"From the Sky Down" film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hikerdeb

The Fly
From the Sky Down, a documentary about the making of Achtung Baby, will open the Toronto film festival Sept. 8. It's directed by one of the world's most acclaimed documentary filmmakers, so I would love to see it.

Anybody have any idea when this movie might be available on DVD?

Also, what does the title refer to? Is that from a song lyric?

And does U2 get a cut of any profits from this movie?

Obviously it's in the boxset.

I'm anticipating that like Springsteen album documentary film it will get an individual release sometime in 2012. Bruce also debuted his film in Toronto - it was also shown on HBO.

It's also odd that no Blu-Ray version of the documentary was announced for the boxset.

Theatrical profits will be an afterthought. Maybe some money if it's licensed to TV.

It will be in the Super and Uber Deluxe Achtung Baby reissues that come out November 1st (US) / October 31st in the UK.

From the Sky Down, a documentary about the making of Achtung Baby, will open the Toronto film festival Sept. 8. It's directed by one of the world's most acclaimed documentary filmmakers, so I would love to see it.

From the Sky Down is a reference to how u2 write their songs. They basically go into the studio and piece it together from ideas or make it up as they go along the recording process . . which explains why it takes so long to produce an album.

This information was in the TIFF interview they did - 2 part series on youtube.

Anyone work in the film industry and want to enlighten us as to the current situation with marketing films. FTSD is now all over youtube for better or worse. It is great promotion for the film but many might not buy it. What is the word on how companies are approaching problems such as this. Also, would any guess what U2's stake in these films might be? How does it all work.

I believe they (U2) sold the worldwide rights to the BBC, and the BBC onsold it from there to Showtime in the US, and possibly/probably others around the world. It's only available - at least initially - in the expensive boxsets, ie hardcore fans, for whom broadcasts and online availability don't really matter. They'll watch it then, and still buy it later. So they've got three stabs at making money: The broadcast rights, the boxsets, and then at some point in the future, the standalone DVD/possible standalone legal download. And music DVD's don't actually shift a lot of units, so wrangling the extra cash from the rights up front for it's 'debut' was pretty smart. Their stake in all of this would be very high.

Back
Top Bottom