New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed. Though SOI was actually mixed pretty well overall.

Been forever since I’ve listened to it. Actually listened to SOE the other day and that’s probably why the LOUD NOISES popped into head

Even tho i adore their work with Danny / Eno, I’ve always felt the mix is so soft. All members were mixed appropriately tho.

I consider Pop to be Edge’s best album in that he had so much creativity and it was definitely showcased. And Adam.

I mean, it’s no Glastonbury :sexywink:

The lads are sounding on great form, some very funky bass runs and loving the guitar work.

Yes, there’s a nice retro feel and vibe to it. Goose bumps when I started to watch that.

Given this will be all over the internet and is already out there, you’d hope for a single release asap with lyric video and the proper one to come before the Sphere.

And Larry is drumming again which I think we’d all kind of figured out, so 2024 new album and tour?

I'll reserve full judgement until I hear the proper recording - but man it was so great seeing Larry back with the band! This is the first time they'd played together since 2019, right?

Based on this being recorded mere weeks before the Sphere shows (and still not finished according to Bono :lol: ), plus the direct references to Vegas in the lyrics makes me feel pretty certain this is a standalone single written for the shows rather than a lead single/start of an album cycle, and likely could have been written entirely separately, with a different sound/style/direction to the actual album(s) they're working on - as opposed to an indication of what comes next.

I do have to say, I can't hear any 'unreasonable guitar'; other than the solo it's pretty much the same arpeggiated guitar chords as usual. Maybe the fuck off rock n roll comes later, with the next album. Or maybe it's my fault for believing the guy who described HTDAAB as "punk rock from Venus" :lol:

Cool. Not going to explode with excitement on that. Obviously playback with Bono singing over it so sound wasn’t great. Some positives in the vibe and the little solo. Some cheese in the lyrics though. Liked the chorus hook. Good to see Larry, hoping this is a one off, throwaway song for the Sphere and there is a new album in March that is a bit more… cerebral.

Cool. Not going to explode with excitement on that. Obviously playback with Bono singing over it so sound wasn’t great. Some positives in the vibe and the little solo. Some cheese in the lyrics though. Liked the chorus hook. Good to see Larry, hoping this is a one off, throwaway song for the Sphere and there is a new album in March that is a bit more… cerebral.

Yeah, this is my initial take too. If they were going for a clash-inspired, fun throwaway single, then they succeeded, I guess? But it's not the kind of sound I can personally get very excited about. I'm open to a heavier, classic rock sound, but I think they can do way better than this. It seems to almost deliberately lack the atmosphere and stadium energy that makes the band special, like they're actively trying to sound like a garage band (again, I'll reserve judgement until hearing the actual recording!).

The vocal hook is pretty decent, but the guitar riff feels surprisingly underwhelming, especially after all this talk from Bono about making a guitar-based album.

Based on the context, I suspect (and frankly kind of hope) this has little to do with the next album. The recent studio sessions with Lillywhite suggest this could have been cobbled together independently of album recording.

And they're likely reserving their best material for the lead single/album, after all.

40 Foot Man is better. Proof that quick and dirty but inspired is the way to go.

I’ve said it before - the EBW from the doco and 40 foot man are the best they’ve sounded in years.

Compared to YSSML this is a classic,sounds good to me. Catchy vocal and seems like cool bass and guitar. Want to here it properly first before making total judgement.

Back
Top Bottom