Being Born, White As Snow), although less electronic than I expected. Many songs, especially during intros, have heavy electronic elements, but there is no Lemon or Mofo on the record. However, the odd cello, trumpet, organ or french horn is thrown in! The overall feeling is much more atmospheric than the last couple of records, with some songs - or at least some passages - heavily leaning towards The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby style-wise, with some hints towards the early albums, although none of the new songs sounds like they could actually fit on one of U2’s past records. To give you an idea, some old songs that came to mind while I heard the new record were Lady With The Spinning Head, So Cruel, Pride, Beautiful Day, In A Little While, Bass Trap, Love And Peace Or Else, Bullet The Blue Sky, Ultra Violet and Acrobat. And Passengers! There are some very dark passages on this album, some interesting and unusual chord sequences, and possibly more minor chords than on any other U2 album. "Delicate" is another word that pops up a few times in my notes, meaning an overall feeling of some songs reminiscent of, say, Velvet Dress. There are many layers in the production, especially in the beats, which are frequently mid-tempo and syncopated. The rhythm section has some great moments, with some very smooth and dynamic bass playing (Moment Of Surrender!). The Edge is definitely on fire on this one - there are so many signature Edge guitar parts, too much to take on one listen, and right now I can’t reasonably remember a single one. Bono’s voice sounds very good, the best since Pop. He plays with it a lot - sometimes maybe too much? No fade outs if I remember correctly. Overall, this is probably one of U2’s more interesting albums, very ambitious, and its great strength will probably be that it works as a whole, unlike the last two efforts. The quality of the songs remains on an equally high level throughout the album, the real gems possibly even in the second half.

Here some random, track-by-track bits taken from my notes. The further into the album, the fewer notes i took - probably a good sign as I really go lost in the music...

1. No Line On The Horizon The title track starts with a low synth intro, which then turns into a wall of sound with shouting vocals. In contrast, the chorus is very atmospheric. There are some high processed guitar sounds going on towards the end, reminiscent of Beautiful Day just before the middle part. There were apperently two versions of this song recorded, a heavy distorted one, and a more atmospheric version. It’s difficult to say which one this is, as it kind of fits both descriptions (maybe it’s a mix?).

2. Magnificent After a short eletronic intro, is U2 in full stadium rock mode. Pretty uptempo. Stomping beat and fast snare drumming, similar to Where The Streets Have No Name. This will be the 3rd single.

3. Moment Of Surrender This song has Brian Eno written all over it, from the intro to the chorus (think A Different Kind Of Blue, but a little more melodic). Some fine bass playing by Adam. Rhythm is similar to "So Cruel" and builds up massively over the whole song (7 minutes?).

4. Unknown Caller The most Lanois-esque song. This song was recorded in Fez (it’s the one with everyone singing together in Lanois’ documentary). A lot of tom-tom drumming. Overall feeling reminds me of The Joshua Tree. The middle 8 goes off somewhere else, with an organ (hello Arcade Fire?) and french horns, leading to a nice guitar solo.

5. I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight Classic U2. Mid tempo. This will be the 2nd single

6. Get On Your Boots This song fits perfectly here. The most uptempo track.

7. Stand Up Comedy Very 70s rock, kind of an extension of Bullet The Blue Sky (verse of Popmart version!) and Love And Peace Or Else. Uptempo.

8. Fez / Being Born Two separate songs. Fez is a short, experimental, mostly electronic instrumental Eno tune. Being Born is more uptempo, but has the slowest singing ever by Bono. Can’t remember much more, but I absolutely loved this experimental track.

9. White As Snow Short piano intro, but the rest of the song is based on an acoustic guitar. A very delicate downtempo tune.

10. Breathe This is a 3/4 or 6/8 rhythm, similar to Acrobat. A big stadium rocker. Some very fast singing by Bono, not as fast as The End Of The World As We Know It by R.E.M., but going there (is this to make up for Being Born?). Mid/uptempo. Big guitar solo.

11. Cedars Of Lebanon Midtempo, very delicate and atmospheric arrangement. Bono in narrating mode (voice similar to One Step Closer). Ends quite abruptly.

For those who have heard the 2008 beach clips, #1 is Unknown Caller, #2 is Breathe, #3 is GOYB, #4 is Magnificent, and #5 is Crazy Tonight, although a quite different version. None of the 2006 beach clips are included on the new album.

:)

It has been posted before, but not so well translated.

Thanks!

Nice find. A lot was missing in the poorly translated version.

I find it really encouraging that he says the real gems may be on the 2ND half and that he really likes FBB.

Thanks!!

Oh yeah-Fez (intro) is a TUNE? Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom