Bono's Surgery and Tour Impact - Info & Discussion Here - Part 2 [update post #370]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still debating on buying the super-duper fancy edition, as vinyl and Blu-Ray are useless to me. I need to find out if the video extras are also on the regular 2-DVD version.

It sucks that this leg of the tour has been postponed but at least the news today was good news!

On the bright side, we get the 360 DVD next week (I might even indulge in the super duper delux box set thingy since I won't be vacationing) to see us through the next year and I get the feeling that when they hit the States next years it will be with quite a bang!!! :D

Yeah good point about the DVD....maybe even watch it on the 6th, although I really doubt I'll be able to wait that long :hyper:

Edge was just on the radio in L.A. atu2 Twitter:

Edge: "We're 95% confident that Bono will be back in time for our European leg."

Edge: "The doctors are saying minimum 8 weeks. We'll make sure Bono doesn't come back too soon. I'd say mid-August we'll be back."

Edge: "We wrote a lot of songs, one of them was a tune inspired by the Glastonbury Festival. People will have to wait a while to hear it."

Edge: "We have a lot of new songs and we're very excited." Then I think he hinted that they might go into the studio. Interview over.

I'm still debating on buying the super-duper fancy edition, as vinyl and Blu-Ray are useless to me. I need to find out if the video extras are also on the regular 2-DVD version.

get the blu ray, you'll eventually get a blu ray player and it'll be nice to have. i'm getting it and waiting til i bu a blu ray player

Edge: "We're 95% confident that Bono will be back in time for our European leg."

Edge: "The doctors are saying minimum 8 weeks. We'll make sure Bono doesn't come back too soon. I'd say mid-August we'll be back."

Edge: "We wrote a lot of songs, one of them was a tune inspired by the Glastonbury Festival. People will have to wait a while to hear it."

Edge: "We have a lot of new songs and we're very excited." Then I think he hinted that they might go into the studio. Interview over.

I really don't think 3 months is that much time to recover from back surgery. I don't think they want to tour that badly??? Since they have a contract with Live Nation they have to do it.

what are your thoughts about snatching up a ticket off ebay at cheap prices and either using them or trading them next year

Perhaps you missed this part:

"Joerg Tonn, the neurosurgeon treating the star, described Bono's condition as a "sudden onset disease" which caused temporary partial paralysis. The injury happened while the singer was training in preparation for the tour."

This.
sometimes, it really does happen that fast. I think if he knew he had to get something done surgically six months ago, he would have done it, knowing he couldn't get through months of touring. surgery is always a last resort, but like Indra points out, it was a sudden onset situation

I had missed that tidbit. Interesting that it wasn't necessarily just a worsening of his previous issues. It's hard to think they're not at least a little bit related though, right?

Awesome to hear from someone in the band about this. Thanks, Edge!

U2fan05, are they selling at below face value or face value? If so DO IT! But just don't be a jerk and sell them for more than face. But I think if you buy them from someone for below face and sell them at face, that's okay - but that's just me - it's between you and your conscience :wink:

the risk is that assuming live nation offers refunds, the ebay seller will most likely take it and refund your ebay purchase

:lol: I appreciate the news!

Oh wow, that's awful! Hope everything goes well for you this time.

thanks hope so too and yes its awful.
have a vacation planned to switzerland in 6 weeks and dont know yet if i can make it.
but hopefully bono will be better before the european leg and i sure will do my best for that!
it only takes ages here before you can get the MRI,sigh...

I must be the only person who is absolutely THRILLED that the shows are postponed (though I do worry about Bono - surgery is never easy and it's always a long road to recovery, but especially when you are already getting on in age).

I am going to be in Africa in June/July and I literally was JUST about to sell my Toronto tickets, but now I will hang on to them and hopefully get to see the band next year.

It sucks for everyone who made major travel plans, I do feel very bad for you. :hug:

Actually, this works out better for me, too. The shows we scheduled this time are all very close (farthest 3 hours) so I didn't even have train tickets or a hotel room yet, nothing to cancel. Phil wasn't going to be able to come after all so now with the postponement he can probably come on the new date. And maybe they will add shows...

But yes I feel terrible for Bono and all the fans with major travel complications. I'm spoiled.

This sucks, but isn't unexpected.
At least they will make the shows up next year, so there already something to look forward to!
I'm going to have a new job next year, so where ever I'm working will have to deal with me taking time off for the make-up shows in Lansing, Chicago and Jersey.

I guess my U2 summer will have to be regulated to seeing the 3D movie at the RRHoF.

Edge also said: It's so about this moment. We almost don't want to wait until we put a new CD together, but we'll see.
"We're very excited about our next project. Our question now is What's the quickest way we can get this stuff out?

Why do I picture Larry being all butt hurt that no one cared this much about his back surgery in 1996? :angry:

cos it didn't cancel a tour, honestly we all care about the band, but we (maybe rightfully) expect something in return from them

Damn, when the B-man finally gets on stage he is going to go insane. I'm sure we'll see some incredible performances. I could see this sort of thing reigniting the band in a really good way...not just on stage, but even in the studio. This will give Bono's voice probably a much needed break. Who knows, maybe he'll come back stronger than ever, and we'll get something crazy like 5th leg Vertigo. I'm just glad the doctors expect a full recovery....awesome. Get well, Bono! :)

Looking at the bright side ...

... I don't have to worry about avoiding spoilers before Seattle!

... maybe we'll luck out and get a better opening band next summer!

... maybe if SoA still comes out this year, we'll get a really different set/show next year!

... I now have more to look forward to next year!

... We can still enjoy the European shows (assuming they go on, of course) from afar!

... Bono will be (hopefully) free of back pain. A healthy Bono is a happy Bono and that means happy fans.

Personally, I feel very grateful I saw them a few times last fall, and my travel plans are only very minimally impacted. I do feel for the fans who haven't seen them on this tour yet and now have to wait another year, and those who are going to feel the pain of travel cancellations.

:hug: to all.

nice post cori . . . :hug: to everybody

Glad I got all my silliness out last night in this thread. I definitely feel more sane and sober about all this now.

Still looking at the bright side, but I'm still in Bummer City today. :(

. . . you should be given an award for that thread . . . giggled like a loon catching up on it after work yesterday . . . I'm not clever enough to do the award thing but at the very least have a brownie :D

brownies.jpg

perhaps you could auction off your two herniated disc's on e-bay to cover the ticket cost & the accompanying boo-hoo fee's to cover your pain and suffering.

:laugh: love it

dabiggestu2fan:
"I feel really bad for Bono and I wish him a very speedy recovery! I am looking at it in the possitive way in that 1. I will be able to see them again, 2. we may actually get SoA sooner rather then later, 3. Bono will be okay and 4. the shows once he comes back will be fantastic!"

Maybe they'll so excited that they'll play Acrobat :drool::drool:

oh, this

Edge also said: It's so about this moment. We almost don't want to wait until we put a new CD together, but we'll see.
"We're very excited about our next project. Our question now is What's the quickest way we can get this stuff out?

:hyper:

Official 2011 Tour T-Shirt

Since the summer 2010 dates have been postponed till 2011 due to Bono's back surgery they had to make some adjustments to the 360 Tour T-Shirts!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My boss was just telling me about when she had a herniated disk and had to have surgery, and how incredibly painful it was. I feel really sad for him. Hope he's doped up on some good meds right now.

how many different shows have been cancelled for you now, DM, Morrisey, and now U2....is that right?

:hug:

This.
sometimes, it really does happen that fast. I think if he knew he had to get something done surgically six months ago, he would have done it, knowing he couldn't get through months of touring. surgery is always a last resort, but like Indra points out, it was a sudden onset situation

it can happen really quick- I've never had anything like this, but I play quite a bit of tennis, and know from painful experience that something can just go wrong without warning- the first you know is when the pain kicks in.

in terms of the back- I was sat at work doing an email- when suddenly this pain shot right up my back- completely out of the blue- never happened before- but it hurt for 2 weeks afterwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom