New album: general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Project Zero 1? OK, now that's a title that actually sounds like it fits with the concept of the 360 tour.

yeah i really do like the name "Project Zero One"... very good! :up:

No way is this coming out at the end of the year. I think May is more likely. Or maybe June. This is U2 so it will come out at the last possible minute.
Think about it, they are touring May, June, July, and if the European mini-tour happens you can rule out August and September, so there will be bugger-all time to work on the album/s to get it out in time for November.
So if it's anywhere near done right now, there's absolutely NO excuse for waiting until the end of the year, when they won't be touring to promote the album/s.

NLOTH was officially announced 10 weeks before release. So if you figure a late-May release for P01, we will get some hard info early March.

I would say so - something designed to appeal and not flop, usually at the expense of creative and artistic quality.
Boots is a good example - crafted to replicate the success of vertigo. I'm glad it failed, it means they won't try something that contrived again.
Hopefully what they mean by 'u2-ish' and safe is that the songs focus on being good rather than gimmicky or ripping off something else. :up:

This is chocked full of shit...

Its a shame that if Project Zero One is really attached to this, its probably just a working title, because it is kinda great. It actually wouldn't surprise me to see the Songs of Ascent title live on. If some of the songs have, and Bono is in a similar lyrical place, and he's still a believer in the concept to some degree - no reason why it couldn't/wouldn't. I'm sure though that all of it's continuing mentions are just via lazy journalism.

But also, how cool would it be if the album was just titled U2:p01 or something. ADAM WAS RIGHT - NEW ERA. No more Really Long Album Titles That Really Annoy Everyone.

late 2011, huh? so in around September, we'll get news that the band feels that they need 3 more songs and they're aiming for mid 2012.

As of now, project01.com redirects to project01.co.uk, seemingly a website for Volkswagen enthusiasts - but it expires in May 2011.:hmm:
Code:
 Domain Name: PROJECT01.COM
   Registrar: CURIOUS NET, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.intrustdomains.com
   Referral URL: http://www.intrustdomains.com
   Name Server: NS1.INTRUSTDOMAINS.NET
   Name Server: NS2.INTRUSTDOMAINS.NET
   Updated Date: 11-may-2010
   Creation Date: 11-may-2010
   Expiration Date: 11-may-2011

Some other combinations of the words seem to be unregistered right now, however.
Did the internet detective find out anything in the other thread?
Does anyone know how you search for domains recently aquired by Universal Music Operations Limited?

No way is this coming out at the end of the year. I think May is more likely. Or maybe June. This is U2 so it will come out at the last possible minute.
Think about it, they are touring May, June, July, and if the European mini-tour happens you can rule out August and September, so there will be bugger-all time to work on the album/s to get it out in time for November.
So if it's anywhere near done right now, there's absolutely NO excuse for waiting until the end of the year, when they won't be touring to promote the album/s.

NLOTH was officially announced 10 weeks before release. So if you figure a late-May release for P01, we will get some hard info early March.

Hopefully! Looking forward to march now! :up:

everything in the French language is opposite or reverse of English, so late 2011 actually means early 2011 in English.

Babelfish would have made that correction.

"everything in the French language is opposite or reverse of English"=WRONG...WRONG....WRONG!!

I can learn u something my friend!

How French Has Influenced English
How French Has Influenced English

Les influences de la langue française dans la langue anglaise

By Laura K. Lawless, About.com Guide

See More About:

Sponsored Links

Apprendre Anglais GRATISApprends l'Anglais en ligne: facile efficace et complètement gratuit!www.busuu.com
Learn French VocabularyOnline, effective and with Fun. Try it Now Free!babbel.com
french school in franceLearn French quickly Qualified native French teacherswww.France-Langue.fr/English

French Ads Learn French French Lessons Love French Words BA English Language French to English

Sponsored Links

Study French in FranceSurrounded by vineyards in friendly winemaking town of Sancerre.www.CoeurDeFrance.com
Speak French FreeStart Speaking and Listening. Practice with Native Speakers!LiveMocha.com

The English language has been shaped by a number of other languages over the centuries, and many English speakers know that Latin and German were two of the most important. What many people don't realize is how much the French language has influenced English.

Without going into too much detail, I want to give a little bit of background about the other languages which shaped English. It was born out of the dialects of three German tribes (Angles, Jutes, and Saxons) who settled in Britain in about 450 A.D. This group of dialects forms what linguists refer to as Anglo-Saxon, and at some point this language developed into what we know as Old English. This Germanic base was influenced in varying degrees by Celtic, Latin, and Scandinavian (Old Norse) - the languages spoken by invading armies.

Bill Bryson calls the Norman conquest of 1066 the "final cataclysm [which] awaited the English language." (1) When William the Conqueror became king of England, French took over as the language of the court, administration, and culture - and stayed there for 300 years. Meanwhile, English was "demoted" to everyday, unprestigious uses. These two languages existed side by side in England with no noticeable difficulties; in fact, since English was essentially ignored by grammarians during this time, it took advantage of its lowly status to become a grammatically simpler language and, after only 70 or 80 years existing side-by-side with French, Old English segued into Middle English.

Vocabulary

During the Norman occupation, about 10,000 French words were adopted into English, some three-fourths of which are still in use today. This French vocabulary is found in every domain, from government and law to art and literature - learn some. More than a third of all English words are derived directly or indirectly from French, and it's estimated that English speakers who have never studied French already know 15,000 French words. (2) You can see 1,700 words that are identical in the two languages right here: True cognates.

Pronunciation

English pronunciation owes a lot to French as well. Whereas Old English had the unvoiced fricative sounds [f], , [θ] (as in thin), and [∫] (shin), French influence helped to distinguish their voiced counterparts [v], [z], [ð] (the), and [ʒ] (mirage), and also contributed the diphthong [ɔy] (boy). (3) (What is voiced/unvoiced/fricative?)

Grammar

Another rare but interesting remnant of French influence is in the word order of expressions like secretary general and surgeon general, where English has retained the noun + adjective word order typical in French, rather than the usual adjective + noun used in English.

Rarely happens, but i had a dream last night about the new U2 album. Even heard music as well, a few songs we're very different, would compare to Radiohead's *and forgive misspelling* Myxomotosis in the beat, but with a happier sounded chord progression, and Larry singing lead. Other songs were very clear and crisp in the production, where they weren't like Bomb in that they were meant to be big hits, but were very enjoyable and had a element of surprise to them.

I then asked Bono when the album would come out, and he said later this year or even next. I said why when they sound great and it's complete right (there were 18 songs they played)? He said they want to sit on them for a while, and release after the 360. He stated they would not tour these songs, as it's something they've never done before, just letting the music out there and see what happens.

I commented about the club album, but didn't get a clear answer.

So there you go. Too bad i can't recreate the music i heard, as i think most people would enjoy the direction in my head :)

Rarely happens, but i had a dream last night about the new U2 album. Even heard music as well, a few songs we're very different, would compare to Radiohead's *and forgive misspelling* Myxomotosis in the beat, but with a happier sounded chord progression, and Larry singing lead. Other songs were very clear and crisp in the production, where they weren't like Bomb in that they were meant to be big hits, but were very enjoyable and had a element of surprise to them.

I then asked Bono when the album would come out, and he said later this year or even next. I said why when they sound great and it's complete right (there were 18 songs they played)? He said they want to sit on them for a while, and release after the 360. He stated they would not tour these songs, as it's something they've never done before, just letting the music out there and see what happens.

I commented about the club album, but didn't get a clear answer.

So there you go. Too bad i can't recreate the music i heard, as i think most people would enjoy the direction in my head :)

Your dream previews make the songs sound kick ass :wave:
Let's hope they don't choose to sit on the songs for years though :huh:

I don't want to be a buzz kill, but is this info from the French forum sourced from anywhere? Where did they get their info from?

It also says that the DM work which they title 'Rock' is different from the 12 songs on P01.

Our sources reveal that the album Rock should be a collaboration with Danger Mouse, a project containing 12 songs so far called "Project Zero One", a remix album Club in collaboration with some artists like Will.I.AM and finally another album that contains some tracks not released by the group.

I don't want to be a buzz kill, but is this info from the French forum sourced from anywhere? Where did they get their info from?

It also says that the DM work which they title 'Rock' is different from the 12 songs on P01.

Our sources reveal that the album Rock should be a collaboration with Danger Mouse, a project containing 12 songs so far called "Project Zero One", a remix album Club in collaboration with some artists like Will.I.AM and finally another album that contains some tracks not released by the group.
I noticed that, but I assumed it was some quirk with the machine translator.

Still calling the Danger Mouse album Project Zero One because it's a kickass name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom