MLB Thread menage a trois: The Stretch Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i do believe paulie lo duca just dropped an F bomb in the post game

nym_logobanner_primary.jpg

the AL Central race is very interesting... chicago is all but dead, but whoever ends up losing out on the AL Central crown is gonna get the yankees (home field advantage belonging to new york), as opposed to oakland (home field advantage belonging most likely to the central winner)

and the team that's likely to decide the AL Central crown? those pesky kansas city royals... minnesota plays KC 4 times, detroit plays 'em 6 times.

Chizip said:
mlb_nomar_412.jpg

what a game

I turned this off in the top of the 9th with the Pads leading 9-5. I went to bed disgusted thinking that my Dodgers had just had the life taken out of them. My son woke me up this morning and said "how'd the Dodgers do?" I told him they had lost by at least 9-5 but it might be worse.

For some reason I turned on SportsCenter (something I rarely do when the Dodgers lose) and I heard the announcer say something about "the miracle at Chavez Ravine". I figured he meant the fact that the Padres had only lost one game all year at Dodger Stadium...boy was I wrong.

What a game!!!! And I missed the end of it!!!! You know what? I DON'T CARE!!! :rockon:

You guys are absorbed in your East Coast bias. The A's are th real-deal! I've been going to their games since I was a little kid. Look west!!!

East Bay Fan said:
You guys are absorbed in your East Coast bias. The A's are th real-deal! I've been going to their games since I was a little kid. Look west!!!

the a's have been the "real deal" for some time now, yet they seem to be absorbed in their getting out of the first round bias.

it's not east coast bias... it's playoff track record.

Last edited:
East Bay Fan said:

If only you had Bob Welsh and Dave Stewart again.

and the Bash Brothers.

Dave Stewart was my favorite player with the A's back then. I know that the A's have looked awful in the playoffs in recent yesars, but I think that the addition of sevral key veterans, especially Frank Thomas could make this post-season history.

Regardless, congrats on the Mets.

Dalton said:

My family and friends are big Cubs fans, so I root for them, but I am a Tigers season ticket holder (I split them with my brother - that's why we had to buy some more tickets. I just like saying Tigers Playoff tickets).

i guess it's better than claming to be a fan of the colts, redskins, vikings, oilers, argaunauts, dragons and the frankfurt galaxy.

Let's put it this way, in 2003 I went to over 20 tiger home games (I live 2.5 hours away) and saw them win twice.

I give Chizp a hard time because I hate the Cards almost as much as I hate the White Sox.

But I hate no team (in any sport) the way I hate the Twins. I hope we beat them for the division AND take them out in the ALCS.

"Take 1987 and stick it up your ass, minnesotta," said Matt Nokes.

Dalton said:

"Take 1987 and stick it up your ass, minnesotta," said Matt Nokes.

I bet Matty could spell Minnesota though! ;)

after his stint in the majors, he played for the St. Paul Saints (independent Northern League) down the street from the Metrodome.

There's a long article on Alex Rodriguez in SI here. Excerpt:

The players' confidence in Rodriguez was eroding as they sensed that he did not understand how much his on-field struggles were hurting the club. Said one Yankees veteran, "It was always about the numbers in [Seattle and Texas] for him. And that doesn't matter here. Winning is all you're judged on here."

Before Giambi went to Torre, he had scolded Rodriguez after a 13-5 win in Boston on Aug. 19. Irked that Rodriguez left four runners on base in the first three innings against a shaky Josh Beckett, Giambi thought A-Rod needed to be challenged. "We're all rooting for you and we're behind you 100 percent," Giambi recalls telling Rodriguez, "but you've got to get the big hit."

"What do you mean?" was Rodriguez's response, according to Giambi. "I've had five hits in Boston."

"You f------ call those hits?" Giambi said. "You had two f------ dinkers to rightfield and a ball that bounced over the third baseman! Look at how many pitches you missed!

"When you hit three, four or five [in the order], you have to get the big hits, especially if they're going to walk Bobby [Abreu] and me. I'll help you out until you get going. I'll look to drive in runs when they pitch around me, go after that 3-and-1 pitch that might be a ball. But if they're going to walk Bobby and me, you're going to have to be the guy."

Rough night for Jimmie Foxx last night.

Tied for the Red Sox single season HR record by David Ortiz and passed by Barry Bonds on the all time RBI list.

Back
Top Bottom