Ali Thread #12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
he's deliberately trying to provoke a reaction among the girls in pleba - doesn't that qualify as trolling?

couldn't we at least put a restraining order on him or something? :D

you're allowed to not like him, but calling him an idiot and dick isn't allowed.

and before anyone jumps on me, no i'm not ignoring what nesquick has said.

Yes, I do know this and you may not be ignoring him, but are going to do anything to stop him from trolling this forum, coz it's not just me who's getting pissed off by his rude and inappropriate comments!? :shrug:

I still think he's only here for provocation, but I apologize and will ignore him :)

Now BACK to the pictures: Ali is so beautiful, I want to have her legs when I'm that age, and I want to be able to dress like that. She's couragous to wear stuff like that, but she looks amazing and I really envy her.

Any news about Bono being in NY at the fashion shows as well?

Yes, I know and I've been trying to ignore him, but other posters keep on quoting his comments! :crack: But I shall remain quiet on the subject from now on!! :silent:

But yeah, I wonder where they are now, still in Panama or NY? :hmm:

No, we our economy is so bad that keyboards come without space bars. We'll have to ask the IMF for yet another loan to make sure keyboards are manufactured properly.

That's the one example of when you made me chuckle , but still Nesquick wins because he always makes me laugh. :lmao: Seriously some need to get a sense of humour. Humour can be different in numerous parts of the world, and according to this forum the French are among one of the world's funniest people.

he's deliberately trying to provoke a reaction among the girls in pleba - doesn't that qualify as trolling?

couldn't we at least put a restraining order on him or something? :D

No trolling is by calling someone a dick or an idiot, or bitching about members on other forums. Jokingly suggesting that Ali likes girls even though there are tons and tons of photo's of her and Bono together is clearly just a joke :)

That's the one example of when you made me chuckle , but still Nesquick wins because he always makes me laugh. :lmao: Seriously some need to get a sense of humour. Humour can be different in numerous parts of the world, and according to this forum the French are among one of the world's funniest people.

Does that mean I get a silver medal and a smaller bouquet of flowers? Dammit, if I had known I would have trained harder.

Irish people are the funniest people I know to be honest. I'm not saying this because the guys are Irish because because I truly think so. I live with one of them (not a band member unfortunately, although I wouldn't mind :wink:) and he has me in stitches all day long.

They don't take themselves seriously and have the funniest come backs ever.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response, or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

No. Not for overweight people.

oooooooooh. What a lovely comment :heart:. That's what I call trolling not going off topic or harmless witty banter. For your information I'm a UK size 8 (I think that's a US size 4) and always have been. I weigh around 8 and a half stone. I have never dieted, and I've never needn't to as I've never weighed more than 9 stone. I can eat exactly what I want and don't really have to exercise because I never over eat, and I eat a balanced healthy diet. I'm naturally rather petit, it runs in the family. I think being grossly skinny is just as vile (and perhaps even more unhealthy than being overweight). I did think the models on the website were rather tapered, but I avoided going back on here and making a rude comment. Some women are naturally tall and lack womanly curves and breasts.

My post was referring to the selection on the Edun website. I clicked on tops and there was only 1 item. There was very little of anything. Maybe it's something to do with the fact their new fashion season is not out yet. I also found the styles to be rather boring

Where exactly did feed the tree say you were the overweight one annie? They could've referred to themselves, or made a general statement just as easy.

Who's the overly sensitive one now? :eyebrow:

And it all depends on what you mean by overweight?! :shrug: Going by some BMI charts, I would be considered slightly overweight but I've found Edun's size L fits me just fine, I can even get away wearing a size M with some of the pieces, although ever since Edun's price doubled a year or so back, I've only bought a couple of t-shirts/tops. And Edun's selection seems just about the same as it ever was. I would also like to point out that Edun's sizes aren't any different from all the other high-end clothing manufactors e.g. Mango, Versace and Desigual etc.

No. Not for overweight people.

You are correct, feedthetree - EDUN has never accepted the brilliance of getting out of the skinny model clothes & making affordable fashions for the average woman.

If you're trying to reach the public and change their minds about fair trade with Africa, it makes sense to take your fashion line where the public buys their clothes - and that's certainly NOT $300 pairs of jeans that fit skinny teenagers!

Personally, I was sickened to see just how skinny (almost emaciated) this year's EDUN models were on the runway this past weekend. I know it's "the way the fashion industry is" but these young women looked like homely, scraggly, underfed waifs more than they looked like anyone that I could relate to modeling my clothes.

The designs are beautiful tho. :up:

I was looking through the current stuff last night and was more disappointing that a $300 (on sale) jacket is made primarily of acrylic and polyester. No thanks!

When I turned over Ali's web site to Edun in New York they gave me a code for merchandise and I got a bunch of stuff. I'm Dutch and we're the tallest people in the world and the jeans I picked out were actually TOO long so I gave them to my good friend (also Dutch and taller than me, at 5'7" I'm the "short" one). She's not super skinny and they look great on her. A few of the t-shirts I got were too small for me, they could have fit OK but I'm not really into tight babydoll tees so I gave them to my skinny sister and cousin. I kept two t-shirts for myself.

You are correct, feedthetree - EDUN has never accepted the brilliance of getting out of the skinny model clothes & making affordable fashions for the average woman.

If you're trying to reach the public and change their minds about fair trade with Africa, it makes sense to take your fashion line where the public buys their clothes - and that's certainly NOT $300 pairs of jeans that fit skinny teenagers!

Personally, I was sickened to see just how skinny (almost emaciated) this year's EDUN models were on the runway this past weekend. I know it's "the way the fashion industry is" but these young women looked like homely, scraggly, underfed waifs more than they looked like anyone that I could relate to modeling my clothes.

The designs are beautiful tho. :up:

as the mother of a teenage girl and seeing the kind of pressures she faces, i totally agree about the emaciated model issue - it's just not helpful for young girls at all... which is why in our house we love "Gok" because he's really taken this issue on board and works to raise self-esteem in naturally beautiful, normal weight girls...

re. the Edun clothes - i really haven't liked the few designs i've seen - saw the "Africa" themed designs recently and they just weren't beautiful or original to my eyes - was a bit disappointed and pretty surprised really...

i'm not a fashion snob or anything, because, i have to say, despite being incredibly cynical initially about the whole "celebrity does fashion" thing, i do think Victoria Beckham's lines are looking quite something - she really does have a very good eye for line/cut/design/fabrics, and i would totally wear some of VB's designs if i could afford it and if i wanted to spend that kind of money on clothes (which i never would do actually - i think that would be unethical - i couldn't rationalise/justify it in my head lol!!)

I'm not into fashion at all, I'm simply not interested in it, though I must admit I like the concept of "Edun" or similar brands. I would never buy the clothes, because I wouldn't want to spend so much money on clothes. Some of them are nice, others don't appeal to me at all. I have hardly seen a fashion line - no matter if it's the brand of a celebrity or not - where I really said: Wow, I'd wear that! I just think it's kind of out of this world. Both design and prices are something I can not relate to. I appreciate the attempt of some designers to try and design clothes for people who do not resemble ultra-skinny models (I find them horrible!), but I'm still not convinced of these clothes. I don't think I could ever be a potential client of any of these companies, including Edun. I know shops in my city where you can by ethical clothing and I'm very interested in that concept and read a lot about it. The prices are usually affordable and I'm more than willing to spend a little more on something if I know where it's coming from and how it's produced - but I have to like it, otherwise the whole ethical thing doesn't do much for me.

NO i did not mean any trolling comments toward anyone. I am a size 6 and I'm 5'5" and I've ordered quite a few things on Edun and they are ill-fitting and Ive always thought I was "Normal" sized. A few years back I ordered a couple of tee shirts and one I ordered for my little sister and ordered a size Small, and surprisingly, it fit ME, and I ordered a ONE tee shirt for myself a size LARGE and it was quite tight. Their selection now consists of see through shirts, not something a normal girl would wear if she wasn't stick thin. Glad that a few Plebers here saw that I was speaking out of experience and not calling anyone fat.

No trolling is by calling someone a dick or an idiot, or bitching about members on other forums. Jokingly suggesting that Ali likes girls even though there are tons and tons of photo's of her and Bono together is clearly just a joke :)

Thank God, someone get it! I'm not alone... I was feeling a bit like Nicole Kidman character in Dogville...

I was looking through the current stuff last night and was more disappointing that a $300 (on sale) jacket is made primarily of acrylic and polyester. No thanks!

When I turned over Ali's web site to Edun in New York they gave me a code for merchandise and I got a bunch of stuff. I'm Dutch and we're the tallest people in the world and the jeans I picked out were actually TOO long so I gave them to my good friend (also Dutch and taller than me, at 5'7" I'm the "short" one). She's not super skinny and they look great on her. A few of the t-shirts I got were too small for me, they could have fit OK but I'm not really into tight babydoll tees so I gave them to my skinny sister and cousin. I kept two t-shirts for myself.

YES! I ordered a couple pair of Edun jeans and they were very ill fitting! WAAAYYY TOOOOOOOO LONG and practically runs a size small. I laid it out on my bed and my mother came in and said, "Wow they must think the tall Africans wear these!" LOL. They were ultra skinny and not for curvy women. It was loose around my thigh area but really tight around the waist and hips. It just didn't make sense. I'm just going to stick with my Rock & Republics for now! I blame myself though, for the jeans. I know my body and I know I should always try on jeans because different types of jeans fit differently on different types of bodies. I have spent over $1000 at Edun though, I dont call myself an expert, just a fashionista. I bought the purple edun dress that Eve wore at a premiere and that black and white cotton dress that Ali wore, the purple dress was snug and didn't accentuate my curves too well. The black and white cotton dress was way big for a medium and after one wash it faded, it just hung on me like pajamas, and thats what I wore it as: pajamas or a beach attire coverup. By the way I'm a 34DD, so when I say curves, I mean BOOBS and rounded HIPS. So in a nutshell, Edun is specifically made for models: tall, thin, 32A models.

I think that's it's very mentally healthy that a group of U2 fans, who definitely love & respect Bono and Ali, can have a decent and sane discussion of one of their ventures which just doesn't seem to "fit" (no pun intended)

EDUN & ONE tees fit me fine. I've just learned to order a size larger than I normally wear. Several of the dresses that EDUN makes I could probably fit into - but the PRICE is too much.

We all know that the people who produce these clothes are paid a "fair wage" but did you know that by international trade standards that can be as little as 5% of the price that you charge for an item!

I've NEVER seen anyone speak about exactly how much the EDUN clothes producers receive for making these clothes. I also miss the EDUN LIVE tees.

Have a good day. :wink:

Yes, I agree, I'm only about 5'6", 168 cm tall, so for me too, Eduns jeans (I have a couple of pairs) are too long on the leg without high heels and I solve the problem by wearing 3 to 4 inch shoes! :wink: But I've never had any problems with the T-shirt/top sizes and I love those see through tops, I've brought a few over the years and I always wear another piece underneath (a similar colour camy) or over the top.

Just found this article about Edun latest collection

http://www.thestar.com/living/fashi...dun-new-york-fashion-week-fall-winter-2012And

hcbiggs2002, that's one of the articles that I was referring to on the previous page in this thread about the emaciated, scraggly looking models that were wearing EDUN on the runway this past weekend. That article kinda started our discussion on this page.

I think we all know by now to never beLIEve everything that you read - the truth is somewhere in between. :bono::hug:

Oh I agree, about the ultra skinny models Jamila! But do I understand why the fashion industry does it, it's coz the clothes hang better and they don't have to spend so much money on the expensive fabric for sample sizes, i.e. the skinnier the model the less fabric needed! But it really is getting to point of ridiculousness, models used to be size 4 to 2 about 15 or so years ago, now it's size 0 the size of an 8 year old girl!! Not good!!!

I think that's it's very mentally healthy that a group of U2 fans, who definitely love & respect Bono and Ali, can have a decent and sane discussion of one of their ventures which just doesn't seem to "fit" (no pun intended)

EDUN & ONE tees fit me fine. I've just learned to order a size larger than I normally wear. Several of the dresses that EDUN makes I could probably fit into - but the PRICE is too much.

We all know that the people who produce these clothes are paid a "fair wage" but did you know that by international trade standards that can be as little as 5% of the price that you charge for an item!

I've NEVER seen anyone speak about exactly how much the EDUN clothes producers receive for making these clothes. I also miss the EDUN LIVE tees.

Have a good day. :wink:

:up:

I think the clothing is very pretty. But, at my age. I couldn't pull it off. Too young of a style for me and my built.

I do have an Edun concert tee shirt. I bought it when. I saw U2 live this past summer and I love it. Very soft cotton! I also like the scarves.

418061_306266576099218_166820623377148_810982_991833288_n.jpg

430558_306258876099988_166820623377148_810967_563344644_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom