Dalton and NSW's Beijing Olympics Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I want to know is where are the classic events like javelin, shot put, long jump, high jump etc.? Maybe I'm missing them when they are being broadcast but overall there seems to be too much swimming and too little of other stuff.

What I want to know is where are the classic events like javelin, shot put, long jump, high jump etc.? Maybe I'm missing them when they are being broadcast but overall there seems to be too much swimming and too little of other stuff.

Zoots, they have just started. Track & Field just began. Swimming and T/F are not held at the same time, typically.

A tape delay of 8 to 12 hours is nothing when you are used to that. :shrug:

I hate it because I'm not used to it. We always have it live when it's actually on and then tape delayed for people who wish to watch in prime time. Given that NBC is running the games on 4 bloody channels, there is no reason why they can't do this.

I am a huge sports fan. It's NOT fun for me to watch a race in which I know the results, sorry. I guess if I was just a casual viewer, I wouldn't care. But for example, I like following athletics during the year, the championship race, etc. So watching 100m 10 hours later is total balls.

Well, the all-around was televised Live to the Eastern and Central time zones, so, they had no control over just how long it ran. For you, though, as we've debated endlessly, they could have also show it Live, and you could have seen it around 9pm or so.

I know, I'm not trying to get into a debate about it, it just confuses me. I don't recall NBC going past 11 in past years. Didn't they used to run primetime Olympics coverage 8-11, stop for the news and whatever else, and then continue after midnight or something?

Granted, this is better because they're obviously showing more events than you could cram into a 3-hour highlights special, but I think I'm just making my brain hurt figuring out the time zones, what's live and how NBC is making their programming.

No big deal. :)

The ceremony begins with a 9-year-old Chinese girl standing on a platform and singing "Ode to the Motherland," which, it later turns out, has actually been prerecorded by Milli Vanilli.

Men's cycling begins with a large group of riders heading out into the smog, never to be seen again. Their medals are awarded to Phelps.
:lmao:!!!

That article is hilarious! Thanks for posting that - as a resident of Seattle, I can't really say I check out the local newspapers (online or print) that often. :reject:

I can't even pick a favorite joke from that, but this one is gold:

Phelps invades Georgia. Upon return, he wins his 33rd gold medal by swimming the 200 butterfly with his goggles completely filled with battery acid.

This one got me:

East Coast viewers watch Phelps, who trails by 49 meters at the 50-meter mark, leap like Shamu the killer whale into the air, fly the length of the pool, and somehow defeat stunned Serbian swimmer Milo Cavic, who has been sitting in the finish area smoking a cigarette for at least 12 minutes.

Some of the NBC bashing seems over the top to me, and some of it seems dead-on.

So....if anyone feels like bashing the clown interviewing the T/F athletes after they race, I'd not stand in your way. He sucks, and I've seen him at other things NBC covers, and he's equally bad there. I don't know why he's there, I don't know why he's allowed to be on air for important sporting events.

I gotta say, men's gymnastics just isn't as fun to watch as women's gymnastics.

It's not just because it's fun to watch women...I just think the female body is more conducive to the beauty of the sport than the male body is.

I think it's also the awkwardness of the floor.

Because on something like the rings or the high bar, the men are just totally awesome.

Yeah, with men's gymnastics, I usually end up thinking "Yes, yes, we can see how very strong you are. Here's a cookie."

Men's gymnastics appear to me to be more about sheer feats of strength; women's gymnastics for me are more about the skills they can do on whatever apparatus.

Yeah, with men's gymnastics, I usually end up thinking "Yes, yes, we can see how very strong you are. Here's a cookie."

Men's gymnastics appear to me to be more about sheer feats of strength; women's gymnastics for me are more about the skills they can do on whatever apparatus.

If only the men knew that after all that training, dedication, etc, that there's a girl in Seattle who wants to give them a cookie for their efforts.

Back
Top Bottom