BOY OH BOY WOWEE It's the 2014 AFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The game has evolved. Teams are smarter now that they've finally worked out how to kill off the old, reliable bomb it into the forward line where Big Plugger Lockett will lead into space and kick 10 or so. Changing the sport to make it easier to score goals (more cheap thrills?) is dangerous. Good coaches will always find ways to defensively outplay attacking-minded teams, and in turn, good coaches will find innovative ways to score goals. Tinkering with the rules, however gradual, is dangerous because where does it end? Do you start limiting the number of defenders in the forward 50 (netball), do you allow goals that go in off the post (football)?

If anything, revenue has increased from TV viewers, gate receipts and memberships in the past twenty years since the twin Full Forwards bagged 20 goals between them in the one game. There may be less goals, but there is still very strong fan engagement. Fans aren't walking away because the game is more defensively sophisticated.

There does seem to be a stronger sentiment among fans that they are dissatisfied with the product of late. There's been a lot of anger over the Viney decision.

haha

10256955_795384353827411_6881935767825905990_n.jpg

Viney suspended for two matches. Absolute fucking bullshit. Fuck the AFL.

Where were you when Douglas got suspended for two games for a shoulder bump? That was as much of a shitty tribunal decision, maybe not to the exact degree as this one, but still very bad.

Didn't see that one, Viney is the big publicised case. They're deliberating now on whether he gets off.

This is very sad. Not that he was jailed for assault, mind you, it sounds like that was thoroughly deserved, just how far someone so talented has fallen, and in the bigger picture, how troubled things can get in Aboriginal communities in a supposedly post-racial Australia Liam Jurrah jailed for assault

Major sympathies for Jurrah's wife and all others hurt in this case. I truly hope his situation doesn't deter other initiated people from remote communities from having the potential to participate in the big game. I don't know how anyone can say we live in a post-racial world, let alone a post-racial country, when race still dictates so much in this country, no matter how much the people in charge wish to ignore it. Anyway, football

Uggghhh. I just can't feel anything for Sydney, either positive or negative, so I wanted Hawthorn to win this. Why the hell did I tip them? Though jesus christ Buddy's just as bad on set shots as he's always been. How's he worth $10m?

I wonder what the most behinds in a game without a goal is?

Well shit. We probably shouldn't have come as close as we did, but that was frustrating.

The Buddy scoreline was hilarious though, especially before he got those two goals. :lol:

Even after that game:

Hawthorn without Buddy > Hawthorn with Buddy

Awesome game of footy. Great stuff.

Tippett looks like the superior recruit at this stage.

Buddy was better than Tippett. Might not have kicked straight but he had a pretty big influence on the contest despite the inaccuracy. And had he kicked straight the game would have been over by half time.

Even after that game:

Hawthorn without Buddy > Hawthorn with Buddy

Agreed.

I heard the first half on the radio and saw most of the last half on TV, it sounds like Sydney gave Hawthorn a lot to think about in terms of dealing with huge amounts of pressure. And of course it didn't help that Mitchell and Hodge weren't there... I hope Cyril's hammy isn't too bad.

2.7 lol

Even with the Hawks being so depleted, it's great to see that no one team is miles in front this year. The Suns will likely have the same number of wins as the Hawks by the end of next round, and that's real cute.

Buddy was better than Tippett. Might not have kicked straight but he had a pretty big influence on the contest despite the inaccuracy. And had he kicked straight the game would have been over by half time.

Tippett seemed to be in the right place when it mattered for much of the first half while Buddy couldn't even find his feet. His basic task is to kick! You can be as influential as you want around the park but you need to be able to convert it to points on the board. It's like you being great at interviews but incapable of writing a grammatically correct sentence, or me being great at finding sources but incapable of framing an argument.

The Suns will likely have the same number of wins as the Hawks by the end of next round, and that's real cute.

Haha I hope this happens. That'd be great.

Ugh, I disappeared again. Was very busy with work and moving. I'm back now, though.

NOT THAT THERE'S MUCH TO SEE!

Holy shit, that game was soooo close for the first three quarters and now Port are just blowing Freo away.

Freo are definitely down this year though.

I really am surprised by this. They just don't quite seem to have maintained their intensity, especially when key players have been missing - though perhaps part of it is that other teams have figured them out a bit better. I'm sure they'll still be top six, but premiership aspirations are fading fast, which is a real shame. I've said before that if Essendon don't take the flag this year, I want Freo to do it.

A Ross Lyon thing? It fizzled out in a similar way in his last year at the Saints?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom