Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've listened to the album about 4 times and its a grower. This is a fine album by U2. I think its the most cohesive think they've down since POP. The tone flows through the whole album with no hiccup or BS.

For me ATYCLB falls off the rails after IALW and never recovers.
HTTAAB is a bunch of great songs but it doesn't flow at all.
NLOTH takes a massive detour after Unknown Caller and has to pickup its pieces starting w/ Fez.

SOI is just cohesive. And its awesome for that. On top of that Bono & Edge are great on it. This is Bono's best lyric album since POP for me. Nothing sounds forced or contrived. And Edge using different sounds and changes during the songs is fresh of breathe air. Again, this is his finest & most interesting album since POP.

Finally, they sound refreshed. For me it sounds like U2 is just playing faster. Nothing drags on the rockers. Larry & Adam are playing like their 20 again.

Great album and I think these songs are gonna sound awesome live. 'Miracle' is gonna be a amazing opener.

Yes, I am on my 16th or so listen. And this album is CRAZY. While I liked it immediately more than Bomb and No Line, I still had to let it sink in. Make sure it wasn't just new U2 euphoria.

Well, it just seems to get better. Yet, I pity the people that have to write reviews after 1 or two listens. The layers really come out of this record.

Yesterday, I was not cool with Miracle, then I got in the car this morning turned it up and was like - Damn, its really good!

My favorites continue to be
California - really unique and layered and screams surprise hit

EBW - Just really beautiful and I LOVE Bono's delivery. Something I have been so critical of with Invisible and OL

Volcano - Just a really bad ass song. Again, a much more natural, flowing delivery from Bono. Nothing feeling forced.

RBW - LOVE the breathing sample. Very cool. A little shaky on Bonos talk-sing verse delivery. But the chorus is crazy good. Bono's voice sounds so young and sharp.

Sleep - Reminds of something from at home on Zooropa or POP. Which is just right. great lyrics. again, good vocal delivery. And damn if this isn't where the Edge pulls it OUT. Just love the guitar on this song, and that cool skittering ending. really well done.

The Troubles - Maybe my favorite U2 song since Kite. Beautifully delivered, perfect closer.

When I compare to NLOTH - Two or three great songs, a few average and rest quite poor.
HTDAAB - More consistent, but consistently average to me.

SOI - Incredibly cohesive - about 6 songs I just love, love. 3 I think are great, and 2 that are quite good, but not incredible. I just can't get TIWYCRM to click yet. And SFS is solid, but nothing too special for me.

The more I listen, the more it seems like U2 is operating in the peak form of the 90's. This album would have slotted nicely after Pop.

There is a conciseness and confident attitude in a lot of the songs. My favorite keeps changing by the day, which is a great sign. Today I really love Volcano and Cedarwood....but then I get to The Troubles and ma like :drool: C'mon, who can honestly say that song doesn't kill the closers on the last three albums??

Upon first and only listening until the CD comes along. I don't see the hype . Not sure it's better than the 00's albums just because it might be thematically stronger.

It's a bizzare mix of two halves. The opening 4 songs trying (desperately, even for U2's standards) to be accessible and then it goes dark starting with Iris. Magic is ok opener (Invisible should have gotten the job though) and California is the first peak of the album, that's how pop is done right and done good, unlike EBW and Song for Someone, good verses ruined by terribly forced choruses. The stretch from Iris to Cedarwood Road is one of their best ever. But then it sinks, most of all with utterly forgettable Sleep like a baby tonight (worst song of the album) and snooze inducing final two songs. They need more Edge and hopefully they will really go all out with DM on Songs of Experience.

If ATYCLB was a strong first half that sizzled this is a very strong middle section (Iris-C.Road) tanked by one of their worst final three songs and so-so opening (two good and two bad songs in the first four like Bomb).

Highlights : Iris, California and Volcano

Joshua Tree is now officially in the top 15!! on the US iTunes chart. Just surpassed Sam Smith. So where do you think JT will chart on the Top 200 next week?

Upon first and only listening until the CD comes along. I don't see the hype . Not sure it's better than the 00's albums just because it might be thematically stronger.

It's a bizzare mix of two halves. The opening 4 songs trying (desperately, even for U2's standards) to be accessible and then it goes dark starting with Iris. Magic is ok opener (Invisible should have gotten the job though) and California is the first peak of the album, that's how pop is done right and done good, unlike EBW and Song for Someone, good verses ruined by terribly forced choruses. The stretch from Iris to Cedarwood Road is one of their best ever. But then it sinks, most of all with utterly forgettable Sleep like a baby tonight (worst song of the album) and snooze inducing final two songs. They need more Edge and hopefully they will really go all out with DM on Songs of Experience.

a lot of people would probably disagree with you re those last three songs. You must be a younger fan, and not into the 90's stuff, because Sleep is as close to Zooropa and Pop as you'll get, and The Troubles is up there with Love is Blindess in terms of atmosphere and vibe. This Is Where....has incredible energy too.

California is a good song, but one of the more obvious attempts at mainstream pop. So can't agree with you there either. EBW is the better song.

This album has a collection of songs that are the most emotional I've ever heard from a lyrical standpoint and instrumental standpoint. Its actually quite a sad album to listen to..it sounds like a farewell album, each song talking about the progression of their lives and each song taking a piece of their last 12 albums and dispersing it throughout. I hear Boy, October, TUF, JT, R&H, AB, Zooropa, Pop etc....Its their farewell album. A double album of not hit singles but songs that could only be heard side by side.

Upon first and only listening until the CD comes along. I don't see the hype

Until the CD comes along? You think that's going to make the music better somehow? What are you listening on?

Or are you one of the 90% of the people on the internet who think they can tell the difference between high bit rate compressed music and lossless, when in fact less than 5% of the population actually can?

This album has a collection of songs that are the most emotional I've ever heard from a lyrical standpoint and instrumental standpoint. Its actually quite a sad album to listen to..it sounds like a farewell album, each song talking about the progression of their lives and each song taking a piece of their last 12 albums and dispersing it throughout. I hear Boy, October, TUF, JT, R&H, AB, Zooropa, Pop etc....Its their farewell album. A double album of not hit singles but songs that could only be heard side by side.

I agree. It has this crazy dichotomy of being both bright and energetic, but with this sort of heaviness, sadness or maybe resignation in it's undercurrent.

I am very much looking forward to Songs of Experience. Because if it turns even darker, grittier and with even more sadness, I am ALL IN. That's what I've been dying for from this band for 15 years. I'm through with the Love, Peace, save the world BS. LOL. :wink:

93.3 WMMR in Philadelphia has been playing cuts from SOI from the moment it was released. I believe they have played every song and continue to rotate the new songs between their regularly programmed tracks.

yesterday I heard "Sleep Like a Baby" while driving home

Oh how I wished I didn't live in the Southern US. A Radio hellscape

To address the Title of the thread...

This album is Superb. There really isn't a bad track on it.

After binge listening to it over the last 2 days, I would currently rank it 3rd after JT and AB.

For a band which is almost 40 years into their career, to put out music like this is virtually unheard of.

I did hear 'Raised By Wolves' on the Spectrum (XM channel 28) today.

I heard 'The Troubles' on the Spectrum yesterday evening.

Double yay! I figured that channel would be all over it. Glad they're playing stuff other than Miracle.

I want to ping the morning DJ at KEXP to play The Troubles - he's a U2 fan and will occasionally play them, and since it's got Lykke Li, I've got to give it a shot via Twitter. :)

Until the CD comes along? You think that's going to make the music better somehow? What are you listening on?

Or are you one of the 90% of the people on the internet who think they can tell the difference between high bit rate compressed music and lossless, when in fact less than 5% of the population actually can?

The CD will sound different. It will be mastered differently, so it will sound different. That's a fact. The vinyl will sound different too. I can't wait for the LP, and I'm also excited to have it in lossless on my mp3 player.

I know for a fact that I can tell the difference between lossless and 320 mp3, and most musicians can, too. That's why they hate mp3s, and most prefer vinyl. Just because some people have shitty hearing doesn't mean everyone does, and that stat you refer to has as much validity as a poll during an election campaign.

If ATYCLB was a strong first half that sizzled this is a very strong middle section (Iris-C.Road) tanked by one of their worst final three songs and so-so opening (two good and two bad songs in the first four like Bomb).

Did you listen to Ghost Stories or Songs of Innocence?

My feelings of their farewell album and how the songs send me to nostalgia.

The Miracle - sounds like Boy mixed with HTDAAB (I will follow + Vertigo)
Every Breaking Wave - sounds like ATYCLB (Walk On + Beautiful Day)
California - HTDAAB + POP (All Because of You + Staring at The Sun)
Song For Someone - POP (Last Night on Earth + Staring At The Sun)
Iris (Hold Me Close) - Achtung Baby + Zooropa (Ultraviolet + Somedays are better than others)
Volcano - Achtung Baby+Zooropa (Zooropa, Daddys Gonna Pay For Crashed Car, Even Better)
Raised By Wolves - October + TUF (Scarlet & Wire)
Cedarwood Road - Joshua Tree + HTDAAB (Bullet & Love and Peace)
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - Achtung Baby + Pop (Acrobat + Velvet Dress)
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now - NlOTH (All songs)
The Troubles - Achtung Baby + ATYCLB (One + One Step Closer)

I agree. It has this crazy dichotomy of being both bright and energetic, but with this sort of heaviness, sadness or maybe resignation in it's undercurrent.

I am very much looking forward to Songs of Experience. Because if it turns even darker, grittier and with even more sadness, I am ALL IN. That's what I've been dying for from this band for 15 years. I'm through with the Love, Peace, save the world BS. LOL. :wink:

Agree!

a lot of people would probably disagree with you re those last three songs. You must be a younger fan, and not into the 90's stuff, because Sleep is as close to Zooropa and Pop as you'll get, and The Troubles is up there with Love is Blindess in terms of atmosphere and vibe. This Is Where....has incredible energy too.

California is a good song, but one of the more obvious attempts at mainstream pop. So can't agree with you there either. EBW is the better song.

I know many like the last three songs. They do nothing for me. Different strokes, and all. Don't assume so much about age and 90's though.

It's kind of like Passengers all over again. Boring, plodding snooze-fest made all the more obvious because it follows the intensity of Volcano-Raised by wolves-Cedarwood Road run.

First thing that is wrong about EBW is the WOWY bassline all over again. Second, that awfully forced b*i*g chorus. Good verses though. Same goes for much loved - apparently - Song for someone.

I know for a fact that I can tell the difference between lossless and 320 mp3, and most musicians can, too. That's why they hate mp3s, and most prefer vinyl. Just because some people have shitty hearing doesn't mean everyone does, and that stat you refer to has as much validity as a poll during an election campaign.

If you haven't done a blind A/B test, you don't know it for a fact. You may think you do, but you don't. And you know better than to make a blank statement like this...even if you know what to look for and can tell the difference, whether you can actually spot an difference is going to be dependent on different variables, crucially the type of music being compressed.

But I'm not talking about musicians or people who listen to music for a living and know what to look for in compressed music. I'm talking about the average listener. But yes, if you can consistently tell the difference between high bit rate compressed music and a CD in a blind A/B test, congratulations, indeed you either listen to music for a living and know exactly what you're looking for, or you have hearing in the top % of people in the world. I'm not doubting that this doesn't apply to you, Hollow Island, but it doesn't to the vast majority of listeners, including those who insist they can tell the difference. And it's just not having great hearing...it's knowing what to listen for in compressed music.

The same goes for people who insist they can spot the difference between a 720p TV and an identical 1080p on, say a 42" TV from a 10' distance. Most people just can't do that, but most people will insist they can if you say "This one is higher resolution...can you tell the difference"?

It's a fairly common phenomena, and if you Google it you'll find there are countless examples of this, even among audiophiles and videophiles...people who insist they have magic ears and eyes, but when it's a genuine blind test, disappointingly, they don't.

And yes, this record has been mastered by iTunes, so your point there is well taken but any differences you hear in the mastering of the CD are going to be very, very subtle. Vinyl is of course a different story, that's analog. But my point is that listening to this on CD isn't going to transform the music, unless your objection to it is specifically with the mastering itself...and even then, the vast majority of people won't be able to tell the difference, especially on everyday home and car stereos and ear buds that the music will mostly be played on.

If you haven't done a blind A/B test, you don't know it for a fact. You may think you do, but you don't. And you know better than to make a blank statement like this...even if you know what to look for and can tell the difference, whether you can actually spot an difference is going to be dependent on different variables, crucially the type of music being compressed.

But I'm not talking about musicians or people who listen to music for a living and know what to look for in compressed music. I'm talking about the average listener. But yes, if you can consistently tell the difference between high bit rate compressed music and a CD in a blind A/B test, congratulations, indeed you either listen to music for a living and know exactly what you're looking for, or you have hearing in the top % of people in the world. I'm not doubting that this doesn't apply to you, Hollow Island, but it doesn't to the vast majority of listeners, including those who insist they can tell the difference. And it's just not having great hearing...it's knowing what to listen for in compressed music.

The same goes for people who insist they can spot the difference between a 720p TV and an identical 1080p on, say a 42" TV from a 10' distance. Most people just can't do that, but most people will insist they can if you say "This one is higher resolution...can you tell the difference"?

It's a fairly common phenomena, and if you Google it you'll find there are countless examples of this, even among audiophiles and videophiles...people who insist they have magic ears and eyes, but when it's a genuine blind test, disappointingly, they don't.

And yes, this record has been mastered by iTunes, so your point there is well taken but any differences you hear in the mastering of the CD are going to be very, very subtle. Vinyl is of course a different story, that's analog. But my point is that listening to this on CD isn't going to transform the music, unless your objection to it is specifically with the mastering itself...and even then, the vast majority of people won't be able to tell the difference, especially on everyday home and car stereos and ear buds that the music will mostly be played on.

I may as well listen to music for a living, and I also have very good hearing. There are examples of sommaliers thinking white wine died red is an excellent red wine because of the label on the bottle. I know that there are examples of people not being able to tell the difference between lossy and lossless, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who makes that claim because if I can do it, I can I say that they can't?

I can't really tell 720 from 1080, and I wouldn't say that I could. I have enough self-awareness to know that my eyes aren't very sharp, even with glasses.

Do you really think that people won't hear a difference between the itunes mp3s and a CD? It's entirely possible that the album will be compressed beyond belief and will sound just as poor, but I think that differences will be noticed it it's mastered well, even if they're just noted at a subliminal level.

Did I just now hear a Kraftwerk reference in Iris?

But it was you made me your Man Machine?

Do you really think that people won't hear a difference between the itunes mp3s and a CD? It's entirely possible that the album will be compressed beyond belief and will sound just as poor, but I think that differences will be noticed it it's mastered well, even if they're just noted at a subliminal level.

No, I don't think most people will be able to tell the difference between the iTunes files (they are AAC, not mp3) and the CD. I have no doubt people will say they can tell however..they'll thrown on the CD, and say, "wow, it sounds so much clearer". That's just how the mind works. But countless blind tests confirm that most people simply just can't tell the difference between high bit rate encoded music and the CD). Of course, the lower the bitrate you go on the compressed music, the easier it is to spot artefacts. So again, I'm talking about high bit rate files...either 256kbps AAC (which it what the iTunes store is) or 320kbps mp3's. I'm not talking about crappy 128kbps mp3's. Compression has actually gotten quite good, especially in the iTunes store. Of course, in addition to just having good ears, equipment, listening conditions, and knowing what to listen for in compressed music matters quite a bit in spotting the difference.

Of course, it's possible that the CD will be mastered so differently that the differences can easily be spotted...but that's a matter of the mastering, not whether the music is compressed. Even Bomb on the CD, which is lossless, sounds awful b/c of bad mastering. So I'll add the caveat that most of the blind tests out there are comparing a compressed rip of a CD vs. the CD itself...not the "Mastered by iTunes" files (such as the SOI ones), which are specifically mastered for iTunes from the original studio recordings, not the CD.

Anyway, don't want to derail this, so don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying you can't tell the difference, perhaps you can (though I wonder if you've ever done a genuine blind test)...I'm just saying statistically speaking, most people can't.

On the whole I like the new album, but I just can't stop playing The Troubles over & over, simply stunning song. If it was the only great tune on the album it would have been worth the wait alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom