New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After waiting for almost 7 years for an album with new songs I hope the next one is their last, so they can release everything they 've got on their shelves. Then we'll have new material each year.
If they continue the way they do then we'll have a new album in 2026 and the next in 2034. By that time their age is in the mid 70's and I sold my whole collection.

7 years and no touring because of Larry. At their age, is it possible they are using this time to queue up lots and lots of work so that when they can tour they don’t have to start another 5 year cycle for the next album? They would be 70 or thereabouts by that stage. There have been so many false start albums since 2006, they’d have the material. Just start pushing it out there guys, one massive world tour with a few albums dropped along the way, close out with SOA.

To be fair it wasn't all Larry's fault, unless you're insinuating that Larry had relations with a pangolin sometime in late 2019.

But I do think we're in the end game, at least as far as new music goes. I also think the next tour will be the last tour.

I don't think the next tour will be their last performance, though. I think Sphere has given them a lifeboat towards extending their ability to perform live.

Someone needs to find Edge a new pedal to play with. When's the last time a u2 song made you go "that's a cool guitar sound, how is he playing that" For me, it goes back to No Line. I remember watching the Letterman shows on youtube to see how Edge was playing those songs. And I didn't really like that album much, but there were cool sounds on it. As a bedroom guitar player, there used to be a large Edge guitar community online. Used to have a lot of fun trying to figure out what effects to use for songs. That really dried up after that album.

but what "darkness' are they supposed to tap into? the world's pretty fucking dark, so there's that. but on a personal level? what do you want them to do? oh, edge, i want you to put the Malibu chapter of the Sierra Club through your amplifier on this one!
"This is a mansion the Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning stole from the Edge - we're stealing it back."

To be fair it wasn't all Larry's fault, unless you're insinuating that Larry had relations with a pangolin sometime in late 2019.

But I do think we're in the end game, at least as far as new music goes. I also think the next tour will be the last tour.

I don't think the next tour will be their last performance, though. I think Sphere has given them a lifeboat towards extending their ability to perform live.
lol - no I’m not suggesting that. I mean that they probably were pushed back further than the otherwise would have been because of his surgeries - all of which seemed reasonable and necessary.

They have mentioned many times that they won't ever retire until one of them dies. I find it strange that in the next couple of months many of you will be voting for a man who's in his 80s who's showing the early signs of dementia to be in charge of the nuclear codes. I shall leave you to ponder that as I shall get to work.

the perfect pop song was already written, they don't need to try anymore:

YOU ARE
ROCK AND ROLL
YOU AND I ARE
ROCK AND ROLL
YOU ARE
ROCK AND ROLL
WE CAME HERE LOOKING FOR AMERICAN SOUL!
I see. Have you ever wondered what their fan base outside of America wants at all? American Soul was my least favourite song on SOE, and that and Lights Of Home were the only 2 songs that I disliked on an album which I have recently re-evaluated as well as a complete u-turn for me for No Line On The Horizon.

Let me tell you what's fair in life, absolutely nothing. If it was I'd be where I always wanted to be at my age and that be sipping drinks on Lake Madjorje. Instead I'm stuck here in this stuffy little office, in this stuffy little town on my birthday reading your comments whinging.

Rick Rubin and Spider-Man is what changed U2 (Bono and Edge) song writing direction.

I’m sure they lean into it a bit more with age as they don’t feel like noodling in the studio for days/weeks/months.

I’d love for them to go out by booking extended studio time and just jamming like they used to. Knowing it’s the last U2 record, no worries of HITS CHARTS POP KIDS, and see what comes out of four old men who’ve become family over 40+ years produces.

So Eno designing the stage and Danny joining them for One... Is there any hope that this is a sign of their involvement with the next albums in progress? I mean, they did allow the band to put Stand Up Comedy and Boots on an album, so they aren't perfect by any means. But it would be a nice way to round out their final recordings to have them at the helm.
Again they said that they will only stop one of them dies. Plus Paul McCartney still makes music. You don't know any such thing.
I see. Have you ever wondered what their fan base outside of America wants at all? American Soul was my least favourite song on SOE, and that and Lights Of Home were the only 2 songs that I disliked on an album which I have recently re-evaluated as well as a complete u-turn for me for No Line On The Horizon.

Let me tell you what's fair in life, absolutely nothing. If it was I'd be where I always wanted to be at my age and that be sipping drinks on Lake Madjorje. Instead I'm stuck here in this stuffy little office, in this stuffy little town on my birthday reading your comments whinging.
I meant Lake Maggiore living the sweet life but I can't edit this message.

They have mentioned many times that they won't ever retire until one of them dies. I find it strange that in the next couple of months many of you will be voting for a man who's in his 80s who's showing the early signs of dementia to be in charge of the nuclear codes. I shall leave you to ponder that as I shall get to work.

Codeword for 'I'm a MAGA CUCK'.

200w.gif

ever consider just not being miserable bro

Last edited:
How can you not be miserable in Joe Biden's America? Invasions at both borders!! A McDonald's Combo meal is $75 over DoorDash. And our President is palling around with his buddies in NYC!!!

Need a real leader who wins his own golf tourneys and now has his own shoe line!!!

Maybe Trump could finish U2's album this year???

WOW! U2 wants to wait until after the election to finish their album. When will the AMERICAN PEOPLE wake up and realize that U2 was NEVER GOOD. Where the Streets Have No Name is OVERRATED woke propaganda! The American People deserve BETTER.

Donald Trump is 77.

most Americans don't like American Soul either. I think this is another example of U2 -- despite spending a lot of their adult lives in America -- getting "what do Americans like" it totally wrong, culturally, like they did with the embarassing "American football" video for "stuck in a moment."

also, a commonality many MAGA have in common is a generalized disappointment in life, and especially in themselves. Trump has given them people to blame for their failures and inadequacies -- immigrants, DEI, liberals -- and I'd encourage you to not blame others for your failure to sip drinks on Lake Madjorje, and instead look inwards and begin healing. you're probably not as big a failure as you think you are. it can get better.

good luck!

Just to inject some reality. Biden is showing normal signs of aging. along with his regular speech that gets a little hung up from the stutter. Trump is showing genuine signs of dementia. Where Biden takes an extra second to recall a name or a word, or stumbles a bit and then restates the comment, Trump is mistaking people for completely other people, and continues on talking about them that way at length. Confusing the names of countries with people. He Has confused Biden with both Obama and Clinton probably a dozen times. Will start out with a statement, get a vacant look in his eyes, trail off and the realize he's lost, repeat it, or either play it off as a joke or switch to a different subject. This is a sign of dymentia. Oh! Also he's a fascist sociopath. But you know, it's those little differences that can push my vote one way or the other.

Also, I'm hoping we get some leaked info on the boys recording.

Just to inject some reality. Biden is showing normal signs of aging. along with his regular speech that gets a little hung up from the stutter. Trump is showing genuine signs of dementia. Where Biden takes an extra second to recall a name or a word, or stumbles a bit and then restates the comment, Trump is mistaking people for completely other people, and continues on talking about them that way at length. Confusing the names of countries with people. He Has confused Biden with both Obama and Clinton probably a dozen times. Will start out with a statement, get a vacant look in his eyes, trail off and the realize he's lost, repeat it, or either play it off as a joke or switch to a different subject. This is a sign of dymentia. Oh! Also he's a fascist sociopath. But you know, it's those little differences that can push my vote one way or the other.

absolutely, that's why I think he just got Trump's age wrong.

The alternative is a 77 year old who's trying to end democracy and has been shitting in a diaper for years. He's a convicted fraudster multiple times over, and has been found civilly liable for sexual assault. That's not to mention his many other allegations of sexual assault, or the fact that his ex wife, who he buried at his golf course btw, who said he raped her in her book.

Oh, with a family history of dementia. And who was the least qualified president in American history 8 years ago, and did nothing to not live up to that title in his four years on the job. But I digress.

I believe the majority of Americans would prefer younger, better options. But this is what we've got.

Alas - FYM is the place for this conversation, not here. So, like, do it there. People will engage.

Donald Trump is 77.
Not the only contradiction these cucks have.
The alternative is a 77 year old who's trying to end democracy and has been shitting in a diaper for years. He's a convicted fraudster multiple times over, and has been found civilly liable for sexual assault. That's not to mention his many other allegations of sexual assault, or the fact that his ex wife, who he buried at his golf course btw, who said he raped her in her book.

Oh, with a family history of dementia. And who was the least qualified president in American history 8 years ago, and did nothing to not live up to that title in his four years on the job. But I digress.

I believe the majority of Americans would prefer younger, better options. But this is what we've got.

Alas - FYM is the place for this conversation, not here. So, like, do it there. People will engage.
Yeah but what's rape and corruption compared to the real crime that is forgetting somebody's name?

Am I the only one who did not read any pro-Trump sentiment in Digital Spy's post? It's okay to bemoan the current state of our country without meaning you'd prefer the cartoon villain in charge of it instead.

I'm not voting for Trump, but I'm also disappointed that the only option we're left with is a similarly-doddering septuagenarian who's currently bankrolling a genocide.

Am I the only one who did not read any pro-Trump sentiment in Digital Spy's post? It's okay to bemoan the current state of our country without meaning you'd prefer the cartoon villain in charge of it instead.

I'm not voting for Trump, but I'm also disappointed that the only option we're left with is a similarly-doddering septuagenarian who's currently bankrolling a genocide.
I didn’t read overtly, but I’m not surprised that the tone and context was interpreted that way.

I find it interesting that Americans seem fixated on the ages of the candidates. Old people can be quite cogent and valuable. The issue in the country is the prevailing sentiment that puts them there. Sure there’s probably a strong crossover between people who like U2 and people who want social progress, but it has to be palatable to a divided and scared country that has believed its own “greatest country in the world” nonsense for far too long. There is a worldwide trend seeing alternative parties and green candidates - genuine progressives - getting elected in numbers big enough to make a difference. America is so divided that even if that happened, someone would just get shot or there’d be riots.

Both candidates are dumpster fires. Biden obviously the lesser of two evils, but you’re right, he’s funding a genocide and on progressive issues he is moribund. Maybe he’s all America can stomache in the age where Trump eroded the discourse to the point where picking a president is less sophisticated than supporting a sports team.

too much to unpack and this is not the place to do it, but what I see worldwide is the recent rise and success of right wing parties ... so I think we all have good reason to be concerned.

what progressive issues should Biden be more progressive on?

too much to unpack and this is not the place to do it, but what I see worldwide is the recent rise and success of right wing parties ... so I think we all have good reason to be concerned.

what progressive issues should Biden be more progressive on?
Last I will say on it because a question was asked then I’m done. Just that the standard for the American left is pretty centrist elsewhere. Even Biden’s healthcare stance is too far right for the right wing of other developed nations. Until someone can leave a hospital after a few days of treatment without a bill America will pale in comparison to many other developed nations. Education, environment, criminal justice reform. All things other democratic nations take as given are a struggle. Is it Biden’s fault? Absolutely not. Is he the revolutionary voice of progress in the face of mass misinformation and resistance? No.

Back
Top Bottom