New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we hear zippo by August, here's what will probably happen: they will maintain radio silence for the rest of the year. In March/April next year, we'll hear they are in the studio with -guess who - Monsieurs Eno and Lanois, with Lillywhite bringing up the rear. Album finally drops in late 2014/spring 2015. We'll then hear how things weren't working out with Danger Mouse, a la Rubin. Oh well :crack:

at which point Interference will slit its wrists :D

If we hear zippo by August, here's what will probably happen: they will maintain radio silence for the rest of the year. In March/April next year, we'll hear they are in the studio with -guess who - Monsieurs Eno and Lanois, with Lillywhite bringing up the rear. Album finally drops in late 2014/spring 2015. We'll then hear how things weren't working out with Danger Mouse, a la Rubin. Oh well :crack:

UGH! THIS has been my biggest fear all along and lemonfly you conveyed it to the word, this is definitely in the realm of possibilities. :|

It's certainly possible, but they've been working with danger mouse since (at least) summer 2010, so almost 3 years. I suspect that if it wasn't working with him, they'd probably know by now... hopefully...

^^^ This. Producers that have been jettisoned before (Chris Thomas, Nellee Hooper) were gone much earlier in the process. The fact that they've come back to DM on numerous occasions for different sessions means that they're open to going down different roads with him, and vice-versa.

I hate to sound overly optimistic, but it's really unlikely that nothing comes out this year.

This time around, I get the feeling that U2 are trying to be much more secretive and selective about what they say about the new album(s) and probably won't say a whole lot until it's time to start the press/hype/promotion machine. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if we hear very little until they announce the album and begin pre-release promotion. I think they are trying to avoid some of the missteps of promotion that occurred with NLOTH and Bono constantly talking up non-existent albums that never come out. Hence, almost nothing from Bono about the new Dangermouse album(s) and not much from anyone else.

What month did we learn with a high degree of certainty (not necessarily confirmed by the band though) that NLOTH would be out that year?

The album was announced by U2.com at December 2008.
We knew about a new album in 2009 about 2 or 3 weeks earlier than that.

What month did we learn with a high degree of certainty (not necessarily confirmed by the band though) that NLOTH would be out that year?

about a month and a half (roughly) before we heard Boots.

We have awhile to go before we hear any type of official announcements. Hype machine will roll in July/August. If they go super stealth, then Sept. Album in Oct/Nov. Laz is right. There's a higher chance than not (significantly) that we hear new U2 music this year.

And then, at long last, we can argue about something else.

This time around, I get the feeling that U2 are trying to be much more secretive and selective about what they say about the new album(s) and probably won't say a whole lot until it's time to start the press/hype/promotion machine. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if we hear very little until they announce the album and begin pre-release promotion. I think they are trying to avoid some of the missteps of promotion that occurred with NLOTH and Bono constantly talking up non-existent albums that never come out. Hence, almost nothing from Bono about the new Dangermouse album(s) and not much from anyone else.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this talk of silence rampant during the period leading up to NLOTH's release? It was silent for awhile, but as soon as the album was announced, the hype machine was at full throttle.

And wasn't everyone also talking about how NLOTH was going to be the next Achtung Baby?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this talk of silence rampant during the period leading up to NLOTH's release? It was silent for awhile, but as soon as the album was announced, the hype machine was at full throttle.

And wasn't everyone also talking about how NLOTH was going to be the next Achtung Baby?

I might be remembering this incorrectly, but i seem to recall learning of NLOTH's title and a few song names 6+ months before the actual album came out. I think quotes about a 'bold reinvention' came about well before the album was officially announced, and they were also very public with studio sessions, talking about being in morocco, and posting studio sessions on u2.com...

I seem to remember having a clear idea (not necessarily the right/accurate idea, but an idea) of what the album was going to sound like in the summer of 2008, and there certainly didn't seem to be any secrecy about what it would sound like compared to whatever they're doing with danger mouse!

NLOTH's making was so open that when i saw it's official announcement on u2.com, i wasn't surprised at all. Everyone already knew the album title, that it would be out in march... we had even already seen the morocco promo picture before! It was more of a confirmation than an announcement. I hope this time round there's more weight/surprise behind the official announcement.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is true. I would say I knew about the following song titles in the Summer of '08:

No Line On The Horizon (this was actually well known as long as a year before the album came out)

Moment Of Surrender

Sexy Boots (later retitled)

Cedars Of Lebanon

I'm pretty sure "Every Breaking Wave" was known about as well.

Keep in mind that we were expecting a fall 2008 release for most of the summer of 2008.

Last time out, I seem to remember quite a lot more talk about the album (NLOTH) from the U2 camp before we finally got it, comparable to what occurred with HTDAAB. Lots of talk about specific sessions with various producers and a lot more about song titles and even some "in the studio" clips of Larry recording drum parts. U2 hasn't really been doing nearly as much telling the fans what to expect with the next album this time. All we really know is Dangermouse is the main producer, the album has been in some state of production since 2010, and it may come out this year. They've been pretty quiet this time, especially Bono. Not much of a peep from him.

I might be remembering this incorrectly, but i seem to recall learning of NLOTH's title and a few song names 6+ months before the actual album came out. I think quotes about a 'bold reinvention' came about well before the album was officially announced, and they were also very public with studio sessions, talking about being in morocco, and posting studio sessions on u2.com...

I seem to remember having a clear idea (not necessarily the right/accurate idea, but an idea) of what the album was going to sound like in the summer of 2008, and there certainly didn't seem to be any secrecy about what it would sound like compared to whatever they're doing with danger mouse!

NLOTH's making was so open that when i saw it's official announcement on u2.com, i wasn't surprised at all. Everyone already knew the album title, that it would be out in march... we had even already seen the morocco promo picture before! It was more of a confirmation than an announcement. I hope this time round there's more weight/surprise behind the official announcement.

Definitely true. Great observations!

I can remember joining this site in January 2008 (wow, seems like yesterday, but looks long ago when you type it out) and hearing talk of "Sexy Boots," "Cedars of Lebanon" as well as an untitled clip from Morocco that was a chorus from "Unknown Caller." It changed a bit, but clearly recognizable when the song came out.

I also recall the talk, as early as the beginning of 2008, of a major transition, similar to JT/AB. That talk never really let up, all the way through the beach clips in the summer of 2008 and the album delay in the fall.

I think the beach clips were July or August- not certain as back then, I worked concert security 100 hrs/week in the summer and didn't pay as much attention to this board. At any rate, I remember listening to them in late August 2008.

Boots, Magnificent, Breathe and an early version of Crazy Tonight, at minimum, were well known to me from those clips by that time. I forget whether or not another version of the beach clips existed with more content, but I clearly remember AT LEAST that much.

Needless to say, by the time December 2008 rolled around, it was simply a confirmation. I was excited to see the official tracklisting, but literally nothing else was new.

As you pointed out, we'd been seeing the Morocco photo, complete with the guys in the same outfits, as early as winter 2008.

I'm very happy, as I think most here are, that they're taking the quiet road this time.

I defintely think, in terms of the U2.com clips, that they were far too open with elements of the song like the riff from Get On Your Boots or bits of Unknown Caller or Magnificent. When I heard the riff from Get On Your Boots and the hook from Stand Up Comedy I felt like they were going to be 70's-style rockers and I was quite surprised, for example, when I heard Get On Your Boots described as an 'electro rocker', I think, in Q. I think they just gave their hardcore fans the wrong perspective of what the songs were. They could have changed over time, sure, but I think they made a mistake in that area.

^The biggest mistake they did in your post was not handing over GOYB to Eno/Coldplay or dumping it in the trash or taking it out in a field and bashing into 100,000 pieces so it never had seen the light of day

Well, I saw Dallas Schoo at the 14th Street Guitar Center in Manhattan this morning, so maybe they're in New York doing stuff.

Or maybe Dallas was there to buy a fog machine.

Well, I saw Dallas Schoo at the 14th Street Guitar Center in Manhattan this morning, so maybe they're in New York doing stuff.

Or maybe Dallas was there to buy a fog machine.

Interesting.

All of them seemed to be in NY recently, Edge and Bono still are there, Larry was in Dublin some nights ago at a Rugby game, but it could be that they are working in NY.

On the other hand, maybe Dallas was just out buying a new guitar :wink:

Well, we were both walking in the entrance at the same time, and I held the door for him, and while I was doing so I recognized him. Then I went to look at guitars and he went over to the effects pedal area. When I made it over to that part of the store he was sitting by the cables and guitar straps.

Maybe Edge just needed a new strap, one of those that looks like a chain of bullets.

some random on atu2 claims to have inside info.

Album is finished! .my mate who works closely with them heard it last wk. Says it a Really different direction ,and is gonna shock a lot of people when they hear it. Dangermouse has produced it . And they will just sit on it over the summer .prob October by what ive heard.but don't be surprised to hear something sooner.

Who the hell doesn't?

Seriously....? :hmm:

Boots - my take (Album or Live):

four guys desperately trying to be/sound, I don't know Led Zeppish?, who in there wildest dreams couldn't hold a candle too. The song is beyond cringeworthy, it is possibly humiliating or even emberassing..... to think the band that wrote:
ASOH
TUF
Bad
All of JT and and all of Achtung Baby
and the list goes on and on could actually produce something so hideous is beyond me.... it is a steaming pile of dog sh:censored:t

but that's just my two cents we can agree to disagree?

On to other news looks like we might be finding out why there might not be a new album, Bono's busy destroying the world with Monsanto, so we got that going for us :hyper::hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom