eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D'oooo, I could go for "In a Little While" at least once. (I recall the teen girl my then-age Bono brought up to sing the last part a la Edge in Boston 2001 blew everyone away in Philly on Elevation.)

rosephile, not sure if this was directed specifically at me but totally agree as I've never heard any of them live, and is a good point regardless.

Nah, I just try to see the bright side even though I like to complain. I really really would like some variety--I'm used to only like 4 songs changing but this tour is more like...either you get all the songs or minus 1-3 of the songs, maybe plus 1 different one to "make up for it". :/

I wonder how many people are bitching about the E/I setlist after they’d previously posted “If they play Acrobat, I don’t care if the rest of the setlist is In A Little While 22 times in a fucking row maaaaaaaan”

As someone who's only seen snippets of In A Little While I wouldn't mind that (ONCE).

I say they do the show as it's been and then once lights go up, some pleasant Siri-esque voice comes over the PA saying: "Thank you and we hoped you enjoyed the Experience + Innocence Tour! For those of you who are familiar with the song titles, "God Part II" and "Kite", please remain where you are for the next 15 minutes for a very special encore. Thank you, and have a wonderful evening!"

And even luckier a month later when I caught the MSG show where they did Two Hearts for the first time since Lovetown--say, Ax: at ~9343 days, shouldn't that be 4th on the "Longest Gaps" list?

Hmm, yeah, not sure why that isn't displaying on the Tour Statistics page. Matthias is the coding wizard, so I've asked him.

I mean... i still haven't seen it and it may be a hell of a show, but trying to figure out what this tight narrative is...

U2: A Musical in 10 Parts

1. Bono almost died
2. But he didn't! It's a beautiful day!
3. Bono's mom died
4. Bono's childhood was hard
5. EL-E-VA-TION!!!
6. America is bad
7. America can be good again
8. AIDS is bad
9. Love is good
10. Did I mention Bono almost died?
Fiñ

:lol:

It is, of course, mainly the atu2 crowd digging too deeply into this narrative. This summarises some of the stuff that's done the rounds on Twitter, though not quite to the extreme of "every song fits together so tightly in this narrative that you just can't turn anything else into a rotational slot or move things around" (a plain absurdity): https://www.atu2.com/news/column-off-the-record--vol-18-771.html

The ham sandie
Takes me up in the air
I'll climb, I'll climb if I smell food there
The ham sandie
With cheese is a star-crossed pair
My tummy, my tummy says "get in here!"
And I'll never know, know what starving children feel
Cause when I was broke, still found a way to scam a meal

I did enjoy it! :lol:

Fun fact: they planned to tour India in 1983 on that same War Tour leg that was meant to go to AU/NZ and ultimately only went to Japan (I think because those gigs were actually announced before the band decided they needed a rest from touring). And there was meant to be an Egyptian gig on Popmart after the Tel Aviv show to end the European leg, but it never happened.

U2 contemporaries such as Bruce Springsteen and Sting managed to put on a Human Rights Now tour that went to Zimbabwe and Cote d'Ivoire in 1988, so it has always surprised me U2 have not done anything similar. There's a fair case to be made that they do not have the fanbase in many countries to make a large concert viable, but that surely doesn't hold for places with large Western ex-pat populations or for big global cities where their music would have a presence. Hell, far more niche bands have successfully toured those places and played to massive audiences.

Wow I didn't know about that War Tour and India fact. That Springsteen and Sting tour did drop by India too.

They could easily sell out a big stadium in Mumbai. Could even do multiple cities in India as long as the ticket prices are reasonable. We're starved for big acts so the demand is high and the crowd would be great. If they decide to charge the equivalent of 200E for seated tickets though, they might have a problem.

Last edited:
I think what U2 needs to do is mount a big stadium tour in 2020-2021 for their 40th anniversary. Don't call it a "Greatest Hits" tour, but let people assume that. Similar in scope to the 360 Tour, but not such an elaborate setup. Something like the Joshua Tree 2017 stage would work better. Something that's easy to transport, and doesn't require 4-5 days for setup. Something that can be taken to places like Singapore, Dubai, Australia, India, Hawaii, Korea, Moscow, Cairo, South Africa, etc and be profitable.

Do 40 shows in US/Canada. 40 shows in Europe. 10 in Australia/NZ. 10-15 in South America/Mexico. However many can be done in Southeast Asia, Middle East, South Africa, etc. Just do one big "FUCK OFF TOUR" and visit as many places as possible.

Or, ya know... do another tour where they only hit NYC, Chicago, LA, London, Paris, Amsterdam, etc.

Yeah but 2020 is the anniversary of their 1st album, hence it’s passable to start the tour then.

It doesn’t have to be a U240
tour. Just a tour that is a little more broad in appeal. Something to draw in the casuals to fill stadiums all over the world. I like this current tour, but ignoring their biggest album and with half the set being new songs, they’re not going to get too far on that.

I see a lot of bands touring 2020. The '2020 Tour'. Has a ring to it.

And I envision U2 will play stadiums again in 2020. Will probably take a year off and then do a huge tour in 2020. Knowing what they did with the Joshua Tree Tour and always wanting to push the touring limits.....they'll probably want to outdo the 360 Tour in terms of production. If anything they could get away with a tribute to Zoo TV/AB during the show.

If they don't continue this tour, it'll probably be at least 3 years before we see them again.

Yep, I think so as well. As Edge alluded to, it seems that they’re ready for a break after this tour. Unfortunately, I don’t think they’ll hit the “other” markets until they come back with a big stadium show to take around the world.

"etc" being Tulsa, Omaha, Louisville?

Clearly it's time for the next tour to go to Baton Rouge, Knoxville, Sioux Falls, Billings, Mobile, and Lubbock. Why on earth tour Australia or New Zealand or even Europe! Waste of time when you can play to half-empty American arenas.

Clearly it's time for the next tour to go to Baton Rouge, Knoxville, Sioux Falls, Billings, Mobile, and Lubbock. Why on earth tour Australia or New Zealand or even Europe! Waste of time when you can play to half-empty American arenas.

Don't forget Reno, Spokane, Missoula, Laramie, Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Yuma, Fargo, Rapid City, Lincoln, North Platte, Topeka, Wichita Falls, Waco, Corpus Christi, Texarkana, Albuquerque, Little Rock, Joplin, Davenport, Duluth, Ft Wayne, Dayton, Flint, Kalamazoo, Biloxi, Tallahassee, Macon, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Scranton, Utica, Bangor, Montpelier, Piscataway, Dover, Chattanooga, Augusta, Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook.....just to name a few.

Sorry Aussies and the rest of the world, there's just too much pent up demand in the US.

:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom