NLOTH Reviews Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said that the album is going to be bad. I just said it's not going to be their best ever!

I'm just as anxious as you people are. Maybe i'm just a bit more realistic! :wink:

Why realistic? If you were realistic, you would be accepting the possibility that this might be their best album ever. If there's anything you are, that's not "realistic". Maybe you have even heard a best opening that TJT's one, but since you decided that this is the "best opening ever", you'll never say that, and until you die, TJT's opening will be the best ever. That's not realistic mate.

I never said that the album is going to be bad. I just said it's not going to be their best ever!

I'm just as anxious as you people are. Maybe i'm just a bit more realistic! :wink:

Okay cool but you don`t know... who knows it could or maybe not. I am just saying wait for the album first and see. U2 has surprised us many times in the past.

I just got my feet back on the ground after reading some reviews that are not just praise for their new work.

I'm just expecting this album to be their best since AB. My expectations won't go higher than this...

I just got my feet back on the ground after reading some reviews that are not just praise for their new work.

I'm just expecting this album to be their best since AB. My expectations won't go higher than this...

yeah thats kool, and I can dig THAT stance. But to say it's definately NOT going to be their best ever is a little foolish for two reasons:

a) It could well be
b) It WILL be for someone. Someone will look back after they are done and say it is their favourite, or U2's best.

I agree that it probably wont be the best ever, but there is still a chance it is, so dont write it off just yet

Why realistic? If you were realistic, you would be accepting the possibility that this might be their best album ever. If there's anything you are, that's not "realistic". Maybe you have even heard a best opening that TJT's one, but since you decided that this is the "best opening ever", you'll never say that, and until you die, TJT's opening will be the best ever. That's not realistic mate.

:doh:

I think you are confusing being realistic with being optimistic.

So much negativity from people like you. Why not just wait for the dammed album before passing any (good or bad) judgment. Its quit frustrating to keep reading all these comments about how bad the album might be or whatever when we haven`t even heard it. If you heard it then you think its bad say it all you want but can you wait first!!! it COULD be their best album and it COULD also be their worst.. who knows ANYTHING is possible.

hook, line, and sinker dude. you're falling for the lure of responding in a negative way to the negative responses.

just ignore it and go about your own way.

Does anybody know when the full reviews are supposed to come rolling in?

I thought we would be looking at less than a week at this point...

What is the definition of "best"?
I think best is really relative. Someone along the line has said that didn't like Sgt. Pepper's. We are aware tha Pepper's is almost an unanimity as one of the best albums ever recorded. So what? But who is right? So based on that No Line can be U2's best. We just don't know how can we define that.

I was just researching the Bomb's promo-lead up to the album release last night. If I could start a rumour based on nothing really but past experience, I'd say that we are about less than 2 weeks away (no later than Feb. 20th/21st?) from a radio show (the BBC?) that'll feature a hand full of new songs (mostly the possible singles). We're really close now, I just know it.

Another review on u2tour.de (in german):

Am Montag den 9. Februar 2009 war es auch in Wien soweit: Einer ausgewählten Schar von Journalisten aus Österreich wurde zum ersten Mal das neue U2 Album "No Line On The Horizon" vorgespielt. Didi von u2tour.de und drei Mitglieder der U2-Tribute-Band TribU2 hatten die Möglichkeit dabei zu sein, um zum ersten Mal in das neue Album zu schnuppern. Und hier liegt auch schon das Problem an diesem Album - mit einmal Hören, kann man maximal von Schnuppern reden. Unfassbare Blicke bei mir, verzweifelte Gesichter bei TribU2, wie man denn DIES oder DAS nun wieder umsetzt. Viel Arbeit für die Tribute-Bands steht bevor. Gernot Schödl, seineszeichens The Edge von TribU2, hat mir die unglaublich schwierige Aufgabe einer Rezension abgenommen. Und um ehrlich zu sein, fachmännischer hätte ich es nicht schreiben können. Enjoy!
U2 - No Line On The Horizon
Review von Gernot Schödl ( TribU2 - U2 Coverband)

Eine Rezension über ein U2-Album zu schreiben, nachdem man dieses einmal gehört hat, ist vermutlich wie die Quadratur des Kreises zu versuchen. Daher nachfolgend vielmehr ein paar persönliche Eindrücke eines Menschen, der eine nicht unwesentliche Zeit seines Lebens damit verbracht hat, die Musik der vier Ir(ren) nach allen Spielregeln der Kunst zu analysieren.

"No Line On The Horizon" ist wie, klingt nach, erinnert an...GAR NICHTS was U2 bislang gemacht haben. Auch nicht "Achtung Baby", was für viele Fans eventuell enttäuschend sein mag, haben doch viele Spekulationen im Vorfeld des Albums darauf hingedeutet, dass U2 an ihr Meisterwerk aus den frühen 90ern anschließen würden. NLOTH gefällt beim ersten Anhören nicht, und das ist wohl die erfreulichste Nachricht, alles andere wäre eine Enttäuschung gewesen. "Hits"? Sicher gibt es auch, augenscheinlich fallen jedoch nur 2-3 Songs auf diesem Album in diese Schublade, der Rest wartet sehnsüchtigst darauf entdeckt zu werden. Und das ist gut so.

No Line On The Horizon

Grunge, Hardrock, Metal usw., all dies wurde im Vorfeld assoziiert, fiele mir jedoch nicht spontan zu dieser Nummer ein. Freilich lebt sie von schiebenden 16teln von Gitarre und Bass, für U2-Verhältnisse mag das wohl hart klingen. In Wahrheit handelt es sich auch hierbei um eine (über)produzierte Nummer, bei der Bono einmal mehr in die höchsten Register abhebt, um dort seine Seele baumeln zu lassen. Die schiebenden Strophen münden nahtlos in einen ruhigeren Refrain, der mehrstimmig gesungen den Ruhepol des Liedes bildet. Mit Ausnahme einer kurzen Coda besteht das Lied nur aus Strophen und Refrains, eingebettet in jede Menge Elektronik. Brian Eno hat seine Handschrift schon beim ersten Song hinterlassen, und wird dies auch später noch des öfteren tun.

Magnificent

Auch keine Überraschung mehr - das ist der "Ohrwurm" des Albums und definitv eine Single. Dieser Song sitzt auch schon nach dem ersten Mal Hören im Ohr und besticht durch einen großen Refrain ("Only love can leave such a mark"). Beginnt er noch mit sanften Synthiesounds, entwickelt er sich doch rasch zu einer fast schon vertraut wirkenden U2-Hymne. Irgendwie kennt man dieses Lied, obwohl man es noch nicht gehört hat. Liegt es ev. daran, dass man die Gitarrenmelodie des Refrains schon aus "Million Dollar Hotel" kennt? Ja, Daniel Lanois hat auf diesem Song definitiv mitgemischt. Er wird seinen Platz wohl neben all den anderen U2-Klassikern einnehmen. Ein kurzer instrumentaler Zwischenteil, dann ein kurzes Slide-Guitar Solo, ansonsten dominiert das altbewährte Strophe-Refrain Schema. Auch hier gilt das Motto - weniger ist mehr. Und mehr braucht es nicht für einen großen U2-Song. Freuen wir uns schon jetzt darauf, diesen live zu hören...!

Moment Of Surrender

Hier spielt Brain Eno, und U2 spielen mit. Passengers Teil 2? Nein. Adams Basslinie, Bonos Soulstimme, die vereinzelt wieder in unsingbare Höhen abdriftet, und große Chöre machen diese Nummer zu einem Soulexperiment der Extraklasse, die ganz klar Eno's Handschrift trägt. Spannend, wie beim ganzen Album wird sein, wie die Chöre live umgesetzt werden. Ein kurzer instrumentaler Zwischenteil, ein kurzer Versuch eines Blues-Solos, ansonsten - Soul meets Elektonik. Mehr ist dazu wohl nicht zu sagen, sondern nur zu hören.

Unknown Caller

War bislang das prägnante Gitarrenspiel von The Edge nicht zu entdecken, so hören wir bei dieser Nummer erstmals die allzu vertraut klingende Delay-Gitarre. Auch das ist ein Markenzeichen des neuen Albums, wer auf gewohnte Signature-Sounds von Gitarren Seite wartet, wird diese zumindest nicht flächendeckend finden. Eher sporadisch eingesetzt, dann aber prägnant wie bei dieser Nummer, die insbesondere durch ihren punktierten Refrain besticht, den Insider schon aus Daniel Lanois' Film "Here is what is" kennen, und der in den Fez-Sessions entstanden ist. Auch hier sind wieder mehr als 2 Stimmen am Werk, wenn auch nicht mehrstimmig. Stark auch der Beginn des Songs, der einem den Sonnenaufgang quasi vor Augen führt. Auch hier zeigt sich wieder die Stärke des Produzententeams, durch die Musik Bilder in den Köpfen des Hörers hervorzurufen, etwa wenn Bono singt "I was lost between the midnight and the dawning.". Alles in allem ein toller Song, der mit einem großen Outro inkl. Kirchenorgel und einem minimalistsichen Gitarrensolo endet.

I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

Wenn man auf dem Album Singleauskoppelungen suchen muss, dann findet man hier eine weitere potentielle. Ein gefälliges Lied, aber dennoch nicht banal, mit einem einprägsamen Refrain. Wir werden dieses also vermutlich in einem Video sehen und im Radio hören können. Auffallend die Coda, die etwas an Polka bzw. sonst Tanzbares erinnert. U2 und Polka? Nein, keine Sorge, aber definitiv eine der eingängigsten Nummern des Albums.

Get on your boots

Die einen hassen sie, die anderen lieben sie - zumindest fast alle kennen sie. Auf die Liveumsetzung darf man auch hier gespannt sein, lebt die Nummer doch von den perkussiven Elementen, insbesondere während der Strophen. Ja, U2 haben sich mit dieser Nummer als Singleauskoppelung etwas getraut. Und vermutlich mit Absicht. The Fly hat ein Zeichen gesetzt, und Boots tut das ebenso, wenn auch ein ganz anderes.

Stand up comedy

Ein Highlight des Albums. Warum? Weil man so etwas von U2 definitv noch nicht gehört hat. 70er Rock, Musical-Nummer im Stile von "Hair", sogar ein kleiner Hauch von Funk...alles Attribute, die man nicht zwingend mit U2 verbinden würde, die hier aber jedenfalls zutreffen. Die Nummer rockt und sollte live ein Hammer werden. Hervorgehoben werden muss auch die Textzeile "Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady". Was uns Bono damit wohl sagen will?

Fez - being born

Viel Elektronik zu Beginn, und Referenzen zu anderen Songs des Albums (z.B. "Let me in the sound" von GOYB). Die Nummer besticht durch eine rollenden Beat und cooles Programming. Auch hier hat sich Meister Eno wohl intensiv einbringen dürfen, und das macht Spaß. Definitiv ein innovativer Song mit großem Potential.

White as snow

So ist draußen die Winterlandschaft, und in kalten Zeiten geht man am Besten ins warme Bett. Dort fühlt sich der Zuhörer auch augenblicklich hineinversetzt. Eine Nummer zum Schlafen, in Anlehnung an das nichtssagende "One Step Closer" des letzten Albums. Gute Nacht.

Breathe

Bono beim Versuch nicht nach Bono zu klingen. Ob das gut geht? Ein wenig Stones, ein wenig frühe REM, ein wenig...nicht Bono jedenfalls. Ah ja, hier war sie wieder die Gitarre, die man bei einigen Nummern dann fast schon vermisst hat. Hier ist sie wieder dominant da, wenn auch nicht im vertrauten Stil. U2 beim Versuch sich einmal mehr zu erfinden ("Every day I die again, and again I'm reborn)".

Cedars Of Lebanon

Ein Highlight des Albums und ein starker Closer. Auch hier wieder Bono, der nicht nach Bono klingen will, was ihm hier aber deutlich besser gelingt als auf Breathe. Eine ruhige Nummer, die den Zuhörer in eine eigene Welt entführt. Das "Grace" des Albums, wenn auch um einiges vielschichtiger.

Für das ganze Album gilt - ein großer Augenmerk wurde auf die Arrangements der Songs gelegt. Spannend bleibt, wie die Live-Umsetzung der durchwegs aufwendig instrumentierten und arrangierten Songs erfolgen wird.

Fazit:
Ein Fazit über ein U2-Album zu schreiben, nachdem man dieses einmal gehört hat, ist vermutlich wie die Quadratur des Kreises zu versuchen. Daher abschliessend vielmehr die persönliche Meinung eines Menschen, der eine nicht unwesentliche Zeit seines Lebens damit verbracht hat, die Musik der vier Ir(ren) nach allen Spielregeln der Kunst zu analysieren: Es wird spannend, diese Songs live zu hören. Um das zu reproduzieren, was sie da geschaffen haben, wird es mehr brauchen, als vier Musiker und ihre Instrumente. Was bleibt ist das Gefühl, sich auf die Songs zu freuen, obwohl sie nach dem ersten Hören nicht begeistern. Ein gutes Gefühl.
_____

Generally it says that the album is so complex that you might not like it when hearing it for the first time - but the article points out that this is a good sign! The album sounds like being a massive grower, which takes time and effort to get into it.

On the other hand Didi (one who listened the album as well) said that the album seemed to be too slow for him.

^ Interesting review, and it shows once more that the Wall Mart clips are NOT representative of the songs at all. Not much new stuff in the review, though, but - again - the impression that it is a complex album, which is a good thing. The only thing I don't agree with is White As Snow. I know I haven't heard the entire song, but I've been intrigued with it since I heard the clip. I love Bono's voice and I also like the narrative approach. Björn from u2tour.de has said that it was the song he found most impressive and moving. And I have to say I also like One Step Closer, so the similarities are positive for me.
And I'm really intrigued about the punk/grunge sound of NLOTH, because in the clip you can hear NOTHING that sounds even remotedly like this description.

And Cedars :drool:

Everything else sounds fine, too, makes me excited about the album. :up:

google translator:

On Monday the 9th February 2009, it was also in Vienna, where: A selected group of journalists from Austria was the first time the new U2 album "No Line On The Horizon" presents. Didi by u2tour.de and three members of the U2 tribute band TribU2 had the opportunity to be there for the first time in the new album to sniff. And here lies also the problem of this album - with one listen, you can sniff up by talking. Inconceivable glances at me, desperate faces at TribU2 how you have this or that now implements. Lots of work for the tribute band is imminent. Gernot Schödl his mark The Edge of TribU2, gave me the incredibly difficult task of a review decreased. And to be honest, professional, I would not write. Enjoy!
Review by Gernot Schödl (TribU2 - U2 Cover Band)

A review on a U2 album to write, after you heard this once, is probably like the squaring of the circle to try. Therefore, the following rather a few personal impressions of a man, a not insignificant period of his life is spent, the music of the four Ir (ren) according to all rules of art to analyze.

"No Line On The Horizon" is like, sounds like, reminiscent of what ... NOTHING GAR U2 have made so far. Not even "Achtung Baby", which may be disappointing many fans might be, but have many speculations on the eve of the album that indicated to her that U2's masterpiece from the early 90s would follow. NLOTH do not listen at first, and this is probably the most positive message, everything else would have been a disappointment. "Hits"? Sure, there are also, apparently, however, only 2-3 songs on this album in the drawer, the rest is waiting eagerly to discover them. And that's good.

No Line On The Horizon

Grunge, hard rock, metal, etc., all this has been associated in advance, I would, however, do not spontaneously about this number. Admittedly, she lives by pushing 16teln of guitar and bass for U2-like conditions probably sounds harsh. The truth is also here, an (over) produced point where Bono once more in the highest register in order his unwind. The pushing stanzas lead seamlessly into a quieter chorus of polyphonically sung the rest of the song forms. With the exception of a brief coda, the song just verses and choruses, embedded in a lot of electronics. Brian Eno has been his signature song when you first leave, and will later be seen to do so.

Magnificent

Also no surprise - this is the "catchy" of the album and definitely a single. This song is even after the first hearing in the ear and captivates with a great chorus ( "Only love can leave such a mark"). He begins with gentle synth sounds, but he developed quickly into a familiar-looking almost U2 anthem. Somehow you know this song, although it has yet to be heard. Is it maybe because the guitar melody of the choruses have made "Million Dollar Hotel" knows? Yes, Daniel Lanois has on this song definitely mitgemischt. He probably will have its place alongside all the other U2 classics take. A short instrumental part intermediate, then a short slide-guitar solo, but otherwise dominated by the traditional verse-chorus pattern. Also here is the motto - less is more. And it does not need more for a great U2 song. We are looking forward to hear this live ...!

Moment Of Surrender

Here Brain Eno, and U2 to play with. Passengers Part 2? No. Adam's bass line, soul Bono's voice, the isolated heights again unsingbare drift and large choruses make this point to a soul in a class experiment, which clearly Eno's influence. Fascinating as the whole album will be how to live choirs implemented. A short instrumental intermediate part, a brief attempt at a blues solos, but otherwise - Soul Meets Electronics. More about this probably is not to say, but just to listen.

Unknown Caller

Has been the guitar of striking The Edge is not to discover, as we hear at this point, the first time, the overly familiar-sounding guitar delay. This is also a hallmark of the new album, who is the usual signature sounds of guitars waiting page, it will at least not widely found. Rather sporadically used, but concise as this number, in particular by its chorus is dotted, the insiders have made Daniel Lanois' film "Here is what is" familiar, and Fez in the sessions occurred. Again, again more than 2 votes are at work, albeit not polyphonically. Stark also the beginning of the song, which is a quasi before sunrise eyes. Here, too, shows again the strength of producer teams, through the music images in the minds of the listener cause confusion, as when Bono sings "I was lost between the midnight and the Dawning.". All in all a great song with a great outro including church organ and a guitar solo minimalistsichen ends.

I'll go crazy if I do not go crazy tonight

If you go to the album Singleauskoppelungen look, then you will find here a further potential. A pleasing song, but still not trivial, with a memorable chorus. We will therefore probably in this video to see and hear on the radio. Strikingly, the coda, the polka or something else dance Bares recalls. U2 and polka? No, do not worry, but definitely one of the catchy numbers of the album.

Get on your boots

Some hate it, others love them - at least almost all they know. On the live implementation must also curious as to the number of lives but of the percussive elements, especially during the verses. Yes, U2 have addressed this point as something Singleauskoppelung married. And probably on purpose. The Fly has a character set, and the boat is doing well, albeit a very different matter.

Stand up comedy

A highlight of the album. Why? Because you are something of U2 definitely not yet heard. 70s rock, musical number in the style of "Hair" and even a little touch of funk ... all attributes that can not necessarily associate with U2 would be here but in any case apply. The number should be live rock and a hammer will. It is important to emphasize the line "Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady." What makes us so Bono wants to say?

Fez - Being born

Much electronics to begin with, and references to other songs of the album (eg "Let me in the sound" of GOYB). The number is a rolling beat and cool programming. Again, Master Eno probably be intensely involved, and this is fun. Definitely a song with great innovative potential.

White as snow

So is there a winter landscape, and in cold periods, it is best to warm bed. There, the audience feels even hineinversetzt instantly. One number to sleep, according to the bland "One Step Closer" the last album. Good night.

Breathe

Bono while trying not to sound Bono. Whether it goes well? A little Stones, a little early REM, a bit ... not Bono anyway. Ah yes, here she was again the guitar, you at some points then has almost misses. Here it is again dominant, because, although not in the familiar style. U2 when trying once more to invent ( "Every day I die again, and again I'm reborn)".

Cedars Of Lebanon

A highlight of the album and a strong Closer. Again, Bono, Bono, the sound does not want him here but succeeds much better than Breathe. A quiet number that the listener into a world away. The "Grace" album, albeit a bit more complex.

For the whole album - a great attention has been paid to the arrangements of the songs laid. Exciting remains, as the live implementation of consistently and elaborately instrumented arranged songs will be made.

Conclusion:
A conclusion on a U2 album to write, after you heard this once, is probably like the squaring of the circle to try. Therefore, much more conclusively the personal opinion of a man, a not insignificant period of his life is spent, the music of the four Ir (ren) according to all rules of art to analyze: It is exciting to these songs can be heard live. To reproduce what they have created, it will need more than four musicians and their instruments. What remains is the feeling to the songs to look, although after the first listen does not inspire. A good feeling.

Unknown Caller Outro :up:

And the review is from my country, that means journalists here have heard it. I'm scared. Our music critics usually hate U2. :|

Another review on u2tour.de (in german):

Am Montag den 9. Februar 2009 war es auch in Wien soweit: Einer ausgewählten Schar von Journalisten aus Österreich wurde zum ersten Mal das neue U2 Album "No Line On The Horizon" vorgespielt. Didi von u2tour.de und drei Mitglieder der U2-Tribute-Band TribU2 hatten die Möglichkeit dabei zu sein, um zum ersten Mal in das neue Album zu schnuppern. Und hier liegt auch schon das Problem an diesem Album - mit einmal Hören, kann man maximal von Schnuppern reden. Unfassbare Blicke bei mir, verzweifelte Gesichter bei TribU2, wie man denn DIES oder DAS nun wieder umsetzt. Viel Arbeit für die Tribute-Bands steht bevor. Gernot Schödl, seineszeichens The Edge von TribU2, hat mir die unglaublich schwierige Aufgabe einer Rezension abgenommen. Und um ehrlich zu sein, fachmännischer hätte ich es nicht schreiben können. Enjoy!
Review von Gernot Schödl ( TribU2 - U2 Coverband)

Eine Rezension über ein U2-Album zu schreiben, nachdem man dieses einmal gehört hat, ist vermutlich wie die Quadratur des Kreises zu versuchen. Daher nachfolgend vielmehr ein paar persönliche Eindrücke eines Menschen, der eine nicht unwesentliche Zeit seines Lebens damit verbracht hat, die Musik der vier Ir(ren) nach allen Spielregeln der Kunst zu analysieren.

"No Line On The Horizon" ist wie, klingt nach, erinnert an...GAR NICHTS was U2 bislang gemacht haben. Auch nicht "Achtung Baby", was für viele Fans eventuell enttäuschend sein mag, haben doch viele Spekulationen im Vorfeld des Albums darauf hingedeutet, dass U2 an ihr Meisterwerk aus den frühen 90ern anschließen würden. NLOTH gefällt beim ersten Anhören nicht, und das ist wohl die erfreulichste Nachricht, alles andere wäre eine Enttäuschung gewesen. "Hits"? Sicher gibt es auch, augenscheinlich fallen jedoch nur 2-3 Songs auf diesem Album in diese Schublade, der Rest wartet sehnsüchtigst darauf entdeckt zu werden. Und das ist gut so.

No Line On The Horizon

Grunge, Hardrock, Metal usw., all dies wurde im Vorfeld assoziiert, fiele mir jedoch nicht spontan zu dieser Nummer ein. Freilich lebt sie von schiebenden 16teln von Gitarre und Bass, für U2-Verhältnisse mag das wohl hart klingen. In Wahrheit handelt es sich auch hierbei um eine (über)produzierte Nummer, bei der Bono einmal mehr in die höchsten Register abhebt, um dort seine Seele baumeln zu lassen. Die schiebenden Strophen münden nahtlos in einen ruhigeren Refrain, der mehrstimmig gesungen den Ruhepol des Liedes bildet. Mit Ausnahme einer kurzen Coda besteht das Lied nur aus Strophen und Refrains, eingebettet in jede Menge Elektronik. Brian Eno hat seine Handschrift schon beim ersten Song hinterlassen, und wird dies auch später noch des öfteren tun.

Magnificent

Auch keine Überraschung mehr - das ist der "Ohrwurm" des Albums und definitv eine Single. Dieser Song sitzt auch schon nach dem ersten Mal Hören im Ohr und besticht durch einen großen Refrain ("Only love can leave such a mark"). Beginnt er noch mit sanften Synthiesounds, entwickelt er sich doch rasch zu einer fast schon vertraut wirkenden U2-Hymne. Irgendwie kennt man dieses Lied, obwohl man es noch nicht gehört hat. Liegt es ev. daran, dass man die Gitarrenmelodie des Refrains schon aus "Million Dollar Hotel" kennt? Ja, Daniel Lanois hat auf diesem Song definitiv mitgemischt. Er wird seinen Platz wohl neben all den anderen U2-Klassikern einnehmen. Ein kurzer instrumentaler Zwischenteil, dann ein kurzes Slide-Guitar Solo, ansonsten dominiert das altbewährte Strophe-Refrain Schema. Auch hier gilt das Motto - weniger ist mehr. Und mehr braucht es nicht für einen großen U2-Song. Freuen wir uns schon jetzt darauf, diesen live zu hören...!

Moment Of Surrender

Hier spielt Brain Eno, und U2 spielen mit. Passengers Teil 2? Nein. Adams Basslinie, Bonos Soulstimme, die vereinzelt wieder in unsingbare Höhen abdriftet, und große Chöre machen diese Nummer zu einem Soulexperiment der Extraklasse, die ganz klar Eno's Handschrift trägt. Spannend, wie beim ganzen Album wird sein, wie die Chöre live umgesetzt werden. Ein kurzer instrumentaler Zwischenteil, ein kurzer Versuch eines Blues-Solos, ansonsten - Soul meets Elektonik. Mehr ist dazu wohl nicht zu sagen, sondern nur zu hören.

Unknown Caller

War bislang das prägnante Gitarrenspiel von The Edge nicht zu entdecken, so hören wir bei dieser Nummer erstmals die allzu vertraut klingende Delay-Gitarre. Auch das ist ein Markenzeichen des neuen Albums, wer auf gewohnte Signature-Sounds von Gitarren Seite wartet, wird diese zumindest nicht flächendeckend finden. Eher sporadisch eingesetzt, dann aber prägnant wie bei dieser Nummer, die insbesondere durch ihren punktierten Refrain besticht, den Insider schon aus Daniel Lanois' Film "Here is what is" kennen, und der in den Fez-Sessions entstanden ist. Auch hier sind wieder mehr als 2 Stimmen am Werk, wenn auch nicht mehrstimmig. Stark auch der Beginn des Songs, der einem den Sonnenaufgang quasi vor Augen führt. Auch hier zeigt sich wieder die Stärke des Produzententeams, durch die Musik Bilder in den Köpfen des Hörers hervorzurufen, etwa wenn Bono singt "I was lost between the midnight and the dawning.". Alles in allem ein toller Song, der mit einem großen Outro inkl. Kirchenorgel und einem minimalistsichen Gitarrensolo endet.

I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

Wenn man auf dem Album Singleauskoppelungen suchen muss, dann findet man hier eine weitere potentielle. Ein gefälliges Lied, aber dennoch nicht banal, mit einem einprägsamen Refrain. Wir werden dieses also vermutlich in einem Video sehen und im Radio hören können. Auffallend die Coda, die etwas an Polka bzw. sonst Tanzbares erinnert. U2 und Polka? Nein, keine Sorge, aber definitiv eine der eingängigsten Nummern des Albums.

Get on your boots

Die einen hassen sie, die anderen lieben sie - zumindest fast alle kennen sie. Auf die Liveumsetzung darf man auch hier gespannt sein, lebt die Nummer doch von den perkussiven Elementen, insbesondere während der Strophen. Ja, U2 haben sich mit dieser Nummer als Singleauskoppelung etwas getraut. Und vermutlich mit Absicht. The Fly hat ein Zeichen gesetzt, und Boots tut das ebenso, wenn auch ein ganz anderes.

Stand up comedy

Ein Highlight des Albums. Warum? Weil man so etwas von U2 definitv noch nicht gehört hat. 70er Rock, Musical-Nummer im Stile von "Hair", sogar ein kleiner Hauch von Funk...alles Attribute, die man nicht zwingend mit U2 verbinden würde, die hier aber jedenfalls zutreffen. Die Nummer rockt und sollte live ein Hammer werden. Hervorgehoben werden muss auch die Textzeile "Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady". Was uns Bono damit wohl sagen will?

Fez - being born

Viel Elektronik zu Beginn, und Referenzen zu anderen Songs des Albums (z.B. "Let me in the sound" von GOYB). Die Nummer besticht durch eine rollenden Beat und cooles Programming. Auch hier hat sich Meister Eno wohl intensiv einbringen dürfen, und das macht Spaß. Definitiv ein innovativer Song mit großem Potential.

White as snow

So ist draußen die Winterlandschaft, und in kalten Zeiten geht man am Besten ins warme Bett. Dort fühlt sich der Zuhörer auch augenblicklich hineinversetzt. Eine Nummer zum Schlafen, in Anlehnung an das nichtssagende "One Step Closer" des letzten Albums. Gute Nacht.

Breathe

Bono beim Versuch nicht nach Bono zu klingen. Ob das gut geht? Ein wenig Stones, ein wenig frühe REM, ein wenig...nicht Bono jedenfalls. Ah ja, hier war sie wieder die Gitarre, die man bei einigen Nummern dann fast schon vermisst hat. Hier ist sie wieder dominant da, wenn auch nicht im vertrauten Stil. U2 beim Versuch sich einmal mehr zu erfinden ("Every day I die again, and again I'm reborn)".

Cedars Of Lebanon

Ein Highlight des Albums und ein starker Closer. Auch hier wieder Bono, der nicht nach Bono klingen will, was ihm hier aber deutlich besser gelingt als auf Breathe. Eine ruhige Nummer, die den Zuhörer in eine eigene Welt entführt. Das "Grace" des Albums, wenn auch um einiges vielschichtiger.

Für das ganze Album gilt - ein großer Augenmerk wurde auf die Arrangements der Songs gelegt. Spannend bleibt, wie die Live-Umsetzung der durchwegs aufwendig instrumentierten und arrangierten Songs erfolgen wird.

Fazit:
Ein Fazit über ein U2-Album zu schreiben, nachdem man dieses einmal gehört hat, ist vermutlich wie die Quadratur des Kreises zu versuchen. Daher abschliessend vielmehr die persönliche Meinung eines Menschen, der eine nicht unwesentliche Zeit seines Lebens damit verbracht hat, die Musik der vier Ir(ren) nach allen Spielregeln der Kunst zu analysieren: Es wird spannend, diese Songs live zu hören. Um das zu reproduzieren, was sie da geschaffen haben, wird es mehr brauchen, als vier Musiker und ihre Instrumente. Was bleibt ist das Gefühl, sich auf die Songs zu freuen, obwohl sie nach dem ersten Hören nicht begeistern. Ein gutes Gefühl.
_____

Generally it says that the album is so complex that you might not like it when hearing it for the first time - but the article points out that this is a good sign! The album sounds like being a massive grower, which takes time and effort to get into it.

On the other hand Didi (one who listened the album as well) said that the album seemed to be too slow for him.

Interesting review and man do German know how to formulate a sentence or what :applaud:

I'm glad to inform you that I've just read another German review that is - finally - quite negative. The guy who heard the album says it's boring (like the cover), there's nothing innovative about it, he slams all the songs except the last three, says Breathe is the best song on the album, says there are no real highlights and most of it is radio mainstream (though he admits other journalists at the preview disagreed with him). He says GOYB is the most innovative and couragous song on there and Bono's lyrics are often dull. He concludes by saying that the album shows that U2's innovative days are over and that AB will always be their best work. He also says most people at the prelistening were confused and irritated by the album. He calls most songs "tame", but has some nice words for guitar work and vocals. He calls most songs "conservative" and says MOS is "kitsch" and a "filler".

:happy:

Pheeew, I hope I didn't leave out anything. I'm basically happy that the negative stuff is finally beginning to come out, because we will get lots of it during the next week.

The review is actually from my country, I'm not surprised.

Everyone can take from it whatever they like. Take the good reviews or take the bad reviews, at this point no review is more "true" than any other.

:up: I want mor negative reviews. I want to know what is bad about the album, too. I don't wanna be over-excited because last time I was and then I became disapointed...

Well, all albums recieve negative reviews.
What we gotta stay prepared for is reviews from Q, RS, New York Times, Allmusic, Pitchfork, USA Today...etc. Those are the reviews that will sell the album... or not.

He also says most people at the prelistening were confused and irritated by the album.

i can see this... get on your boots has confused and irriatated me... irritated in that i want to love the song, i do love bits and pieces of the song, but i just can't bring myself to completely love the song.

i keep getting a bad feeling that u2, by letting eno and lanois have an even greater say on the actual song writing, attempted to make a more accessible version of passengers.

if it's true the album will tank. doesn't mean it won't be good, just means it won't sell.

i actually don't know if i want to be right or wrong... :hmm:

i can see this... get on your boots has confused and irriatated me... irritated in that i want to love the song, i do love bits and pieces of the song, but i just can't bring myself to completely love the song.

i keep getting a bad feeling that u2, by letting eno and lanois have an even greater say on the actual song writing, attempted to make a more accessible version of passengers.

if it's true the album will tank. doesn't mean it won't be good, just means it won't sell.

i actually don't know if i want to be right or wrong... :hmm:

Nah, Lanois is specifically there to prevent Eno from turn the record into a ode to elevator music.

But the last reviewer made it sound as if U2 is playing it safe again, but at the same time he said there are two or three singles on the album and the rest doesn't have the potential to be hits, just to turn around again and say U2 have become a band for "shopping mall music". I don't know if he can even make up his mind, I wouldn't be too worried about reviews like that.

But the last reviewer made it sound as if U2 is playing it safe again, but at the same time he said there are two or three singles on the album and the rest doesn't have the potential to be hits, just to turn around again and say U2 have become a band for "shopping mall music". I don't know if he can even make up his mind, I wouldn't be too worried about reviews like that.

I am getting more and more intrigued.
:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom