New 18 Minute Beachclips Continued!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hahah
all my life i've been waiting for
for this love i'm feeling lord
all my life i've been waiting for
this moment i'm in
this moment i'm in

lovely lyrics, but lol, i can just see the headlines now: "U2 finally finds what they're looking for"
xP

bono is dumb, he sings about the moment he's been waiting his whole life for and then complains about being stuck in it! :wink:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

The clips at U2Exit are samples of the full Beach Clips. The files we got from U2Achtung (see the link in the first page of the thread) are the full songs, and they still have the filenames the device they were recorded on gave them: 400, 402, 403, 404, 409.

400 is the song from the original 16 second YouTube link (and also the shortest clip at the end of the 9 minute U2Exit clip, I think?)

402 is the first song on the U2Exit Clip, 403 is the second one (the Thank You one), 404 is the third one.

409 (most everyone's favourite) appears to be Bono singing a psuedo-unreleased song by The Strokes.

Incidentally, it really amuses me that the fan favourite turned out to NOT be original U2 (especially considering my favourite was always 402) :wink:
The whole thing kind of made me want to get an empty Formula 409 bottle, set it on fire, and take a photo of it's charred remains. Seems like a sort of representation of what happened here :wink:

Thank you for clearing that up. So when dad fixes MY BLOODY SOUND CARD!!!!!!!!!!! I can download them from u2achtung?

Nice to see mostly positive reactions. Maybe there won't be 375972365827365 threads bashing the latest album :D

Third rating of new songs:

1. I Believe (402, single)
2. All My Life (404, single-worthy but needs some extra work)
3. Can't You See (400, nice Beatles-esque song)
4. Thank You (403, please drop this song boys)

Song 409 - if it really is a u2 song - can take the second place, very much potential.

And of course there's Mercy. Think I'm gonna call it 401. I guess this one would top the list.

COBL_04 said:
Thank you for clearing that up. So when dad fixes MY BLOODY SOUND CARD!!!!!!!!!!! I can download them from u2achtung?

Nice to see mostly positive reactions. Maybe there won't be 375972365827365 threads bashing the latest album :D
You're welcome, but I would suggest just downloading them from the link in the first post of this thread. Unless you're really good at French. From what I understand, U2Achtung didn't want to share the clips with us in the first place.

As long as they don't overproduce the hell out of the next album, and pepper it with knees, then we might be okay.

402 & 404 are superb

If they're like this, and clearly they're not at completion, we're looking at a stonkingly good album.

I wanna hear a couple of really rocky tracks as well.

BANZAI said:

:yes:

"I Believe" is destined to be a classic.
"All My Life" is too wordy and needs a better guitar solo. The solo sounds like an improvised filler at the moment. But it has good potential.

i agree with whoever said that 402 is Brit pop-ish, its almost Oasis style, its brilliant.

and i really, really like 404, but its just the guitar solo that comes out of nowhere, it sounds a bit out of place with the rest of the song. but the ending "ooh ohhs" make up for it.

400, i think, could be the dark horse song.
so far, for me, its got the least plays, but i feel it may get more playtime when/if it gets reworked.

the Thank You song, i like it, but its the worst out of the 5.

whatever happens, this new album is going to be incredible :drool:

BANZAI said:

3. Can't You See (400, nice Beatles-esque song)
4. Thank You (403, please drop this song boys)

Song 409 - if it really is a u2 song - can take the second place, very much potential.

And of course there's Mercy. Think I'm gonna call it 401. I guess this one would top the list.

good breakdown, agree with all of it.

not really feeling the thank you song...people are saying its a lanois song that maybe bono reworked or something...hope that's the case and he was just messing around.

402 and 404 are :drool: :drool:

While Thank You is my least favorite of the new songs so far, does anyone else think that it's got "closer" written all over it? I certainly couldn't imagine it being placed anywhere else on the new album if it makes it. Especially if this next one turned out to be their last (hopefully not, but just putting that out there). While it's not the greatest song on its own, I could definitely imagine it closing out the album in a respectable manner (a la "40").

Thoughts?

i dont know, its a good though.

i hope it closes out an album of the first single as a b-side :wink:

then again, its only a beach clip, maybe listening to the final product will improve my opinion.

Clip 1 ‘Can’t You See’ -- has a total McCartney Magical Mystery Tour-era vibe to it. Sounds like all keyboards and Edge with backing vox. Would be nice to see U2 put something like this on an album, but I have a feeling they wouldn’t. They’ll either save it for a b-side, or some boxed set waaaaaay down the line.

Clip 2 “I Believe” -- Sounds like a cross between Dirty Day and HMTMKMKM. I love it. Would love to hear it really dirtied up a bit in the production value. Nice work on the backing keyboards.

Clip 3 “Thank You” -- Nice little ditty that could work as a next to last song or maybe even as a closer.

Clip 4 All My Life -- Sounds great! The solo reminds me of something Noel Gallagher would play. In fact, the whole song has a bit of an Oasis vibe to it – lots of potential.

Clip 5 Muffled Sounds (The Strokes Mix) No clue what to think about it.

angelordevil said:

:up:

Sounds silly (and very early), but I think these clips at least hint at something bigger, better, and less stilted than HTDAAB.

Then again, it's really late here, and I might be hallucinating :wink:

:down:

I admit it - I'm not impressed by these clips at all.

Forget the quality - this is about what I can hear of the actual songs.

For me, HTDAAB was a definite advancement from ATYCLB. Songs like "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars" and even "Vertigo" took HTDAAB to places ATYCLB couldn't or didn't go. And this was good - it was a natural progression and gave me great hope for the third album in this mix. "Bomb" still kept some of the softer moments that dominated ATYCLB (and where it excelled), but "Bomb" also pushed more boundaries and was a bit "braver".

In contrast, based on these clips, I hear more of a regression, than progression. I hear more ATYCLB rather than a step up from "Bomb". It seems U2 is swimming back into safer waters.

I hope these clips are just that - experimental clips of a work in progress. But if this is the sound of the new U2 album, perhaps, for the first time ever, I might actually be disappointed in new U2.

I do agree it sounds more ATYCLB than Bomb to me

maybe that's why I am excited about this :up:

why do ya'll want 409 so much? it sounds like something id get anoyed with and its really not that good or interesting and sounds cheap. like low rent u2 almost.

t8thgr8 said:
why do ya'll want 409 so much? it sounds like something id get anoyed with and its really not that good or interesting and sounds cheap. like low rent u2 almost.

to me it sounded promising and more unique than all the other beach clips...but you know what happened:(

I wasn't very excited with 409 to be honest , but the good of it , is that indeed sounded completely different , a kinda of different fresh sound ............ which we all saw why it turned out to be so different .....

it didnt sound real promising to me, it sounded simple and boring and done before. it didnt sound 80's influenced it WAS 80's pop. gross. lame. not unique.

it has no body to it.

and thats not bono singing, thats some hack.

these other songs sound classic and full. like something i wouldnt have to be embarrased about when im blaring it at a redlight.

Rafiennes said:
Clip 1 ‘Can’t You See’ -- has a total McCartney Magical Mystery Tour-era vibe to it.

Exactly.

That's exactly what I want to hear from U2 at this point in their career. They've gone from the bombastic young band of the 80's to the edgy, electro-rock band of the 90's, to the traditional, Beatles-esque band of the 00's so far, and I think at this point the most natural progression would be to experiment within the traditional, Beatles-esque sound that they've been running with for the past two albums. Maybe with kind of the vibe of Elliott Smith's more produced works (XO, Figure 8, From a Basement on the Hill) or, as you mentioned, Sgt. Pepper/MMT-era Beatles. Delving into either that or a more edgy and gritty Arcade Fire-esque sound would fulfil me in a way that I can't describe. :love:

Just dreaming out loud for a second. :wink:

doctorwho said:

For me, HTDAAB was a definite advancement from ATYCLB. Songs like "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars" and even "Vertigo" took HTDAAB to places ATYCLB couldn't or didn't go. And this was good - it was a natural progression and gave me great hope for the third album in this mix. "Bomb" still kept some of the softer moments that dominated ATYCLB (and where it excelled), but "Bomb" also pushed more boundaries and was a bit "braver".

In contrast, based on these clips, I hear more of a regression, than progression. I hear more ATYCLB rather than a step up from "Bomb". It seems U2 is swimming back into safer waters.

I hope these clips are just that - experimental clips of a work in progress. But if this is the sound of the new U2 album, perhaps, for the first time ever, I might actually be disappointed in new U2.

:tsk:

after listening to these poor sound quality clips far too many times then a sane person should, i've come to a conclusion:

I now like 402 a little better than 404. their both amazing, but 402 is a little bit more intriguing to me. 404 is a hit waiting to happen though

doctorwho said:

I agree with this part of your post. I think they are demos at this point anyway. What is funny is after I listened to them and hearing 409 I thought, oh, they are farther along than I thought with recording because of that clip. Then we find out 409 isnt even theirs! :laugh: Absolutely hilarious! Not to continue to be a wet blanket about this, but there is no new album imminent at all IMO and these clips dont support that they are even close to me. In fact to me they show they are nowhere near. :shrug: The only way a new album comes out is if they release leftovers from other sessions or something similiar to what they put on the IPOD release. Which actually I wouldn't mind. A CD quality release of the IPOD demos would be cool.

But everyone have fun, it is kind of funny to read through this thread.

Last edited:
Maybe Ill be the only one that goes out and buys the next album and I can have it all to myself and have the blue crack board all to myself too and all the people that have done nothing but critique U2 go away forever and live their happy lives saying "I used to like U2 but now they suck", much like I hear a lot on the street these days. It would be a dream come true to get rid of these loudmouths and let U2 become the underground band that they might not want to be but would suceed at being very well ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom