The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Weaver gives up 3 runs for the M's in the first?

Well, this is promising!

<sigh>

I have memories of when the M's looked like a good team! Distant memories....

Dice-K looks like he's running out of gas right now. He's had some real rough outings lately and his K's per game have dropped off a lot too or maybe teams have figured him out.

Bit of both I think. He couldn't command his fastball last night at all. A bit scary...if I were them I'd have him skip a couple of starts.

Oh and Daniel Cabrera :down: What a punk. What is everyone's fascination with throwing at Pedroia & Youkilis?

Okay, Mariners are leading the Tigers 10-5 in the 3rd. Let's see if they can somehow manage not to blow this one.

A-Rod's kind of locked in right now. Man, I hope the Yanks advance into October, cannot wait to see how A-Rod fares. He's had some decent playoff series, and some horrid ones lately.....

:shrug: it's true, what do ya want...

a-rod's a lock. wright is top 10 in average, on base, rbi, runs, steals and hits... will be .300+, 100+ rbis and runs, and a 30/30 guy, has been at his best in the second half of the season, and plays for the team with the best record in his league. what more do you want in an MVP?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
it's looking more and more every day like it's gonna be a clean new york sweep of the MVP awards...

I agree. Only thing that could disrupt this is the Brew Crew winning their division then Prince might win it. But I agree David has been just as clutch and responsible for where his team is as any other player in NY.

Mike Lowell for AL MVP. .324 average, over 100 RBI, Gold Glove-caliber defense at 3B, has been the most consistent performer in the Red Sox lineup while others went through intermittent periods of injury and/or suckage...

Oh well. I tried.

well... as great as wright has been this year, he doesn't touch the other new york third baseman... no one does. a-rod's on his own planet.

It will be interesting to see if he performs better in the playoffs this year with this monster season he is having.

speedracer said:
Mike Lowell for AL MVP. .324 average, over 100 RBI, Gold Glove-caliber defense at 3B, has been the most consistent performer in the Red Sox lineup while others went through intermittent periods of injury and/or suckage...

Oh well. I tried.
Like I stated before, had Arod not been lighting the league on fire, or had the Yanks not righted the ship and clinched a playoff berth, Lowell may well have won it, but there's no argument this year, blue lips has had a stranglehold on the MVP since Easter Sunday.

TheBrush said:
But I agree David has been just as clutch and responsible for where his team is as any other player in NY.
That might be a bit of a stretch. Without Arod, the Yanks are a .500 team at best this year. Without Wright, the Mets probably still win the NL east, just have to struggle with the "team to beat" a bit.

While I don't see a ton of Mets games I'd think Reyes might get MVP consideration...he really seems to be a big part of that offense, without him they might well be a 3rd place team. I don't think he'll win, but I wonder if he'll take votes away from Wright and open the door for Prince?

And am I the only one who likes Beckett for AL Cy Young? For me it's Beckett or Sabathia, too close to call just yet.

CTU2fan said:
And am I the only one who likes Beckett for AL Cy Young? For me it's Beckett or Sabathia, too close to call just yet.

He's definitely one to be considered, obviously. Sabathia, too. I think you have to include Wang as well now - he's come on strong lately.

reyes has been awful the last month... his average his dipped a good 15 points. he's got a ton of steals and will probably start winning gold gloves whenever omar vizquel retires, but he's not gonna get many votes this year. the mets offense certainly does go to another level when he's performing well, and this winning stretch they're on is probably one of the first times in the past two years that they've dominated with reyes in a slump, but fact is he's just not having an mvp season (unlike last year).

if the phillies had a bullpen, it would certainly be a very close race between wright and utley... but unless they somehow piece together enough to make the playoffs, i can't see him winning. prince fielder will get votes, but he's hurt because he's in milwaukee, hurt because he's in the NL central, and hurt because hes's really only up there in the power numbers... but i can certainly see him winning it, esp. if milwaukee holds on to a playoff spot.

beckett will probably take home the al cy young, but only because erik bedard plays for the orioles. the only way i see sabathia getting it is if, for whatever reason, wakefield takes a few votes away from beckett.

in the NL i'd have to imagine peavy's got it all but wrapped up.

Hewson said:
That might be a bit of a stretch. Without Arod, the Yanks are a .500 team at best this year. Without Wright, the Mets probably still win the NL east, just have to struggle with the "team to beat" a bit.

it's a gigantic stretch... wright has been great, don't get me wrong, and is a good bet for the NL MVP... but being the second best third baseman in new york is certainly not an insult, especially this season.

Speaking of "best in NY" is Derek Jeter the 3rd-best SS in New York? Actually I'm not 100% sure if ARod would still be a great SS, it's been a few years since he played there...but it's fun to pick on Captain Intangibles.

I think if Bedard didn't get hurt he'd have won the CY.

if the phillies had a bullpen, it would certainly be a very close race between wright and utley... but unless they somehow piece together enough to make the playoffs, i can't see him winning.

I agree that unless Philadelphia makes the postseason, there's no way a Phillie (be it Rollins - who is also VERY deserving - or Utley) will be getting the MVP. And Wright is definitely deserving of the award, too.

"unless they somehow piece together enough to make the playoffs"...you are aware there is something called the Wild Card, right...? :eyebrow:

DaveC said:

I agree that unless Philadelphia makes the postseason, there's no way a Phillie (be it Rollins - who is also VERY deserving - or Utley) will be getting the MVP. And Wright is definitely deserving of the award, too.

"unless they somehow piece together enough to make the playoffs"...you are aware there is something called the Wild Card, right...? :eyebrow:

yea, i've heard of it... and i don't think there's any chance philly over takes san diego. san diego has pitching and an easier schedule. philadelphia has tom gordon.

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:
Speaking of "best in NY" is Derek Jeter the 3rd-best SS in New York? Actually I'm not 100% sure if ARod would still be a great SS, it's been a few years since he played there...but it's fun to pick on Captain Intangibles.

I think if Bedard didn't get hurt he'd have won the CY.

jeter is better than reyes.

he's done it longer, he has the rings.

it's getting closer, and reyes very well probably should pass jeter in the coming years (at least as far as who's better at that particular moment), but right now? you still have to give jeter the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom