Could Dallas have replaced The Edge if there had been only a couple dates left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cerveza said:
Could Dallas have replaced The Edge???

ummm, no.

The question is not if he should , because that is obviously a big NO. If he could :absolutely!

Most of the songs are not that difficult and the guy has been Edge his eyes and especially his ears for years now.

If the news broke out the same afternoon of the concert....
... It depends the kind of news, it might affect the rest of the band.... but lets suppose it doesn't , it's just a night outta town, but this time Edge's style.

- I believe that nowadays Edge's voice is a fundamental support for Bono's. Buenos Aires 2nd (and parts of the 1st) concert sometimes reminds me of parts of Sarajevo's 1997. Edge and the audience did a lot of the singing, Bono reserved his voice well for the parts without Edge's backing or people chanting, and performed them well.
- You have to consider whether Dallas can go through with the keyboard parts or if we would have a 5 men band, with 3 members and 2 technicians for New Year's Day.
- Also, Edge's was normally the 2nd performer of the Band (Adam is really closing the gap now, I believe), this would bring all the weight of carrying the show to Mr. teleprompter (it's funny to call him that way! :wink: (*)). Adam should be also in a great night to carry this.

I believe Adam and Larry, as they are not that big part of the stage and show visual and being not that multifunctional are more replaceable.

*: I'm so naif that just recently discover ed the teleprompter showing not only the foreign language , but also the english language speakings for Bono. And also.... WOWY lyrics! :wink:

Last edited:
and also who would replace Dallas during the show? no offence to the Bass tech but I'm guessing that Dallas does a heck of a lot more during the show (restringing, taking out guitars between each song, switching effects etc.) and therefore you would not only have Dallas replacing the Edge (which I'm sure he could pull off) but also a new guy doing tech for him which would be a much harder (relatively) thing to do.

Rich

richclarkson said:
and also who would replace Dallas during the show?

Rich

I'm sure there must be someone qualified, a junior assistant or something or they could rely on Adam's assistant or just make very slooowww show..
("Ok, wait me a 2nd, i've got to go for the other guitar, be right back....mhh...., just a minute , let me tune it a bit more")

zwervers2 said:

The question is not if he should , because that is obviously a big NO. If he could :absolutely!

Most of the songs are not that difficult and the guy has been Edge his eyes and especially his ears for years now.

Thank you zwervers2 for understanding the orginal question.

I take issue with "not that difficult." I've been playing guitar since I was 10 and I listen to recordings over and over to catch the fingerings, chords, etc. The way the Edge plays is a unique mix of music, effects and soul. His own contribution couldn't be replicated.

So I don't think U2 could use Dallas for the entire Asian tour. As for whether Dallas could replace him for one night, that's a different story. If the audience was told about it, if they were given a choice of a refund or staying, I think that would be acceptable. I'd take my money back (sorry Dallas!) but some people might prefer to stay to hear Bono, Larry and Adam.

By the way, the whole story of Adam and the Australian tour is told in U2: At the End of the World by Bill Flanagan (shout out to Bill for a delicious book!)

JCOSTER said:

no way!!!!!!:ohmy:

Yes way! A bunch of them went skinny-dipping at Bondi. They "borrowed" tablecloths from the restaurant where she worked to use as towels. There's a rumour that drink might have been involved.
You've got to read that book!

Would Dallas wear a tuque and a drawn-on goat-tee?

He could play the full show on 4-5 guitars - just be less picky about sounds.

Edge backing vox could be memorex....

I don't think they would do a gig, let alone a tour leg, without Edge - maybe Larry.

Are there any circulating audio tapes of soundchecks by crew members or a mixed band of crew/band?

u2fp

You can definately tell with certain songs its the crew and not the band. Other songs you cant tell. I think thats how it would go if Edge had a substitute as well.

Dallas is a great guitarist and an even better guitar tech. He could probably get by, but aspects of Edge being absent would be noticeable from an audio perspective.

silvrlvr said:
I take issue with "not that difficult." I've been playing guitar since I was 10 and I listen to recordings over and over to catch the fingerings, chords, etc. The way the Edge plays is a unique mix of music, effects and soul. His own contribution couldn't be replicated.

I have to agree here. It's the artistry that can't be mimicked: Edge's own unique coordination and intuition.

Would Dallas want to go onstage knowing he was second best?

dallas could play the notes & put on a show, but let's face it: the show isn't the same without Edge. in addition to his keyboard playing, there's a good deal of singing/harmonizing with the B-man that simply couldn't be replaced. pop in a video of any tour and you'll see how critical his voice is to the overall production. (as i write this, i'm thinking of the live version of WTSHNN...) i just wouldn't sound the same without him...

This thread is absolutely insensitive and callous. First of all, Adam & Larry are more "disposable?" Great, just replace them with who, two hair band rockers? Oh yeah, and Edge, if it is indeed your family with the illness, we are going on without you. Dallas, how is your health, what roadie could we get to take your place? Maybe McGuiness could step in, I'm sure his vocals would be great. There is only one guitar player, one bass player, one drummer, and one lead singer, and they are U2. You should be ashamed of yourselves, greedy and insenitive lot. Oh boo-hoo, shows got postponed so lets replace whomever to appease our greedy souls. Shame on you.:mad:

^Well said.

Another reason why Dallas could and should not have replaced The Edge: can you really see Dallas walking down the ramp, using Edge's body movements while playing, etc?

missknowitall said:
This thread is absolutely insensitive and callous. First of all, Adam & Larry are more "disposable?" Great, just replace them with who, two hair band rockers? Oh yeah, and Edge, if it is indeed your family with the illness, we are going on without you. Dallas, how is your health, what roadie could we get to take your place? Maybe McGuiness could step in, I'm sure his vocals would be great. There is only one guitar player, one bass player, one drummer, and one lead singer, and they are U2. You should be ashamed of yourselves, greedy and insenitive lot. Oh boo-hoo, shows got postponed so lets replace whomever to appease our greedy souls. Shame on you.:mad:

Let me congratulate you on a well chosen username miss know it all. Your long history (registered this month) with this forum and considerable record of participation (3 posts) certainly entitles you to judge those many members that have been here long before a company choose to make the internet available to you by stringing a wire all the way to the rock under which you reside.

It’s always a good idea to read the entire thread before you put on your suit of self righteousness. If you had spent your time reading rather than pontificating, you would have noticed several things. The thread was not started by someone who lives in the part of the world where the postponements took place. Although many fans from that region did add their comments, neither they or the thread starter ever stated that they disagreed with the band’s decision. The original topic was a fictitious scenario different from the one in which the band actually finds itself.

Please try to refrain from any future urges you may have to employ your keyboard until you are further educated. You can consider yourself educated when you make the self realization that an apology is in order for the many members your discourteous, egocentric, and pompous posting affected.

I have been reading the forum as a non-registered user for the past three years. And if you were offended by my post, screw you.

Yikes! :huh:

While I'm inclined to agree that Dallas could never replace Edge, I don't know that saying "screw you" is really appropriate. :)

I dont think anyone in this thread said Dallas should replace Edge???!! I think the thread got a tad askew from what the question was though. The question is could Dallas play in Edge's place (as in, would he be capable of doing that). The answer to that is, yes, he could play the songs. Would it be the same? Hell no! Would anyone want that to happen? Hell no! (well, except maybe Axver! :wink: ) Will it happen? Hell no!

The "screw you" was a tad out of line. :huh: I have to agree with Usamilo it really doesnt look like you read through the whole thread and understood the jest of what most were saying. :shrug:

Last edited:
Now...can we talk about Edge's replacing Bono? :wink:

For those offended: try to think about a U2's soundcheck if you've ever been or hear one. The first question that comes to your mind when looking at it is: this men sound very similar, I bet they could replace the original for one show and do it well, could they?

- As for my experience, big part of Mofo can be replaced by a tape recorder...nor wait, that's the way it's played :huh: -

The first question that comes to your mind when looking at it is: this men sound very similar, I bet they could replace the original for one show and do it well, could they?

Actually, the real question (instead of could they) is should they? :wink:

Blue Room said:
I dont think anyone in this thread said Dallas should replace Edge???!! I think the thread got a tad askew from what the question was though. The question is could Dallas play in Edge's place (as in, would he be capable of doing that). The answer to that is, yes, he could play the songs. Would it be the same? Hell no! Would anyone want that to happen? Hell no! (well, except maybe Axver! :wink: ) Will it happen? Hell no!

The "screw you" was a tad out of line. :huh: I have to agree with Usamilo it really doesnt look like you read through the whole thread and understood the jest of what most were saying. :shrug:

I agree that saying"screw you" was rude, but the original post did reference the postponements, so I don't think missknowitall was out of line for suggesting this topic might be a little insensitive considering the circumstances behind the postponements.

It is preposterous to even think Dallas could fill in for Edge for shows, no disrespect to Dallas of course. Fans want to see the Edge. U2 made the right decision to stick together and postpone. They will be back in due time just as they promised. I don't understand why fans can't just accept that simple fact and wait rather than filling the airwaves and message boards with this kind of topic.

Carek1230 said:
It is preposterous to even think Dallas could fill in for Edge for shows, no disrespect to Dallas of course. Fans want to see the Edge. U2 made the right decision to stick together and postpone. They will be back in due time just as they promised. I don't understand why fans can't just accept that simple fact and wait rather than filling the airwaves and message boards with this kind of topic.

Its a discussion board. You discuss topics, may not be a topic you like. Thats when you simply skip the thread.

I didnt take the original topic as Dallas should replace Edge at all. The question was brought about because of the postponements but that was it. Maybe some later posters in this thread implied that they should have replaced Edge. We all know they arent having Dallas substitute for Edge, the question was could they if they had wanted to.

I dont get whats happening on this board. Everyone is getting SO sensitive about everything from all angles. I was guilty of it myself for awhile. I took a few days off from it and it really helps. I think alot of people should do the same if alot of topics are offending you and you cant seem to stay away from them. :shrug: Just an idea.

I believe Dallas already admitted he can't play guitar like the Edge in the video interview from u2com.

Thank you Blue Room for the previous posts. The recent postponements had me thinking back to a concert I attended a few years back by another band. It was a different band with a different history, but for me brought up a subject that all fans must inevitably face.

A friend of mine (like Bono and The Edge) is a huge fan of The Who. The Who started as a four man band in the 60’s. Their drummer died in the late 70’s. The band continued on for awhile, but were virtually inactive for much of the 80’s. They started touring again in the late 90’s and returned to a stripped down lineup by the decades end.

I had tickets to see a show in 2002. The day before the tour began, the bassist and original band member, John Entwistle, died. Shockingly, the remaining two members recruited another bassist, rescheduled the first two dates of the tour and continued on.

The band took some criticism for launching into a tour just 4 days after the death of their bassist. Pete said that John lived to tour and John’s family urged them to go forward as a tribute to him. Pete also said that he felt canceling the tour would put a financial hardship on the many support people who had arranged their year to be on the road with them and were depending on the paycheck the tour would provide.

Upon hearing of John’s death, I never would have dreamed that I would be attending a Who concert nine days later. The show brought up a host of mixed emotions. It seemed wrong for someone else to be holding the bass. I wondered if it was respectful to be enjoying myself so close to the time of sorrow, but I was glad for the opportunity to be enjoying the camaraderie of fellow fans while mourning John’s passing. I didn’t think of the remaining two members as greedy that night. I actually thought of myself as fortunate that they chose to make themselves public during what must have been an indescribably painful time for them. Musically, I’m sure the concert was not in the top 500 in the band’s career. Emotionally, it had to be near the top.

The one thought I had more than any other at the time was that thank God nothing like this has happened to my beloved U2. I have been fortunate enough to follow a band for more than 20 years that has always been there for me. No one has died of an overdose. The lead singer and the guitarist haven’t gotten in fights that silence the band for years at a time. And none of the original members having gotten tired enough of touring to quit the band.

The original topic of discussion I started this thread with was not the real life touring crisis the band faces, but instead a slightly different set of fictional circumstances. I asked about the prospect of the band that took the stage for just a couple of shows was minus one of the four that have brought so much enjoyment to so many of us. I was only attempting to solicit the emotional responses such a fictional possibility might bring. I most definitely was not advocating the temporary replacement of a band member in the real life situation that the band finds itself in and has often been confused with the fictional set of circumstances that was the thread topic.

Maybe the question I was really asking was what happens when the unthinkable finally happens? A disagreement, a reevaluation of life’s priorities or a sudden and tragic death spells the end of U2 as we have known it for these many wonderful years. Would I want the band to end like The Beatles leaving us with only the memories of them together? Or would I want them to continue like REM or The Who with an altered lineup that stills brings enjoyment, but pales when I think of them alongside of the original?

Like all fans, I hope the current events work themselves out to the best possible conclusion. I truly believe we have yet to see the last of our boys from Dublin. I also know that someday the ride will end. That will be one hard day.

Peace

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom