New Coldplay - "Mylo Xyloto", Oct 24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rihanna is fucking awesome. Princess of China is just a weak song and always will be, regardless of who throws a vocal on top. I like her contribution.

LM, you don't at least like that lead synth line? I think that they had the core of something great there, but then went astray.

That synth line kinda sounds like the Atlanta Braves' tomahawk chop rally chant.

I'm tellin you guys, the song picks up when Rihanna hits the chorus. "I could've been a princess, you'd be a king. Could've had a castle, worn a ring. But noooooooooooo..."

Unfortunately it's only repeated twice in the middle of the track. I think the song would have benefited from going back to that chorus one final time later in the song.

But that's why I'm not a multi-millionaire black R&B icon.

Coldplay's evidently opted to go with a Chile-first distribution model

(not available in the US? hmm)

iron yuppie said:
LM, you don't at least like that lead synth line? I think that they had the core of something great there, but then went astray.

It has the same problem as the synth lines on the rest of the album: it's too buzzy and loud and in your face. Such cuddly sweet pop songs should at least have some warmth.

Who was the primary producer for this album, assuming there was one? Right now I'm assuming Skrillex.

Ooh, I can hear some Homogenic in those beats from time to time, especially when they have a lot of bite behind them. Since he produced Neon Bible and The Suburbs, Hurts Like Heaven's similarity to Keep The Car Running/Empty Room is more justifiable.

Dfit00 said:
Most people dislike Rihanna not because she's a pop icon, it's because she tries too hard in pretending to be an American black R&B/hip-hop icon; which she's not and will never be.

The same thing happens with Snooki.

Wait, what?

Paradise is actually kind of nice for the first 50 seconds and then the outro choir bit. But it is just more elevator music from them otherwise.

Coldplay certainly aren't copping U2's critical acclaim. They never really have been darlings though...even Viva La Vida managed a pretty good but definitely not great 72 at metacritic, same as that flop NLOTH.

Have you had a listen yet, elfa? I'd like to know what you think of 2011's foremost English neon glitter-rock album.

Just had my first full listen and, overall, I think it's a decent album. It's early days, but I feel that this will probably fall in as my fourth favourite Coldplay album, behind A Rush of Blood To The Head, Viva La Vida, and Parachutes.

Word.

Neither of the final two tracks on the album have clicked with me yet. "Don't Let It Break Your Heart" seems like a bit of a mess, and for the verses in "Up With The Birds" it sounds like they just stole the vocal melody from their mediocre Christmas single from last year. Not a particularly memorable album closer. Which is an important thing.

Other than that, I'm good to go. "Up In Flames" is becoming a standout for me, and I still think the first half of the album is a lot of fun.

I've only listened once. Sounds OK to me so far.

This is who Coldplay is now. They've exchanged their "indie" cred for more of a pop/rock sound so that they can contend in the charts. They aren't anymore going to make Rush of Blood Part II than U2 is going to make Joshua Tree Part II.

For what it's worth, I like their current sound. They will probably never make an Achtung Baby (second-coming masterpiece), but most bands don't :shrug:

DISCLAIMERS:
1. Sorry for all the U2 references.
2. Yes, I realize CP is on Parlophone and has never really been "indie."

I've only listened once. Sounds OK to me so far.

This is who Coldplay is now. They've exchanged their "indie" cred for more of a pop/rock sound so that they can contend in the charts. They aren't anymore going to make Rush of Blood Part II than U2 is going to make Joshua Tree Part II.

For what it's worth, I like their current sound. They will probably never make an Achtung Baby (second-coming masterpiece), but most bands don't :shrug:

DISCLAIMERS:
1. Sorry for all the U2 references.
2. Yes, I realize CP is on Parlophone and has never really been "indie."

I really have no idea what you mean by 'indie' cred. They never, ever had 'indie' cred.

And A Rush of Blood to the Head certainly isn't that. And neither is The Joshua Tree.

"Alternative Rock" or whatever you want to call that genre. They are certainly poppier now than they were on the first couple albums.

GAF, every time I hear ETIAW, I can't help but sing, "I'd rather be Obama than a Pol Pot," in my head, so thanks for that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom