Invisible Discussion Thread II (Do not post song requests - discussion only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And on the note of forum topics, I will give my 2 cents and say that it's better in my opinion to have smaller threads about individual, specific topics rather than one massive thread about the song in general, which then degenerates into flame wars or a vessel for all kinds of irrelevant sub-chatter amongst forum uber-regulars, where most attempts at meaningful discussion are lost to the ether.

Well put.

I don't think U2 will do a surprise release for their new album... just doesn't seem like their type of thing. They've always been heavy into promotion and they'd loose a lot of pre promotion if they did that.

Has any major artist besides Beyoncé done a surprise release? I'm not really into current music so I'm not up on it...

I like it quite a bit, but it does feel edited. Launches into the first chorus a little quickly and the coda feels snipped and rushed. It almost feels like thei should be a little pre-chorus bit before the payoff of the choruses. Love the production and Bono sounds great.

I like it quite a bit, but it does feel edited. Launches into the first chorus a little quickly and the coda feels snipped and rushed. It almost feels like thei should be a little pre-chorus bit before the payoff of the choruses. Love the production and Bono sounds great.

I agree that Bono sounds great, but I'm feeling like the production is part of why I feel so weirded out by it. I feel like it's *all* chorus, one or the other, "more than you know", or "there is no them; there's only us"; the structure of it feels off to me somehow. Like there's a good core there but the arrangement of the bits feels funny to me, and maybe the approach taken with the production is part of why it strikes me that way.

My interpretation:

Them = The Others
Us = Survivors of Oceanic 815
You = Science
Me= Faith

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

And on the note of forum topics, I will give my 2 cents and say that it's better in my opinion to have smaller threads about individual, specific topics rather than one massive thread about the song in general, which then degenerates into flame wars or a vessel for all kinds of irrelevant sub-chatter amongst forum uber-regulars, where most attempts at meaningful discussion are lost to the ether.

I think that second verse is interpreted a little differently. That the person tries not to think about the other, because when he does, everything comes out at once. All the memories they are trying to repress. Could be about a failed relationship, or Bono's tough relationship with his dad...

While the song and Bono's vocals are transporting quite a "warm" feeling, the lyrics, for me, are quite chilly. But there's hope and consolation at the end. It's almost like with "There is no them" another voice, maybe a more mature one, is coming in. There's certainly the theme of the young, still unexperienced, emotionally raw, insecure and impulsive man vs. the older, more mature man with a sense of conciliation in this song.

The Killers have never and will never have the clout of U2, and if Invisible was ever going to get exposure on mainstream stations it would have been on Sunday/Monday when there was a buzz going.

Not true at all..most songs take at least a month to really start catching onto the mainstream radio stations...at least here in the US. It will be awhile before we can accurately judge the general public's reception to Invisible.

I finally watched Lost recently at the urging of members of this forum. I don't see what's was so bad about this ending? :shrug:

Yeah I liked the ending. Too many people were obsessed with learning every detail about the island where the season 6 really ended the character's stories.

So it's a song from Locke to Jack?

"It’s like the room just cleared of smoke"
"I'm not what you see here"
A song from Smokey to Jack?

Perfect!

Confirmed - Invisible is about Lost

I don't think U2 will do a surprise release for their new album... just doesn't seem like their type of thing. They've always been heavy into promotion and they'd loose a lot of pre promotion if they did that.

Has any major artist besides Beyoncé done a surprise release? I'm not really into current music so I'm not up on it...

David Bowie just last year.

I agree. Smaller threads are not that bad an idea if there is only a song or two to discuss. Especially when its the 'there is no them, only us' line which is probably the most contentious aspect of the song on these boards. And anyway there is another thread about invisible, I love Edge's nod to stuart adamson. While this was about lyrical matters that was musical and talked about influence. That could have been on this thread too. But I preferred it separate. Could it be that the adamson thread was positive and this could have turned out to be negative? I dont know. Just know that fellas gotta chill here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

I would agree, but having seen other boards where everyone just starts their own threads, it doesn't lead to better discussion when there are 15 threads for Invisible, especially when half of them are asking/talking about the same thing.

I think it's easier to lump them together rather than having to decide "yes, this small topic gets its own thread, but this other person's opinion/question does not."

The downside is that stuff gets lost, but compared to other boards, I prefer this method.

Back
Top Bottom