Interference Random Music Thread XIII: THE RAN! dom Music Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't that going to be a little costy for one such as yourself?

How do you figure that?

There's a wider variety of seating options at the Bowl, and besides, there's no way it's going to cost anywhere near what it would have to see Pavement alone (or with some no-name opener) in Pomona.

This is too good to pass up.

I finally realized why I haven't been excited about the Pavement reunion, and it's very simple: no new material. I'll support any band that gets back together after a long break and records again, and I'm usually much more into what gets released than most people are (see The Who's Endless Wire, Steely Dan's two 00's albums, The Verve's Forth, Page & Plant's Walking into Clarksdale, etc.). But I don't have much interest in sentimental jukebox tours.

It's the location of the Bowl and the whole lineup that has me excited for this particular show.

Just sold my $12 Beach House ticket for tomorrow's show for $50. I don't even feel bad about it.

Because I didn't feel like $15 for a band I just heard for the first time with one album who's not even headlining?

Not the same as determining how much I want to spend on my favorite band ever in what's obviously a rare appearance at a hallowed venue.

Cori, you've probably already seen this, but your girl is comin out with a new album in July:

kylieaphrodite450.jpg

Remember, back in January, when Cassie was bemoaning the shittiness of Beach House's drumming? I just found a band with worse, and it's not a drum machine (though it might as well be). No, it's the monotonous clatter of Nicholas Shuminsky.

YouTube - Free Energy - Free Energy

At first, you may not notice what's amiss here. That's likely because they, smartly, mixed the drums in such a way that you'll only notice if you're looking for more than just a catchy hook. Fact is, this is pretty much the exact same beat over and over, chaining what could be a completely awesome anthem to the ground.

And no, this isn't an isolated case:

YouTube - Free Energy - Bang Pop

Seriously, this guy makes Larry Mullen sound like Keith Moon. It sucks too, because I should absolutely love this band. It's like Thin Lizzy, Cheap Trick and Spoon decided to make a record together, and they didn't forget to bring the melodies and hooks along with them. I don't think much of their arrangements though; the verses and choruses pretty much loop ad infinitum until 4 minutes pass (almost always too long). Reminds me of Teenage Fanclub's problems early on which, to give them credit, they did manage to iron out by the time Grand Prix came out.

Anyway, their debut Stuck On Nothing comes out May 4 and, if you can get past the most unimaginative drummer in indie rock (I can't wait to see some media outlet call his work "steady"; he doesn't do shit for the entirety of the album), it's actually really good.

Holy shit, thats my go-to beat when i fuck around on my buddy's drum set. I dont play drums

If you're going to cover Crazy Tonight, why leave in the ridiculous falsetto? Your cover is instantly better than the original by virtue of not having that.

I have something nice to say about Shuttlecock, believe it or not. The commercial with Boner talking about the World Cup and "Magnificock" playing in the background? I dig it.

I really enjoyed that as well. It helps that it's pretty much just the intro, one of NLOTH's coolest moments. Made the commercials during the draft a bit less agonizing for a minute.

Also, I hope Dez Bryant up lives up to his reputation of tardiness and general douchebaggery and shows up for the first time around week 16. There is no better fit for the Dallas Cowboys franchise.

Poison was the best of their genre of cheese metal (which does not include Guns and Roses); miles ahead of Bon Jovi, for example. Pretty underrated band, considering.

Hope he pulls through.

All of those washed up, desperate celebrity cashgrab dating shows like Rock of Love and Flavor of Love have a special place in my heart. The quality of his music is neither here nor there at this point; Bret Michaels just cracks me up. Hope he pulls through, he's had a lot of issues with The BEETUS in the past.

Also, I take issue with the hipster label.

I have something nice to say about Shuttlecock, believe it or not. The commercial with Boner talking about the World Cup and "Magnificock" playing in the background? I dig it.

It felt really Pop-esque watching it, was really cool.

Hope Bret's ok :(

If he comes out of this intact like Bill Berry, maybe he should then follow Bill Berry's lead and go be a farmer.

:hug:

Back
Top Bottom