In Australia (Gold Coast) 1 November 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
22870268.jpg

22870266.jpg

22870860.jpg

22870859.jpg

From The GC Bulletin:

Still a beautiful day for jetlagged U2
2/11/06

ROCK royalty landed on the Gold Coast yesterday when U2 came to town.

The Irish supergroup, arguably the biggest band on the planet, will spend the next few days lapping up the luxury on the Coast before resuming their postponed Vertigo world tour in Brisbane on Tuesday night.

The ANZ Stadium gig, which has been sold out for months, will be the group's first major concert since their world tour was put on hold in May following a sudden illness to the daughter of guitarist The Edge.

Despite enduring a horror travel itinerary which started in Dublin and ended with check-in at the plush Palazzo Versace some three stopovers and 36 hours later, the band's charismatic lead singer was happy to chat.

"We're very, very, very excited to be here," said the man born Paul Hewson but universally known as Bono.

"If I could just wake up to really take in all this beautiful Gold Coast.

"I don't really feel like Bono at the moment, I looked in the mirror and saw a little man with sunken eyes."

A few hours later after a hearty feed at Burleigh's Oskars restaurant Bono was more enthusiastic.

"Where can we go for a drink?" he asked.

And when told Surfers Paradise had a multitude of Irish bars: "I think we have enough of them back home."

Drummer Larry Mullen Jr, who celebrated his 45th birthday on Halloween, said he was looking forward to spending time on the Gold Coast.

"We came here once before, but it was at least 10 years ago," he said. "The place has changed so much. It seems to have really expanded.

"But Dublin is cold and wet right now so we're very happy to be here.

"I mean, what a nice place to kick off the tour."

However, he also said the long journey to the Gold Coast had taken its toll.

"We're absolutely stuffed," he said. "It was a long, long trek to get here."

Bass player Adam Clayton said the holiday on the Coast would be interrupted by preparations for the resumption of world tour action.

"We have been to Queensland many, many times and always enjoyed it, but we will be busy with rehearsals while we are here."

Most of the band travelled from Dublin to London, to Singapore, to Sydney and to Coolangatta.

The longest journey was made by The Edge, who had to fly from the US to London to meet his bandmates.

Not surprisingly, he was reluctant to talk to The Bulletin.

A small gathering of Gold Coast Airport employees, tipped off about the celebrity arrivals, made the most of a brief encounter with the rock stars, who arrived at Coolangatta about 8.30am on a small, 10-seater charter jet from Sydney.

Airport worker Carly Sommer reacted more like a 12-year-old girl than a 28-year-old woman after Bono planted a kiss on her cheek on the tarmac.

"It was awesome," she said.

"They were such good sports.

"Bono told me he hadn't seen me in ages.

"It's amazing, I've had posters of him on my wall since I was 12 years old."

Workmate Natalie Mulholland didn't get a kiss, but may still have swapped saliva with Bono after taking a swig from his half-empty coffee cup once he had left the plane.

"I asked the pilot which seat Bono sat in, so I sat there and took a sip from his cup," she said.

"I wanted to get Bono germs."

The group was last seen at the Q1 Observation Deck last night when a kiss from Bono gave one birthday girl a party to remember.

The band is expected to check out ANZ Stadium today in true rock star style with a private helicopter flight to Brisbane.

------
What a great article!!

Great pics and stories. Thanks!

Bono's wearing a green wristband now too... does anyone know what that one is?

The green wristband is for Steve Irwins Wildlife Warriors I think....I've seen a pic of Terri & Bindi Irwin wearing them....

Ancalagon said:
Ruffian, you're going to be at the Auckland shows?? I am too - GA, both nights. :hyper:

:up: great! i'm also GA both nights. i'm so excited...NZ is one of my favorite places in the whole world.

BonoFox1 said:

06D705BC25.jpg

Gah ha ha ha ha ha!!! You're right!!! Someone forgot to back his platforms!!!!:lmao:

:cute: I TOLD you he's a PLEBAn! A little while ago we complained that he shouldn't be insecure about his height, and look who dumped his platforms now? :lol:

I love the denim shirt btw :love:

He's probably wearing the denim shirt bc the striped black one dissintegrated w/ so much wear! :lol::wink:

3 Days, people! I'm so excited for everyone who's going to the shows!!! Pictures...:drool:

BonoFox1 said:

OMG :ohmy: He's wearing my shirt! Yay! Thats the product RED denim shirt I just bought!!! I recognized it right away but made sure by the tiny light patch of stitching on the left chest above the pocket! You cant see in this photo but there's a red snap at the front top and a fancier red snap at the sleeve.

Yay Bono for wearing Product RED!

So how tall is bono now without the platforms ? 5,2 ?? hobbit size ???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom