MERGED--> Kings of Leon Verdicts + How about someone give a review of Kings of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think:

KOL blew chunks in Anaheim. I went eith my wife who had never seen U2 and KOL served as a perfect reminder of what an ordinary rock band with no personailty of uniqueness (i'm talking about their performance because audio wise i couldn't hear or understand a note or lyric). Subsenquently, she was even more impressed with the U2 performance, and the fact it was audible despite the fact that it was louder!...

Anyway I though they were boring, i'm glad a had a seat and not GA's because i could leave my seat and go hang out outside. I didn’t like PJ Harvey’s music, but I thought she was a great opening act. She really interacted with the crowd. KOL just stood there seemingly playing the same song over and over. Best opening: Sugar Cubes and Public Enemy!

Also, I was listening to Boy recently, and I remember when I first heard it. Sincere, beautiful, passionate, innocent, and thoughtful, with excellent guitar work and driving beats. KOL were obnoxious. I could care less if they are big in the underground scene. They could stay there as far as I’m concerned. The Killers actually have a good sound, and are fun to listen to.

I’m rambling

this does not bode well for NJ next week.

Worst opening act for U2 was definitely Fun Lovin' Criminals. Oh gawd, they sucked. I used that time to wander around the stadium some more.

PJ Harvey=Brilliant, spectactular, incredible, genius rock and roll

Stories from the City... is one of my all time favorite albums and I am very indebted to U2 for having her open or I wouldn't have ever gotten into it.

Speaking of Kings of Leon, I hear they are huge in the UK, should be interesting to see if this tour raises their stature here in the US

And P.S.--Fun Lovin' Criminals did suck :wink:

I listened with an open mind. I really tried to enjoy them, but it just wasn't to be. The music was too loud and each song sounded the same. I also thought they lacked stage presence. Their images were projected on the over head screens and none of them ever looked at the camera.

KoL seem to be nice club band but they must how they rate opening for the biggest band and tour of the year is a mystery to me.

I'm so embarrassed that so many U2 fans don't "get" Kings of Leon. They have one of the most original sounds to come through the rock n' roll world in a long, long time.
Embarrassed? :eyebrow: :lmao: There's a lot of ORIGINAL sounds out there. They don't have to assault your ears to be original tho'.

People said the same thing about The Pixies in 92. Many U2 fans are boring in their musical tastes.
I still say the same thing about The Pixies and taste is in the eye of the beholder. It has nothing to do with taste. It's about preference. And I prefer the KOL go underground. :tongue:

I think they can make it up to us U2 fans by getting the Arcade Fire to open this fall...

A guy can dream, can't he? :drool:

Oh good, someone else had to sit through the craptacular Fun Lovin' Criminals in 1997. Man, they were just really bad. They got points from the Wisconsin crowd by playing "On Wisconsin," but that was it.

I kind of dig KOL. They have several songs I like a lot. Their sound is weird live, though - the singer's voice is really whiny and piercing, and I thought they were easier to take on the floor.

Both GA experiences (Seattle 1 and Vancouver), they sounded fine. But in a reserved seat (Seattle 2), I had to plug my ears because the guitars and singer were so piercing, it physically pained me.

They hurt me .. they hurt me bad .... they hurt my ears ... they hurt my chest. Recognized the first song ... then it turned into Axel Rose with a bad throat ... sound was muddy, too .... I honestly *would* like to hear a CD of theirs to see what they actually could sound like.

I thought KOL was decent. My favorite was the BoDeans on Joshua Tree and I have seen them a bunch since. I would love to see O.A.R. opening up some third leg shows or someone that has sort of made it rather than a total up and comer type. Maybe a Coldplay ala the Dave Matthews opening for the Rolling Stones.

u americans just have no taste in music do you? here in the UK kings of leon are a big big act who have had lots and lots of rave reviews. But american have never been big on there indie/rock acts have they the killers and kings of leon are your 2 best so enjoy them! you are not as lucky as us brits we have loads of top new acts like snow patrol, athlete, kasier chiefs, kasibian etc

please u can keep the kings of "schreechleons" there.

i will pay u money to keep them in europe.:yes:

let them play their music loudly there and open up a hashish cafe in holland if need be.

but plez keep them.:wink: :up:

thank u
db9
:wink:

redangeldragnet said:
PJ Harvey is fantastic live, but her sound didn't quite work in a massive arena, it ended up sounding quite harsh when I saw her.

yeah that was probably the problem..... ive seen her (3x) in much much smaller venues ... and she's always delivered an excellent performance (with top notch vocals)... although, i wish i had seen her in earlier days (for the really manic, on-the-verge-of-a-nervous-breakdown live performances)

Chrisedge said:
They are just one of those bands that isn't translating to a big crowd as an opener. I bet they would be great in a House Of Blues size room, and with their own crowd.

i agree.

I feel bad for all the people that it seems cant break into new or different styles of music. Not directing this at anyone on this board because I don't know any of you, but it seems sometimes(like when I was talking to people in the GA line) that opening bands aren't liked by U2 fans because of some sort of bullshit elitist attitude that isn't really open to different bands. When I first heard the KOL album, I thought it was complete shit. I kept an open mind and gave a few more listens and I really started to like it.

I thought they were great on Chicago 2 and 3. They don't have a huge variety, but they're young and play some really cool songs.

When I heard KoL were opening, I gave a listen at Amazon clips, and thought some of it was interesting, the rest a bit stylized in a way I didn't love, but not terrible. But for Chicago 1 I thought they were a bit inordinately loud and so feedback-y mushy sounding that I could almost never pull out a melody line much less a lyric. With one or two exceptions the effect for me was that they weren't bad at making some drivingbeat punkish-sounding-mixed-with-traditional-southerntinged-rock noise, but that there couldn't be all that much going on because so much of it sounded alike.
The lead singer has a fantastic voice and rocknroll singing technique though I think! If they could manage a cleaner sound maybe it would be more appealing live...
maybe I shouldn't have been surprised but I was a bit shocked at how few people actually showed up to see them!
I did go take a long break during their set to relieve my ears (it was so bloody loud even in the nosebleeds!), but jeez...

cheers all!

I liked some of their music alright, but the singers voice seemed so whiney to me, that I would never buy their CD. :ohmy:

The guy's voice is kinda annoying, but the band is pretty good. On Saturday I didn't care for them, but I've warmed to them since then. I just can't tell if the singer's voice is always like that, or if it's just really worn down from the tour.

I just checked out their site and noticed that they're three brothers, and a first cousin. So they all have the same last name. Didn't expect that :wink:

I was dreading them, but I thought they rocked

sambusik said:
I just checked out their site and noticed that they're three brothers, and a first cousin. So they all have the same last name. Didn't expect that :wink:

I was dreading them, but I thought they rocked
:lol:
I thought that was cool to
Caleb Followill , Jared Followill, Nathan Followill, Matthew Followill:drool:

gorman said:
The guy's voice is kinda annoying, but the band is pretty good. On Saturday I didn't care for them, but I've warmed to them since then. I just can't tell if the singer's voice is always like that, or if it's just really worn down from the tour.

Yeah he is always like that. Its a unique voice but takes sometime getting used to. I think he sounds better live than on the recrods. :huh:

Leon is their father.. here is my opinion..
KOL was opening w/ Molly's Chambers as we were walking down to get our tix/wristbands checked for 4th time. Living in Nashville most of the year I am very familiar w/ Kings, and would call myself a fan.. i hung w/ them briefly after SJ II show and even got into the private party @ Pagoda w/ Matthew Sunday night (saw Edge in a deep convo w/ Lars Ulrich in the corner, while Lars bodyguard/buddy was sizing me up and later asked me how much i weighed.. wierd) no Bono Adam or Larry though.KOL is more cool and charasmatic than talented, more original than polished. I enjoy their energy and their short hooky "southern garage rock sound".. they have evolved into a great live act. the Nashville music scene has not embraced them the way they should, but you can add Ryan Adams and Josh Rouse to that list...(great artists!!)i introduced myself to Betty Ann (their mother, who got a Happy Mothers day shout out from Caleb) she was awsome.. very sweet and proud of her boys. KOL has honed their live act and in my opinion was much more well recieved in Chicago, most people dont get them, concert goers in SJ actually booed them both shows.. Between Bono and Edge hand picking them as their opening act, and the fact that they headline in Europe i hope America catches on soon.U2 came out smoking.. the "in between music" is amazing, Wake Up by the Arcade Fire being the highlight! then the spotlight lap by the band (the ellipse is not packed so you can move freely) i told Betty Ann and her crew to anticipate the drum being put on the near tip of the circle (I should not have ruined the suprise.. and how quickly and subtly does the roady get the drum out there?) Love and Peace was on! the crowd went crazy as Bono put a hurting on the solitarty drum.. bad back? i didn't notice during the show, but in hindsight he did not move around as much as in San Jose, luckily he spent a lot of time on the front-right part of the ellipse, which was near where we were standing..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom