Interference Random Music Thread Part VII: Hot Rice? I prefer the Shaved Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same problem here. The real problem was people listening to the lists less and less while relying on seeing how many songs they know or voting for their PALZ.

I think the PALZ factor is given too much credit. I'm not chummy with anyone here, and I beat the fuck out of you all on the last DI.

I think the PALZ factor is given too much credit. I'm not chummy with anyone here, and I beat the fuck out of you all on the last DI.

To be fair, you also had one of the two best playlists.

The few of you who bother to listen to me, or at least read what I write, know that I am brutally skeptical. You have no fucking idea how skeptical I have become, over the course of the last ten years, about this album...

raekw452.jpg

...Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Pt. II (ie, the Chinese Democracy of hip-hop).

I have heard it, though. And it is sooooooooooooooooooo much better than it has any right to be. Like...wow. So fucking good. My old friend T. Starks is all over the fucking thing, as is a lot of then Clan, and they're sounding pretty good. And a HELL of a lot better than they did on 8 Diagrams, I might add. Seriously, though. This is 900 times better than I ever imagined it could be.

Wow. Wow, wow, wow.

I think that it's on par with the first Fishscale album, and better than Toney (after one listen, that is...so take this with at least one grain of salt). Definitely better than More Fish and Big Doe Rehab.

Nothing on here as singularly perfect as, say, "Shakey Dog," though. I'm willing to concede that my opinion on the record benefits exponentially from outrageously low expectations...but that's not to say that it doesn't kick, because it does. Some AMAZING beats on this. And everybody sounds hungry, on their verses. Excellent stuff.

The few of you who bother to listen to me, or at least read what I write, know that I am brutally skeptical. You have no fucking idea how skeptical I have become, over the course of the last ten years, about this album...

For what it's worth I always read what you write. Of course, 75% of the time I have no idea what you're talking about, but at least I always feel like I take away something from it. :up:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't bring myself to intellectually appreciate hip hop apart from THE YE! and THE KAST!

I have to be honest. All the abbreviations/nicknames/exclamations are beginning to get a bit overwhelming. I do believe I spend 30% of my time in this sub-forum reverse engineering two-to-four letter codes into full artist titles.

If you cannot appreciate the absurd, surreal brilliance of this album, then I fear you may not love music (or at least insane inanity):

B0002TL6QQ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Seriously, if you have not listened to this, then do it. Because you are SERIOUSLY missing out. Killa Cam is the dude who spit the best-ever verse on a 'Yeezy song, in "Gone." The one wherein he tells a knock-knock joke to himself and samples his own voice to harmonize with his own verse. The beats, the verses, the sheer audacity and brutal absurdity of this record puts to shame any other hip-hop album you've heard, this decade. And, yes, that includes Outkast and the falling-off-as-fast-as-Cam 'Yeezy.

Give it a shot, B. For serious.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't bring myself to intellectually appreciate hip hop apart from THE YE! and THE KAST!

Kanye and The Roots so far are the only two artists I've taken a liking to. I've listened to other albums, supposed classics, and come up with nothing.

If you cannot appreciate the absurd, surreal brilliance of this album, then I fear you may not love music (or at least insane inanity):

B0002TL6QQ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Seriously, if you have not listened to this, then do it. Because you are SERIOUSLY missing out. Killa Cam is the dude who spit the best-ever verse on a 'Yeezy song, in "Gone." The one wherein he tells a knock-knock joke to himself and samples his own voice to harmonize with his own verse. The beats, the verses, the sheer audacity and brutal absurdity of this record puts to shame any other hip-hop album you've heard, this decade. And, yes, that includes Outkast and the falling-off-as-fast-as-Cam 'Yeezy.

Give it a shot, B. For serious.

Case in point...I read everything you just typed. I appreciated it. I'm never going to listen to this, though. I do check out quite a bit of what you mention, though. Some I love, some I like, some sucks but I always enjoy finding out.

Have you heard Madvillain? It's pretty experimental hip-hop, but I think you might enjoy it. Probably my favorite hip-hop album at the moment. Also, Black Star's Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star is another fantastic album, if you haven't heard it. Those two records got me back into hip-hop after a long hiatus.

Also the Raekwon album is next up on my list of newly downloaded albums to listen to. I'm glad to hear that it's that good, especially after how freaking long it took him to put it out.

I listened to both the Cameron songs. Nothing. I can understand why someone would like it; it's a lot better than typical shitty rap. But it just doesn't do a thing for me. Appreciate you trying.

Maybe I'm just racist.

Hip Hop might be the one musical genre that finds me stuck in a certain time period. While I'll always like 2-3 songs a year from the world of Hip Hop, I find that the only artists I truly like came from the 80's, with the notable exception of A Tribe Called Quest. I'm not sure if I've given new artists a fair shake or not, but, I'm fairly sure it just won't do the trick for me.

After how much you've put Cam up on here, I finally gave him a listen. He does have fantastic flow. Not really a fan of his lyrical content, but he's definitely a good MC, no doubt about that.

Well, even if it isn't going to happen, you still gotta appreciate a good Cam-breaking-up-with-some-woman-on-record skit...

Woman: How can that be worse than what you already done to me? Nothing can be worse. That was the ultimate disrespect.

Killa: I'll take a shit in your backseat.

And, yes, oneblood is right to point out his objectionable lyrics. Highly objectionable, in some instances. That is a big hurdle (oftentimes for me, too), but the insane, knowing stupidity of it all helps me overlook a lot of it. Killa is a strange, strange, strange beast. For example...

YouTube - CAM'RON-I.B.S.

Nothing too offensive, there...just...well, fucking weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom