2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
00127k4w.gif

Were we at the same gig?

Best. Reply. Ever.

:applaud:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

True.

The more I think about the Van 2nd show though, the more confused I am. I think it's the worst U2 gig I've been to. All the 8 times I've seen them before I've been totally blown away but this time something just wasn't right. The start and the SOI songs just didn't work, I even remember feeling very sad because It felt like my favourite band was dying :-(, . I'm really hoping it's just because it's the start of the tour and things will get ironed out by the Euro shows.

Sent from my SM-N910F using U2 Interference mobile app

I have to ask the same question as been already asked. Were you in the same show I was at? Because I too have been to about 8 gigs and this one was up there amongst the best! Maybe you are disappointed it's not a huge production like 360 pop mart or zoo tv? I think it was amazing and intimate!

I have to ask the same question as been already asked. Were you in the same show I was at? Because I too have been to about 8 gigs and this one was up there amongst the best! Maybe you are disappointed it's not a huge production like 360 pop mart or zoo tv? I think it was amazing and intimate!

My wife who was with me says it was the best gig she's ever been at. I probably know nothing :-S I just thought it stuttered at times which I've never had at a U2 gig.

My wife who was with me says it was the best gig she's ever been at. I probably know nothing :-S I just thought it stuttered at times which I've never had at a U2 gig.

Wow man, stuttering at times going to "the band is dying" is pretty intense...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Would have been curious how you'd have felt about the second Vancouver show if you'd been at the first. I came out of the first show saying "I loved it," but after seeing the second, in comparison the second was far better with a far better crowd (even for the new songs) and I would have described the first show as "stuttering" in a few spots (even though I still enjoyed it).

But not dying. ;)

Outside of Springsteen, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc, most bands have static setlists. The fact that U2 change it up at all is an improvement over most of their peers. ACDC make a setlist at the beginning of a tour, and they NEVER deviate from it, even if it is the 2nd show in the same city. Most bands do the obligatory 2-3 new songs, then shower is with yet another greatest hits run!

The Stones do about the same as U2, changing up a handful of tunes from night to night, but leaving most of the warhorses intact. The difference is, no other band that has been around this long is doing 8 new songs from their new album each night. I'm so glad they're still doing so many new tunes. I'm sure by the end of the tour they'll drop a few of them (if "The Troubles" hasn't already been dropped, it doesn't have much time), and there's always the chance they actually will release SOE, and they'll have to put songs from it in there somewhere. I also think "invisible" won't be around very long.

:up:

Outside of Springsteen, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc, most bands have static setlists. The fact that U2 change it up at all is an improvement over most of their peers. ACDC make a setlist at the beginning of a tour, and they NEVER deviate from it, even if it is the 2nd show in the same city. Most bands do the obligatory 2-3 new songs, then shower is with yet another greatest hits run!

The Stones do about the same as U2, changing up a handful of tunes from night to night, but leaving most of the warhorses intact. The difference is, no other band that has been around this long is doing 8 new songs from their new album each night. I'm so glad they're still doing so many new tunes. I'm sure by the end of the tour they'll drop a few of them (if "The Troubles" hasn't already been dropped, it doesn't have much time), and there's always the chance they actually will release SOE, and they'll have to put songs from it in there somewhere. I also think "invisible" won't be around very long.

Yeah i think U2 changes up theyr setlist between gigs more than say bands like Foo Fighters and Coldplay. Well actually when i come to think of it, Foo Fighters change it kinda similar to U2 and Coldplay keep theirs kinda static.

I saw Coldplay in a small venue in 2003, just as they were starting to become really popular. It was incredible.

Then with X&Y I felt like they had an agenda to be the "next U2". I saw them in a big arena, and it was very underwhelming. Instead of trying to be the "first Coldplay" they were trying to be the "next U2", and they came up very short.

True.

The more I think about the Van 2nd show though, the more confused I am. I think it's the worst U2 gig I've been to. All the 8 times I've seen them before I've been totally blown away but this time something just wasn't right. The start and the SOI songs just didn't work, I even remember feeling very sad because It felt like my favourite band was dying :-(, . I'm really hoping it's just because it's the start of the tour and things will get ironed out by the Euro shows.

I honestly think there is nothing wrong with what was said above - a personal reaction after going to a show.

It is very easy to get excited when your favorite band hits the road, but I'd say it is harder to come to a realization they are not what they used to be.

Just based on the videos I have seen of the shows (flame away) I also have to say I do not really get what they are trying to do.

It just seems illogical and boring to me to play the same songs 1/2 the show, best of stuff, every night on every tour. If they want critical and I would say fan acclaim they might not want to play Streets or some others every single night.

There are some show elements that we have seen before (I am rather shocked by some of the direct NIN rip-offs) - also trying not to list spoilers here, but come on man.

I do not think they are literally dying, but creatively I feel like going for the gold metal every tour might not be the best strategy.

After 360 they could have very easily set up a rectangular stage at the end of the arena with nothing more than white lights and a 32-song balls to the wall setlist and sold out the tour.

They chose avant garde again and now will have to make it work.

Really mixed views about this one and I think July will make my 12th show since Joshua Tree in '87.

Then again, that was their best tour. ;-)

I honestly think there is nothing wrong with what was said above - a personal reaction after going to a show.

It is very easy to get excited when your favorite band hits the road, but I'd say it is harder to come to a realization they are not what they used to be.

Just based on the videos I have seen of the shows (flame away) I also have to say I do not really get what they are trying to do.

It just seems illogical and boring to me to play the same songs 1/2 the show, best of stuff, every night on every tour. If they want critical and I would say fan acclaim they might not want to play Streets or some others every single night.

There are some show elements that we have seen before (I am rather shocked by some of the direct NIN rip-offs) - also trying not to list spoilers here, but come on man.

I do not think they are literally dying, but creatively I feel like going for the gold metal every tour might not be the best strategy.

After 360 they could have very easily set up a rectangular stage at the end of the arena with nothing more than white lights and a 32-song balls to the wall setlist and sold out the tour.

Really mixed views about this one and I think July will make my 12th show since Joshua Tree in '87.

You're living in a parallel universe. 32 songs? A friend of mine just saw DMB, used to be known for long shows. They're playing without an opener, 9 song first act, 25 min intermission then 12 with an encore. Sound familiar?

Of course you don't go to a U2 concert and expect them to be who they were! Do you live in a vacuum? We age, get over it.

And from what I've heard the SOI songs are sounding fresh and taking off quite well.

True.

The more I think about the Van 2nd show though, the more confused I am. I think it's the worst U2 gig I've been to. All the 8 times I've seen them before I've been totally blown away but this time something just wasn't right. The start and the SOI songs just didn't work, I even remember feeling very sad because It felt like my favourite band was dying :-(, . I'm really hoping it's just because it's the start of the tour and things will get ironed out by the Euro shows
Ummmm...... What? Clearly we witnessed entirely different shows. The 2nd night in Vancouver was probably the best performance by the band out of all the times I've seen them. The SOI songs are so much better than the NLOTH songs and that along makes these shows better. I did not feel anything of what you claim to feel and the guy I went with who was a U2 concert virgin said it was esily he best show he's ever seen. I sked him to be honest and not play it up for my sake and he swore that he was being honest and they were easily the best show he's ever seen. I asked him what his favourite part was and he said the first four songs in the begining. Haha. So you think the begining didn't work at all while a guy who's never been to a U2 show felt the begining was the best part fo the show. Odd. I can't for the life of me understand how you would think night 2 in Vancouver was the worst show of the 8 you've seen where as I felt it was the best of the shows I've seen.

I will admit Vancouver can't compete on the level of other places in the world as far as atmopshere goes so the experience as a whole wasn't the best but the show itself was the best one I've seen them do.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of SOI and I think the songs sound great live especially Iris as well as Cedarwood Road and Rasied By Wolves which are my two least favourites on the album. The SOI songs sound fantatsic live. Much better tha the NLOTH songs and this tour we don't have to deal with that god awful Unknown Caller destroying the set. These shows are much moe upbeat too than the last tour which I really like. Now if we could just get Discotheque to open the second half of the show we'd be laughing!

Ummmm...... What? Clearly we witnessed entirely different shows. The 2nd night in Vancouver was probably the best performance by the band out of all the times I've seen them. The SOI songs are so much better than the NLOTH songs and that along makes these shows better. I did not feel anything of what you claim to feel and the guy I went with who was a U2 concert virgin said it was esily he best show he's ever seen. I sked him to be honest and not play it up for my sake and he swore that he was being honest and they were easily the best show he's ever seen. I asked him what his favourite part was and he said the first four songs in the begining. Haha. So you think the begining didn't work at all while a guy who's never been to a U2 show felt the begining was the best part fo the show. Odd. I can't for the life of me understand how you would think night 2 in Vancouver was the worst show of the 8 you've seen where as I felt it was the best of the shows I've seen.

I will admit Vancouver can't compete on the level of other places in the world as far as atmopshere goes so the experience as a whole wasn't the best but the show itself was the best one I've seen them do.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of SOI and I think the songs sound great live especially Iris as well as Cedarwood Road and Rasied By Wolves which are my two least favourites on the album. The SOI songs sound fantatsic live. Much better tha the NLOTH songs and this tour we don't have to deal with that god awful Unknown Caller destroying the set. These shows are much moe upbeat too than the last tour which I really like. Now if we could just get Discotheque to open the second half of the show we'd be laughing!

I don't know, just what I thought. I enjoyed it but it didn't blow me away like usual. U2 are still head and shoulders above anything else I've ever seen and so was Van but apart from after the interval break, it didn't really hit home with me. Perhaps it was because I'd flown 6000miles and 20odd hours for it I was jet lagged, I don't know.

I don't know, just what I thought. I enjoyed it but it didn't blow me away like usual. U2 are still head and shoulders above anything else I've ever seen and so was Van but apart from after the interval break, it didn't really hit home with me. Perhaps it was because I'd flown 6000miles and 20odd hours for it I was jet lagged, I don't know.

That could be it or maybe you just genuinely didn't enjoy it as much as shows i the past. I know my worst U2 show ever was in Brussels on the 360 tour but to be brutally honest I don't know how muc of that was them or me. I was really hungover, Interpol was awful, seats were so far up and at the far end of the stadium.... it all contributed to me feeling it was the worst of all the U2 shows I've seen. Probably less to do with them and more to do with other factors to be fair. Maybe that's how it was for you.... or maybe not.

So hang on a second, the ones who loved it and thought it was up their with the best show they have seen only think that because they where caught up in the moment yet and haven't yet realised that the band are not what they used to be?

Wow

i can't find the exact thread, but didn't Streets top the best all-time U2 song poll in here a few years back?

"might not want to play Streets"

well, it's only one of their best bloody songs

Seems like they are playing Bad every second night right now, heres hoping they keep it for Stockholm! :D

I saw in a pic on twitter that some extra songs at the bottom included Running to Stand Still and NUMB!

I know its the same comment but really, 75/80% of people at a u2 concert are either first timers or casual fans. They want to hear songs they know and love. Unlike us, who would be fist pumping all over the place if a Gone or Discoteque or Lemon or trip through your wires or something was played but plenty of people woud be like eh? and then you'd get complaints all over the place 'they didnt play SBS or One or Streets or Pride or WOWY'

However i think one day u2 should do a fan selection concert. Choose one fan's ultimate back catalogue of favourite songs and play them to a small concert of pure 100% hardcore fans.

i'll volunteer my set list if you like :sexywink:

however i'd LOVE to see Reach me now played. What a stonking beat for a show. Perfect ender before the encore.

i can't find the exact thread, but didn't Streets top the best all-time U2 song poll in here a few years back?

"might not want to play Streets"

well, it's only one of their best bloody songs

Yes, in the Song Survivors Streets came out on top pretty much every time we've done it.

If they drop Streets, I wouldn't like it one bit.

For me, the best songs from SOI are The Troubles, Reach Me Now and Crystal Ballroom. I was basing 90% of my expectations for this tour in this songs. No need to say more.

I will just stop following the US tour, hoping that from September onward the band finally decide what they want to show the fans. Way too depressed by the same old numbers on this 4 nights. Apparently the "avant-garde" approach is only the stage itself, and I can't understand what is really the band's strategy on this tour. It's a mess.

For me, the best songs from SOI are The Troubles, Reach Me Now and Crystal Ballroom. I was basing 90% of my expectations for this tour in this songs. No need to say more.

I will just stop following the US tour, hoping that from September onward the band finally decide what they want to show the fans. Way too depressed by the same old numbers on this 4 nights. Apparently the "avant-garde" approach is only the stage itself, and I can't understand what is really the band's strategy on this tour. It's a mess.

Think the new songs they are playing sound amazing to be fair, each to their own I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom