GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well i don't feel like reading the whole threat (lazy)..... SO a few questions and concerns!

First U2 concert!!!!
Been a fan since 04', interference member since 05' :wink:
I'm going to the Edmonton show June 1st.... I'm thinking of lining up for GA about 7 am..... I'll have my BFF with me so he's good for anything... We're staying in an apartment about a mile or two from the stadium... Does anyone have an suggestions on what i should bring? And I'm positive there is a place where you can get food from a bar around commonwealth. Feel free to Facebook me or PM me.

Well i don't feel like reading the whole threat (lazy)..... SO a few questions and concerns!

First U2 concert!!!!
I'm going to the Edmonton show June 1st.... I'm thinking of lining up for GA about 7 am..... I'll have my BFF with me so he's good for anything... We're staying in an apartment about a mile or two from the stadium... Does anyone have an suggestions on what i should bring? And I'm positive there is a place where you can get food from a bar around commonwealth. Feel free to Facebook me or PM me.

Food. Water. Perhaps some gatorade or something else to keep you hydrated. Some grapes are useful fruits for that too. And take a roll of toilet paper just in case. You never know...
Would be useful to get a place to sit, a folding chair or air matress or something like that.. And sunscreen is never a bad thing.

First U2 concert!!!!

Something against the rain is always a good idea. Even if it's been sunny for days, the weather can suddenly change during the day of the concert (yes, I speak from experience:wink:). While during the concert you really don't mind getting wet, I can imagine it's not very pleasant when you stand in the line.

I forgot to bring a jacket and was very sick afterwards (not that I cared, I just had seen U2 for the first time live!)

gatorade.

This, but make sure you drink the Gatorade no earlier than 30 min-1 hour before the show. The sodium and carbs are going to help you feel renewed, yes, but they don't last long..ya don't want a carb crash halfway in :no:

Whatever you do, EAT during the day. Good food too. I never understand people who starve themselves just so they won't have to go to the bathroom. Fact is, you'll still have to go to the bathroom even if you don't eat, and if you don't stay nourished you'll be completely exhausted before the show even starts. Those people who you see fainting? They thought it would be a good idea not to eat or drink anything after 3 PM. They are stupid, it's a horrible idea. Have friends/people around you save your spot if you have to go to the bathroom once you're inside.

.... Those people who you see fainting? They thought it would be a good idea not to eat or drink anything after 3 PM. They are stupid, it's a horrible idea. Have friends/people around you save your spot if you have to go to the bathroom once you're inside.

Need help with the following:

I am doing GA in Miami, GA for the very first time in my life, and I have questions that I wanted to share with more experienced U2 concert goers!

1) Bathroom - Generally speaking, if you queed early enough to be one of the first to enter the GA pit, I am guessing that you'd be standing/sitting within the pit for a good 3-4 hours, if not, longer, before the concert starts that is ...now, with respect to the bathroom issue, is it difficult and/or near impossible to go to the bathroom while still being able to come back to the original spot? ...you mentioned that a friend can hold the spot, but really, is this so during that 3-4 hour span, and how bout once the concert has started, does the same apply?

2) Bathroom - Generally speaking, are there porter potties in the back area (behind the claw that is) for those whom have gained entry to the GA pit area? or are they located a long wayz away (heading towards the sound board) area?

3) More importantly, if this was your one and only U2 360 concert, and you had GA tickets, where exactly would you stand in order to get the most bang for you buck, I stress, this is your one and only chance to be a part of this "U2 concert experience"!! ...Prime real estate is what I am looking for!!!

As far as potential options, I've narrowed it down to:

A) Front and center rail (front of the catwalk), or
B) Inside GA Pit (back and center of the catwalk), or
C) in the GA standing area in between the sound board area and the front rail catwalk

...I have heard that inside the pit, by the back rail is great, but I've also read somewhere that the sound is not pointed/curved down enough to hit those inside the pit full blast, is this true? ...I am looking for the "full" sound effect!

As far as lighting effects and visuals is concerned, I understand that there are "pros" and "cons" with those 3 options, and I am interested in your thoughts regarding this aswell, but I am more concerned with sound and overall "U2 concert experience"!!

Thanking you in advance for any thoughts or opinions and/or advise that you may share!!

Outside rail center is what you want.

Good sound, visible screens, Bono five feet away.

Everyone's bladder is different, but I stop drinking one hour before gates. I try to use a bathroom 10 minutes before gates. Once you're inside the pit, it is possible to walk out to use the bathrooms, but it will depend on how packed and how polite the GA pit crowd is. If you're near the front rail, walk along its edge behind the first row of fans while (if) everyone is still sitting down. The sooner you go the better, of course. I would not vacate your spot once the opening act starts.

At Denver and SLC, they did not pat us down, so we brought in small bottles of water (however, each venue will have their own rules regarding this.) I always try to bring in a small bottle of water, even if it's forbidden, in case they don't find it or don't pat us down at all. I also bring two Capri Sun-style pouches of fruit juice, one of which I drink during "Major Tom" and the other I drink before the final encore. Quenches the thirst and provides sugar for pogoing. If it's warm or if you're moving a lot, you'll sweat out the juice and not have to go.

My body aches and pains disappear when U2 are onstage anyway, other fans report the same thing.

Still on my epic quest to obtain a used guitar pick from the Edge. Will be attempting to make it to the Meadowlands show. Anyone ever had luck getting a pick at any point during/at the end of the show? I have had people tell me that right in front of Edge, Adam and Bono, the picks get tossed out into the crowd. Will my best bet be standing right in front of Edge?

Still on my epic quest to obtain a used guitar pick from the Edge. Will be attempting to make it to the Meadowlands show. Anyone ever had luck getting a pick at any point during/at the end of the show? I have had people tell me that right in front of Edge, Adam and Bono, the picks get tossed out into the crowd. Will my best bet be standing right in front of Edge?

Try Dallas, he gives out a lot of pics.

Try Dallas, he gives out a lot of pics.

When is the time to try to get one from him/where at? I tried to yell to him during the soundchecks for the Gillette show in Foxboro but he just looked and shook his head. Is it a good idea to not move from the front of the stage after the show and just wait until the band leaves for him to start throwing picks out or does he do this before the show if at all?

Before the show, he walks around the circle to test the guitars, usually the cream Fender Telecaster. If he's in a good mood he'll let people touch the guitar and hand out picks. After the show he's usually too busy.

Before the show, he walks around the circle to test the guitars, usually the cream Fender Telecaster. If he's in a good mood he'll let people touch the guitar and hand out picks. After the show he's usually too busy.

Alright, cool, thank you! So once the show starts and then ends Edge doesnt throw any picks out? Do they just save the picks used and out them away? I had built up this image of all the picks being tossed into the crowd in front of Edge after the show ends.

One day I was just standing on my lonesome in the inner circle (at the back) and Dallas walked right by, looked at something then went "Hello", I squeaked some form of greeting before he looked behind a barrier for a second and found a pic and gave it to me. I was kind of stunned.

I can't guarantee it is "Edge-used", but I think of it like this. Maybe Dallas used it and that's good enough for me, but Dallas touches picks after touching the guitars Edge touches and I personally think that's fair cool! :)

Alright, cool, thank you! So once the show starts and then ends Edge doesnt throw any picks out? Do they just save the picks used and out them away? I had built up this image of all the picks being tossed into the crowd in front of Edge after the show ends.

I have seen Edge hand over picks during his walk on the outer rail as well as the end of the show at the front of the main stage.
I think main stage is a bigger chance of getting a set list from one of the techs ,or a pick from Edge
while outer circle has a good chance to score a pick from either Dallas or Edge. But its hard to catch edge's eye from the outer circle. Better think of something original.

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but can anyone tell me if Ticketmaster is releasing GA tickets in the last day or two before a show?

It depends on the venue. For Winnipeg they did.

As for the washroom question, depending on the type of crowd, you can even leave a rail spot. My friend left front rail. Just make sure you get to know those around you, and chatting with the security guards helped as well. I knew they would make sure she got her spot back. The Winnipeg security guards were awesome!:up:

alright kids, the mother of all tips!!

YAH BETTER SHOW UP FOR QWEST FIELD TONITE!!!

:love: U2 ROCKS SEATTLE, WASHINGTON!!! :love:

I don't know of this has been talked about yet, but here's something I learned.

When I did GA in Oklahoma, I stood for about five hours straight and was sore all over for a week. I knew that I was going to be standing for a longer time in Winnipeg, so I started using my treadmill more than usual a few weeks before the show. I ended up standing for almost nine hours at the show, and the next day, I wasn't sore at all. Also, if I hadn't been strengthening my muscles in advance, my tumble down the stairs three nights before the concert might have ended up resulting in much worse than a sprained ankle and possibly not going to the show at all.

So, if you don't already exercise regularly, I would suggest getting in shape a little before doing GA because you'll be able to handle it a lot better.

I don't know of this has been talked about yet, but here's something I learned.

When I did GA in Oklahoma, I stood for about five hours straight and was sore all over for a week. I knew that I was going to be standing for a longer time in Winnipeg, so I started using my treadmill more than usual a few weeks before the show. I ended up standing for almost nine hours at the show, and the next day, I wasn't sore at all. Also, if I hadn't been strengthening my muscles in advance, my tumble down the stairs three nights before the concert might have ended up resulting in much worse than a sprained ankle and possibly not going to the show at all.

So, if you don't already exercise regularly, I would suggest getting in shape a little before doing GA because you'll be able to handle it a lot better.

:up:

And wear comfortable shoes FFS!

This topic has spanned way too many pages. My question is simple, is the GA entrance the same as it was in the previous Toronto leg? Line up and get in. Is there a lottery or not for the crab shack?

Is the entrance to the inner circle always on the left? Or both sides?

Back
Top Bottom