The OFFICIAL Interference POST-World Cup Thread (PART 8)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MissMaCo said:

I didn't write the article, but thanks for the intelligent response.

Funny how as anti-war as the French are (understandably), violence was condoned and admired in this case.

There's a word for that........I believe in French it would be "hypocrites"

jimmmm said:

Just a little!

I think the key is to go in with low expectations !

The 2002 debacle, the Euro 2004 nightmare, Scandal back home, some unimpressive pre-Cup games, Totti not close to back to match form (in retrospect a good thing)....

toscano said:

Funny how as anti-war as the French are (understandably), violence was condoned and admired in this case.

You're wrong toscano, my response wasn't intelligent at all.
It was directed at you so I just didn't want to make an intelligent comment to someone who expresses his/her ideas by using stupid clichés such as "Arrogant French legend".

With only 2 posts, you insulted the French people (second insult being "hypocrites".) That, on the contrary, isn't very intelligent. If you have something against France, the French people, the French sportsmen, the French food or whatever maybe you should just stay where you are and stop wandering in here.

MissMaCo said:

It was directed at you so I just didn't want to make an intelligent comment to someone who expresses his/her ideas by using stupid clichés such as "Arrogant French legend".

Did you READ the article ? If so, I'll repeat it again, those weren't my words, I was quoting the article.

MissMaCo said:

With only 2 posts, you insulted the French people (second insult being "hypocrites".) That, on the contrary, isn't very intelligent. If you have something against France, the French people, the French sportsmen, the French food or whatever maybe you should just stay where you are and stop wandering in here.

You know what, I'll just leave it. I have something against undisciplined violent footballers who violently assault their opponents because it's their last game and they know there will be no repercussions. That's cowardice too.

Read the article mon cheri, and you'll see what I'm against. As for your food, it's good but over-elaborate, your sportsmen are fine people except the divers (Henri) the violent ones (Zidane, 14 red cards, called the ref in the previous game "son of a bitch", read the article) and the sore losers (the Armstrong haters). As for the people, outside of the big cities, friendly, hospitable, charming.

As for my "wandering in here", I'll come and go as I please. Au Revoir mon cheri...

Maybe you should REALLY quote the words when they're not yours. That way it'd be clearer :up:

Please stop calling me "mon chéri". It should be "ma chérie" , but anyway, I'm not yours :happy:

toscano said:

You may not have written the article.
However it's quite clear to see why you posted it.

toscano said:

What you wrote above just really ticks me off!!
And no, I'm not French.
But that was totally unnecessary and uncalled for.
In response to MissMaCo's post.

Miringeltje said:

You may not have written the article.
However it's quite clear to see why you posted it.

What you wrote above just really ticks me off!!
And no, I'm not French.
But that was totally unnecessary and uncalled for.
In response to MissMaCo's post.

So "fuck you" doesn't bother you, but "hypocrite" does ? OK.

Why does anyone post anything really ?

I guess it's OK to say 'fuck you' because of perceived intent in posting articles ? I'll be sure to remember that !

MissMaCo said:
Maybe you should REALLY quote the words when they're not yours. That way it'd be clearer :up:

Please stop calling me "mon chéri". It should be "ma chérie" , but anyway, I'm not yours :happy:

So, did you read the article yet mon petite tresor ?

toscano said:
So "fuck you" doesn't bother you, but "hypocrite" does ? OK.

Why does anyone post anything really ?

I guess it's OK to say 'fuck you' because of perceived intent in posting articles ? I'll be sure to remember that !

Why I think you posted the article:
to get a reaction out of people
to tick them off
I almost see it as a provocation.

Why else would you post an article titled :

Selfish Zidane has fooled Fifa

Arrogant French legend has sullied his own legacy

If that wasn't your intent than please explain to me what was.
I would also like to know if you agree with what is written in the article.

And no, the use of "fuck you" doesn't bother me.
I live in the States.
"Fuck (you)" gets used a lot here.

+

At least, the "fuck you" was directed at you directly and not to Italy or all Italians.

Which brings me right to what bothers me most about your post: not only do you include a topic that has nothing to do with football (the anti war mention), but you also speak of the French as if everybody in France has the same opinion of things.
Which can never be the case.
I'm pretty certain that there are French people who have the opinion that Zidane shouldn't have reacted to whatever Materazzi said with a headbutt, that don't condone the violent behaviour.

As far as I'm concerned, you should have directed your response to MissMaCo directly.

There was no need to call all the French hypocrites.

Dude what's all that for ........ :tsk:

The cup is over , why so much of this ........ You brang back the whole discussion which was dead , and was supposed to be dead , coz the bloody thing is over ...... And not only you made some un-necessary critics , but you made some nasty racist comments , C'mon Dude ......... :eyebrow:

And I'm not goin to comment this line : "violently assault their opponents because it's their last game and they know there will be no repercussions" That was one of the most unhappy comments I've read bout the whole thing .........

Now if people came to you and asked or said that every italian were like "Mr. Matrix " , you wouldn't be happy ..... and your response may have been like MissMaCo

And you talk bout cowardice , What do you think was on Materazzi's head for example when he started offending Zidane .....

Now let's back to football discussion , for what's worth

toscano said:

secondo il regolamento FIFA sei autorizzato a rispondere con una testata :D

j/k... :wink:

I do think Zidane is making a fool out of himself, FIFA just helped him and managed to make a fool out of itself in the process. they settled a VERY dangerous precedent for the future, I don't think they'll be able to handle it
they made a "special treatment" just for Zidane (where were they when the whole Totti-Poulsen episode happened?) stating that you're allowed to hit your opponent if you get provoqued, and surprisingly get away with it!
Totti: 5 days suspension + excuses made -> Poulsen: nothing
Zidane: 3 days suspension + excuses ??? + GOLDEN BALL (???) -> Materazzi: 2 days suspension :|

Blatter, Platini... :tsk: ....in Italy we call this "due pesi due misure" :wink:

(just a thought: Zidane's sponsor -> Adidas; FFF sponsor -> Adidas; WC's sponsor -> Adidas; Golden Ball Award -> Adidas... coincidences? :confused: )

Last edited:
Guys Why exactly this discussion came over again ...........

-Italy in the end of the day didn't lose or had it's title threatened . They are still champions
-Zidane in the end of the day played better than everyone
-Does anyone except italian people , disagree that Materazzi deserved a punishment

And Finally for the sake of football and it's future I find it "nice" to not say other thing , that Materazzi's attitude got that punished , in the future the best , brilliant players don't have to worry with offences and stuff like that , only with footy , with their games .

All right , Capiche ..... Ora Andiamo con la Discussione circa del Calcio , Right .... ;)

Last edited:
sraphim said:

I do think Zidane is making a fool out of himself, FIFA just helped him and managed to make a fool out of itself in the process. they settled a VERY dangerous precedent for the future, I don't think they'll be able to handle it
they made a "special treatment" just for Zidane ...

What can they do to Zidane anyway? The silver medal and golden ball mean nothing to him - he did not even collect them. De Rossi only received a 4 game suspension and a similar fine. So I am not convinced he received special treatment.

Having Italian grandparents and an Italian background, I truly find it silly that some Italians are complaining about the Zidane sanction and calling it unfair... taking into consideration that they were given a free penalty in the round of 16 to make it through... and that, if this would not have happened, we could be talking about the biggest Italian failure of the last several World Cups.

Italians should be THANKFUL to FIFA and stop complaining...

U2@NYC said:
Having Italian grandparents and an Italian background, I truly find it silly that some Italians are complaining about the Zidane sanction and calling it unfair... taking into consideration that they were given a free penalty in the round of 16 to make it through... and that, if this would not have happened, we could be talking about the biggest Italian failure of the last several World Cups.

Italians should be THANKFUL to FIFA and stop complaining...

Zidane is a piece of crap. Materazzi is a piece of crap. Zidane being suspended doesn't matter at all since he's retired. Materazzi being suspended doesn't matter at all since Nesta is fit again. Materazzi may never get a starting spot on the team as long as Nesta and Cannavaro are healthy. So who gives a flying fuck. The only joke is Zidane keeping his Golden Shower award.

If Italy was given a free penalty to get through then France was given a free penalty in the final which almost cost Italy the WC!!!FIFA can suck my balls.

Both players got a fine, Zidane has to pay more money, "miss" more games and has to do community service. He also apologized (unlike Materazzi who has yet to reveal what he said) for what he did and said it was unacceaptable.

You know what's cowardish?
To pick the last game of a certifiable football legend and deliberately provoke him. That way you take out facing 11 players, having a captain of the other team leave and thus deal a moral blow and you just got rid of the guy that took the most penalty shots for his team. It's not just any game, it's the World Cup final and you're heading towards penalties which you had less-than-great luck with...
I can only hope Materazzi wasn't acting on orders from his coach.

U2girl said:
Both players got a fine, Zidane has to pay more money, "miss" more games and has to do community service. He also apologized (unlike Materazzi who has yet to reveal what he said) for what he did and said it was unacceaptable.

You know what's cowardish?
To pick the last game of a certifiable football legend and deliberately provoke him. That way you take out facing 11 players, having a captain of the other team leave and thus deal a moral blow and you just got rid of the guy that took the most penalty shots for his team. It's not just any game, it's the World Cup final and you're heading towards penalties which you had less-than-great luck with...
I can only hope Materazzi wasn't acting on orders from his coach.

It's obvious you don't watch Serie A soccer cause if you did than you know that Lippi is a class act all the way while Materazzi is known to be a jerk off. Even most Inter fans don't speak highly of him. But again people seem to miss the point. Let's say Zidane doesn't get sent off and takes a penalty kick. Guess what...he'd score but that's not the point. The point is Trezeguet would've still taken his kick and he still would've missed giving Italy the win. I don't see the big deal considering France played better with Zidane sent off :|

I'm just curious to see how FIFA will handle similar cases in the future, that's all... IF they will handle them. imo, Zidane had a special treatment because this is the first time the offender gets punished (what about Poulsen? he annoyed Totti though the whole game and called his mom names, yet nobody cared about what Poulsen could have said to him... how is Zidane's case any different? aside from his reaction being much more phisical? :shrug: )
what I'm saying is that FIFA acted like that just because it was Zidane, and because they had to somehow justify giving him the golden ball. IMHO

that said... we've got the cup, Zidane is retiring, we're all happy :rolleyes:

well, we all would have been happier if The Netherlands had played anywhere near their potential and would have won the cup

:up:

sraphim said:
what I'm saying is that FIFA acted like that just because it was Zidane, and because they had to somehow justify giving him the golden ball. IMHO

that said... we've got the cup, Zidane is retiring, we're all happy :rolleyes:

Sraphim , not like I wanna go back to the discussion , mia cara , but did you see ANYONE playin better than Zidane on the whole cup

BTW where was this case of Totti , was it on this cup .....

sraphim said:

Zidane had a special treatment because this is the first time the offender gets punished
FIFA acted like that just because it was Zidane, and because they had to somehow justify giving him the golden ball. IMHO

Do you need a reminder about this? A similar fine to Zidane's was given for this crap.

And why should the Golden Ball be revoked? It's not a sportsmanship award.

J_NP said:
ANYONE playin better than Zidane on the whole cup
Cannavaro? :wink:
he played great through the whole tournament and didn't go headbutting anyone :D

BTW where was this case of Totti , was it on this cup .....
no, it was Japan-Korea 2002 (a WC we don't like to talk about for obvious reasons :D )

ntalwar said:
Do you need a reminder about this? A similar fine to Zidane's was given for this crap.

I did not forget about that, but:
1) De Rossi got 5 game suspensions, Zidane only 3 (doesn't affect him much since he won't play anymore) + Golden Ball award
2) De Rossi said he was sorry almost immediately, Zidane just apologized to the children but said he didn't regret his actions (???)
3 and most important) De Rossi is 23, Zidane is 34

I'm sorry, maybe it's just because I'm Italian, but I will forever remember Zidane for that headbutt... sad ending to a great career, and the way he acted afterwards is even sadder.

Last edited:
sraphim said:

Cannavaro? :wink:
he played great through the whole tournament and didn't go headbutting anyone :D

no, it was Japan-Korea 2002 (a WC we don't like to talk about for obvious reasons :D )

1) De Rossi got 5 game suspensions, Zidane only 3 (doesn't affect him much since he won't play anymore) + Golden Ball award
2) De Rossi said he was sorry almost immediately, Zidane just apologized to the children but said he didn't regret his actions (???)
3 and most important) De Rossi is 23, Zidane is 34

I'm sorry, maybe it's just because I'm Italian, but I will forever remember Zidane for that headbutt... sad ending to a great career, and the way he acted afterwards is even sadder.

Sraphim , mia cara let's suppose you are a teacher , you got 2 students , both are inteligent , but one has tremendous potential , his intelligence is above the media , including this other 'friend' of him ..... One day this one , gets provocated , and punchs in return , Does this make him less intelligent or brilliant on the studies ....

About De Rossi , that was one of the most ugly scenes of the cup , he elbowed someone for nothing ..... He left someone Seriously bleeding ..... and that was for nothing , nothing ...... The american didn't say anything for him , no offenses ...... You just can't compare these 2 actions ...... To you understand go back to the old posts of the WC ..... on the day I said Rossi should be kicked out of the cup , coz that was not football . And that wasn't the 1st , it seems that his only skill is to hit :| I know you won't , but nonetheless , don't take this as an anti-italian footy comments , the thing is I was used to MFs like De Livio , Albertini , class players , and when I see a guy like this one today .........

And personally like I said once , if I was offended at a certain level , I would be very likely do the same reaction , and wouldn't be certainly regret the reaction , WHO WOULD ..... You would regret that you did bad for your team / country , but say u're sorry for something who called the women of your family several times of ...... ana , which in italian sounds even worse .....

sraphim said:

De Rossi got a 4 game suspension, not 5.
And the journalists vote for the award winner, not FIFA.

J_NP said:

About De Rossi , that was one of the most ugly scenes of the cup
I did not excuse him AT ALL, what he did was awful, I think it was a bad choice for Lippi to make him play since he is so young and inexpert. and btw I can assure you that in Italy he got the treatment he deserved; the press here has been pretty merciless with both him and Totti (in Italy Totti is a soccer hero to most people, we call him 'er pupone' :D ), while the French press just forgave Zidane and blamed Materazzi... honestly, do you think they (FIFA + French press) would have acted the same way if it happened the other way around? I don't think so..... Materazzi would probably be in jail :wink:
Blatter and Platini :tsk: I really hate those two... where was Blatter when he was to hand the cup over to Cannavaro? and that Platini... saying we shoulnd't even participate to the cup because of the calciopoli scandal... grrr :mad: I'm so happy we won just to prove him and all the haters wrong :madspit:

anyway, I hope De Rossi learnt from his mistake, while it is obvious Zidane will never learn since he is a repeat offender (hope I got it right, it italian we say "recidivo")... did the guy he stomped on some years ago say something bad about his sister? and what about the other guy who got his jaw smashed by a headbutt? they all said bad things about his sister? but we don't care do we... they're not Italian after all

And personally like I said once , if I was offended at a certain level , I would be very likely do the same reaction
you just don't do these kind of things on a WC final, when you get paid a fortune just to kick a ball and are a living legend to hundreds of kids. I think I woulnd't care what an opponent says to me, since he doesn't even know me nor my family... but that's just me... "Sticks and Stones Will Break My Bones, But Names Will Never Hurt Me"... don't they teach you that as a kid?? :shrug:

@ntalwar: as I said before... Adidas Golden Ball given to the biggest star sponsorized by Adidas. doesn't really matter to me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom