Interference Random Music Talk Part III: The One Not Ruined by Sofia Coppola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I admittedly haven't enjoyed his post-Pavement work much (with the exception of a few fantastic singles), so I usually shy away from them.

Understandable. I'd agree for most of his solo work, but this album's an exception.

This is the only Malkmus solo record I've heard, and now I want to listen to the first one. I liked his work with Pavement of course, but Real Emotional Trash is a different beast entirely.

The rest of his solo albums have a few great songs, but as entire albums, they fall a little short. They are worth checking out though. :up: Other than Real Emotional Trash, I like Face the Truth quite a bit.

The only post-Pavement Malkmus I've heard is his self-titled debut and I love it. It's a really fun record. I'm not sure why I haven't given the others a listen but now I too am tempted to go out and buy Real Emotional Trash.

LM: If you like all the jamming on RET, you'd probably want to check out Pig Lib (second solo release), which it resembles the most. It also has an ELEVEN MINUTE song that shreds supremely with two monster extended solos.

GAF: If you're a real fan of the solo debut, you might want to try Face the Truth (third solo release) next. It's a little quirkier and less jammy than the even-numbered Malks, and was recorded mostly without the Jicks.

I love them all, for different reasons.

Finally crossed the 40 album mark for 2008 today. I'll be listening to a few more and then decide on a top 10.

Remaining albums I'm curious about:

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
Why? - Alopecia
Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping

I've heard pieces of the Of Montreal record, but I have no idea whether it's sheer brilliance or a complete piece of shit. It's the most puzzling album I've heard all year, that's for sure.

I've heard pieces of the Of Montreal record, but I have no idea whether it's sheer brilliance or a complete piece of shit. It's the most puzzling album I've heard all year, that's for sure.

I love Of Montreal, own this album, have listened to it a couple of times now, and still feel the same way. It's enjoyable yet annoying at the same time.

I still haven't got around to listening to all of Skeletal Lamping but I love, love, love Of Montreal's previous album Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?. That's some wild, but great, pop music.

Thanks!! I can't get on myspace here, but I'll give it a spin at home. :)

Same here, thanks Laz. Martha, your sig pic looks familiar.

I still haven't got around to listening to all of Skeletal Lamping but I love, love, love Of Montreal's previous album Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?. That's some wild, but great, pop music.

Agreed, and I think that's why i can't hep but be somewhat disappointed by this one unfortunately.

It's the eastern Sierra Nevada, looking west from the road to Death Valley. I took it last February.

Ahhh. Well, close enough to Utah, I guess it all looks the same. I could seriously drive about 15 mins away from where I am right now and take a picture that would look pretty similar. :wink:

I love Of Montreal, own this album, have listened to it a couple of times now, and still feel the same way. It's enjoyable yet annoying at the same time.

Listening now. I agree fully. It sounds like they're trying on funny hats instead of writing good songs, and the lyrics are too bluntly obscene to do anything more than amuse. This isn't high art, it's just an entertaining listen. An Eluardian Instance and Women's Studies Victims are both pretty good.

This week's been a good one for me in regards to finding new albums to listen to. The latest of these are Girl Talk's Night Ripper and Feed the Animals. :drool: I'm glad that I got around to Feed the Animals before the end of the year, since it'll probably make my year-end list now. I'm usually not a fan of mashups, but these and The Grey Album have been the only ones to absolutely blow me away on first listens. :up:

If I like Feed the Animals (and I really, really do), would I like Night Ripper? Is it the same concept?

If I like Feed the Animals (and I really, really do), would I like Night Ripper? Is it the same concept?

:yes: I actually like Night Ripper more I think. :hmm: It's got heavier guitar samples than Feed the Animals, and it's more ADD, if that's possible. :lol:

Feed The Animals is a ton of fun. But, as you can imagine, for every brilliant combination (Roc Boys/Paranoid Android, Ghetto Supastar/Autumn Sweater), a number fall completely flat. As a 53 minute mashup though, it's pretty great.

Feed The Animals is a ton of fun. But, as you can imagine, for every brilliant combination (Roc Boys/Paranoid Android, Ghetto Supastar/Autumn Sweater), a number fall completely flat. As a 53 minute mashup though, it's pretty great.

True. I think if you take it at face value, it's pretty great, like you said.

All Girl Talk albums have a list of their samples on wikipedia, so that will clue you in if you're not sure whether to check out any albums he may release in the future.

For instance, I've got to check out Night Ripper, simply because I'm itching to find out what Lil Wayne rapping over Nirvana's "Scentless Apprentice" would sound like.

All Girl Talk albums have a list of their samples on wikipedia, so that will clue you in if you're not sure whether to check out any albums he may release in the future.

For instance, I've got to check out Night Ripper, because I'm itching to find out what Lil Wayne rapping over Nirvana's "Scentless Apprentice" would sound like.

It almost feels like a spoiler to do that lol.

The only reason I want Feed the Animals to end is so I can check out Night Ripper

I have been up since 3 AM. I wonder if that has something to do with why me of all people (ask ElMel he'll back this up) am enjoying rap.

:lol: But it's recontextualized. :wink:

Really though, I do like how he puts things like Lil' Wayne's verse from "Stuntin' Like My Daddy" on top of "Nothing Compares 2 U." It makes this (Pick 'em up, fuck 'em let 'em lay/Where im from we see a fuckin dead body everyday/That's, uptown, throwin stacks at 'em/Make a song about me im throwin shots back at 'em/Bitch im a pipe, and she like a crack addict) stick out more than they would have in the original song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom