New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My biggest complaint with that song is that they never explained how to Control-Alt-Delete.

I often wonder what the fuck were they thinking when they finalized the recording of Unknown Caller. Musically one of the best songs they’ve created in the modern era completely wasted.

Song works fine for me. A little weird and certainly a touch clunky but sustains a mood, as does most of that album. The French horn, church organ and guitar solo have more sonic richness than anything on the albums that have followed.

Does anyone know where in the forum I can find that genius post from years ago where a poster wrote the entirety of Unknown Caller out in computer code, only to throw it all in the trash at the end? That was some hilarious shit. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.u2songs.com/news/rehear...sinRmCiJn_hUikXACRBiyW6__z2EB2noXLPyC-7uBU0gQ

"U2 have arrived in Las Vegas, and rehearsals have taken place over the last two nights at the Sphere. Many of the crew have been in Las Vegas for a few weeks, but more recently, many of the rest arrived over the weekend. The band’s first rehearsals were on Tuesday the 5th.

Other familiar faces are around Las Vegas as well, with family of the band being spotted. Longtime producer Steve Lillywhite is also in Vegas with U2. Lillywhite has recently been working in studio with the band in the South of France in recent weeks."

..bring in the closer. I've heard rumblings that they're prepping an album - god knows if that's a fall album, or 2025. You'll recall Lillywhite was brought into SOE sessions to finalize arrangements and capture some full band recordings near the end

Last edited:
https://www.u2songs.com/news/rehear...sinRmCiJn_hUikXACRBiyW6__z2EB2noXLPyC-7uBU0gQ

"U2 have arrived in Las Vegas, and rehearsals have taken place over the last two nights at the Sphere. Many of the crew have been in Las Vegas for a few weeks, but more recently, many of the rest arrived over the weekend. The band’s first rehearsals were on Tuesday the 5th.

Other familiar faces are around Las Vegas as well, with family of the band being spotted. Longtime producer Steve Lillywhite is also in Vegas with U2. Lillywhite has recently been working in studio with the band in the South of France in recent weeks."

..bring in the closer. I've heard rumblings that they're prepping an album - god knows if that's a fall album, or 2025. You'll recall Lillywhite was brought into SOE sessions to capture some full band recordings near the end
And by band do they mean Larry aswell?

they'd be so dumb to do this if it's not with Larry. Maybe Larry's cleared for occasional recordings, just not nightly touring rigors?

Or maybe it's stuff that's pretty much already finished that they've been sitting on.

If there's anything new coming out.. I'd put money on this. Maybe they have him sorting through everything they've recorded over the last 5 years, pulling out an album's worth of material

If there's anything new coming out.. I'd put money on this. Maybe they have him sorting through everything they've recorded over the last 5 years, pulling out an album's worth of material
Maybe,but all this talk of a "guitar" album started recently. So would they have recordings of that going back years?

They probably have all the drum parts they need, or maybe he's at least in good enough health to where he can add a couple short tracks. Huge difference between adding a couple tracks in the studio and playing several 2 hour sets.

Maybe,but all this talk of a "guitar" album started recently. So would they have recordings of that going back years?

The talk of the guitar album came up when Bono was promoting Stories of Surrender, but he talked about wanting to make a "straightforward-fuck-off-rock-and-roll" album way back in 2019. So the idea isn't really that new, it just got reignited recently.

Between rumours of a nearly complete album last year, coupled with the pandemic lockdowns and now Larry's surgeries, not to mention 6 years since the last (proper) album? I'd put my money on them having something almost ready to go, but waiting until they're sure they can promote and tour it.

They probably are sitting on enough material for multiple albums (in various stages of completion naturally). I would guess that Bono's comments on a "guitar" album are probably about focusing on that material that they have that already is rock heavy, and reworking it in a way that fits that mould more.

..bring in the closer. I've heard rumblings that they're prepping an album - god knows if that's a fall album, or 2025. You'll recall Lillywhite was brought into SOE sessions to finalize arrangements and capture some full band recordings near the end

Thanks for posting this, I saw the Lillywhite comment posted somewhere else without any context or date, so this also ties-in with something else about them being in France and working on music.

Honestly, at this point, who the hell knows what the plans are - if we knew what Larry's current health & recovery situation was then we could probably start to piece something together but without knowing that....

I'll make an optimistic guess that they were working on finishing off an album - that Larry is fine for studio drumming and they want to have something to go for release and tour next year. Bram will have done a fair bit of rehearsing with Adam in particular earlier in the year meaning they can now focus on the final full band rehearsals.

Given their recent singles, I'm not holding my breath for something decent. Ahimsa and Your Song Saved My Life are just atrocious.

And given the protracted nature of the development of this 'single', it will probably be another overwrought, overthought, uninspired affair.

Back
Top Bottom