Interference World Cup thread #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
haha, Headache! Hi by the way! :wave:

Woohoo! Ghana is through! I'm so happy for them! All of Ghana got half a day off to watch the big match. I really want African teams to do well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is only the 2nd time that an African team goes to the second round (only other time being Cameroon in 1990)

Very entertaining matches to decide Group E.

Italy dispatched the Czechs with their usual efficiency. Scored first and very hard to score against. Plus, that red card helped them quite a bit. They also avoided Brazil in the next round.

Ghana played an entertaining match. However, that penalty was a ripoff. And this German is supposed to be one of the best referees around. What a lousy call! And with terrible timing for the U.S. (right at the end of the first half). Good for Ghana. However, playing Brazil without Essien their first match pretty much means the end of the road for them. Still, impressive play (particularly against the Czechs).

U2Man said:

Oh snap!

You know perfectly well how you would react if England had delivered the same kind of lazy performance. Oh wait, they did.....

Seriously, every single game should be a win-or-lose thing at the World Cup. Teams shouldn't even consider sparing their best players in any game.

Any news on the DVD?

And this is why the Danes have won so many World Cups and are performing so well in this one... :wink:

Teams should consider sparing players, particularly when they have already made it, when the other team is also sparing players and when the two possible rivals are of similar difficulty, and when you are playing again in 3 days. This is exactly what Argentina did and I think it was the right call.

Hmmm, what DVD? :huh:

the rockin edge said:
i'm glad an african team got through :up:

i was just watching the Gha vs USA game....did Italy play well?

They played with the usual Italian efficiency. Scored quickly and then defended well. The match was over after a Czech got sent off at the end of the first half. Italy should go far, they always seem to have this magic recipe.

Yes, and although Italy usually struggle to make it out of the groups, they usually do quite well in the following rounds (the only other time the Italians didn't make it to the 2nd round was the last time they played in Germany).

U2@NYC said:

And this is why the Danes have won so many World Cups and are performing so well in this one... :wink:

Teams should consider sparing players, particularly when they have already made it, when the other team is also sparing players and when the two possible rivals are of similar difficulty, and when you are playing again in 3 days. This is exactly what Argentina did and I think it was the right call.

Hmmm, what DVD? :huh:

Yes, of course. From their perspective and as long as the tournament is structured the way it is, the coaches should do what they're doing from a professional point of view. But my comment was directed against that exact structure. Every match should be worth winning. Having 2 teams on the field, neither of them really wanting to win anything, will always entail an extremely boring game.

Now, don't get me started about Denmark. Denmark has qualified for 3 out of the last 5 World Cups, I believe. We've made it to the 1/8 and to the 1/4 finals each time. That's actually quite good for such a small country.

THAT DVD, Pablo :drool:

(and we can talk about it in here because she doesn't go in here :shh: )

U2Man said:

Yes, of course. From their perspective and as long as the tournament is structured the way it is, the coaches should do what they're doing from a professional point of view. But my comment was directed against that exact structure. Every match should be worth winning. Having 2 teams on the field, neither of them really wanting to win anything, will always entail an extremely boring game.

Now, don't get me started about Denmark. Denmark has qualified for 3 out of the last 5 World Cups, I believe. We've made it to the 1/8 and to the 1/4 finals each time. That's actually quite good for such a small country.

THAT DVD, Pablo :drool:

(and we can talk about it in here because she doesn't go in here :shh: )

True, but, as many coaches say, this is a 7-match tournament... and your fans are not going to care whether you saved your starters or entertained them if you are lifting the WC on July 9th... :drool:

Oh, THAT DVD. :D I have actually been trying to find the main actress for a while... as she seems to be completely missing from the face of the Earth. Maybe she found another director willing to do more complicated scenes? :hmm:

U2@NYC said:

True, but, as many coaches say, this is a 7-match tournament... and your fans are not going to care whether you saved your starters or entertained them if you are lifting the WC on July 9th... :drool:

Oh, THAT DVD. :D I have actually been trying to find the main actress for a while... as she seems to be completely missing from the face of the Earth. Maybe she found another director willing to do more complicated scenes? :hmm:

Yeah, I miss her too. She could be hiding in PLEBA, though.

I'm afraid the DVD has been pulled back :(

Who do you think has been the most impressive side so far ?
my vote goes to spain

U2Man said:

Yeah, I miss her too. She could be hiding in PLEBA, though.

I'm afraid the DVD has been pulled back :(

Noooooo.

You have to find us a new actress. I have already booked the studios and everything.

vaz02 said:
Who do you think has been the most impressive side so far ?
my vote goes to spain

Pretty even World Cup so far. I think that you need to consider whom the teams have been playing against to have a better judgment:

Germany: 3 wins. Solid so far, will get better as the tournament goes along. Has the support of the home crowd. However, has played 3 rather weak teams and had a hard time beating Poland.

England: 2 wins and a draw. Not convincing in the first two matches against weak teams like Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago. Played a good first half against Sweden, but mysteriously disappeared in the second half.

Argentina: 2 wins and a draw. Played a good first half against Ivory Coast and a great match against Serbia. Played better than Holland but lacked spark. A potential quarterfinal with Germany would be great to watch.

Netherlands: 2 wins and a draw. Solid wins against Serbia and Ivory Coast. Lacked willpower against Argentina. However, team is well structured and if they get past Portugal, they have a shot at beating England in the quarterfinals.

Italy: 2 wins and a draw. Good win against Ghana, poor performance against the U.S. Solid win against the Czech Republic, with the caveat that they played with one more player for over half of the match. Italy is Italy, regardless, and should go far.

Brazil: 2 wins. Conservative wins, should display more. However, Brazilians are known for playing a bad group stage and then starting it up in the round of 16. Still, in my opinion, the team to fear and the one I would never want to face (until the final, at least).

France: 2 draws. The weakest of the so-called favorites. Should beat Togo and move on to the next round, but if they end up second in their group, they might face Spain.

Spain: 2 wins. Solid performances, particularly in the first match. However, rivals have been weak (they have perhaps the easiest group of them all). And their bracket looks awful, having to face possibly France in the round of 16 and Brazil in the quarterfinals. I feel further frustration for Spain in this World Cup.

Overall, so far, I have liked Spain, Germany and Argentina. However, all of these teams are still candidates and should raise their level even further in the knockout stage.

Long live the World Cup! :up:

Wow so many discussion around here , and I missed it . It's always funny when I'm around theres small talk , and when I'm away the disc. goes on.

It seems that Brazil today will start to using it's best power . Robinho , Cicinho and Arsenal's UCL finalist Gilberto will start . If they could add Juninho and put Ronaldinho to attack , possibly in a 4-3-3 , like Barca , then Brazil would be Brazil again. It's funny but it's just like that I dont think Brazil will start to be really feared until Ronaldinho doesnt go as a striker.

My Voice have been heard , Juninho is playin ! I'm crazy to see those Free-Kicks :drool:

Finally a decent start up by Brazil , it seems that is today they are beginnin the cup >

U2@NYC said:

Noooooo.

You have to find us a new actress. I have already booked the studios and everything.

Only one actress can do this.

Guess we'll just have to hope that the DVD will eventually surface. Maybe they're just perfecting it at the moment and aiming for a christmas release :D

U2@NYC said:

Pretty even World Cup so far. I think that you need to consider whom the teams have been playing against to have a better judgment:

Germany: 3 wins. Solid so far, will get better as the tournament goes along. Has the support of the home crowd. However, has played 3 rather weak teams and had a hard time beating Poland.

England: 2 wins and a draw. Not convincing in the first two matches against weak teams like Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago. Played a good first half against Sweden, but mysteriously disappeared in the second half.

Argentina: 2 wins and a draw. Played a good first half against Ivory Coast and a great match against Serbia. Played better than Holland but lacked spark. A potential quarterfinal with Germany would be great to watch.

Netherlands: 2 wins and a draw. Solid wins against Serbia and Ivory Coast. Lacked willpower against Argentina. However, team is well structured and if they get past Portugal, they have a shot at beating England in the quarterfinals.

Italy: 2 wins and a draw. Good win against Ghana, poor performance against the U.S. Solid win against the Czech Republic, with the caveat that they played with one more player for over half of the match. Italy is Italy, regardless, and should go far.

Brazil: 2 wins. Conservative wins, should display more. However, Brazilians are known for playing a bad group stage and then starting it up in the round of 16. Still, in my opinion, the team to fear and the one I would never want to face (until the final, at least).

France: 2 draws. The weakest of the so-called favorites. Should beat Togo and move on to the next round, but if they end up second in their group, they might face Spain.

Spain: 2 wins. Solid performances, particularly in the first match. However, rivals have been weak (they have perhaps the easiest group of them all). And their bracket looks awful, having to face possibly France in the round of 16 and Brazil in the quarterfinals. I feel further frustration for Spain in this World Cup.

Overall, so far, I have liked Spain, Germany and Argentina. However, all of these teams are still candidates and should raise their level even further in the knockout stage.

Long live the World Cup! :up:

My view on the current ranking:

1. Argentina.
Great troup, has shown that they have the ability to play champagne football and play cynically, if necessary.

2. Italy
A few days ago, I wouldn't have put them here, but....
Weak game against the U.S., but their recent victory over the Czechs (sp) has given them momentum and confidence. Typical Italian victory; it has suited them well and they will be hard to defeat from now on.

3. Brazil
Like Argentina, great troup, and they haven't showed us what they are fully capable of yet. It would be a remarkable achievement to win the cup once again.

4. Germany.
Don't ever rule these out. They have surprised positively and will only get better.

5. Spain
But as U2@NYC pointed out...tough road ahead for them.

Last edited:
As sad as I am to see the US get knocked out, I'm glad their slot went to Ghana. I love watching teams with heart playing at this level.

Anyone give Portugal a chance? I think they can beat Holland, and if Christian Ronaldo woul pass the goddamn ball once in a while, he could be one of the games best. Figo is a great leader, and Pauleta can shoot quite well. If they cget past Holland, I think they can beat both England (with the way they've been playing...) and Ecuador (another team I'm happy to see make it tot he 2nd round).

Game I most want to see: Brazil - Argentina would be an awesome final too. South America just might explode if it were to happen. I'd also like to see Argentina/Spain. NICE!

Brazil will win this game.

But the fact that they were down to Japan shows how embarassingly bad their defense is. Very vulnerable.

And fat Ronaldo probably scored with his belly... :madspit:

Good to finally see some Brasil lovely passes and Ronaldo scoring (hehe - Japan led to them for a while).

As for AUS-CRO: :coocoo: red cards everywhere, but Aussies put up a good fight.

My favourites so far are Spain, Italy, Argentina and Netherlands. Germany, England and France in particular were dissapointing.

Last edited:
Yep Brazil is Brazil again , not so good defense , great attack as always .

You understand what I say about this start line up ..

Juninho's kick :drool: Ronaldinho playing already 65% of What He can do , whatta pass . And even fat Ronaldo shined again .

And you gotta admite japan's Gk is one hell of GK , well at least He was on the 1st half . It should've been like 7-2 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom