Random Movie Talk Part Eleventy-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been a rash of great filmmakers experimenting with long episodic mini-series length filmmaking lately. Assayas with Carlos, Haynes with Mildred Pierce, Ruiz with Mysteries, and I believe Jane Campion announced her next project would be along these same lines.

Very curious to hear what you guy think of Mysteries of Lisbon when you get a chance to acquire it. I think I posted my review here some time ago - it is stunning.

I'm sure I'll love it.

Think I'm planning to visit/re-visit a bunch of Ruiz before I dive into the Lisbon blu once I acquire it. Maybe:

Time Regained
City of Pirates
Three Crowns of a Sailor
The Lost Domain
Genealogy of a Crime
The Hypothesis of a Stolen Painting
Savage Souls
Klimt

Maybe more if I even get that far.

Very curious to hear what you guy think of Mysteries of Lisbon when you get a chance to acquire it. I think I posted my review here some time ago - it is stunning.

Yeah, like Lance said, I'm positive that I'll love it.

I aint not never seen no Ruiz before, so, there's that.

Jeez I didn't realize you'd already seen so much Ruiz, Lance.

I'd think about seeing his Treasure Island adaptation before watching Mysteries, as they seem to have some similarities thematically.

I haven't, actually. Only seen about half of those, the other half would be new for me. Not sure how many of either I'll get to before Lisbon, but I'm going to try and watch a lot more of him soon in either event.

So Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tommy Lee Jones, John Hawkes, James Spader, Tim Blake Nelson, Bruce McGill and Hal Holbrook have all joined the cast for Spielberg's Lincoln.

Yeah Lance, I get it, it's the name of the director. Clearly the man has no talent at making period dramas, or movies in general. Daniel Day-Lewis is also a terrible actor. It's doomed, Lincoln isn't even an interesting figure, oh and Kearns-Goodwin & Kushner are inept writers, yup.

Ugh, I'm rather pissed that the good theater in my area isn't showing Thor in 2D, at least this conversion isn't supposed to be headache inducing. Though I would think a lot of theaters will be forced to revert to 2D showings when Pirates of the Caribbean comes out in 2 weeks.

The sad thing is, converted 3D can actually work, but all we've gotten for the most part is cash-grab quick jobs, the scenes of HP5 & 6 and Superman Returns that were converted were awesome.

Yeah Lance, I get it, it's the name of the director. Clearly the man has no talent at making period dramas, or movies in general. Daniel Day-Lewis is also a terrible actor. It's doomed, Lincoln isn't even an interesting figure, oh and Kearns-Goodwin & Kushner are inept writers, yup.

The funny thing is that our closest comparison in El Spielbergo's filmography to this project is Amistad. Let's not assume that this is a shoo-in for greatness.

And I sure wish DDL was doing Silence with Scorsese insead of this.

Ugh, I'm rather pissed that the good theater in my area isn't showing Thor in 2D, at least this conversion isn't supposed to be headache inducing. Though I would think a lot of theaters will be forced to revert to 2D showings when Pirates of the Caribbean comes out in 2 weeks.

The sad thing is, converted 3D can actually work, but all we've gotten for the most part is cash-grab quick jobs, the scenes of HP5 & 6 and Superman Returns that were converted were awesome.

It is playing at a theater 3 miles form my house in both 3D and 2D. The 3D conversion reviews are not terrible like Clash of the Titans. But they say it really adds nothing, I will go for the 2D.

The thing that has me upset, is that Herzog's Cave is playing in 2D at one of my local art houses.
If any film has me wanting to see it in 3D, that is the film, where 3D is used to add depth and not have crap leaving the screen and flying over the first 20 rows.

It is playing at a theater 3 miles form my house in both 3D and 2D. The 3D conversion reviews are not terrible like Clash of the Titans. But they say it really adds nothing, I will go for the 2D.

The thing that has me upset, is that Herzog's Cave is playing in 2D at one of my local art houses.
If any film has me wanting to see it in 3D, that is the film, where 3D is used to add depth and not have crap leaving the screen and flying over the first 20 rows.

I feel your pain, the only theater in Boston that has Cave of Forgotten Dreams lined up has no 3D projectors. We can get converted 3D all over, but the one native project coming out gets nothing, but that probably comes from the fact that it is aimed at art houses & mot of them don't have 3D systems, this is the first example I can think of of such a filmmaker employing 3D, and definitely the first digital 3D documentary that wasn't IMAX.

That is what the reviewers on Film Week on my local NPR station said.
I saw it in 2D and it was pretty bad.
I actually enjoyed Clash of the Titans more.

For pop corn movies, Fast 5 is much more fun. I am hoping Cowboys and Aliens and Transformers will be better than Thor.

I really don't want to go to the older theater for Thor but I might for the sake of 2D, the weird thing is that both these theaters are from the same company, I don't get why they would have both at one but not at the other.

Thor felt like a possible great superhero flick that went through the cheesegrinder that is Marvel's blah approach to adapting anything. Kirk's Dad nailed it with his charisma, Loki had a great Machiavellian streak, Hopkins didn't phone it in, Natalie didn't have much to do but be the cute girl who loves science, and Stringer Bell kicked all kinds of ass.

The story had some structural issues in how it kept crossing back from Earth to Asgard, never getting a chance to develop each world fully. Perhaps it could have been saved in the editing room? Anyway, the action scenes were ably-handled, particularly the Frost Giant battle. The rest felt far too short or totally rote. Branagh's tilted compositions added some flavor to the aesthetic, and the film did have some balls in the design and conception of Asgard. Too many comic book adaptations feel bound by "realism" and the cartoonish glee to be found in parts of the film have me anxious for more fully realized depictions of a comic universe on-screen.

If Thor's the weak-link of the summer superhero quad, or hell, even the standard template for any future comic adaptation, then we're certainly in a better position than 10 years ago, ie. it's better than Raimi's first Spider-Man and Singer's X-Men.

Fast Five was pure B-level cheese and I had some fun with it. The homoerotic tension between The Rock and Vin Diesel (almost culminating in a kick-ass forearm grab like Carl Weathers and Ahnuld in Predator) could be cut with a fucking meat cleaver. That, free tickets, and a line that Tyrese has about "$11 million buying a lot of vaginal interaction" made it all worth it. Who has ever said that and actually gotten laid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom