New U2 Album Discussion (alt title: Lose Your Will To Live Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Album in May...

Not happening. We would've heard a lot more news... rumors or not. Just give up already. This damn Spider Man play is the culprit.

I wonder how many people will petition for Zooropa man's banning after this thread.

Here's what will happen. There will be no announcement of any sort about the album between now and the South American shows. Then in an interview for these shows one of the band members will mention they are working on new music but won't have a clear answer as to when it's coming out, saying "Perhaps by the end of the year", which everyone on here will immediately recognise as bullshit because they won't have much time to work on an album due to touring commitments. After a wave of angry and frustrated outbursts everyone will resign themselves to the fact that we are at least 18 months away from the next U2 album.

That sounds most likely. Although, it might be a bit glaringly obvious that they won't release an album at the end of the year, because they will have just finished touring. I actually kind of hope they just come clean, and say "we did have songs, but it never really came together (or whatever), so nothing's happening."
Would be painful to hear, but at least it would be honest and we wouldn't be given any more false hope about some random date in the future.

I approve of this thread. A steady drip of this type will slowly inoculate the forum. :up:

Well is that Spider-Man EP going to be recorded by them? Or the people in the show?

They've performed "A Boy Falls from the Sky" and it sounds pretty good. The IEM version is on Youtube.

1c3c971c_This-Thread-Sucks-Zoidberg.jpg

I seriously doubt that. I'm sure there's plenty of little disagreements and whatever on the details as they go along, but I think when it comes to the big picture they're probably all on the same page these days. There's no evidence of a division, even in a superficial 'attitude' way (compared to, say, the 90s and the perceived Conservative Larry vs Creative Bono thing.) Who wouldn't be happy with anything now? They're all pretty interchangeable, it seems.

Mind you, IF it turns out to be Spider-man that kills the May album, Larry and Adam may of course be none too pleased with that, and 99.9% of the fanbase will very quickly do arms deals with that side of the civil war. But I doubt that will be the case, or end up being the reason if the album has been canned. Spider-man really hit the shits after the album should have been done.

Definitely could, but almost certainly wouldn't.

Why do you think Bono and Edge are doing Spiderman in the first place? And probably devoting as much time to it as to working with Adam and Larry. I hope your right. But the fact that they've seemingly got nothing to show for all these new album promises suggest that things are not going swimmingly in the studio.

I would love it if I am totally wrong. No one would be more happy than me. But I've got a sinking feeling. 30+ years is a long time for a band to stay together...especially one as intense as U2. Just saying.

Julie Taymore is out as Spider-Man director. Maybe this will give Bono and Edge the reason to jump ship and not waste any more fucking time on this crap.

Yeah, even as a joke, this one is fairly lame.

Not even because it will excite people, just basic poor form.

I would sign aforementioned petition

I think NLOTH's lack of singles aside, it was massively overhyped as "Achtung Baby 2.0" reinvention, mostly by Daniel Lanois. While it's definitely somewhat different (mostly due to the lyrics) from the other two records in this decade, most of it would still sit along very comfortably in this era. Save for MOS, White as snow and maybe SUC, for all its trying (mostly on Bono's part) it is still a 00's U2 record. And maybe the audience was tired of Magnificent/Boots/Crazy type of songs. And it looks like U2 got the message, and promptly switched producers. Eno and Lanois just didn't deliver this time.

I agree with your general thought, but I'm not sure about your examples aside from MOS. SUC is just a cock-rock diversion along the lines of Love & Peace or Else, but not as good, and the "up with people" bullshit of the lyrics is what Boner had been dishing out on the last two albums. I like White as Snow, but it's not like they hadn't done stripped down recently; both Wild Honey and One Step Closer feature a similar acoustic minimalism, though the latter is closer in aesthetics.

Cedars of Lebanon doesn't sound like anything on ATYCLB or The Bomb, and would fit more on Pop. Fez clearly harkens back more to the UF days. And the dirty atmospherics of the title track are reminiscent of AB, as well as a distinct similarity to Zooropa's title song in the beat. Unknown Caller isn't exactly experimental, but it sounds like something a little more complex than the previous 00's work, with the dark guitar work on the verses and the group chanting on the chorus. Edge getting a long solo is also out of step with the back-to-basics modus operandi.

You won't get an argument from me on Magnificent, Crazy Tonight, and Breathe, though at least the former has a club beat going for it. Let's not forget the original title was "French Disco".

Did someone say Drunken McGuinness said something??!?

Drunken McGuiness said:
So our website is a fookin' cannibal, eh? Well, you're all a bunch of fookin' thieves, the lot of ya. Why the hell would we tell ya when our album is coomin' out? You're just gonna start one of yer fookin' leak threads and then all pass it around the interweb to each other, you greedy fooks.

Maybe. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom