Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall when i see people touch their face while wearing gloves grosses me out.

I’ve been doing DoorDash once a week, and know the risk involved.

Going to the grocery store is a test of my patience and aversion to the virus.

I live downtown, right in middle of huge homeless population and that’s always been a test of cleanliness as well as empathy.

I’m also trying to figure out how everyone has masks ? I’m using ski masks and ski cloths. Can’t find any on amazon or other sites.

Anyone aware of a good site to use that has good turnaround ?

Viruses don't spread through food the way bacteria does because they require a hospitable setting in order to grow. If you eat coronavirus, it typically travels through your digestive system and dies. The only way you would get COVID-19 through food delivery is if you touched packaging and then your face, but even then, the transmissibility of the virus through surfaces is increasingly coming into question.

When I get takeout, I always sanitize the packaging and wash my hands.

To be clear, some viruses are food-borne and are designed for your digestive system. Noroviruses are a big one. Cruise ship buffet, consumes food, gets ill. Same with certain hepatitis in water etc., just depends on the virus.

To be clear, some viruses are food-borne and are designed for your digestive system. Noroviruses are a big one. Cruise ship buffet, consumes food, gets ill. Same with certain hepatitis in water etc., just depends on the virus.
True. Edited my post to specify viruses of the respiratory tract.

I know that getting food delivery is a big thing right now and it helps to keep restaurants running. But is anyone else a little freaked out about this?

About a month ago, right before things got serious, I was in a restaurant and you could see into the kitchen. This guy was wearing gloves, but then rubbed his face, hair and behind his ears with his gloved hands, and then proceeded on to handle plates/food.

I left. And I haven't gotten any restaurant food since.

I could see maybe pizza, out of an oven, on a paddle, slid into box.... possibly.

But anyone else feel this way?

I only pick up take out food, and that was the case long before Covid-19. I've heard plenty of stories of shady/dirty drivers from Uber Eats/Door Dash/Grub Hub and the like. Obviously a small minority but one never knows. Stories about drivers grabbing a few fries or sipping a milk shake or worse. It's one thing when a pizza place or Chinese take out has their own delivery person, but the control on 3rd party delivery drivers is limited at best.
Like Travis said, in today's environment, we move the food to our own plates when I get back, discard the take out containers, wash up and chow down. I'm far less paranoid about catching the virus from the containers than my wife, so the precautions are more at her behest.
Been doing take out on Saturday nights since the stay at home advisory started, trying to maintain a little normalcy as its our normal night to eat out and trying to support some of our local restaurants a bit. Also gotten pizza a couple times, but I just pick stuff up.

Last edited:
I do find it odd all the glove wearing in general though. In work you use gloves for a particular singular task, like wash a patient, take some blood you then change gloves (and in the current setting with Covid patients we double glove, pair on all the time and pull on a different set over them for each task). People walking about for ages with the same pair on, you might as well just not wear them and just do good hand hygiene.

Last edited:
I do find it odd all the glove wearing in general though. In work you use gloves for a particular singular task, like wash a patient, take some blood you then change gloves (and in the current setting with Covid patients we double glove, pair on all the time and pull on a different set over them for each task). People walking about for ages with the same pair on, you might as well just not wear them and just do good hang hygiene.

Curious what the virus’s viability is on skin vs on a nitrile or latex glove.

I personally find gloves gross so I am far less likely to touch my face while wearing them. But I agree that they are meant to be single use - get your groceries in a store and trash them immediately.

I’m a curry fan. Both of the India and Thai variety.

I’ll order out for either from the 3rd parties. What i like about these places is they shrink wrap the curry. Usually tie the plastic bag too. It would be pretty obvious if someone messed with my meal on the way over.

Sundays are curry night in the kitchen. Usually have a few people over from time to time but now it’s just the dog and i. Lots of leftovers.

Where I’m at has seen a influx of people out. Weeks ago i could walk blocks without seeing more than a handful.

Now it’s difficult to avoid people walking on sidewalk

Suppose having the sun and some warmth come out after a week of grey and rain will get a lot of people out.

Overall when i see people touch their face while wearing gloves grosses me out.

I’ve been doing DoorDash once a week, and know the risk involved.

Going to the grocery store is a test of my patience and aversion to the virus.

I live downtown, right in middle of huge homeless population and that’s always been a test of cleanliness as well as empathy.

I’m also trying to figure out how everyone has masks ? I’m using ski masks and ski cloths. Can’t find any on amazon or other sites.

Anyone aware of a good site to use that has good turnaround ?

Etsy has lots of sellers selling cloth masks. I got a set of five delivered quickly. Depends upon where the seller is (which you can find out on their individual pages) and if they ship priority mail. You can machine or hand wash the cloth masks in hot water after each use.

I love Etsy anyway, and you're supporting small USA business/self employed.

Thank you. I just bought some. The ski cloth is great on the slopes, not on sunny walks.

Check out Bill Mahers take on this, I don’t agree with him very often but he is spit on with this.

https://youtu.be/dEfDwc2G2_8

China has to shoulder a lot of the blame for this. WHy are the wet markets open again? Not only are they inhumane to animals they are dangerous to humans

Last edited:
If you’re a virus whose goal is to spread, you couldn’t really design a better system to aid and abet a pandemic than these wildlife markets, particularly in urban centers in Asia. You have species that never under natural conditions would run into each other, all packed together, bodily fluids mixing, and then people come into the equation. Pathogens are meeting species that they’ve never met before. That’s when we have these opportunities for viral jumps, including the ones that lead to humans and create the situation we’re in now.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/609781/

Check out Bill Mahers take on this, I don’t agree with him very often but he is spit on with this.

https://youtu.be/dEfDwc2G2_8

China has to shoulder a lot of the blame for this. WHy are the wet markets open again? It only are they inhumane to animals they are dangerous to humans

I had an earlier post on this regarding when Biden called it the “Wuhan virus.” Then, I also made the point that tons of viruses are called by where the came from, and that’s why I have no issue with with it. My only suspicion is that Joe Biden intentionally did this in a game of politics, which is perhaps gross in its own right.

When most people call it the “China virus,” you know they’re just repeating what they hear.

But stop the car for a second. Go listen to any of Donald Trump’s audio. Go look at the dumb speeches where coronavirus is crossed out and China virus is written on it instead.

There’s zero doubt that Donald Trump tends to disparage China and effectively Chinese people. The man literally claimed he takes no responsibility for what’s going on right now. It wasn’t racist or prejudiced until Donald Trump decided to make it so. So, no, it was never racist or prejudiced to call a virus by where it’s from until now, because Donald Trump made it that way.

Also, Bill Maher can eat a dick.

I have no problem with Wuhan Flu or virus. It’s the region where it began.

I do feel bad for the Spaniards tho. Wasn’t their flu

i don't understand why exactly where the virus came from matters so much to anyone except epidemiologists. just because we called the last big one the spanish flu (where it didn't even originate) that doesn't mean that this one absolutely must be known by its origin too.

Last edited:
I had an earlier post on this regarding when Biden called it the “Wuhan virus.” Then, I also made the point that tons of viruses are called by where the came from, and that’s why I have no issue with with it. My only suspicion is that Joe Biden intentionally did this in a game of politics, which is perhaps gross in its own right.

When most people call it the “China virus,” you know they’re just repeating what they hear.

But stop the car for a second. Go listen to any of Donald Trump’s audio. Go look at the dumb speeches where coronavirus is crossed out and China virus is written on it instead.

There’s zero doubt that Donald Trump tends to disparage China and effectively Chinese people. The man literally claimed he takes no responsibility for what’s going on right now. It wasn’t racist or prejudiced until Donald Trump decided to make it so. So, no, it was never racist or prejudiced to call a virus by where it’s from until now, because Donald Trump made it that way.

Also, Bill Maher can eat a dick.
Important distinction with Donnie. He didn't call it the "China Virus", he called it the "Chinese Virus".
Racism 101.

However the cause is thought to be zoonotic transmission from the wet markets. Ok if we know (or highley suspect) that that is the cause of this pandemic and others why hasn’t China shut them down. Look NPR, the Atlantic, and Maher aren’t conservative or racists, they are being objective. The wet matkets are one inhuman and cruel to animals to include dog’s and cat’s and are a giant zoonotic Petri dish that while covid 19 is bad there are much worse viruses and diseases that can come from animals than it. However we are allowing political correctness and dislike of a President paint our reality and preventing us from looking objectively at the source and the problem.

i don't understand why exactly where the virus came from matters so much to anyone except epidemiologists. just because we called the last big one the spanish flu (where it didn't even originate) that doesn't mean that this one absolutely must be known by its origin too.

It is important we do know- if as most scientists and doctors believe it came from the wet markets ( as did SARS, Bird flu and many others) it’s important- if we know the source we can prevent a worse disease in the future.

I am not saying our response was the best - but scientists in Hong Kong were calling for the wet markets to be closed after it was proven SARS came from similar markets - yet the Chinese GVT did nothing about it - this really is 100 percent the Chinese Governments fault. I guess what really shocks me is the duplicity in some (not all) liberals - if Guns caused this many deaths and hospitalizations they would rail non stop- yet wet markets are known to cause epidemics and very few want to blame them, Michael Vick was a monster they say for dog fighting (not saying he was a good guy at all) yet dogs and cats are skinned and eaten here along with endanger animals, shark fins are traded amongst other gross affronts to our societal values and we are more worried about how trump says something and yes maybe it is racist; but does his supposed racism change any if the facts in the ground that these wet markets caused this, the Chinese GVT tried to cover it up, further took no action back in 2007 after SARS came from the same Petrie dish. Yes be upset with Trump if you want but just remember the Chinese Premier has blood on his hands.

Last edited:
It is important we do know- if as most scientists and doctors believe it came from the wet markets ( as did SARS, Bird flu and many others) it’s important- if we know the source we can prevent a worse disease in the future.

right, so like i said it very much matters to epidemiologists.

it really doesn't matter to people like you and me.

I am not saying our response was the best - but scientists in Hong Kong were calling for the wet markets to be closed after it was proven SARS came from similar markets - yet the Chinese GVT did nothing about it - this really is 100 percent the Chinese Governments fault. I guess what really shocks me is the duplicity in some (not all) liberals - if Guns caused this many deaths and hospitalizations they would rail non stop- yet wet markets are known to cause epidemics and very few want to blame them, Michael Vick was a monster they say for dog fighting (not saying he was a good guy at all) yet dogs and cats are skinned and eaten here along with endanger animals, shark fins are traded amongst other gross affronts to our societal values and we are more worried about how trump says something and yes maybe it is racist; but does his supposed racism change any if the facts in the ground that these wet markets caused this, the Chinese GVT tried to cover it up, further took no action back in 2007 after SARS came from the same Petrie dish. Yes be upset with Trump if you want but just remember the Chinese Premier has blood on his hands.

liberals should be equally mad about chinese people selling bats and tigers as they are about americans being murdered indiscriminately by gunfire, or else they're being duplicitous?

Last edited:
What facts does that change. It doesn’t change the fact it originated (or thought to have by mist scientists and doctors) in Wuhan China. Does it change the fact that China coveted it up, does it change the fact that they failed to ban wet markets after SARS came from them. Don’t let your hatred of Trump blind you to the Truth

So if you know the cause you wouldn’t want to stop it. You know mass shotings are a problem and I am sure you want guns banned. Why not this - this is a time bomb this virus could be mild compared to the next one.

liberals should be equally mad about chinese people selling bats and tigers as they are about americans being murdered indiscriminately by gunfire, or else they're being duplicitous?

If not more mad because I would argue this is more serious. I just don’t see most on the left putting the blame where it needs to be because they thinks it’s cultureally insensitive and not pc. They let there hate if Trump (who I am not a fan of BTW) cloud everything

i didn't dispute a single one of the facts you stated but okay sure, i hate donald trump so much that i'm blind to the truth that is contained in your very big brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom