2022 subscriber gift: Achtung Baby 30 Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great version of wild horses btw. Outro was quite intense. Seemingly a lot of thought went into selecting versions

Could do with an earlier version of MW and One. Otherwise this is ok. Also my money was on So cruel from FTSD so...

I suppose we should listen to it before judging?

The version of MW is good. I watched it on YouTube, I think the gripe more has to do with structure. The slide solo at the end is epic and we'd rather have a version with that solo on it.

I still have and love CDs. I have a nice system in my basement and still enjoy opening up a new release, laying back, and combing through the booklet and reading the lyrics for the first time.

I started collecting u2 vinyl only a couple of years ago but cd is still my preference which I’ve been collecting most of my life. I don’t listen to either too often but I find cd’s a much better back up than vinyl in case anything was to go wrong with the digital files which is how I listen to music most of the time. Only a couple of years ago my laptop completely broke down and I was relieved to be able to take cd’s like u22 and from the ground up and burn them to my iTunes from my new laptop.

Can already listen to mysterious ways, it’s on u22. Mysterious ways and zoo station very lazy choices.

To be fair, I don’t think the band actually has a sit down meeting to listen to every live version for a fan gift. They have other things going on and most likely delegate this task and have very little to no involvement on these fan gifts.

I think it’s probably partly left to others to do some picking and choosing to begin with but I can’t imagine the band would let any of their music be released without giving it the all clear even if it’s just at the final stage giving the songs a quick listen. Wouldn’t be surprised if Edge alone took that task upon himself. Maybe different versions of zoo station and mysterious ways were picked which weren’t given the all clear and the easy solution was to say let’s go with stuff that’s already out there. Cedarwood road oddly was from the paris show on the SOI live disc on a subscriber set with every other song on that disc being previously unreleased and it wouldn’t surprise me again if a different version was chosen that they weren’t happy with and they chose a quick and easy replacement.

I think it’s probably partly left to others to do some picking and choosing to begin with but I can’t imagine the band would let any of their music be released without giving it the all clear even if it’s just at the final stage giving the songs a quick listen. Wouldn’t be surprised if Edge alone took that task upon himself. Maybe different versions of zoo station and mysterious ways were picked which weren’t given the all clear and the easy solution was to say let’s go with stuff that’s already out there. Cedarwood road oddly was from the paris show on the SOI live disc on a subscriber set with every other song on that disc being previously unreleased and it wouldn’t surprise me again if a different version was chosen that they weren’t happy with and they chose a quick and easy replacement.

I'd be surprised if they even have that much input. They may see the actual finished tracklist but I really think they delegate the entire thing to people that they trust won't make a decision that makes them look shitty.

Sure but eventually the buffet does close.

61523cd7a4ab212a67c2239157d70947ee1acb78.gif

I think since the announcement the inclusion of so cruel has been a bit underplayed, or specifically a supposedly more complete zoo tv version as opposed to the FTSD version or one of the shorter versions from the zoo tv tour. I’am curious as to just how complete a version it is. On u2gigs it says Bono sings the full lyrics which would make it stand out considerably compared to the other versions I mentioned. This is a song and a version that’s not only been unreleased in 30 years but never even heard before so it is a pretty big deal.

I think since the announcement the inclusion of so cruel has been a bit underplayed, or specifically a supposedly more complete zoo tv version as opposed to the FTSD version or one of the shorter versions from the zoo tv tour. I’am curious as to just how complete a version it is. On u2gigs it says Bono sings the full lyrics which would make it stand out considerably compared to the other versions I mentioned. This is a song and a version that’s not only been unreleased in 30 years but never even heard before so it is a pretty big deal.

Why focus on that when we can instead focus on shit that doesn't matter?

Does Gavin Friday not do some of the work on releases like this for the band or have I totally imagined that?

Can’t wait to hear So Cruel…

They could have chose a version of One where Bono sang all the lyrics at least. There were even plenty in 2017 where he sung it in fall. But it is a relatively brief part he let the crowd take over for so just about able to enjoy it. Love is blindness is great. That’s us got half the album now already since zoo station and mysterious ways had been previously released, looking forward to so cruel and acrobat most from the rest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom