MLB Thread menage a trois: The Stretch Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just heard some ridiculous stat: Johan Santana is 35-3 after the all star break over the past few seasons.

Congratulations to Anibal Sanchez and the Florida Marlins for their no-hitter tonight.

You may recall that Boston sent this kid over to Florida in exchange for Josh "Whiplash" Beckett. I will now drink a glass of Drano.

boston sure has traded away a lot of great young talent the past couple years to win now, yet they arent winning now.

well at least they can buy their way out of their problems this offseason.

img9643054.jpg

If only we could. Theo will probably decide that $15 million/year is too much for Barry Zito and then spend $11 million/year on Ted Lilly.

Last edited:
Looks like Beckett was the 4th best performer this year in the vaunted 4 player "Beckett deal" to which he was the premier piece at the time.
Lowell, Hanley Ramirez and Sanchez have all outperformed Joshy, of course Josh is the only one rewarded with a 10 mill per year extension.

Braves ace John Smoltz conceded unequivocally yesterday that the Mets "are a better team than us." :drool: :drool:

I've waited many years to hear something like that.

I wish he would have said "The NY Mets are my daddies"

for all the flak Marlins management receives for low payrolls and dismantling of their team in their short history, they have more championships than the "mighty braves" in recent years....they've thrown a couple of no hitters in there and have an amazing scouting group.

the mets have thrown 4 no hitters and the new york mets have never thrown one

cold pizza said that this morning

:huh:

thats what i get for getting sports news from cold pizza

nope, no no-nos for the Amazins.

Trachsel threw a one hitter a year or two back and Galvine took a no-no into the 7th or 8th as well

oooooh, now i see what i did

i accidentally typed mets twice instead of marlins in my first post

seaver had 3 no hitters broken up in the 9th inning... including a perfect game that was broken up with 1 out in the 9th inning in 1969 against the cubs

goffmet3.jpg

of course seaver would finally get a no hitter after leaving the mets... which is a common trend...

» Nolan Ryan: Mets 1966-1971, no-hitters 1973(2), 1974, 1975, 1981, 1990, 1991
» Tom Seaver: Mets 1967-1977, no-hitter 1978
» Mike Scott: Mets 1979-1982, no-hitter 1986
» Alejandro Pena: Mets 1990, combined no-hitter 1991
» Dwight Gooden: Mets 1984-1994, no-hitter 1996
» David Cone: Mets 1987-1992, no-hitter 1999
» Hideo Nomo: Mets 1998, no-hitter 2001

the mets have always had better starting pitchers than position players... it's amazing that they've still yet to throw a single no-no.

Last edited:
I saw a no-hitter in person: Kevin Millwood, while still on the Phightin's in 2003.

As much as I love Jose Reyes and think he deserves to be in the MVP conversation, I think he should have only goten a triple on that play. Matt Kemp (Think that's his name) played that ball worse than a blindfolded Manny Ramirez and then the left fielder dropped the ball. I think it should have been a triple and an error.

But that's just me.

nah way that was deffinetly an inside job... kemp got a bad break on the ball but he had no chance of catching it... and even if the left fielder handled it cleanly he head no chance of throwing out reyes. if there was a chance of throwing him out, then yea... triple and an error. but jose was already on third when he bobbled the ball on the pickup. he had noooo chance.

kemp made a much worse misplay on a ball earlier in the game... i forget who hit it, i think maybe delgado. i know he's not a centerfielder but he was awful last night, as were the "fearsome" dodgers in general.

phanan said:
Oh, and Headache, regarding your picks - thanks for the entertaining read...

:lol:

i'm glad they were so entertaining... ok, so let's go back and check out everyone's predictions from the spring training thread... to see who was close, who was out of their minds, etc. etc.

always a fun time :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
ok i bit... it's only two days into pitchers and catchers and i'm already too giddy to not do my predictions already... so here we go, let's start with the junior circut

American League

AL East
1. New York Yankees- 101-61
2. Boston Red Sox- 90-72
3. Toronto Blue Jays- 87-75
4. Baltimore Orioles- 78-84
5. Tampa Bay Devil Rays- 65-97

lookin' like a 5 for 5er here, a little high on the records for boston, toronto and baltimore, but in the right order.

AL Central
1. Cleveland Indians- 95-67
2. Chicago White Sox- 94-68
3. Minnesota Twins- 83-79
4. Detroint Tigers- 79-83
5. Kansas City Royals- 62-100

yea... uh... thanks for sucking the big one cleveland. about the only thing i got right here is the white sox will probably win in the mid 90s, and the royals will come close to 100 games. everything else was a complete clusterfuck.

AL West
1. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, San Diego, San Bernando & Tijuana- 93-69
2. Texas Rangers- 88-74
3. Oakland A's- 81-81
4. Seattle Mariners- 78-84

eh... not awful. bump up oakland to the top and leave everyone else in the same order.

National League

NL East
1. New York Mets- 95-67
2. Philadelphia Phillies- 88-74
3. Atlanta Braves- 83-79
4. Washington Nationals- 79-83
5. Florida Marlins- 60-102

on target with the mets and phillies (except more wins for the mets and less for the phills), but who woulda guessed the braves would be so terrible and the marlins would be in wild card contention

NL Central[/b]
1. St. Louis Cardinals- 92-70
2. Houston Astros- 90-72
3. Chicago Cubs- 85-77
4. Pittsburgh Pirates- 81-81
5. Milwaukee Brewers- 79-83
6. Cincinatti Reds- 70-92

was off with the reds, and the astros blow... but got the cards and frankly who cares about the rest

NL West
1. San Francisco Giants- 83-79
2. Los Angeles Dodgers- 81-81
3. San Diego Padres- 80-82
4. Arizona Diamondbacks- 77-85
5. Colorado Rockies- 70-92

why is this division even allowed to exist?

ALDS
Yankees over White Sox
Indians over Angels

NLDS
Mets over Astros
Cardinals over Giants

ALCS
Indians over Yankees

NLCS
Headache over Chizip

World Series
Mets over Indians... ok, wishful thinking, but eh, why the hell not.

lookin' ok with the mets prediction... not so hot with the tribe.

now for the award predictions...

AL MVP- Travis Hafner... .300 average, 40+ dingers, 110+ RBIs... if cleveland didn't blow he might be the leader in the clubhouse, and/or a close second behind Ortiz.

NL MVP- David Wright... close, but will probably end up 5th in the voting behind howard, pujols, beltran and reyes.

AL Cy Young- :shrug: Johan Santana... ding ding ding, we have a winner

NL Cy Young- Jason Schmidt... would be a candidate of the giants didn't suck. is there even a cy young winner in the NL? probably come down to carpenter, webb and zambrano, i guess.

AL Manager of the Year- Eric Wedge... not quite. if jim leyland doesn't win it, it's a joke.

NL Manager of the Year- Willie Randolph... i think he will win it, but my vote would go to joe girardi.

and ryan howard could turn into an ortiz-like beast.

i wouldn't exactly call beckett a sure thing...

ding ding ding

Chizip said:
It will be interesting to see how the Mets blow it again with all they talent they have bought

Chizip said:
i think delgado is gonna be another mets bust

shrmn8rpoptart said:
helton's off to a quick start, we pitched well, and danny ardoin has some pop in his bat!

i want no part of alfonso soriano... i find him to be highly over-rated.

:love:

yanks 99-63
blue jays 93-69
sawx 89-73
d rays 79-83
orioles 77-85

white sox 92-70
indians 90-72
twins 88-74
tigers 80-82
royals 74-88

a's 93-69
angels 88-74
rangers 86-76
mariners 74-88

mets 95-67
braves 90-72
phils 88-74
nats 76-86
marlins 60-102

cards 95-67
brewers 90-72
astros 88-74
reds 83-79
cubs 76-86
pirates 74-88

padres 91-71
dodgers 87-75
giants 76-86
d backs 74-88
rockies 71-91

I did decent. And if the Sawx continue their free fall, the Blue Jays will slide into second place and make me look like Buster Olney

Back
Top Bottom