Bono's Surgery and Tour Impact - Info & Discussion Here - Part 2 [update post #370]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hotwire is refunding one of my purchases. It took a lot of work and calls but they pulled through. I just don't think you should pay in full for something you are not using.

Really. :hmm: I'm going to call tomorrow and have a chat.

Sounds like Paul McG and company are in for a nightmare rescheduling this leg with MLB, there are no 10-day free blocks at any of the stadiums they need to reschedule for next year (Anaheim, Oakland, Toronto, Miami), sounds like they'll have to move venues.

someone said they are going to see Neil McCormack. Do you mean that thing at Lincoln Park? Im going too!!!!! Its like 5 minutes from my house.

Yes, at the Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center. I'd love to get my copy of Killing Bono signed if I can. I'm going alone since my friend who was supposed to come with me had to be out of town. I've been following Neil's tweets since he's been in town. He's really funny. :D

Sounds like Paul McG and company are in for a nightmare rescheduling this leg with MLB, there are no 10-day free blocks at any of the stadiums they need to reschedule for next year (Anaheim, Oakland, Toronto, Miami), sounds like they'll have to move venues.

They'll find 8-10 day blocks at those stadiums in 2011. They were booked in the later half of 2009 for 2010. MLB teams will simply be on road trips when the claw crew is in town.

The real scheduling nightmare would be the Turin and German "rain out" dates that are probably already pencilled in for October after Rome. Watch the Edge video again and see how he talks about Turin.

blue jays have moved outta town for G20, with only 4 weeks notice. anything can happen at rogers centre. they garner a higher revenue stream with U2 in town than a regular scheduled blue jays game. nuf said.

The real scheduling nightmare would be the Turin and German "rain out" dates that are probably already pencilled in for October after Rome. Watch the Edge video again and see how he talks about Turin.

When you say "rain out," do you mean you think that Bono won't be ready for those?

I've been wondering all day how much validity the rumored time-frames for next year are. U2tours is generally a really reliable site...it kinda worries me.

If the NA leg is scheduled for next April-May, I will be in my final semester of college. Which would mean I'd have to take the semester off and not graduate till December. So I really hope that the shows will end up being in the summer. My parents would make me pay for that final semester :happy:...:|

I just keep thinking about the weather issue. In the west (cities like SLC and Denver), it definitely snows through the spring. And it's cold and rainy in April on the east coast (if they were to flip the dates). So the idea of the shows being in the spring just doesn't seem logical :shrug:

Its not just a matter of sending the home team on the road, it affects every other team as well.

If the NA leg is scheduled for next April-May, I will be in my final semester of college. Which would mean I'd have to take the semester off and not graduate till December. So I really hope that the shows will end up being in the summer. My parents would make me pay for that final semester :happy:...:|

Wow...you'd really delay graduating from college to go to a couple of shows? Don't you think that's a bit extreme?

Its not just a matter of sending the home team on the road, it affects every other team as well.

But they managed it for last year and this year, with a lot less time. They have almost a full year now, and the mlb schedules for next year shouldn't be set yet. I don't see why it would suddenly become this huge problem now.

But they managed it for last year and this year, with a lot less time. They have almost a full year now, and the mlb schedules for next year shouldn't be set yet. I don't see why it would suddenly become this huge problem now.
exactly. they should be able to get in before baseball has a chance to this time around. it may just be me, but it seems a lot easier than they made it before.

Wow...you'd really delay graduating from college to go to a couple of shows? Don't you think that's a bit extreme?

Well...I missed eight days of school last fall and was able to save my GPA. But with the trip I had planned for this leg, I would miss a whole month. So I'd end up failing the semester. The prospect of this has gotten me through a lot...I'm definitely not going to say never mind because of school. It would only be one extra semester, it doesn't bother me.

I was never what you would call a serious student :reject:

Well...I missed eight days of school last fall and was able to save my GPA. But with the trip I had planned for this leg, I would miss a whole month. So I'd end up failing the semester. The prospect of this has gotten me through a lot...I'm definitely not going to say never mind because of school. It would only be one extra semester, it doesn't bother me.

If you're not a serious student, then why are you letting your parents spend thousands of dollars on a special, rare, opportunity at higher education that not everybody gets a chance at? Don't you think that's something to take seriously?

what about the financial aspect? you'd have to pay for your final semester if you saw u2. add in any expenses from seeing the 360 shows...that's a lot of money. it's not like there won't be shows in your area, couldn't you just see shows that would involve maybe missing one school day at the most? then it'd be a nice compromise: stay in school (believe me, taking a semester off is always a bad idea) but you can still see u2.

If you're not a serious student, then why are you letting your parents spend thousands of dollars on a special, rare, opportunity at higher education that not everybody gets a chance at? Don't you think that's something to take seriously?

Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant I don't put school above all else. I get it done, and I do decently. But this meant a lot to me because it was a chance to get away and see the friends I've made. So school doesn't come before a chance at what I see as a special experience.

I certainly don't want my parents to waste money. Which is why I know that if I go over my alotted four years, I will foot the bill.

I'm genuinely curious here - why is graduating a semester late always a bad idea? Maybe there are consequences or repercussions I'm not aware of, or had never thought of. :reject: Because honestly? What secretly alone is doing, I'd probably think about doing too, if I were in her position.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant I don't put school above all else. I get it done, and I do decently. But this meant a lot to me because it was a chance to get away and see the friends I've made. So school doesn't come before a chance at what I see as a special experience.

I certainly don't want my parents to waste money. Which is why I know that if I go over my alotted four years, I will foot the bill.

It's really not any of my business anyway, but your post stood out to me because I used to be an academic advisor at a state university. So, it made me put my work cap on. Sorry for meddling.

I had a boss once who followed REM around for several months on one of their tours. Actually flunked out of that college (because he just stopped going to classes instead of withdrawing for a term). When the tour was over he transferred to another school and finished up. He did just fine. And he's still doing fine.

Is your plan a bit odd? Sure! But as you accumulate responsibilities in life, your ability to do such things becomes MUCH more limited. Most people regret the things they don't do much more than the things they do.

If you really want to do it, and you can swing it, I say go for it!

I had a boss once who followed REM around for several months on one of their tours. Actually flunked out of that college (because he just stopped going to classes instead of withdrawing for a term). When the tour was over he transferred to another school and finished up. He did just fine. And he's still doing fine.

Is your plan a bit odd? Sure! But as you accumulate responsibilities in life, your ability to do such things becomes MUCH more limited. Most people regret the things they don't do much more than the things they do.

If you really want to do it, and you can swing it, I say go for it!

Yeah, that's my thought. You're only young and responsibility-free once. Take advantage of it while you can. There are pros and cons, but it seems like she's weighed them all, and decided this is most important to her.

And some people take 6 months and travel after college/uni...I'm not sure how this is any different?

I graduated a semester early so I could take 2 weeks off in the fall 2005 to see them in Boston and NY. I also skipped a few days from school to see them in Phoenix in the spring. My grades suffered a little as a result, but more notably, I didn't do an internship since I was trying to finish early and as a result it was harder to find a job.

Do I regret it? No. (But those october Boston setlists kinda make me question my decision ;) However, if you're going to delay graduating and if it's gonna cost you a lot in tuition. May I suggest just eying non midweek shows and take several shorter trips to see them rather than seeing them on consecutive cities. You can skip a class here or there if you need to. You'll pay more in flights, but you'll save that tuition money. You can study on the plane and in the GA lines.

what about the financial aspect? you'd have to pay for your final semester if you saw u2. add in any expenses from seeing the 360 shows...that's a lot of money. it's not like there won't be shows in your area, couldn't you just see shows that would involve maybe missing one school day at the most? then it'd be a nice compromise: stay in school (believe me, taking a semester off is always a bad idea) but you can still see u2.

It's really not any of my business anyway, but your post stood out to me because I used to be an academic advisor at a state university. So, it made me put my work cap on. Sorry for meddling.

^It's ok...I understand your point.

I'm willing to pay the money. My thing is...following the tour is something I've dreamed of since I was a little tween. I'm not going to be young forever, and U2 won't be touring forever. I didn't mean to sound like an irresponsible kid who waste's her parents' money. I'm not.

I'm genuinely curious here - why is graduating a semester late always a bad idea? Maybe there are consequences or repercussions I'm not aware of, or had never thought of. :reject: Because honestly? What secretly alone is doing, I'd probably think about doing too, if I were in her position.

:) A lot of people put emphasis on graduating on time...my parents included. Graduating a bi late doesn't seem like a problem to me if it's for the sake of doing something I'll never forget. That's why I'm willing to pay for the "extra time".

The thing is you were FINE with their (Priceline's) policies until they affected YOU.

If you want to be able to cancel your reservations you do not use a company that makes non-refundable bookings. I mean what part of non-refundable did you not understand?

No one screwed you over. You gambled and you lost. Period. Man up, dude.

Whatever. I won't waste my time discussing or debating with someone that is being unnessarily rude.

Of course, this is coming from someone who pulled her daughter out of high school for three weeks last tour, so she could come with me and sleep on the pavement in various cities, in GA lines, so maybe I'm not the best one to listen to. :motheroftheyear: :wink: In all fairness though, she's an excellent student, and I knew she'd have no problem catching up - and she didn't.

However, if you're going to delay graduating and if it's gonna cost you a lot in tuition. May I suggest just eying non midweek shows and take several shorter trips to see them rather than seeing them on consecutive cities. You can skip a class here or there if you need to. You'll pay more in flights, but you'll save that tuition money. You can study on the plane and in the GA lines.
this is all i'm saying. it doesn't have to be all or nothing. it isn't my life, of course, but i'm simply saying what i'd do if i were in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom