NLOTH Reviews Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the last reviewer made it sound as if U2 is playing it safe again, but at the same time he said there are two or three singles on the album and the rest doesn't have the potential to be hits, just to turn around again and say U2 have become a band for "shopping mall music". I don't know if he can even make up his mind, I wouldn't be too worried about reviews like that.

Well if Fez - Being Born is U2 playing it safe, I'm happy with that :wink:

Btw, he has nice words for Stand up comedy, calling it "rocking" and praising the guitar work. About Fez he says it doesn't sound mainstream, but the innovation sounds forced. He says White As Snow has a beautiful intro and is a "epic" ballad. Cedars reminded him of Portishead, Breathe was the best song. He also says Magnificent has a good beat and is close to U2 of the mid 80s. He says all the numbers up to Crazy Tonight are mid-tempo. So, it's not all bad. :wink:

Btw, a guy from u2tour.de, who was at the same preview, said most journalists left during the last song and only a handful of people stayed to hear the album being played again, but it wasn't played fully the second time because the Universal people had to catch their flight back to London. :lol: He said he found it very difficult to write a review after only hearing the album once.

whats interesting is that the one review says that in order to re-create the sound on the album...more than the four people in the band need to be used. i guess were either looking at more pre-recorded music or someone else will be playing with them. although i cant really see the latter becoming reality

Btw, a guy from u2tour.de, who was at the same preview, said most journalists left during the last song and only a handful of people stayed to hear the album being played again, but it wasn't played fully the second time because the Universal people had to catch their flight back to London. :lol: He said he found it very difficult to write a review after only hearing the album once.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...seems like the album's not going over too well with critics

Gernot from u2tour.de, who reviewed the album, also says you can not judge the songs from the 30 sec clips because there are so many twists and turns in the music and the Wall Mart clips are not representative of the songs at all.

Yeah, lazy journalists .. that's common behaviour, I know it from my own experience. It's the same with book reviews: Critics usually reed only 50 pages and then write their review. The journalists at the pre-listening were more interested in the bufett. For them, it's a job. They have to hurry to get their reviews written. They are not allowed to be enthusiastic about what they are doing. I'm sure many of them had already made up their mind before listening to the album.

Gernot from u2tour.de, who reviewed the album, also says you can not judge the songs from the 30 sec clips because there are so many twists and turns in the music and the Wall Mart clips are not representative of the songs at all.

Yeah, lazy journalists .. that's common behaviour, I know it from my own experience. It's the same with book reviews: Critics usually reed only 50 pages and then write their review. The journalists at the pre-listening were more interested in the bufett. For them, it's a job. They have to hurry to get their reviews written. They are not allowed to be enthusiastic about what they are doing. I'm sure many of them had already made up their mind before listening to the album.

Yeah...
but it's like I said, the only reviews that will matter in the end are those from Q, RS, New York Times, Allmusic, Pitchfork (bastards), NME, U.S.A. Today...
And I'm sure that reviewers from those magazines and papers won't have to go to "listening parties" to listen to the new album...

Yeah...
but it's like I said, the only reviews that will matter in the end are those from Q, RS, New York Times, Allmusic, Pitchfork (bastards), NME, U.S.A. Today...
And I'm sure that reviewers from those magazines and papers won't have to go to "listening parties" to listen to the new album...

what about entertainment weekly?:reject:

So hang on... we had loads of positive reviews at first.. is it now turning that they dont actually like what there hearing?

So hang on... we had loads of positive reviews at first.. is it now turning that they dont actually like what there hearing?

well they're not the same reviewers...some of them like it, some of them don't. Seems like the majority like it so far, but as MrMacPhisto said, it's the big reviews that are really gonna matter, not these little listening party ones.

I'm not too worried about the album not selling enough...the U2 name alone will sell millions. but, if the majority of the reviewers hate it, that won't bode well. That doesn't say anything about the quality of the album though. Reviewers loved HTDAAB and many people here would disagree; reviewers hated Pop (although many not initially, Rolling Stone said it was some of their best music ever...) and many people here would disagree.

I read some comments on the u2tour.de forum from the guy who heard the record aproximately two times. He didn't enjoy the songs the first time not because they were bad but because they are very complex. He was like: what is going on here? The second time he heard the album (part of it because they stopped before the album was finished) he enjoyed them much more. He said the album is very different from HTDAAB because it is very complex and full of twists and turns. He also said you cannot judge the songs by the clips because the song are changing constantly. The album is very complex.

havent there only been like 2 or 3 negative review wich were actually pretty much mixed and like 10 reviews that loved it?

Yeah...

Allmusic and RS while helping to sell the album, haven't been the greatest with their ratings lately...a four or five star from them is not saying much

Allmusic and RS while helping to sell the album, haven't been the greatest with their ratings lately...a four or five star from them is not saying much

Maybe not... but it's reviews from these people that will sell the album, even if they're not really right.

I don't know about Allmusic, but RS doesn't give out 5 stars lightly. That's reserved for classic albums and reissues. They give a 5 star rating to a new release at a rate of less than once per year. The only questionable 5 star rating they gave in the past decade is to Kanye West for Late Registration.

4 star ratings are a bit commonplace, though.

^Those bastards.... :wink:
Seriously, RS may be biased... but those guys are beyond biased

I don't know about Allmusic, but RS doesn't give out 5 stars lightly. That's reserved for classic albums and reissues. They give a 5 star rating to a new release at a rate of less than once per year. The only questionable 5 star rating they gave in the past decade is to Kanye West for Late Registration.

4 star ratings are a bit commonplace, though.

They gave Springsteen's new album 5 stars, if that's 5 star music I can already declare this album will be 7 :wink:

Springsteen is generally great but Working on a dream really isn't. Allmusic and Pitchfork gave it more real ratings, but that's just my opinion

Well, Woking on a Dream has Outlaw Pete, that could worth four starts for the album on its own. :wink:
Hehe, but no. WOAD worths four stars. Not five.

Well, Woking on a Dream has Outlaw Pete, that could worth four starts for the album on its own. :wink:
Hehe, but no. WOAD worths four stars. Not five.

Outlaw Pete is awesome but I really think the album is only 3 stars

Working on a dream the song is pretty bad, especially lyrically. And it should of been called "I love Obama" :wink:

Damn that Pitchfork overrating music again :( Music deserves a 5.0 at best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom