2010-2011 NBA Thread Episode III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I chose my words poorly there, Seven, but you're just way too preoccupied with everyone hating on them. It happens. We've got a ton of Yankees fans here. I'm a Cowboys fan. Sports need villains. You happen to root for a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Take the wins, take your licks when they lose, and don't worry about everyone else.

I have no sympathy for a team whose personalities placed a bullseye on their back and then acted surprised under the media, player and fan scrutiny that came as a result. They've done nothing to command respect as a team until they win a title. If they do, then the narrative will shift and you'll have something less to complain about.

It's not just you, LuckyNumber7. I mean, it's partially you, but it's also that you cheer for a team whose success reflects poorly on the league, a team filled to the brim with assholes. Your fandom is not entirely your fault, it's also to a degree a geographic thing. But you were also being an asshat with your last post, forcing crow upon everyone here the night of. Fuck that. The series isn't even over, and the championship looms.

Lately I've been really trying to just not have active conversations and arguments with people like this because quite honestly I hate doing so.

But, this was particularly warranted. What, do you expect me to go anti-bandwagon or something? I was born and raised in South Florida, just like the fact that you see these Chicago area posters rooting for Chicago. It makes perfect fucking sense. I don't just disown my team because you don't like the players attitudes on the team.

And to counteract your statement. Filled to the brim with asshole. The mainstream attention towards the Heat just makes you want to hate the rest of them. LeBron James is a pretentious asshole. Congratulations. Anything you say about the rest of them can be said for every single NBA player with very few exceptions. You want to see the Bulls beat the Heat. That's why you'll probably refuse to acknowledge the fact that Derrick Rose is a mirror image of Dwyane Wade's attitude. Luol Deng is also an asshole. Carlos Boozer is an asshole. I mean, if that's the way you're going to define asshole, of course.

I was being an 'asshat' with my last post. Yeah? Well what about the copious amounts of asshole posts during the season? I get called out for one post, celebrating my team's victory, rubbing it into the haters because the team is doing everything that those same haters said they couldn't?

It's not Chicago fans I'm targeting in the least. In fact, that post had nothing to do with the series. It was to anyone and everyone who said any of those things wouldn't/couldn't happen.

Yeah, if I could apologize on behalf of the team, I would. That shit was seriously hard to watch. His mannerisms are flat out infuriating. The guy plays the villain very well, I will give him that.

Derrick's performance at the very end of regulation and OT was definitely disappointing. But I have to say, regarding the final shot of regulation - I honestly don't mind it that much. The kid has proven that he can drain that step back jumper, any time, any situation. Hell, he's proven throughout the year that he can make any shot. And that step back J especially has become one of his go-to moves over the last month or two of the season. I don't have a problem with him going for that shot right there. He wasn't all that close to making it, and Lebron played good D but, yeah, what can you do?

I'm not going to second guess the guy that has carried the team all year and put together one of the most impressive individual seasons I've ever seen by an athlete (not counting this particular series). 100% confidence in Rose, always.

In case any of this was in reference to my comment about him pissing the game away....I meant all his turnovers....that final shot? I had zero problem with it, thought he was gonna hit it, actually.....

Anyway, sorry they lost, I'm pulling for them, as you know, partly cos of you and Philbert....

Everyone loves the fans/players who constantly calls out their "haters." It's a classy ride up to Respectville.

Everyone loves the fans/players who constantly calls out their "haters." It's a classy ride up to Respectville.

Cool. At this point I'm not trying to make anyone love me, so I really don't care. I feel that I did get enough mocking responses about 7 or 8 months ago that I get to throw it back. Sorry if that bothers you. There's enough people here who already choose not to respect me. I'm not asking for respect.

Let it be known though that this is the first time that I've truly poked fun the other way - see the response it gets?

Oh bullshit. You're incredibly defensive when people aren't on your side.

Go through latter three quarters of the season and the playoffs. In discussion, tell me, how many times I've really gotten into it with somebody? After a Heat loss?

Yeah, it happened a lot at the very beginning of the season. I am a defensive person, but only when I feel that something is directed at me. But I let it go for the most part, and let it be handled right now in the playoffs instead.

So, lets see, how many times can we reference Joel Anthony in a mocking manner, or perhaps post an image of Chris Bosh getting dunked on (or another joke image) in a sarcastic response to one of my posts? You know what that tells me? It says we're laughing at you. Well, now, day by day, more and more reasons are appearing to laugh back at you.

Derrick Rose is a mirror image of Dwayne Wade?

What?

Both players attitude and demeanor on the court are incredibly similar. If Derrick Rose were on this team and Dwyane Wade were in Chicago in Rose's position, you'd all be villain-izing Rose so badly it's not even funny.

You know the old "take it one game at a time" sports cliche?

Let's roll with that one.

Win game 5 at home.

Then it's fucking on like Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for the Super Nintendo.

If Rose said something along the lines of "the world's a better place, the Heat is losin'," then yes, he'd be made fun of.

In more lighthearted news, I read an interesting stat just now that I would like to share with everyone. As of yesterday, in the last ten years (regular season and playoffs), a team has trailed by 15 points with five or less to play 5016 times. Those teams lost 5015 of those games. Take dat wit chew.

I'm super happy for Dwayne Wade that he finally has some talent around him that approaches his level. He's been my player for years. I hate that Lebron gets to be a part of it if he does win again, but that's a sidebar to me. I also have plenty other sortof "hometown" reasons to cheer for Miami: Joel Anthony (and previously but still around, Magloire) and I never disliked Chris Bosh per se when he played in Toronto, he gave us some good times. I also just happen to love the city of Miami itself, so there's that.

I have a ton of respect for Derrick Rose. He's beyond special. He might need a few more tries at it to get through to a championship, though. Experience will be what elevates him further.

I don't get people who get riled up over haters especially in sports. You're doing something wrong if you don't have haters.

I think that it's time to give the Heat some credit. In a game in which Wade was nearly nonexistent, they won with defense, grit, and some key contributions from players outside of the usual three. I think that Lucky has a point in this sense: had Miami been the Celtics last night, a lot of people here would be praising their tenacity and determination rather than disparaging them. I personally don't want to see a Miami championship, but I have to admit that they are playing frighteningly strong basketball right now.

The Heat are definitely peaking at the right time, I think Haslem being healthy is a big factor there, gives them a very capable defender off the bench. Their speed/athleticism in the halfcourt defensive set is making life miserabull (see what I did there GAF?) for Chicago.
They're a lock to win the title right now unless LeBron blows out his knee.

So, lets see, how many times can we reference Joel Anthony in a mocking manner, or perhaps post an image of Chris Bosh getting dunked on (or another joke image) in a sarcastic response to one of my posts? You know what that tells me? It says we're laughing at you. Well, now, day by day, more and more reasons are appearing to laugh back at you.

if you had never set foot in this forum... i can promise you, and may god strike me dead if i'm lying, that i would still despise the heat with the fire of a thousand suns, think jor el blew, and root for the ultimate demise of these fuck nuts with all my heart. i would still take utter joy in any sort of bad thing that happens to them. you have absolutely nothing to do with it. this, i guarantee.

the heat's defense has been great for a few months. it's not as technically perfect as some other recent teams like boston or the pistons of a few years back had been... it's still very good in that sense, but it is as good as it is largely because of their sheer athletic and physical advantages. they bully teams, much in the way the pat riley knicks teams of the 90's did... only with superior talent.

and hey, good on them for figuring out a way to get it done. just don't ask me to be impressed that 3 top 20 guys had to come together to get by the rest of the NBA... and did it in the exact opposite way that many people thought they would.

everyone thought this team would mirror a past pat riley team... but not the knicks. people thought they would be an explosive offensive team like the lakers. they are not. they are not a good offensive team. they create a lot of baskets because of their defense, and hope that the large 2 1/2 can carry them. thus far in this post-season, they have done just that.

i'll also say that i've watched very little of this series since game 1. i've got too much shit going on these days to watch offensive basketball be, well, truly offensive till 2 in the morning. i like sleep, and sleep likes me.

i can only hope dirk destroys them, and rights everything that is wrong in this world. but i am resigned to the fact that these insufferable pricks will be winning a championship. i hate that, but hey... what'cha gonna do.

but again... don't kid yourself. my hatred of the heat has 100% nothing to do with you. you are insignificant in the development of my basketball opinions. i can't speak for anyone else on these boards, but i'm gonna assume they feel the same way. but you may believe whatever you'd like.

I am not doubting in the slightest that you would hate the Heat. That's beyond obvious. Everybody would still hate the Heat. I don't know why you think I take the hatred of the Heat personally; I don't.

I do take certain responses personally, however. It's a half-and-half thing, though. Some of my response comes from the fact that utter garbage has been flying out of peoples mouthes all season simply because they hate the Heat and they want to discredit them as much as they want. In that case, you're just being wrong. Making excuses as to why they aren't so great simply because you don't want them to be so great.

LuckyNumber7 said:
I am not doubting in the slightest that you would hate the Heat. That's beyond obvious. Everybody would still hate the Heat. I don't know why you think I take the hatred of the Heat personally; I don't.

I do take certain responses personally, however. It's a half-and-half thing, though. Some of my response comes from the fact that utter garbage has been flying out of peoples mouthes all season simply because they hate the Heat and they want to discredit them as much as they want. In that case, you're just being wrong. Making excuses as to why they aren't so great simply because you don't want them to be so great.

Please.

The heat gave had many issues all year wrong. They weren't excuses in denial of their all powerful greatness, they were real live issues.

They seem to have solved most of those issues.

What's the diff between 3 guys like Wade, Lebron and Bosh coming together to get by the rest of the NBA vs 3 guys like, say, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce coming together to get by the rest of the NBA? It's practically the same story, except of course the fact that the Celtics added even more big names to the equation. :shrug:

Please.

The heat gave had many issues all year wrong. They weren't excuses in denial of their all powerful greatness, they were real live issues.

They seem to have solved most of those issues.

Please, right back at you. Yes, there were real, live issues. But there were also these theoretical bullshit issues that people would devise up once they see something small but big enough to stick under a high powered microscope and make a big deal out of.

What's the diff between 3 guys like Wade, Lebron and Bosh coming together to get by the rest of the NBA vs 3 guys like, say, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce coming together to get by the rest of the NBA? It's practically the same story, except of course the fact that the Celtics added even more big names to the equation. :shrug:

Two big talents and a massive ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom