MERGED--> new album 20th november! +New Best Of on November 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
to everyone who's bitching about this i have but two words...

eh hem...

WHO CARES!!!

so they put out another greatest hits record... whoopity doo. not like any of us needed the first two, either. we all already have the songs. the only thing any u2 fan should give a crap about is NEW MATERIAL.

the third hits album fulfills a contract obligation. who cares. NEW MATERIAL :drool:

:drool: I :heart: you, Headache :kiss:

But even if the record company has the right to release a third best of, I can't see why U2 has to agree to put 2 new songs on it.

If all the songs on the upcoming best of were old songs, that already has been released, it wouldn't have bothered me at all. I have them already, most of them twice, so I'm not interested in them.

It's the 2 new songs that disturbs me, that I will have to pay for the other 16 songs (again) just to get the 2 new ones.

Last edited:
bono_man2002 said:
In other words, The Pattern is for an album every 2 years. And I hope it breaks

So, 2010 will be the Rest of the Best, 2014 will be the Live Best, and 2018 will finally be that Best Demos and Rarities that we want. :wink:

Axver said:

So, 2010 will be the Rest of the Best, 2014 will be the Live Best, and 2018 will finally be that Best Demos and Rarities that we want. :wink:

No...

2009 - Bono: Back In The Studio
2010 - Best Of The Edge
2011 - Zzzz
2012 - The Sticks : The Best Of Larry Mullen Jr
2013 - Bono : Back In The Studio
2014 - The Best Of The Guy Who Brought Us Coffee While We made ATYCLB
2015 - Zzzz
2016 - New Album/Final Tour/B-Sides + Demo's 4 Disc Box Set (by then it wont be on CD anyways)

P.S Guys, I'm having a bit of fun there.

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Bad
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Gone
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
The Saints Are Coming
New Track That Would Be Better Off As A Single

:yawn:
:scream:
:sad:
:angry:

Skipping October, Zooropa, and maybe even Pop is quite likely.

phillyfan26 said:
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Bad
With or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Gone
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
The Saints Are Coming

:yawn:
:scream:
:sad:
:angry:

Skipping October, Zooropa, and maybe even Pop is quite likely.

Replace Gone with an ATYCLB track and we have a winnah.

and probably Bad with All I Want is You

bono_man2002 said:
No...

2009 - Bono: Back In The Studio
2010 - Best Of The Edge
2011 - Zzzz
2012 - The Sticks : The Best Of Larry Mullen Jr
2013 - Bono : Back In The Studio
2014 - The Best Of The Guy Who Brought Us Coffee While We made ATYCLB
2015 - Zzzz
2016 - New Album/Final Tour/B-Sides + Demo's 4 Disc Box Set (by then it wont be on CD anyways)

The Root Notes Of Chords: The Best Of Adam Clayton better be in 2017 or I'll be REALLY pissed then! :mad:

:wink:

phillyfan26 said:
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Bad
With or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Gone
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
The Saints Are Coming

Wow, that's really close to what I was thinking:

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. Pride
5. Where The Streets Have No Name
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. With Or Without You
8. Desire
9. All I Want Is You
10. One
11. Mysterious Ways
12. Stay
13. Beautiful Day
14. Elevation
15. Vertigo
16. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. New Song That Should Have Been A Stand-alone Single

Axver said:

Wow, that's really close to what I was thinking:

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. Pride
5. Where The Streets Have No Name
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. With Or Without You
8. Desire
9. All I Want Is You
10. One
11. Mysterious Ways
12. Stay
13. Beautiful Day
14. Elevation
15. Vertigo
16. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. New Song That Should Have Been A Stand-alone Single

We can all guess it's something in that neighborhood. I thought it was 14 old songs with the 2 new?

We even named the last track the same! :wink:

:hmm: Sounds familiar.....

7540271.jpg

3 Discs

6504552.jpg

4 Discs

3. Episodes I-III 3 Disc

4. Episodes I-III 4 Discs

5. Episodes I-VI 6 Discs

6. Episodes I-VI 9 Million discs, finally with all the bonus material available.

phillyfan26 said:
We can all guess it's something in that neighborhood. I thought it was 14 old songs with the 2 new?

We even named the last track the same! :wink:

No, it's 16 new songs with 2 "bonuses":

Along with 16 of the band’s best known songs (start predicting them now!) one of the two new tracks is the band’s collaboration with Green Day while the other is a brand new song.

By the way, I forgot to add that our proposed tracklistings are about as definitive as a fucking thumbtack. A truly definitive tracklisting would involve songs such as Gloria, A Sort Of Homecoming, Lemon, and Mofo, but it's not exactly going to happen.

Axver said:

No, it's 16 new songs with 2 "bonuses":

Along with 16 of the band’s best known songs (start predicting them now!) one of the two new tracks is the band’s collaboration with Green Day while the other is a brand new song.

By the way, I forgot to add that our proposed tracklistings are about as definitive as a fucking thumbtack. A truly definitive tracklisting would involve songs such as Gloria, A Sort Of Homecoming, Lemon, and Mofo, but it's not exactly going to happen.

My fault.

I'd like a new Mofo mix. :drool:

However, I'd just add All I Want is You and Stay to mine and there's 18.

A contractual compilation must be for just one disc? :eyebrow:

Any contractual compilation is just intended for a poorly worked "greatest hits"?. Why not a more serious compilation, Singles And Promos Box Set for example.

How come they release Digital Box Set (including New Year's Concert 1989) for that s*** called iTunes and they don't release something decent for the fans of the rest of the world and those ones who don't have an iPod?

I have seen tons of 3 dics compilations :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: and it's about time U2 release something to make justice to their 25+ years career :heart:

No matter how hard you try, you simply CAN'T make a proper compilation with 16 tracks and one disc :banghead: :yuck:

I simply can't believe how bad that compilation could be.

ponkine said:
A contractual compilation must be for just one disc? :eyebrow:

Any contractual compilation is just intended for a poorly worked "greatest hits"?. Why not a more serious compilation, Singles And Promos Box Set for example.

How come they release Digital Box Set (including New Year's Concert 1989) for that s*** called iTunes and they don't release something decent for the fans of the rest of the world and those ones who don't have an iPod?

I have seen tons of 3 dics compilations :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: and it's about time U2 release something to make justice to their 25+ years career :heart:

No matter how hard you try, you simply CAN'T make a proper compilation with 16 tracks and one disc :banghead: :yuck:

I simply can't believe how bad that compilation could be.

:applaud: That's right on. They just don't get it.

phillyfan26 said:
I'd like a new Mofo mix. :drool:

However, I'd just add All I Want is You and Stay to mine and there's 18.

I'd just like some songs that are truly indicative of U2's depth of style. But the article's mention of 'best known' songs gives the implication that this is just going to be the major hits in no real context.

I hope Gloria makes it, though. That'd be a step in the right direction. Maybe they will try to avoid too many repeats (e.g. repeat Streets but not AIWIY) to try to avoid reducing the sales of the prior Best Ofs too much? But like I said earlier, I suspect this is more a decision to replace two Best Ofs with one and it will backfire by just dividing casual fan purchases between three rather than two compilations and thereby lowering the relative success of all of them.

Axver said:

I'd just like some songs that are truly indicative of U2's depth of style. But the article's mention of 'best known' songs gives the implication that this is just going to be the major hits in no real context.

I hope Gloria makes it, though. That'd be a step in the right direction. Maybe they will try to avoid too many repeats (e.g. repeat Streets but not AIWIY) to try to avoid reducing the sales of the prior Best Ofs too much? But like I said earlier, I suspect this is more a decision to replace two Best Ofs with one and it will backfire by just dividing casual fan purchases between three rather than two compilations and thereby lowering the relative success of all of them.

This will backfire no matter what. It can't work. It's horrible. I will now go shave my face with a cheese grater.

:sigh:

I'm over it. (didn't take long, eh?) I vented, was disappointed at the fact that we're getting this instead of an EP or something cooler, but whatever. It's not so bad. If 100% of the profits go to Music Rising, then I'll feel even better.

One somewhat exciting thing----If Rolling Stone talked about this Best Of album a while ago and was right.....let's hope they're right about the new album in 2007 that they mentioned the other day.......:hmm: :hyper:

I agree, this best-of idea is weird and unnecessary, but this doesnt rule out the possibility of a new album next year. I mean, everyone in the band as well as Paul have said that they're recording new stuff and that it's in the early stages, right?

All that recording at Abbey Road plus the beach clips have to amount to more than one new song on a best-of, so I'm sure we'll still get a new album next year, just maybe a little later than if there was no best-of.

if the Green Day Colab takes off, this will have a decent shot of hitting no1. "Saints' are probably going to put U2 right back on heavy rotation on radio and into the mainstream again, and I guess the record company wants to cash in on that success. Kinda makes me feel that the whole collab wasnt all to "benefit" New Orleans. O well

2861U2 said:
I agree, this best-of idea is weird and unnecessary, but this doesnt rule out the possibility of a new album next year. I mean, everyone in the band as well as Paul have said that they're recording new stuff and that it's in the early stages, right?

All that recording at Abbey Road plus the beach clips have to amount to more than one new song on a best-of, so I'm sure we'll still get a new album next year, just maybe a little later than if there was no best-of.

But U2 often feels like with a release like that they have time to loaf and over produce and take it's good old time. They can redo everything at anytime. Happened after the Best of 90-00 and Electrical Storm, didn't it?

If they want to go with a 16 tracks compilation, why not The Rest Of The Best instead? :reject:

I mean, what's the point in repeating the same songs already featured on Best of 1980-1990 and "Best Of" 1990-2000?

Let's see:

1- Out Of Control
2- Gloria
3- Two Hearts Beat As One
4- "40"
5- A Sort Of Homecoming
6- Bullet The Blue Sky
7- Running To Stand Still
8- One Tree Hill
9- God Part II
10-The Fly
11-Lemon
12-Mofo
13-Please
14-Elevation
15-City Of Blinding Lights
16-Original Of The Species

You can notice that even making any single disc compilation of nothing but stuff that didn't appear on the 2 Best ofs is STILL INCOMPLETE an lack songs !!! .

Songs like 11 O`Clock Tick Tock, The Electric Co, Fire, A Celebration, Seconds, MLK, In God's Country, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Zooropa, original or single versions of Numb, Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, If God Will Send His Angels, Last Night On Earth, Walk On, Vertigo and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own MAKES A SECOND DISC REST OF THE BEST !!!! :shocked:

... and they want to make a compilation repeating tracks from Best of 1980-1990 and "Best of" 1990-2000?

Are they deaf, blind or what? :banghead:

Come on, they aren't newbies, they don't need to fill a crappy "Greatest Hits" with whatever comes to mind for the bucks, they are professionals ... and any compilation must reflect that !!

I really hope people from U2 team here have a read at this topic, try to see fans way and talk the band to stop this nonsense intended for a "new" Greatest Hits and suggest them to release something decent at last, a 3 or 4 CD Singles and Promos or at least a 2 CD The Rest Of The Best. Any other compilation, specially any single disc compilation will be just s***

Now that , ponkine, is a great list!! The rest of the best, would be the perfect title for this album,,

I would personally add acrobat and dirty day on this single cd..

Principle Management should do what Oasis did when they decided the tracklist for their Masterplan compilation, put it out to the fans to vote the tracks they see as U2's best... u2.com are you listening ?

Im guessing their decision to put this out is partially due to the Oasis best of release in the same month. After all, these two bands are one , if not the biggest bands in the world...

it will be all the warhouses. i'd say
1.I will follow
2.NYD
3.SBS
4.Pride
5.WOWY
6.STill havent found
7.Streets
8.Desire
9.MW
10.ONE
11.HMTMKMKM
12.Discotheque
13.BD
14.Elevation
15.Vertigo
16.SOmetimes
17. Saints
18. New song

HMTMKMKM more than likely wont be on, but its one of my favs so heres hoping

Well, you have Walk On and Elevation, and say, Vertigo, Sometimes, and OOTS (don't think ABOY will be on it), on the table for inclusion, so maybe there'll be five songs not on previous Best Ofs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom