New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I blame Trump for the middle 3 on both NLOTH and SOE. And for the Apple debacle.

Also, there's no such thing as the "lessor of 2 evils" in the American election this year.

Anyway......U2 songs still saying possible album late 2024. But could change.

As noted there, the album would apparently need to be completed by July, and I'm going to assume that's due to the ever-present lag in vinyl production.

Unless they were willing to not have the physical format ready by release day, as we saw with SOI.

They're done recording for the moment in Los Angeles, so if we don't start seeing reports of more recording soon in another location, I'd brace for a push to 2025. But if they are contacting tour crew members about 2025 availability, that's certainly a promising sign.

I blame Trump for the middle 3 on both NLOTH and SOE. And for the Apple debacle.

Also, there's no such thing as the "lessor of 2 evils" in the American election this year.
It was not a debacle. It was a good idea. Go and see the rte interview on YouTube. More people got to listen to SOI than the Joshua Tree. Everyone but America has forgotten about it even if it was a debacle. Digital spy which is the forum that I have named it after all said that it was a smart move by U2. Even none U2 fans on the forum dowoaded it and listened to the album. Most sensible people switch off automatic downloads as soon as they get a new phone anyway. Roger and Vicki did. Besides all musicians do auto downloads nowadays. Alicia Keys and Norah Jones did auto download for a few songs years before U2 did it with an album. App designers and video games developers also release via automatic downloads.

They wouldn't have been able to do the Joshua Tree tour or the Sphere without the apple auto download.

They agreed with Bono when he said that the music industry is broken. It brought them a new generation outside of America which I'm guessing that you don't like. They wouldn't have been able to go to India without it.

Digital spy are a great bunch of people. You lot are negative. I'm sure if U2 were part of the Doctor Who universe they would be treated more kindly by Whovians than the American fan base. That's something that I never thought I'd say 5 years ago.

It was not a debacle. It was a good idea. Go and see the rte interview on YouTube. More people got to listen to SOI than the Joshua Tree. Everyone but America has forgotten about it even if it was a debacle. Digital spy which is the forum that I have named it after all said that it was a smart move by U2. Even none U2 fans on the forum dowoaded it and listened to the album. Most sensible people switch off automatic downloads as soon as they get a new phone anyway. Roger and Vicki did. Besides all musicians do auto downloads nowadays. Alicia Keys and Norah Jones did auto download for a few songs years before U2 did it with an album. App designers and video games developers also release via automatic downloads.

They wouldn't have been able to do the Joshua Tree tour or the Sphere without the apple auto download.

They agreed with Bono when he said that the music industry is broken. It brought them a new generation outside of America which I'm guessing that you don't like. They wouldn't have been able to go to India without it.

Digital spy are a great bunch of people. You lot are negative. I'm sure if U2 were part of the Doctor Who universe they would be treated more kindly by Whovians than the American fan base. That's something that I never thought I'd say 5 years ago.
I'm trying to figure out if this is satire before I respond with counterpoints.

ok i'll bite.

no, it was not a good idea.

giving away the album for free? THAT was a good idea. and if they executed it the same way they gave away Invisible via the iTunes store just a few months earlier? then yea, that would have worked. and worked quite well.

the major difference between video games doing automatic downloads and what U2 did is that you have to actually buy the game to get the automatic download. they're not going to just plop GTA onto someone's XBox without asking. that's a small but rather important detail.

you're also making a mistake if you think everyone on these boards is american - or if you think that everyone outside of America has forgotten about the iTunes thing. that's just not true.

i have no idea what you're talking about with the whovians. i'm assuming it's some sort of Grinch fan fic. fah who foraze to you, too, i think.

ok i'll bite.

no, it was not a good idea.

giving away the album for free? THAT was a good idea. and if they executed it the same way they gave away Invisible via the iTunes store just a few months earlier? then yea, that would have worked. and worked quite well.

the major difference between video games doing automatic downloads and what U2 did is that you have to actually buy the game to get the automatic download. they're not going to just plop GTA onto someone's XBox without asking. that's a small but rather important detail.

you're also making a mistake if you think everyone on these boards is american - or if you think that everyone outside of America has forgotten about the iTunes thing. that's just not true.

i have no idea what you're talking about with the whovians. i'm assuming it's some sort of Grinch fan fic. fah who foraze to you, too, i think.
No you don't have to actually buy video games, apps or other albums that every musician does nowadays. n order to receive it. If you did then it wouldn't be an automatic downloads would it?

I didn't have to buy Norah Jones or Alicia Keys songs before my phones at the time already had the songs pre loaded and I couldn't delete them either. BTW I like both singers and do own cd albums of them.

Neither did I have to buy 3 different versions of Ottawan's great song D. I. S. C. O. 🤣 But it was already pre loaded on my phone 😂.

I'm afraid that Bono's ego grew 3 sizes the day they decided to have the album automatically download to iPhones with no ability to delete it.

Great news, about time Pop singles and b-sides were uploaded. Although I'm certain they had them all there about 10 years ago; is there some sampling issues going on with these that originally took them off (or maybe I've completely misremembered and they were never there).

For a band that likes to think they are contemporary though, they sure as hell are old fashioned and out of touch in making their music accessible. Even the fan club nonsense, if you've got material like that, just give it away for free on streaming. It's not like they need the money, and as much as Bono goes on about saying 'I don't believe in free music', it certainly won't hamper their legacy to keep giving us content.

I'm afraid that Bono's ego grew 3 sizes the day they decided to have the album automatically download to iPhones with no ability to delete it.

Now I feel as though that you are on a wind up mission. I do agree that Apple not Bono should have allowed people to delete anything straight away, but it's 100% not Bono’s fault. Apple did allow people to delete the album within a week but it was never U2's fault. Didn't he say that he was a technophobe, or am I mixing Bono up with another Doctor? I think that was a David Tennant quote.

most Americans don't like American Soul either. I think this is another example of U2 -- despite spending a lot of their adult lives in America -- getting "what do Americans like" it totally wrong, culturally, like they did with the embarassing "American football" video for "stuck in a moment."

also, a commonality many MAGA have in common is a generalized disappointment in life, and especially in themselves. Trump has given them people to blame for their failures and inadequacies -- immigrants, DEI, liberals -- and I'd encourage you to not blame others for your failure to sip drinks on Lake Madjorje, and instead look inwards and begin healing. you're probably not as big a failure as you think you are. it can get better.

good luck!

🤔. Bib. What are you talking about? Do you think I'm sort of racist bigot? Where have you got that impression? If you read my profile you'd realise that I'm a Brit living in in the north East of England.

As for the bit bellow, thank you.

Now I feel as though that you are on a wind up mission. I do agree that Apple not Bono should have allowed people to delete anything straight away, but it's 100% not Bono’s fault. Apple did allow people to delete the album within a week but it was never U2's fault. Didn't he say that he was a technophobe, or am I mixing Bono up with another Doctor? I think that was a David Tennant quote.
I really am on a wind up mission.

But yeah, I actually do agree that Apple was let off easy here. Though it was Bono who admitted that he was the one that really pushed the automatic downloads. My opinion before the book was that people were wrongly accusing U2 when the blame should have been on Apple, but changed my tune after the book came out.

Very hopeful this is the start of Pop getting a proper 30 year remaster/release/tour! I'm sure it won't since they don't seem to like their album (it's my favorite to be honest. Maybe not their best? But it has always occupied the #1 slot for me personally).

And on the flip side of that... fuck a $50 t-shirt. Jesus Christ.

All of the Las Vegas t shirts were/are at least $50. Most concert t shirts cost that much now. I think it's gross but that's the way it is.

I don't think we need 10 remixes of Discotheque either 🤷

It's nice they're finally getting all the singles and b-sides on streaming, but boy has it taken a long time. The limited-edition t-shirt is pretty nice. Merch is where bands make their money these days given how little physical music is sold so its the norm.

Remastered remixes of a song they couldn’t be bothered to play in the most fitting setting ever. Holy Joe shit.

I mean...they're just remastering all of their old singles and b-sides and making them regularly available. Not sure what the problem is. We all kind of win here.

No you don't have to actually buy video games, apps or other albums that every musician does nowadays. n order to receive it. If you did then it wouldn't be an automatic downloads would it?

I didn't have to buy Norah Jones or Alicia Keys songs before my phones at the time already had the songs pre loaded and I couldn't delete them either. BTW I like both singers and do own cd albums of them.

Neither did I have to buy 3 different versions of Ottawan's great song D. I. S. C. O. 🤣 But it was already pre loaded on my phone 😂.
i have no idea what you're talking about.

there's nothing on my XBox that i don't want.

sure - with Game Pass i can play things on the cloud that i don't own. but nothing downloads direct to my console unless i request it.

i can pre-load it - whether it's paid or free through game pass. but i have to physically do that. they don't just give me shit just because. that doesn't happen.

The single and remixes really take me back. I remember when it dropped and I immediately went to Borders Book store and bought it. Played it for my dad who was a diehard U2 fan until Pop....he was lukewarm to the single, and then never got into the album.

But I listened to those damn remixes every day until the album came out in March. Then recording all of their albums onto cassette so I could listen in the car.

Back
Top Bottom