In Australia (Gold Coast) 1 November 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the video clip. I was watching the woman walking on the sidewalk along the buildings, watching Bono instead of where she was going...I wondered if she was going to run into something.

Here's a small item from today's Courier Mail, and a couple of pictures:

Bono's sound check
Greg Stolz
November 02, 2006 11:00pm

FOR U2 tragic Maria McFadden, it was well worth the long, hot wait.

She stood for about seven hours in the sun outside the Palazzo Versace, hoping to catch a glimpse of her idols staying at the swish Gold Coast hotel ahead of their Australian-tour-opening Brisbane concert on Tuesday.
The Adelaide woman's dedication was rewarded yesterday afternoon when Bono and fellow members of the Irish supergroup emerged from the hotel to greet about 100 cheering fans lining the driveway.

For Ms McFadden, who has spent thousands of dollars on tickets and accommodation for U2 concerts in Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide, it was A Beautiful Day.

"I can't believe it! I got Bono's autograph, Larry Mullen's autograph and photos of Bono and The Edge," an excited Mrs McFadden said.

Before leaving for a sound check at the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre, where U2 open their Vertigo tour on Melbourne Cup night, Bono praised the band's Australian fans.

"The world needs more Australians, man," Bono said.

Another U2 fan, Leah Lang, joked yesterday she might have to name her first child Bono – or his real name Paul (Hewson) – after the singer touched her pregnant belly at the Brisbane stadium.

"It was awesome," said Mrs Lang, who will miss the concert because she is seven months pregnant.

preg.jpg

maria.jpg

Wow, thanx for the link, this is a great report. Bono's devilish laughter in the end, I so love that! And man this is some tall guy with Edge's autograph. They all look so relaxed, I think Australian fans can be very happy!

you beat me to it bonocomet! Saw the link in one of the Aussie threads (countdown) along with stories of those who got to meet the band. Very excited for everyone down under :hyper:

Oh cool... I know I didn't have time to look around and see if it had been posted elsewhere... running late as usual!

gluey said:
I have a problem...I just don't know who to drool over first....they're all sooooo divine, yummy, nibbly, scrummy, suave, delectable, tasty, smooth, hot, cool.......

God give me strength to survive this month.....

Gluey!! how can you say this?? I mean you have the mans bellybutton as your avay and you still ask who you should drool for???:shame: shame on you.......

Now if you can have an avy the morphs from B-man button to Lars button than you'll be excused.........:wink:

biff said:

"The world needs more Australians, man," Bono said.
[/IMG]

yeah if he loves us so much then how come they haven't toured here since 1998?? :madspit: *breathes deeply* It's OK BEG, let it go.....:sigh:

12 days to go...... :hyper:

the " edge is on fire " quote is such a joke quote LOL.

Everyone jokes about Bono saying that :lol:

ruffian said:

:yes:

are you GA?

no bugger it!!! A friend bought our tickets and thought she was doing good by getting b reserve....down the back side.....boohoo....but at least I'll be there...... :hyper:....are you going to try and meet them??? I've got to give Bono my Bonosapian book which Effanbee has kindly made up for me!! Don't know where to go or how to hunt them down...got all day saturday to devote to it.....

Am I right -- did that yellow chopper say News 9? Aren't there any other helicopters in that part of Australia, that they had to borrow the traffic chopper :)

They look great. Lucky, lucky Aussies!

silvrlvr said:
Am I right -- did that yellow chopper say News 9? Aren't there any other helicopters in that part of Australia, that they had to borrow the traffic chopper :)

It wasn't a traffic chopper. It was the RACQ Care Flight chopper that picks up sick/injured people in rural Southern Qld/Northern NSW...it is sponsored by the 9 news network. I guess that there were no sick/dying people yesterday afternoon!

It's much fun waiting for the nightly news each day to see what the boys have been up to! Although, it's incredibly frustrating to think that they are only an hours drive down the highway from me and here I am studying for an economics exam!

Thanks to everyone for the great pics! I'm so happy for cousins down under that U2 have finally made it to your part of the world. Like everyone else who posted, I too hope you all get to see U2 at their best, you deserve it after waiting so patiently!! :hug:

From The Gold Coast Bulletin
3/11/06
--------------------------------------
U2 frontman Bono has promised Queensland fans a show they will never forget as the band prepares to restart their Vertigo world tour.

The Irish supergroup has been the talk of the Gold Coast since its arrival on Wednesday and the fans’ excitement has reached fever pitch in the build-up to Tuesday night’s Brisbane concert.

The show has been sold out for months.

Listeners have inundated radio stations with U2 sightings, with fans waiting for hours outside the band’s swish digs at Palazzo Versace.

Speaking outside Sea World yesterday, before being whisked by the RACQ CareFlight helicopter for a first glimpse of ANZ Stadium, Bono said the band was itching to get back on stage following a six-month break after the sudden illness of the daughter of guitarist The Edge.

“This is not like coming here at the end of a really long tour where we feel down,” he said. “We’re fresh and ready to play.

“I think we will be in top form. We’re all very excited, and The Edge has been on fire.

“We will give it everything we’ve got and we hope that’s enough.”

He said the band owed it to Australian fans to produce something special after the disappointment of cancelling the Australian leg of the tour earlier this year.

“We wish we hadn’t let them down the last time we were here,” said Bono.

“The Edge had nothing left in him (following the illness of his daughter).

“Things could have got really messy for us, the fans could have got very upset or angry, but they didn’t. They were very cool.”

Perhaps for that reason, he said the band felt a special affinity with Australian fans.

“It doesn’t feel so far from home,” he said.

“We love playing here and we wish there were more Australias.”

Since arriving on the tourist strip, U2 has been far from reclusive, enjoying a feast at Burleigh’s Oskars restaurant before a night on the town.

“We had a night out and it was great fun,” said Bono, who gave one local lass a tale to tell her grandchildren with a birthday kiss on the Q1 observation deck.

“We met some wonderful people, and ended up playing poker in this bar, but we lost.

“Hopefully, we can make up for it on Melbourne Cup Day.”

Melbourne Cup day punting has been kind to Bono he once won money on When Love Came To Town, a horse named after a classic U2 and BB King number.

The Edge was also looking relaxed yesterday before boarding the chopper to Brisbane.

“It’s great to be here,” he said, still wearing a jacket and his trademark beanie, despite temperatures which would be considered a heatwave back in Ireland.

“It’s going to a great show,” he said.

RACQ CareFlight CEO Ashley Van de Velde was more than happy to have arguably the world’s most famous rock band on board, especially considering the generous donation they made to the organisation.

“We’re very happy with it,” he said. “It’s way more than the cost of the journey that’s for sure.”

It is not the first time the CareFlight chopper has acted as chauffeur it also transported the Rolling Stones during their last visit to the Gold Coast.

The band will travel to Brisbane again tomorrow for a full rehearsal ahead of Tuesday’s concert.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom