New 18 Minute Beachclips Continued!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Room said:

I agree with this part of your post. I think they are demos at this point anyway. What is funny is after I listened to them and hearing 409 I thought, oh, they are farther along than I thought with recording because of that clip. Then we find out 409 isnt even theirs! :laugh: Absolutely hilarious!

Actually I think 402 could easily be in the top 3 songs that U2 has released since 2000, even in its current form.

And I haven't seen it discussed yet but 409 sounds like a duet to me! Listen around the 1 minute mark (see my enhanced version). The one on youtube(a few years old) has only one singer. But there are 2 voices around the 1 minute mark (i.e. backing vocals), and the lead voice at that point sounds very Bono-like to me.

Last edited:
Yahweh said:
Maybe Ill be the only one that goes out and buys the next album and I can have it all to myself and have the blue crack board all to myself too and all the people that have done nothing but critique U2 go away forever and live their happy lives saying "I used to like U2 but now they suck", much like I hear a lot on the street these days. It would be a dream come true to get rid of these loudmouths and let U2 become the underground band that they might not want to be but would suceed at being very well ;)

you and I can dream...:wink:

hhahahaha there is now way U2 could ever become an underground band, even if their next album was TERRIBLE and got ripped apart by critics and fans alike, they would still sell-out their tour I bet. because the people that complain about how much U2 sucks these days are the ones first in line for show tickets, funnily enough...

doctorwho said:

:down:

I admit it - I'm not impressed by these clips at all.

Forget the quality - this is about what I can hear of the actual songs.

For me, HTDAAB was a definite advancement from ATYCLB. Songs like "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars" and even "Vertigo" took HTDAAB to places ATYCLB couldn't or didn't go. And this was good - it was a natural progression and gave me great hope for the third album in this mix. "Bomb" still kept some of the softer moments that dominated ATYCLB (and where it excelled), but "Bomb" also pushed more boundaries and was a bit "braver".

In contrast, based on these clips, I hear more of a regression, than progression. I hear more ATYCLB rather than a step up from "Bomb". It seems U2 is swimming back into safer waters.

I hope these clips are just that - experimental clips of a work in progress. But if this is the sound of the new U2 album, perhaps, for the first time ever, I might actually be disappointed in new U2.

I agree this (in particular 400 and verses of 404) sounds more like ATYCLB and all songs are very melodic. Definitely a lot less of the 80's chiming sounds than Bomb.
I personally don't mind that as I felt they didn't push up the whole "pop" direction enough on ATYCLB.

That said, I thought 402 sounds like something fresh, it could go well with Mercy if it's coming up on this next album. It has the most potential next to 404 aka All my life.

It's hard to say how far along they are: on one hand there are obvious demos/early stages like 400 and Thank you, and on the other hand there are full band songs like 402 and 404 with a clearer structure.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

For me, HTDAAB was a definite advancement from ATYCLB.

Well, that's all well and funny, nonetheless......
To compare either of them to these crap versions of early, rough demos, I don't know.....maybe you are one of those daft guys who thinks The Joshua Tree sucks.

oh yeah, here ya go:
:wink:

400 is a major grower. Anyone else think so too?
And is it just me or are there strings (cello?) from 2:02 till 2:22 in this song?

Last edited:
400 sounds like a rough demo at best - the song is way too wordy.

That falsetto chorus line "Oh can you see (feel?)..." is repeated 12 times (3 times 4) in the first 3 minutes, and 16 times (4 times 4) if you count the next line. That wears me out.

Last edited:
402 is by far the best of this bunch of songs. The melodys in this song are some of a best we've heard from Bono in recent years. Plus, you gotta love that guitar riff. Very Dirt-Day-esque, and it's got that great solo that reminds me of something from the original Sonic the Hedgehog game. :drool:

This is a funny thread. All the numbers remind me of ordering in a chinese restaurant. So far, I couldn't make out much of the lyrics, but I'd say it's mostly improvisation. I believe it's nothing near being finished. Strangely, "All my live" and "Thank you" keep playing in my head.

Lancemc said:
402 is by far the best of this bunch of songs. The melodys in this song are some of a best we've heard from Bono in recent years. Plus, you gotta love that guitar riff. Very Dirt-Day-esque, and it's got that great solo that reminds me of something from the original Sonic the Hedgehog game. :drool:

:lmao: I love how people are comparing this to Sonic!! or maybe you were the only one and you said it before :wink: I totally get where you're coming from though

400 and 403 are growers but I've really grown to love them both, though I still feel the strongest are 402 and 404.

I hope U2 keeps these 400 names.

AtomicBono said:

:lmao: I love how people are comparing this to Sonic!! or maybe you were the only one and you said it before :wink: I totally get where you're coming from though

400 and 403 are growers but I've really grown to love them both, though I still feel the strongest are 402 and 404.

How very Sigur Ros like :shrug::wink:

ntalwar said:
400 sounds like a rough demo at best - the song is way too wordy.

That falsetto chorus line "Oh can you see (feel?)..." is repeated 12 times (3 times 4) in the first 3 minutes, and 16 times (4 times 4) if you count the next line. That wears me out.

It's not "Oh can you see/feel...", it's:

"Oh can you kneel"
:lol:

AtomicBono said:

Yeah, I think I may have mentioned that before. :|

But yeah, I really hope an album comes from these songs. They sound thematically along the lines of ATYCLB, really inspirational stuff. I know MOST people here would disagree with me, but I'd love another ATYCLB-like album. Not the same sound of course, but something of the same quality and theme. Another Walk On and Beautiful Day = :drool:

waynetravis said:
does Bono or someone say Arcade Fire at the end of 400?

:yes: Good catch. Right at 3:47 or so someone says "...The Arcade Fire". I personally think it's "We're the Arcade Fire".

Last edited:
Wow, that is a good catch! It definitely does sound like "We're the Arcade Fire." I can't quite decide if it's Bono saying it on the recording itself, or if he's saying it out loud over top the recording to whomever he's playing it for. It kind of sounds like it could be on the recording, but it also sounds much clearer than the recorded vocals. If Bono and crew were really on his terrace listening to a cd (if this is true: http://scatterolight.blogspot.com/2006/07/more-u2-beach-recordings.html), then maybe he was saying it to his terrace-audience as a joke or something. There's a girl's voice at the end...maybe she's someone with him laughing in response, or maybe it's just a girl on the beach caught on the tape. :shrug:

Utoo said:
then maybe he was saying it to his terrace-audience as a joke or something. There's a girl's voice at the end...maybe she's someone with him laughing in response, or maybe it's just a girl on the beach caught on the tape. :shrug:

The male voice speaking at the end(is it even Bono?) has reverb - the girl's voice is from the beach. One possibility would be that 400 and 409 are collaborations. If they can collaborate with MJB, why not collaborate with their close friends.

U2DMfan said:

Well, that's all well and funny, nonetheless......
To compare either of them to these crap versions of early, rough demos, I don't know.....maybe you are one of those daft guys who thinks The Joshua Tree sucks.

oh yeah, here ya go:
:wink:

Ah, be carefule now, winky boy.

I think JT is great. I feel it's the best album of 1987 and one of the best of the 80's.

However, it has plenty of weaknesses and is overly praised by fans. I also feel annoyed by those that loved JT, but can't accept anything else U2 has done. I'm further perplexed by those that loved JT, but can't tolerate ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

JT has weaknesses - all of U2's albums do.

But must I stress again that based on these VERY EARLY OCEAN RECORDED versions of these songs, I'm not impressed. I fully acknowledge that what I'm hearing may change considerably. In fact, perhaps hearing the real studio recording of the exact same song may change my views. But even if I try to remove the background noise, I'm not hearing any advancement here. 409 has been proven not to be U2 - so that's gone. Of the rest, they sound either very U2 or outright boring ("Thank You"). ATYCLB was great - a fantastic departure from the 90's U2. HTDAAB seemed to advance on that sound, make it harsher and darker, while still keeping some of those softer elements that shined on ATYCLB. So I expect any future album to advance even further. R&H advance on JT. "Zooropa" advanced on AB. But so far, I'm not hearing this advancement - more of a full out regression.

If indeed this is the sound of the album, while I'll still happily buy it and probably still enjoy it, it may be the first time in ever that I might actually be disappointed in new U2. And I say this fully aware that we are hearing but a few songs. Other songs may truly shine. Heck, the songs we are hearing might not even make it on the album!

So there. Happy. Good. Now, back to me hating JT. :sexywink:

I think 404 has elements that only a few classic U2 songs have. It is the closest U2 has come to writing a true classic (ie, in the vein of 'Pride', 'Stay', 'One', etc) in a very long time, probably since 1993. Since then, only 'Kite' and 'Miss Sarajevo' have come close, especially the latter. Some argue 'Walk On', but it doesn't quite get there IMO, despite it being a great song. 'Original of the Species' could have been, if it were just piano and presented in a starker form.

But 404, with Edge harmonizing OVER the magnificent chorus around the 2:40 mark, and then playing with it, allowing it to meander around the melody before jumping into the most galloping solo of his career...and marrying it with those drums to create a feeling not heard since The Beatles...WOW....I cannot wait to hear Adam and the song in its full glory. It's pure joy.

The only thing I wonder is, are these ALL (except for 'Thank You') cover songs? Even 402 sounds oddly familiar. Can't figure it out though. Morrisey? The Cure? There's a melody there I've heard before. U2 are very good lately at giving you the feeling you have heard a brand new song before in a previous life. Like it was a classic song they removed from history, and suddenly replanted it in the present to create a sort of deja vu, en masse.

I am just glad about one thing........THE BAND IS STILL WRITING!......I am always skeptical about Bono's excitement about new songs and new albums but I finally believe that there is some truth to his new music babbling. I like that Bono is letting others hear what the band is working on,...this means he is probably excited too. However, I am not going to get excited about a new album...we would have heard more about it by now...producers, etc. Maybe the single could be true, but I will be excited when the tour is over. (I am happy for our friends below the equator, they deserve some live fun)

Michael Griffiths said:
The only thing I wonder is, are these ALL (except for 'Thank You') cover songs? Even 402 sounds oddly familiar. Can't figure it out though. Morrisey? The Cure? There's a melody there I've heard before. U2 are very good lately at giving you the feeling you have heard a brand new song before in a previous life. Like it was a classic song they removed from history, and suddenly replanted it in the present to create a sort of deja vu, en masse.

I have the same feeling. Even 'Thank You' is driving med crazy. I keep hearing a 'Mark Knopfler like' intro to this song in my head instead of the piano. But I can't seem to figure out what it is.

404, the chorus is close to the Bee Gees 'Gotta Get A Message To You'. No doubt about that. I like the Beatlesque verse, the melody here sounds original. But they will have to work with the structure of the song. It sounds too sixties, too close to the Bee Gees. I'm afraid the critics are gonna lynch them!

It could work if they kicked it around a bit like they did Vertigo. You could clearly hear a similarity with 'You Keep Me Hanging On', but it didn't matter. because in Vertigo the melody took on it's own life and you forgot about it.

ntalwar said:

The male voice speaking at the end(is it even Bono?) has reverb - the girl's voice is from the beach. One possibility would be that 400 and 409 are collaborations..

I'm wondering if 400 might possibly be a U2/Bono/Arcade Fire collaboration for the new Ian Curtis film coming out next year. From what I've read, Anton Corbijn is directing this, and he's supposedly a great admirer of The Arcade Fire.

angelordevil said:

I'm wondering if 400 might possibly be a U2/Bono/Arcade Fire collaboration for the new Ian Curtis film coming out next year. From what I've read, Anton Corbijn is directing this, and he's supposedly a great admirer of The Arcade Fire.

:hmm:

I do hear something like a violin in that song.

angelordevil said:

I'm wondering if 400 might possibly be a U2/Bono/Arcade Fire collaboration for the new Ian Curtis film coming out next year.

Arcade Fire is also in the studio for their next album.

we were in Nice two weeks ago, and we went to Eze. We were there when they played these songs... it was amazing. we saw Adam, Edge, Bono, all of their kids, Ali, Morleigh and Suzan and Bono's dog as well ))

we didn't want to take photos about them, because they had holiday there...and the kids were everywhere...you can understand...we didn't want to be ugly fans....

we made only a few picture when there was no kid and no wife around them
We took a picture of Adam, when he was standig with his back to us and we took one about Edge on the day when they were playing the new songs. And we have one about Bono but it's quite bad.

Anyway it was amazing...
Bono and Edge had some guests (The Strokes and some of their friends) and they had dinner on the terrace. Edge looked down and checked how many people are under the terrace then he went back and a few minutes later "the boys played rock & roll"

there were ~10 people on the beach front of the house and they exactly knew that some of them were fans and not simple sunbather...(some of them wore one camapign's wristband) so I think they're getting great PR and some good feedback for free.

eze1.jpg

eze2.jpg

Last edited:
zsuzso said:
we were in Nice two weeks ago, and we went to Eze. We were there when they played these songs... it was amazing. we saw Adam, Edge, Bono, all of their kids, Ali, Morleigh and Suzan and Bono's dog as well ))

we didn't want to take photos about them, because they had holiday there...and the kids were everywhere...you can understand...we didn't want to be ugly fans....

we made only a few picture when there was no kid and no wife around them
We took a picture of Adam, when he was standig with his back to us and we took one about Edge on the day when they were playing the new songs. And we have one about Bono but it's quite bad.

Anyway it was amazing...
Bono and Edge had some guests (The Strokes and some of their friends) and they had dinner on the terrace. Edge looked down and checked how many people are under the terrace then he went back and a few minutes later "the boys played rock & roll"

there were ~10 people on the beach front of the house and they exactly knew that some of them were fans and not simple sunbather...(some of them wore one camapign's wristband) so I think they're getting great PR and some good feedback for free.

eze1.jpg

eze2.jpg

Whoah!! :shocked:

So fill us in.... I have a few questions! :wink:

1). What do you mean by they "played rock & roll?" Did they play these songs live? A few of them sound like they're recordings, like they were playing a cd to show off some new stuff to someone (i.e., the visiting Strokes). What exactly was going on? My guess is that it was a cd that was played, if Edge looked over the balcony to see who was there & then a few minutes later all the songs came...:hmm:

2). Also, how about this '409' song that is a Strokes song-----was that a cd that was played? Was it both bands playing it live? Is U2 on it at all, or just the Strokes?

3). Did they play anything more than just the 4-5 songs we've heard so far?

Thanks so much for the info!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom