New album: general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but surely to create buzz they should release the album a few weeks before the tour starts? That way they can rehearse new songs to play live, but more importantly, the audience will recognise the new songs, instead of saying "what the hell is this? PLAY ELEVATION!"

I think they'd be wasting a great opportunity... at least for those first few NA shows..

Because they aren't creating buzz for the tour, they are creating buzz for the album. They know videos of new songs will be on youtube the next morning. They will have to play new songs from the start of the leg. They figure that the first few shows will be like a promo tour for the album - get the hype machnie started in exactly the way it did when they played Glastonbury, North Star, Every breaking Wave, Mercy, BFFTS.... That would be the internet!

They loved the feeling of playing new songs to their audience

the announcement for the Moncton U2 show states that the show will the last in North America." meaning there likely will be more dates after July...

this + recent quotes from Paul McG/Bono + Universal rumblings is adding up to the obvious.

I think the writing's on the wall.. we're getting a new album by the summer.

Hope 2 hear some reliable news about the new Album Soon?

YouTube - IAMX - RAIN TO SEA

IAMX RAIN TO SEA- You are the summer in my bed fooling around wearing the daylight round your neck calming me down save the fire cause there's no moss come to me like rain to sea you shone in the circus while the crowd drunk and amazed breaking so many circles counting clouds feeling the wave save the lover survive on one into me like rain to see come to me

There's something that flies in the face of all the "the tour will promote the album" folks... u2, and all acts really, make a shit load more by touring then they do with albums.

There's a reason why their biggest contact is with live nation, a production company, and not universal, the recording company.

Because they aren't creating buzz for the tour, they are creating buzz for the album. They know videos of new songs will be on youtube the next morning. They will have to play new songs from the start of the leg. They figure that the first few shows will be like a promo tour for the album - get the hype machnie started in exactly the way it did when they played Glastonbury, North Star, Every breaking Wave, Mercy, BFFTS.... That would be the internet!

They loved the feeling of playing new songs to their audience

I'm not so sure i agree, based on the videos and bootlegs i've seen/listened to of the new songs, the crowd didn't exactly hate them, but they weren't as enthusiastic as they could have been if they were well known songs.

U2 want the next album to be full of hits, and i'm sure an aspect of that is for the audience to lap up the new songs a hell of a lot more so than they did with the NLOTH songs live, and to me that means releasing an album before a tour leg so that the crowd already knows (and hopefully loves) the new songs... from what i've seen, a small minority of the crowd is excited that they're playing something new, the rest of the audience is just waiting for them to play something they can sing along to.

I agree with you that their aim will be to make buzz for the album, and debuting them live would certainly help with that, but i just can't imagine them being received as enthusiastically as if they were already hits by the NA leg. If they want hits, youtube videos of people going wild at their concerts, singing along to every word of the new songs will be much better buzz than having most of the audience wait for 'pride' to be played...

There's something that flies in the face of all the "the tour will promote the album" folks... u2, and all acts really, make a shit load more by touring then they do with albums.

There's a reason why their biggest contact is with live nation, a production company, and not universal, the recording company.

this does work the other way too, though - to an extent. using the tour (the biggest cash cow) to promote a weaker resource is a smart business move, and it's 100% free marketing for it.

the flip side is obvious though - the people at the concerts are the people buying the new U2 CD to begin with.

If anything, just having a single out is buzz enough. They just want to be on the radio and I think they'll be releasing something, one-off single, album, not sure what, but something to go along with the summer tour.

Yeah, it could be easy to say it's just another guess to hold a place on a website, and I guess it's easy to guess a date, but the date makes it promising to me.

Amazon really doesn't bullshit. I believe this. However, I do believe it could also be delayed, but given that there's an actual date that's less than five months away, we're not too far away from when the printing of the physical albums/promotion would start kicking in.

Amazon were right about WAIE long befroe we even had a clue that the concept was being floated.

Agree with Bigmacphisto that there is always the possibility of a delay, but it is looking good.

I still won't be a true believer until I have the disc in my hand, but I can't help but get a little more excited at this news...

^ especially given the wording in the latest u2.com email - that the moncton show will be the last of THE NORTH AMERICAN leg, not the whole tour....

Im a pessimist, i truly believe that there will be no new U2 album before the tour ends.

I definitely think an album will come out before June.
U2 are still strongly rumored to play the Glastonbury festival and with an awesome song like Glastonbury it would be an awesome moment gone to not play that at the festival and the moment would be lessened if the masses couldn't sing along.

Amazon has me excited! :hyper:

I'm not so sure i agree, based on the videos and bootlegs i've seen/listened to of the new songs, the crowd didn't exactly hate them, but they weren't as enthusiastic as they could have been if they were well known songs.

U2 want the next album to be full of hits, and i'm sure an aspect of that is for the audience to lap up the new songs a hell of a lot more so than they did with the NLOTH songs live, and to me that means releasing an album before a tour leg so that the crowd already knows (and hopefully loves) the new songs... from what i've seen, a small minority of the crowd is excited that they're playing something new, the rest of the audience is just waiting for them to play something they can sing along to.

I don't think you're completely right here, I was at all the debuts songs next summer, of course nobody could sing them the first times, because nobody knew them, but Glastonbury was danced by almost everybody, Mercy was an old friend of most fans, so the GA was full of people singing the verses, North Star and Every Breaking Wave were acustic and nobody was to jump at those, we weren't waiting for them to finish, we were listening, which is quite important at a concert too, by the middle of the leg many people new the lyrics and sang along them, but of course, acustic songs means no jumping, North Star was sung by the whole stadium in Munich, finishing the song with the chorus being repeated by the crowd several times, the way we usually have ISHFWILF, I've only listened to BFFTS once, people aplauded warmly to it.
But it is not only that, if you weren't there, you can't imagine the flow of emotion that there was among the fans when the surprise part of the show started, it is the best present the band could have done to their fans, it was something indiscribable and we felt being part of something very especial and the band felt it too.

What happened to the occasional fan? nothing different from when they play The Unforgettable Fire or Ultraviolet, we may think that they are universally known, but they aren't, I was asked for their titles more than once.

This Amazon stuff is quite promising, however, didn't they also have 'Songs of Ascent' listed up there at some point last year, or was that just the HMV website?

On the chicken or the egg album/tour debate - U2 talk a good modern music industry talk, but they don't really walk that way. They've still got one foot firmly in the industry of days gone by. You know they still get tickled by a framed platinum album on the wall, sitting next to a bunch of Grammy awards, bookended on the other side by a framed copy of a Billboard chart highlighting a massive single or album chart success. Possibly in a room with wood paneled walls, with Paul McG sitting there in a pin striped suit, puffing on a cigar, the perfect picture of the big end of the music industry circa 1988.

Point being: as much as the modern reality is that tours trump albums and that tours don't need albums, and that albums possibly only see a marginal benefit from tours, it doesn't mean that U2 themselves aren't still quite attached to - or more comfortable with - that old school style of play.

CDs are being released in Germany and Austria on Friday. No Line on the Horizon was released on the 27th of February 2009 on amazon.de - Friday.

If it's bogus, they thought about that.

Yup, same in Holland. It seems accurate with McGuinness's late may release quote!

Yup, same in Holland. It seems accurate with McGuinness's late may release quote!

i seemed to have missed this quote. do you have the exact quote?

as far as the Amazon thing, i do agree with those saying that this is the best piece of "news" so far, but that it's not absolutely concrete either. Amazon has and protects such a good reputation that they wouldn't just randomly throw a date like that up....especially for a good artist. they would have had to have been given some kind of information from U2/Universal.

they would have had to have been given some kind of information from U2/Universal.

And they would. Retailers - the buyers/head offices anyway - would already know all about it, and would have done for some time. Maybe not the kind of info we want (title etc) but they would have likely had confirmation of a U2 release in May some time ago. And if its May, physical retailers would be finalising orders in February. The very biggest would probably hear a good chunk of it before then too, as part of the sales pitch. Especially after the 'disappointing' last effort from U2.

i seemed to have missed this quote. do you have the exact quote?

as far as the Amazon thing, i do agree with those saying that this is the best piece of "news" so far, but that it's not absolutely concrete either. Amazon has and protects such a good reputation that they wouldn't just randomly throw a date like that up....especially for a good artist. they would have had to have been given some kind of information from U2/Universal.

If I could remember where he said it... it was sometime fall last year when he did but I don't remember where. :scratch:

Oh wait, long live atU2
Amazon Germany Lists New U2 Album

oh cool. i've seen that quote then. forgot he mentioned May.

Earnie - great points about the back end stuff.

I don't think you're completely right here, I was at all the debuts songs next summer, of course nobody could sing them the first times, because nobody knew them, but Glastonbury was danced by almost everybody, Mercy was an old friend of most fans, so the GA was full of people singing the verses, North Star and Every Breaking Wave were acustic and nobody was to jump at those, we weren't waiting for them to finish, we were listening, which is quite important at a concert too, by the middle of the leg many people new the lyrics and sang along them, but of course, acustic songs means no jumping, North Star was sung by the whole stadium in Munich, finishing the song with the chorus being repeated by the crowd several times, the way we usually have ISHFWILF, I've only listened to BFFTS once, people aplauded warmly to it.
But it is not only that, if you weren't there, you can't imagine the flow of emotion that there was among the fans when the surprise part of the show started, it is the best present the band could have done to their fans, it was something indiscribable and we felt being part of something very especial and the band felt it too.

What happened to the occasional fan? nothing different from when they play The Unforgettable Fire or Ultraviolet, we may think that they are universally known, but they aren't, I was asked for their titles more than once.

Well, i'm happy to be proven wrong! :)
I still think it would be cooler if the crowd knew the new songs before the tour leg starts, but meh, maybe i'm under estimating the casual audience...

This is where Earnie will come into his element methinks. He knows all re industry procedures/backroom sort of thinking that we only really guess at.

I actually think that this news is only as strong as it is when coupled with Earnie's news re 'big' universal release around the same time, and the profile indicating that it wasn't gaga's album they were talking about.

Awesome news! However, isn't Lady Gaga's new album going to be released in late May? I can't see U2 releasing their album the same time Gaga does. Just sayin.

After all, Amazon didn't lie regarding WAIE. :yes:

(It was Amazon, right?)

I think your correct.

At least this gives us some hope, and hope isn't cheap these days :wave:

I would like to add, U2 would have a ton of hype with a :

-New album produced by Danger Mouse
-US Tour starting up again (return of Bono)
-Headlining Glastonbury

^^This is great promotion for a new album without force feeding the material, ala NLOTH promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom