New U2 Album in 2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not big on October myself, though Gloria's a standout on any album. Love the two ATYCLB songs you mentioned though, but I think all the singles are pretty good too. Love In a Little While and don't mind Wild Honey either.

Grace a snoozefest? I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's not the snoozefest that's called Cedars of Lebanon either.

:reject:

IMO both Grace and COL are a major snoozefest. It's like U2 were thinking, okay, we made Grace. But how can we make a song that's even slower and more dull? And then Cedars was born.

Slower...and 100000000 times more interesting lyrically, with a far more sophisticated chord progression and evocative production that captures the claustrophobia and malaise inherent in the storyline.

Yeah, Cedars blows way harder than Grace.

I like both Cedars and Grace, but Cedars is a good bit better. Two totally different songs to me. Only thing in common is they're slow and end an album.

Cedars is one of their very best closing songs. Only Love Is Blindness and Wake Up Dead Man top it.

I never really liked that one but I've been listened to Zooropa a few times since the AB reissue came out and I'm liking it more and more. I still think the electronic sounds that carry the song are awful though.

Slower...and 100000000 times more interesting lyrically, with a far more sophisticated chord progression and evocative production that captures the claustrophobia and malaise inherent in the storyline.

Yeah, Cedars blows way harder than Grace.

Perhaps it's an interesting story there. I acknowledged as much in another thread. But I do prefer hearing Bono actually sing in the end. On top of that, I didn't think the instrumentation was that particularly good either (not that Grace has much above it, but I do hear more of a song there).

Again, agree to disagree! :)

I was expecting a second album in 2009.

Which is pretty much your own fault. I know the band (Bono) talked up Songs of Ascent, but if you really thought they were going to release a second album that year, well, I don't know what to tell you except you set your hopes too high.

I thought an album might have come out last year when they had really talked up Danger Mouse, coupled with that hush-hush news about Universal planning a big released mid-May, and I think if not for Spiderman we would have had something released. I never had my hopes totally up, though, and I certainly didn't expect one to.

I was expecting a second album in 2009.

Which is pretty much your own fault. I know the band (Bono) talked up Songs of Ascent, but if you really thought they were going to release a second album that year, well, I don't know what to tell you except you set your hopes too high.
Not that unreasonable. The way Bono was talking, U2 was going to Dominate 2009. In retrospect, expecting another album was folly. But I'm still not sure what Bono was banging on about.

I do think it was inevitable that 2012 would see no new album. If they had something in the pipe, we surely would have heard it hyped to the heavens by now.

Anyway, let's assume that McGuinness' quote is accurate and real, which it could very well be (though I'm not positive given that it was removed from the article).

How would he even know? Let's also assume that U2 have 3 albums. And of those three albums, each probably has like, 2-3 songs max, and those are probably just songs strung together. I'm guessing the Danger Mouse sessions are the most complete, but even then, I wouldn't bet on more than 4 actual songs done.

Also assuming they do start recording at some point this year, who's to say things just won't come together quickly? I'm not banking on it by any means, and I'm not expecting an album. But I don't think this quote can be taken as canon, since I doubt even U2 knows what they have, and how quickly it could come together. It's February, and I assume they'll record at some point this year. Who's to say that they won't be satisfied with some sort of collection of songs come late July?

Like I said, I'm not expecting an album this year, but given that we're one month into the year, I don't think it's unreasonable that they could somehow, someway, record a collection of songs that they're satisfied with. It's just too early in the process.

Ha. That would be great. But... on that line of thinking, Danger Mouse ain't bad. And has he (Dan) had any experience with anything similar? Don't think so (always, at least loosely, hip hop and him very much driving) but might be wrong.

"Non-campaign year" - for pretty much every McGuinness quote, my mental image of him delivering it has him in front of a Powerpoint presentation. Bet there are good pastries in those meetings.

iirc, dan the automator has had programming, mixing and production credits for the likes of:

Depeche Mode
Kasabian
Dredg
Primal Scream
Gorillaz
Miles Kane

Back
Top Bottom