New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given the shoot was all over social media, you'd have thought they might even begin teasing it on their own social media accounts with snippets of the song and some pics... or something... anything...

I think it will be the song that plays before they come out. Give Larry a little love on screen.

I really liked what I heard, can't wait to hear the actual version, but all I've had stuck in my head since the weekend is The Miracle of Joey Ramone since a few posters mentioned it in this thread.

Pretty catchy, could do well as a lead single if they don't screw up the promo for it.

But their article is also sitting on the fence as to whether the song is finished or not - mentions the "blah blah blah" lyric as being a bit of bongolese for something unfinished for example.

It’s most definitely a finished lyric. I wish “love is god and god is love” was bongolese. Hopefully this dud is just promotional fodder.

Hearing the bassier recording has led me to appreciate Adam’s work on this more. About halfway through 360 a penny dropped for him and he started playing some interesting fills on older songs like Streets, and his recorded output got much more interesting. That’s not to say he didn’t have great moments early, but I felt from the late 80s until 2010 or so there were very few moments where he stepped out of the boring root note formula.

This song has a nice shape to it for the bass. He’s never going to be Flea (and I don’t want him to be), but I love the shape to the verses and the breakdown has a nice bluesy walk to it.

Larry has a nice but simple bop going on, Edge is working back towards a riff away from arepeggios (this is somewhere in between). The solo is short but different. Bono doesn’t just stay in the monotone strain - the syncopation is trying something that adds texture and the post solo vocal breakdown is really cool.

So, I’m not saying it’s their best song, or even a really good one, but I am saying there is a lot here musically that points in a good direction in terms of composition and thought. Blind love or blind hate for it is really kind of missing the point. I tried to have a more balanced response to this because I have a real critical blind spot with U2, and I will reserve quality judgements until I hear what it sounds like recorded. But I just wanted to highlight a few of the things that make me cautiously optimistic for the next phase of song composition, regardless of genre.

Great song -- some great lyrics ---

I love when he says I believe "etc" just really long... or "have to be right one more time than you're wrong"

Great song -- some great lyrics ---

I love when he says I believe "etc" just really long... or "have to be right one more time than you're wrong"

I like the blah blah blah line.

I also want to know what the lyrics are after that. I’ve seen a few interpretations that seem wrong to me. It sounds like “Guitar; shaped bow with strings etcetera, Sinatra swings, a choir sings”.

I think that video gets the right/wrong line wrong.

I think it’s “In luck or in song you just have to be right one more time than you’re wrong”

I like the blah blah blah line.

I also want to know what the lyrics are after that. I’ve seen a few interpretations that seem wrong to me. It sounds like “Guitar; shaped bow with strings etcetera, Sinatra swings, a choir sings”.

I think you nailed it

B&E still want to be pop songsmiths, but here they’re aiming for a different decade.

Bono is *still* overwriting - the simplicity of a Wild Honey eludes him - but the rest is inoffensive.

I like the vocal harmony break before the guitar solo. Want to hear the clean studio version of that.

I don't get too hung up on songs that sound the same as so many songs sound the same as only so many words and chords... and it was on purpose as they mentioned Blondie...

There are so many songs I hear and I'm like isn't that a Beatles or U2 songs... and it's not, but it feels like it and in other words, youll go crazy if you don't go crazy tonight if you think about pop songs too much maybe having similar sounds or parts.

Sometimes it is annoying for sure, but it's usually when you know a song so well.

I remember seeing Hamilton for the first time and the music was so amazing, but the 2 King George songs I swore I heard before because it sounded familiar, but it was on purpose to sound like a 70s ballad to me, so of course it sounded like I already knew it.

Given I haven’t seen any interpretation of the lyrics that nails it, here’s my attempt:

Come all you stars falling out of the sky
Come all you angels forgetting to fly
Come all who feel we’re not on our own
All UFOs come on your way home

Alone, that’s no way to be carrying on
Come on, you’re betting on a future that’s long gone
In luck or in song you just have to be right one more time than you’re wrong

Atomic city (atomic)
Atomic city (atomic)

I’m free
Where you are is where I’ll be
I’m free
So unexpectedly

Come all who serve above and below
Come all believers and all who don’t know
Come quick come soon comme ci comme ca
Then dive into your eyes and blah blah blah

Guitar; shaped bow with strings etcetera,
Sinatra swing, a choir sings
Love is God and God is love
And if your dreams don’t scare you they’re not big enough

Atomic city (atomic)
Atomic city
Atomic sun for everyone
For everyone

A kiss of the dice
?? roulette
The wheel has not stopped spinning yet

I’m free
Where you are is where I’ll be
I’m free
So unexpectedly

I’m free
I fear what’s in front of me
And your freedom is contagious
What you got I wanna be

I’m free
It took me my whole life
I got the keys to the cages
I’m waiting for bright lights

I’m free
I came here for the fight
I’m front row in Las Vegas
And there’s a big one on tonight

Last edited:
I’m only struggling with the words before roulette. I’ve seen others write “that’s roulette”.

It sounds similar but I think there’s another syllable or two and it doesn’t quite make sense.

Last edited:
B&E still want to be pop songsmiths, but here they’re aiming for a different decade.

Bono is *still* overwriting - the simplicity of a Wild Honey eludes him - but the rest is inoffensive.

I like the vocal harmony break before the guitar solo. Want to hear the clean studio version of that.

Wild Honey is what you want more of? You crazy, man. You crazy.

I’m hearing “guitar-shaped pool”

I don’t have a problem with 95% of the lyrics. The only one I dislike is the “if your dreams don’t scare you” line. Too lame and cringe for me. Otherwise, cool song. Excited to hear more.

Wild Honey is what you want more of? You crazy, man. You crazy.

It’s a simple pop song, but it stays simple. Bono isn’t writing like he’s being paid to fill in the margins with platitudes and pseudo-clever turns of phrase.

It’s a simple pop song, but it stays simple. Bono isn’t writing like he’s being paid to fill in the margins with platitudes and pseudo-clever turns of phrase.
We all know Bono's inspiration for the lyric

winnie-the-pooh-honey.gif

That version is much better. Actually being able to hear the guitar helps a lot.

Shocking, I know.

It is wordy, but they don’t feel too forced, at least on first listen. It’s got a nice swing to it that makes it better than it’s spiritual cousin Glastonbury.

They do pack a lot into a song. As lazy as we all know they are, they sound like they work really hard on these things. To death, even.

That version is much better. Actually being able to hear the guitar helps a lot.

Shocking, I know.

It is wordy, but they don’t feel too forced, at least on first listen. It’s got a nice swing to it that makes it better than it’s spiritual cousin Glastonbury.

They do pack a lot into a song. As lazy as we all know they are, they sound like they work really hard on these things. To death, even.

There’s definitely something to this and 40 foot man sounding a bit less up tight, lifeless and robotic with a shorter gestation.

Leaving aside whether people “like” the song, or the sound, genre etc - it’s hard to construct an argument that certain aspects of this don’t represent progress away from the habits that have killed enthusiasm for the last few records.

40 Ft Man was a nice flash of inspiration. A folksier (read: Irish) slice of classic pop.

Back
Top Bottom