Major power outage hits New York, other large cities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reporting from Toronto, still no power.

1:36 remaining on my laptop battery, then I will once again be dead to the world.

It's so eerie outside, it's quiet and pitch black. I can see the stars. It's not an all together pleasant feeling, I must say.

http://www.cmpco.com/about/system/blackout.html

[Q]The Event

The Great Northeast Blackout of November 9, 1965 began at 5:16 p.m., near the end of an otherwise typical work day.

The event started at the Ontario - New York border, near Niagara Falls.

A single transmission line from the Niagara generating station tripped (opened).

Within 2.5 seconds, five other transmission lines became overloaded and tripped, isolating 1,800 MW of generation at Niagara Station.

After their isolation, the generators became unstable and tripped off-line.

The northeast power system became unstable and separated into isolated power systems (islands) within 4 seconds.

Outages and islanding occurred throughout New York, Ontario, most of New England, and parts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Most islands went black within 5 minutes, due to imbalances between generation and load (generator overspeed/underspeed tripping).

The massive blackout left 30 million people without electricity for as long as 13 hours.

This was "the big one"? and it all started with the operation of a simple overcurrent relay on a transmission line. The design and operation of electric utility systems changed after that, due to the lessons that were learned from this event.[/Q]

anitram :)

cheer up!

it's not that bad with no lights and all...i mean seeing the stars really can be humbling!

hope you get through the night ok :)

Diane L said:
I'm on Long Island, and my power went back on about a half-hour ago.

Are you serious? I'm also on LI and I got my power back at about 6:45 AM!!!

My friends and I were at the beach, near a power plant, and at about 4:15, we heard this deep rumbling sound that kind of sounded like a plane taking off, or a loud explosion(hard to explain), and then we saw this cloud of black smoke come out of the smokestack. It did it again a minutelater, but not as loud, and with less smoke. We thought it was bad, but we didn't realize how bad! My friend and I then got stranded in a town about 45 minutes away from where we live for 3 hours

Angela Harlem said:
I bet it was those crazy Noo Yawkers puting their Christmas lights up too early.

Silly Australian :tsk:....let me teach you a lesson:

It is quite common to be an Italian-New Yorker and never take down your Christmas lights. It is festive tradition.

Pffft! Let me learn You something, you crazy yank. A tradition is something which happens at a given regular interval. It can't be no stinkin tradition if its permanent!
:rolleyes:

the power went on at home here on LI at around 4 in the mornin' or so... but work is still in the dark... so that means 2 things...

1. 3-day weekend...

guinness.gif
guinness.gif
guinness.gif
guinness.gif

guinness.gif
guinness.gif
guinness.gif
guinness.gif

Last edited:
Ah, yes, blame Canada.

I'm gonna sue Michigan, then Ohio. :madspit:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But if we could would there be more or less wars?:scratch:

Maybe we should resolve world conflicts with attorneys. Toss them into a large arena for a fight to the death. Everyone wins with fewer attorneys at the end of the day. I doubt we'd see any objection to this method.

Now that's one of the best ideas I've heard on FYM...

You can kill so many birds with one stone. You solve world conflicts, you reduce the number of attorneys, and if you film it you fulfill the people's realty TV fix. I think we have something here.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
and if you film it you fulfill the people's realty TV fix. I think we have something here.

That it!!

Have the government sponsor it on pay-per-view and you have a new source of revenue!

I found THIS:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/08/15/iraqi.advice.ap/index.html

Iraqis' top 10 tips for enduring blackout in the heat
And they should know
Saturday, August 16, 2003 Posted: 3:23 AM EDT (0723 GMT)
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Iraqis who have suffered for months with little electricity gloated Friday over a blackout in the northeastern United States and southern Canada and offered some tips to help Americans beat the heat.

From frequent showers to rooftop slumber parties, Iraqis have developed advanced techniques to adapt to life without electricity.

Daily highs have soared above 120 degrees Fahrenheit recently as Iraq's U.S. administrators have been unable to get power back to prewar levels. Some said it was poetic justice that some Americans should suffer the same fate, if only briefly.

"Let them taste what we have tasted," said Ali Abdul Hussein, selling "Keep Cold" brand ice chests on a sidewalk. "Let them sit outside drinking tea and smoking cigarettes waiting for the power to come back, just like the Iraqis."

Here is a top 10 list -- starting at No. 10 and ending at the No. 1 suggestion, compiled from comments on the streets of Baghdad:

10. Sleep on the roof
Without power -- and hence without air conditioning -- Iraqis have taken to climbing up stairs in the hot nights. Some install metal bed frames on rooftops, while others simply stretch out on thin mattresses. "We sleep on the roof," said Hadia Zeydan Khalaf, 38, wearing a black head-to-toe abaya in the hot sun. "It's cooler there."

9. Sit in the shade
Many Iraqis go outside when the power's off. "We sit in the shade," said George Ruweid, 27, playing cards with friends on the sidewalk. Of the U.S. blackout, he said: "I hope it lasts for 20 years. Let them feel our suffering."

8. Head for the water
"We go to the river, just like in the old days," said Saleh Moayet, 53. Several people said they had seen American beaches on television, and suggested they might be a good place to sit out the blackout. "They have so many beautiful beaches," said Hamid Khelil, 44. "They should go where it isn't so hot."

7. Shower frequently

People line up to buy blocks of ice as temperatures rise to 113 degrees in the shade in Ramadi.
"I take showers all day," said Raed Ali, 33. "Before I go up to the roof to sleep, I take a shower and I'm cooler."

6. Buy blocks of ice
When refrigerators shut down, there's no better way to keep food cool. Mohammed Abdul Zahara, 24, sells about 20 a day from a roadside table. "When it's hot people buy a lot of ice," he said.

5. Check for bitter-enders
"They should go to the power stations and see what the problem is," suggested Ahmed Abdul Hussein, 21. "Maybe there are followers of Saddam Hussein who are sabotaging their power stations. That's what happens here."

4. Get a generator

Abbas Abdul al-Amir, 53, has one of a long row of shops selling generators in Baghdad's Karadah shopping street. When the power goes out, sales go up. "I sell about 30 generators a day," he said. "When the shutdown lasts I can sell even more."

3. Call in the Iraqis
Some suggested the Americans ask the Iraqis how to get the power going again. "Let them take experts from Iraq," said Alaa Hussein, 32, waiting in a long line for gas because there was no electricity for the pumps. "Our experts have a lot of experience in these matters."

2. Use foul language
"When the power goes out, I curse everybody," said Emad Helawi, a 63-year-old accountant. "I curse God. I curse Saddam Hussein. And I curse the Americans."

And No. 1: Take to the streets
The most frequent suggestion among Iraqis for Americans suffering without power was protest. Some said demonstrations can be effective in persuading authorities to turn on the switch.

"We held protests. After that we had fewer blackouts," Ahmed Abdul Hussein said without even a hint of sarcasm. "I'd suggest Americans go out and demonstrate."

Back
Top Bottom